Start by marking “Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change” as Want to Read:
Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change

Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change (Applications of Motivational Interviewing )

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,201 ratings  ·  42 reviews
This bestselling work has introduced hundreds of thousands of professionals and students to motivational interviewing (MI), a proven approach to helping people overcome ambivalence that gets in the way of change. William R. Miller and Stephen Rollnick explain current thinking on the process of behavior change, present the principles of MI, and provide detailed guidelines f ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 428 pages
Published April 12th 2002 by The Guilford Press (first published August 9th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Motivational Interviewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motivational Interviewing

Morgan Blackledge
I read an earlier addition of this manual when I was in school working towards my MA. I thought it was brilliant back then. But I had no idea how effective this stuff would be in practice. I'm currently doing my (MFT) internships and just beginning to implement this stuff, and WOW, it really works.

The first time I experienced a client drop dramatic, sudden, emphatic change talk in a session my jaw just about hit the floor. I was with a client who was on the verge of becoming homeless, but could
Chelsea Jennings
This is the most logical and effective approach I've learned for evoking change in people. I've seen it work in practice. It's pretty amazing. It would be a very good thing if this were required reading and training for everyone working in counseling, social work, medicine, criminal justice and teen mentoring as well as many other applications.
Mengran Xu
As a new therapist, I often struggle over one thing—my client does not appear motivated enough. We have followed the CBT approach, but they are not doing thought records, they are not doing their exposures, they are not paying attention to our discussions from previous sessions. In short, they are not doing what we want them to do. But this stance is exactly the root of all the problems.

My initial response was twofold: I either blamed myself or the client. It could be that I have pushed too fa
Leigh
Motivational Interviewing is a useful style of interacting with people in counseling situations where the person may not want to be there & may not see the need for change. This book gives a very easy-to-understand & practical guide to using this style to help people build their own motivation for change. It provides a good mix of theory & practice for clinicians & I think it's useful for anyone who works with people who may not want help.
Maya
Apr 25, 2014 Maya marked it as to-read
i have done my master in social work and near to start any job .that's way i want to read some books which can help me in my practice.
Lisa
Apr 01, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: therapists who want to empathize and still get paid for it
This is only example #2 of an Empirically Supported Treatment that, despite my skepticism of ESTs (thanks to their history of strict session-by-session manualization in a cognitive-behavioral style) has really grabbed me as doable for both therapist and client.

The MI technique comes from the substance abuse field, and strikes me as an amazing revelation in that field. Over time, it's become apparent that it's also wildly useful for any intervention in which shame or punishment has been a primar
Myridian
My purpose in reading this book was to get a better sense for motivational interviewing (MI) techniques and how to apply them to a health population. The first half of the book, by Miller and Rollnick, was helpful with this. The main problem is that the principles behind MI are theoretically simple, but pragmatically difficult to translate into effective interventions in the therapy room. The examples of transcribed client-therapist interactions were probably the most useful portion of the entir ...more
Siva
I found/find this book really difficult to read. It is more of a university type textbook and written in that style, for me. Not like a popular book style which is easier to read and finish. I still have to get the procedure for how to talk to my client.
Carolynne
Didn't have a chance to finish this before a new semester took precedence of my time. I appreciated Miller's interpretation of how people get stuck and how they need help to change; but I did not like his combative approach towards clients. I much prefer the SFBT approach developed by Insoo Kim Berg and Steve de Shazer in which the Client is the expert; not the therapist. They also approach each client with a sense of Curiosity and Respect. Miller's approach is that the therapist knows better. I ...more
Stacy
As an smoking cessation counselor without a formal background in addictions counseling, this book was exceptionally helpful in specific phrasings and ideas of how to work with my clients. However, I recommend it to all personal trainers, doctors, teachers, and anyone that uses the motivation to change to help people. Or anyone that has ever tried to help anyone who is ambivalent about making a decision.

