Ali Baba: Fooling the Forty Thieves: An Arabian Tale

Ali Baba: Fooling the Forty Thieves: An Arabian Tale (Graphic Myths And Legends)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  37 reviews
This graphic novel tells a classic tale from Arabian Nights, a famous work of Middle Eastern literature. Ali Baba, a poor man who makes his living selling wood, stumbles upon a secret cave where 40 bandits have been hiding priceless treasures. He enters the cave and decides to take some treasures for himself. Ali Babas wife is thrilled at their newfound fortuneuntil she ac...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Graphic Universe (first published 1717)

Manny
How Good Is Your Repartee? (1)

Hanging out being witty all day on Goodreads is no joke [pauses for laughter], and without constant practice you'll quickly become exhausted. In this occasional series, loosely inspired by the Patrice Leconte movie Ridicule, I'm going to provide you with useful examples to hone your already rapier-sharp ésprit. You can't afford not to read it! So, here's #1:

Your partner is making dinner, and is trying to get the top off a bottle of sesame seed oil. She appeals to yo...more
Gary
A short picture book with beautiful art work. This gives the reader the Arabic feel and atmosphere of where the story is set. The story is full of trickery, theft and death, which can be a great way of introducing these topics or just the vocabulary to young children.

The story begins with a loud noise coming from the ground which encourages Ali Baba to investigate. He discovers a secret cave, by using the magic words ‘Open Sesame’, he is able to enter a cave full of riches. The story continues...more
Tina Roberts
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves is a classic adventure folk tale of Arabic origin. The original version is quite sinister but the story is frequently adapted to make it more palatable for children, and since this particular edition is aimed at children, I assumed it would have been.

I read it in dual language Arabic and English, so perhaps the original Arabic story has been a little more literally translated. I found this version to be more graphic that I had anticipated and thought that it didn’t...more
Jackie Pino
This tale takes readers back in time to ancient Persia where Ali Baba finds the hiding spot for the treasure stolen by a band of thieves. When Ali’s brother is killed trying to steal a great deal of valuables from this hideout, Ali must not let on that he knows the location of the stolen goods, but still retrieve his brother’s body. The robber chief spends the rest of the tale trying to find Ali Baba. This tale addresses the traditional story issues of obtaining rewards for good behavior and pun...more
Jess
Jun 17, 2011 Jess rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not kids.
Recommended to Jess by: Browsing folktales; desire for more Arabian Nights tales
Not to be a prude, but hello violence, didn't know I was going to meet so much of you here. Seriously. Whoa. Remind me not to steal from a thief's cave. I don't even know words like Sesame outside of the Street.

Egads!

It's not bad. It's just the first time I've read this story. This one's a bit scarring for everyone the first time they read it, right?

Brennan Wieland
From this story is where we get the famous phrase "Open Sesame", which you might recognize from one of the Aladdin movies. I didn't enjoy this much, nothing too exciting or different from the other books I've been reading. You really start to notice some reoccurring themes in these children's books.
Ania
After enjoying Aladdin and the Magic Lamp, I decided to read this one. It was quick and ended rather abruptly. I did enjoy it a lot as a child and it was nice to revisit this story.
Randa
first book from my dad to me when i was 7 and i read to my family loudly ,they laugh soooo much becouse i read the words wrong but i still see that book as my precious treasure and still keep it dispite it's look like a pharaons's books ^___^
Vika
I actually found this story pretty disturbing, because the 'slave girl' killed 40! people and was completely peaceful about it.....
The message it sends to the kids... "If the person is bad, you can kill them, don't worry about it" :/
Isabel
A bit on the violent side, but a great story! The patterns in the illustrations are great.
Matt
I do wonder why its called Ali Baba when at the real heroic stuff is done by his maid...
Nicola Mansfield
A retelling of the famous Arabian Nights tale in which the phrase "open sesame" originates. A detailed retelling that manages to keep all the gruesome violent bits of the original tale while keeping the story family friendly. Recommended for ages 10-14 by the publisher I tend to agree as the violent bits while not actually shown are alluded to through words and images, leaving the goriness to the imagination. There is one scene with a pool of blood. Written at a 3.0 Reading Level, this will be g...more
Katie
I wouldn’t have expected it, but the graphic novel format lends itself well to the story of “Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves” from the Arabian Nights. The tale follows Ali Baba as he discovers the secret lair of a group of thieves and steals from it. Later his brother’s wife discovers that Ali Baba has money and urges her husband to find out the secret, which he does. After hearing it he, of course, goes to the lair as well. He does not fare as well as Ali Baba and is brutally murdered by the thi...more
Snuffles
Somehow I was under the assumptions that this was a children's classic. It's not, is it?

