Start by marking “How to Help People Change: The Four-Step Biblical Process” as Want to Read:
How to Help People Change: The Four-Step Biblical Process

How to Help People Change: The Four-Step Biblical Process

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  192 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
“While touching on many aspects of counseling, this book . . . is specifically designed to elucidate the process of counseling. I have often mentioned and illustrated that process, but not in the focused and systemic way that the four-step biblical process is set forth here. . . . This book presents a fresh perspective not only on how to counsel, but also on what measures ...more
Published July 15th 1986 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about How to Help People Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Help People Change

Derek
Jun 08, 2012 Derek rated it did not like it
Fine if you're in a church setting, but utter garbage if you're held to a professional code of ethics.
Bill
Nov 08, 2012 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: counseling, schooling
It is apparent that Adams is a pioneer in Christian counseling if not for any other reason than his plethora of books written (of which he is very obviously proud of as he references them on numerous occasion) on the subject. He subscribes to the premise described by Dr. Larry Crabb as "Nothing Buttery" - absolutely nothing but Scripture is necessary to counsel and that there is nothing within secular psychology that is of value to the Christian counselor. He breaks down his concept of nouthetic ...more
Meghan
Jan 22, 2015 Meghan rated it liked it
While much of it is helpful and true, some parts are outright dangerous and unethical, like the way he handles Self-esteem (which if not dealt with can lead to depression, drug use, sexual issues , suicide, etc.) as well as his idea that counselors should proselytize to clients who aren't Christian, which is a clear violation of ethics codes if the individual has expressed no interest in such.
Debbie
May 03, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: discipleship
This book was written only for Christian counselors working in the context of a local church, counseling only Christians or those who choose to become Christians. The author is very clear about that. If that describes you, then you might profit from the book.
Karen
Jul 02, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for anyone in Biblical Soul Care. It takes 2 Timothy 3:16-17 and breaks it down into the 4 steps in which to counsel people. Teaching -- Conviction -- Correction -- Training in righteousness.
Craig Miller
Feb 02, 2016 Craig Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book in Christian Counseling!

I would recommend this book to any counselor, pastor, or ministry leader. If your role in the church is to enable other believers to change, this is for you! Very practical and useful information! But, in order to get details of some of the concepts, the other books referenced must be on the reading list!
Marc Plazola
May 11, 2016 Marc Plazola rated it it was amazing
Very simple, concise, and easy to understand for the reader. Definitely a must buy for any Christian seeking to learn how to counsel!
Joshua
Jul 01, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing
Potent and practical. A book that is easy to understand, but requires continual return to ensure that its principles are well applied.
Andrew Buehner
Nov 09, 2012 Andrew Buehner rated it it was ok
Saying that his premise is biblically directed really had my hopes up for this book. Aside from saying that I believe that the Bible is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction , for instruction in righteousness is about as far as I agree with Adams. I do not agree with his premise that Christians can not counsel unbelievers (who did Jesus say that the physician is for?), nor with most of his theology. I believe that the Scripture has the ability to ...more
mpsiple
Good reminder of the effectiveness of the Word, but sometimes simplistic.
CJ Bowen
Mar 30, 2011 CJ Bowen rated it liked it
Simple and useful. Adams works through II Timothy 3:14-17 to discern a framework for helping people change, moving from teaching to conviction to correction to training in righteousness. Much good and helpful material, at a Sunday school level. One note, though: if you do not know the definition of the word "milieu", you will be at a loss for a large portion of the book. Study that word, and know it well, and you will be prepared for any of the fifty-three times it appears.
Deb
Apr 06, 2014 Deb rated it it was amazing
This book is a helpful resource for the layperson who desires to counsel biblically those God places in their life.
Steve Murphy
May 03, 2013 Steve Murphy rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book in that it provides some profound practical help for Christians desiring to help others move past the lie that we aren't able to live righteous lives. In my top 5 right now.
Stephanie Broyhill
Oct 03, 2012 Stephanie Broyhill rated it did not like it
I had to read this for school. I hope I never have to read anything by Jay Adams ever again.
Chris Comis
Feb 13, 2009 Chris Comis rated it really liked it
Good stuff on counseling. Adams has many years experience doing it, too.
Michael Cranford
Apr 07, 2013 Michael Cranford rated it really liked it
Great introduction to the Nouthetic method of counseling.
Dirk
Feb 05, 2010 Dirk rated it liked it
practical approach to Christian Counseling
Andy
Aug 20, 2012 Andy added it
Shelves: owned
Nan Keen
Nan Keen marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Andreita Gp
Andreita Gp marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Andreea
Andreea marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Trena
Trena added it
Jul 25, 2016
Loli Adani
Loli Adani marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Peter
Peter is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2016
Michael Chrzanowski
Michael Chrzanowski marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
  • Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Depression: A Stubborn Darkness–Light for the Path
  • Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically (MacArthur Pastor's Library)
  • Healing the Masculine Soul: God's Restoration of Men to Real Manhood
  • Broken-Down House: Living Productively in a World Gone Bad
  • Connecting
  • Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder
  • Strengthening Your Marriage
  • Every Heart Restored: A Wife's Guide to Healing in the Wake of a Husband's Sexual Sin
  • For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage
  • Caring for People God's Way: Personal and Emotional Issues, Addictions, Grief, and Trauma
  • Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • Life Inside the "Thin" Cage: A Personal Look into the Hidden World of the Chronic Dieter
  • Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie"
  • Redemption: Freed by Jesus from the Idols We Worship and the Wounds We Carry
Also known as Jay Edward Adams
More about Jay E. Adams...