There are some chapters that are pretty technical, but other sections are written very clearly
Emily
Apr 06, 2015 Emily added it
Understanding motivation changes your ability in your own life to make things happen!!
Janice
A great book for those in the "helping" professions, therapists, social workers, counselors, health coaches, etc. The process of Motivational Interviewing grew out of the Recovery field, but has application for many other therapeutic settings. This approach emphasizes: empathy, with boundaries; exploration of ambivalence; rolling with resistance; is client-centered and non-confrontational, but is directive. The authors also do a good job of discussing issues/clients with whom this approach is no ...more
Bob Flores
Awesome book! This is one of the books that Michael Dye created Genesis Process from. Now that I have read it, I have a broader understanding of this skill set which is crucial if you want to help prepare hearts to change. It's a very clinical book written for chemical dependency but it starts with Romans 7 just like Genesis does. I would recommend it for anyone who works with people in the area of addiction and coping behaviors.
K
Excellent. It's too bad that, as the authors say, you can't become a proficient motivational interviewer from reading a book. Still, though, the concepts and methods laid out in this book are clear and user-friendly, and to whatever degree I can, I've been using them with clients with some success. A wonderful approach for clients who are ambivalent about changing in therapy (who isn't, really?).
Patrick
though i did not feel that too much was breath-takingly new or anything, it did encourage me to be more mindful of my language and joining skills in sessions. i try not to use "but" at all and enjoy a new wrinkle to my approach with clients. i read it because it seems to be all the rage. next, i will look for the text specifically addressing MI and the JSO population.
Eyjólfur Örn Jónsson
A groundbreaking look at the therapeutic interview. Originally intended especially for working with people with addiction problems, in my experience it translates quite well for a variety of other clients. MI was a fantastic addition to my therapeutic skillset and definitely changed some of the ways I work as a clinical psychologist.
James
Mar 03, 2008 James rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in a helping profession
Shelves: psychology, reference
A useful tool in psychotherapy, well presented - essentially the application of the Socratic method to psychotherapy, specifically with the goal of helping people to see the ways in which their own behaviors are creating problems in their lives and motivating them to change what they're doing.
Fredric Mau
Sounds like a therapeutic technique, but is really a full-orbed approach to therapy. This is a great read for general readers though. If you've ever wanted to persuade someone, help some make a change, or needed a better way to handle an annoying roommate, this will help!
Mary
Reading this book (and attending a seminar) has really helped me to improve my clinical skills. I even noticed that I was a better listener at the office if I had been reading Motivational Interviewing the night before. I guess you're never too old to learn...
Hannah Levy
Too much talking, not enough doing. This book was not very hands-on and I don't feel like I know how to DO motivational interviewing after reading it, but I could probably tell you about the core concepts. I would stick with more hands-on therapy books.
Nickolas
Amazingly powerful and mind-bogglingly simple. This is one of those books that you could read, year after year, and still learn something new. While the ideas may seem easy to grasp, the depth of understanding and potential to master skills is profound.
Liese Recke
The first edition is quite interesting compared to the second and the latest. In this first edition Miller performs a direct attack on the American 12-step based addiction treatment industry - an attitude not existing in the later editions
Troy Littlejohn
I am going to re-read this book over and over again because it is a great tool to relate to people on a professional level. Any counseling should add this technique to their tool belt of techniques.
Ceema Samimi-Luu
A comprehensive introduction and excellent overview of MI, if at times a little bogged down in academic jargon.
Allison
Jul 24, 2013 Allison marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I heard there was a 2013 version. Was the person mistaken or is this not the most recent version?
Ariana
great way to learn about MI skills; a must-read for anyone working in direct human service fields.
Iso Cambia
Recommended in Peter Boghossian's "A Manual for Creating Atheists" (p. 95).
Natasa Tovornik
Great book and great technique. Written in a way that is also easy to learn.
Joshua
Jul 02, 2007 Joshua rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in clinical social work or how to motivate people
I love this book. It's great even if you aren't in social work.
Edward
It's hard for me to get MOTIVATED to read this book... Hahaha!
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook
  • On Being a Therapist (Jossey Bass Social and Behavioral Science Series)
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • Where to Start and What to Ask: An Assessment Handbook
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
  • The Family Crucible
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists

Applications of Motivational Interviewing (6 books)
  • Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook
  • Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • Motivational Interviewing in Social Work Practice
  • Motivational Interviewing in the Treatment of Psychological Problems, First Ed
Treating Addiction: A Guide for Professionals Rethinking Substance Abuse: What the Science Shows, and What We Should Do about It Quantum Change: When Epiphanies and Sudden Insights Transform Ordinary Lives Integrating Spirituality Into Treatment: Resources for Practitioners Controlling Your Drinking: Tools to Make Moderation Work for You

“If you treat an individual as he is, he will stay as he is, but if you treat him as if he were what he ought to be and could be, he will become what he ought to be and could be. —JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE” 2 likes
“People are the undisputed experts on themselves. No one has been with them longer, or knows them better than they do themselves. In MI, the helper is a companion who typically does less than half of the talking.” 0 likes