I don't have much of an opinion on the story. I didn't sympathize with anyone in particular or was excited by the story at any point. There's also no major moral or anything to the story - or if there was, I seem to have missed it. ;)
Nick
This is a good, solid graphic novel version of the classic Arabian Nights story. Be warned, though, that by being true to the original, it's a bit gruesome for younger readers. Characters die in the story, and pretty horribly. While most of the deaths are technically "off stage," in at least two cases there's a LOT of blood shown in the panels, and one of the deaths is described very thoroughly, as a plot point.
For middle school-aged kids, this is a good introduction to the tales of 1001 nights....more
Holland Crook
This is the first graphic story I can ever remember reading, and I really enjoyed it. I think the pictures do a wonderful job at telling the story, so even if students get lost they can continue following with their eyes and probably still understand what was going on. I really enjoyed the idea of a graphic story as well, I think that sometimes kids like to read different material than what I read so it was good for me to expand my horizons.
Ben
I remembered the story from childhood. Loved it again. The words open sesame and close sesame remain in my memory. a great adventure tale. A great ending with all the characters living happily ever after. The bad guys all meet their doom. Fast paced and interesting twists. One of my all time favorites.
Lindsay
This was a great story, very entertaining. No wonder the sheikh didn't have Scheherazade executed. Ali Baba is an epic dumbass, and I was pretty glad his dickhead brother-in-law got offed. The slave deserved a better reward than just being married off to Ali Baba's son, although, since she kept saving his ass, keeping her around was the smartest thing Ali Baba did in the whole story.
Laura Craner
I read this one aloud to my kids on the looooong drive across Colorado. It was free for my kindle as part of the anthology _Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know_. More than anything what sells this story is the happy surprise of Morgiana's character. That woman is a novel unto herself; I hope someone (maybe me?) someday writes a novel based on her.
Ruo Nan
Considering I only understood about half of this, I thought it was pretty entertaining.
I read this book in French for French class. During the beginning half we read straight from the text and for the second half she gave us a rough translation.
This story isn't something you read to children right?
L11-Mary Utterback
I was not that familiar with the story of Ali Baba before reading this rendiiton. I was shocked at the gruesomeness of the story. There is a body that is chopped into pieces and sewn back together and other crazy stories. Although, kind of gory I really liked the story and the illustrations.
The text is pretty similar to the Ali Baba story my grandmother used to tell me when I was young, but the goriness didn't affect me then as much as seeing the actual images. The illustrations are horrific because they show a beheaded man and cadaver being sewn up.
Gusson Abdallah
This was a pretty good book, but I do not believe it portrayed a real message. It contained some gruesome parts that are not fit for elementary students to read. Although it helps kids learn and see a different culture, it is not really fit for young children.
Tanya Shvet
Tale of the Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves is very interesting. I liked her character Mercan she is very smart and wise, thanks to its cunning Ali Baba remained alive. I am very glad that the end of the story she married the son of Ali Baba
Douglas Echenique Zambrano
Clásico infantil sobre un chico que consigue una cueva magica con mencionar las palabras "abrete sesamo" pero la cueva es de 40 ladrones
John
A short graphic novel of Ali Babba and the forty thieves. Covers the story well and has nice artwork but short.
Maggie
fun story, of course. b j harrison reading voice is very good for this children's classic.
Cheryl
Adapted from the Arabian nights with nice colorful illustrations. Old but in good shape
Isabelle
Super short book. But I'm glad I finally got to know what this story was all about.
Ruth Omunda
A quick read that is very captivating for young readers.
  • The Bremen Town Musicians
  • The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons (Practical Guides)
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Kitchen Knight: A Tale of King Arthur
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • The Sweet Smell of Christmas
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita