Start by marking “The Cowboy and the Lady” as Want to Read:
The Cowboy and the Lady

Diana Palmer

The Cowboy and the Lady

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  982 ratings  ·  38 reviews
At sprawling Casa Verde, old flames still burn...

Seven years ago Amanda Carson watched her affluent, well-respected family lose both face and fortune. Then her childhood crush--ice-cold cowboy Jace Whitehall--made her an offer she had to refuse. Now Amanda has returned to Casa Verde, Jace's luxurious home. And Jace isn't about to let her forget who she is or what she's los
ebook
Published May 14th 2014 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published July 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Cowboy and the Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cowboy and the Lady

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
The Cowboy and the Lady was a pleasure to read for me. I didn't enjoy the last book I read, and it was completely soothing to immerse myself in one of the sweet, yet passionate love stories that Ms. Palmer excels in telling. This book was published in 1982, and that is apparent in some ways, with the clothing details, and descriptions of surroundings, and the more old fashioned morals. However, the pure, essential love story is timeless.

For Palmer fans, this is nothing new. The innocent, very y
Aayesha
The 2 stars doesn't mean it was awful. I loved it; I love all Diana Palmer books, but this one wasn't as good as some other DP books. The way I rate Palmer's books is completely different than the way I rate regular reads. It's because I love Diana Palmer so much.

Anyways, moving onto the book. I absolutely loved Jason and it was quite obvious, unlike in other DP novels, that he was completely smitten with blondie, I forget her name (I'm awful with names). She, on the other hand, wasn't quite as
María
A classic love story with a strong man and a brave woman. This novel was written in 1982 and you can tell that because Jason, tne male MC, is the model for a hot guy in the 80s: harsh, reserved, with a hairy chest. I have something for this kind of man ;)
The big problem with Amanda and Jason is the misundestanding between both. They don't want to confess their love for each other and they lost seven years of happiness because of that. The affair between his father and her mother is a big obstacl
Emily
Two stars because I really liked it as a teenager, but really didn't like it now. I can see how I thought it was all romantic (dark, silent type, very manly man). As I read it now, I was mostly angry and disappointed.

First, the characters are very shallow and not that interesting; we don't really know anything about the heroine (other than she's beautiful and put-upon) and we don't know anything about the hero (other than that he's manly and rich).

Second, I actually threw the book across the r
Jenny
Romantic book filled with angst and misunderstandings. I thought heroine was wrong condoning her mother's behavior. Cheating is never right as far as I'm concerned and I thought heroine's mother was a hypocrite and a phony.

Hero and heroine were a lovely sweet couple and hero's declaration of love was quite epic and super romantic! Gotta love jealous, possessive heroes!
Katreniah
This book is one of Harlequin's Famous Firsts collections, and while I would have loved this book years ago in high school, I don't feel that it holds up to today's romance novel standards. The "hero" acts more like a surly high school student. Amanda, the main character, alternates between being scared of him and trying to be feisty. I just wanted them both to grow up and stop acting like children; I was amazed there wasn't a scene where he stole the comb from her back pocket and she chased him ...more
Aarann
Don't ask me why I chose to pick up a Diana Palmer from the library. Every time I get one of her books from the library, I hear the opening lyrics to that Jessie J song run through my head: "I stare at my reflection in the mirror / Why am I doing this to myself?" Generally, while I won't spend money on her books any longer because they make me ragey, I will get a yen every once in a while and it's off to the library I go. More often than not, I end up making fun of them the whole time, and yet a ...more
Dorit
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Oh, my! Another strong, alpha, 80s male by Diana Palmer. More cutting words from our hero and a suprise affair that seemed to come out of nowhere but wouldn't have if I'd been paying attention!

I got annoyed with the heroine, no surprise given the genre/time written...like leave already, stop throwing tantrums and be a woman! Jeez!
Kaycee Sapinoso
Miss Palmer, Thank you for the story of Jace and Amanda. It was worth waiting for.

Oh golly! I absolutely enjoyed reading The Cowboy and The Lady. I felt like I was a part of their story, like I was actually been with them from the first page up to the last.(more like a fly in the wall. Haha) After reading this book I felt like I'm on a roller coaster ride. One minute I'm laughing, then fuming then I started crying then laughing again. Diana Palmer always did that to me.

I know some of you thought
Mrs.soule
While this was definitely a 1980s romance, with the uber-macho hero and the wilting, long-legged blonde heroine, it was passionate and intensely romantic. AND it had no actual sex, which I didn't really notice due to all the seriously intense interactions, both physical and verbal, between the couple.
Lexy
So this is a book that I would like to read again it has been at least five maybe even as many as ten years since I last read this book. But I thought that it was a good book that is worth the time I have spent looking for a new copy for my collection.
Kym McNabney
THE COWBOY AND THE LADY automatically grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go until about the hundredth page. Very powerful! I couldn't put it down, needing desperately to find out what was going to happen next.

About the middle of the book the writing/story settled down. There were something's, as a writer, I would have done differently. The abruptness of the main characters hatred and love for one another, constant changing was a little over the top. But still, it was well written and
Barbara
“The Cowboy and the Lady” served as a reminder of how much I dislike Diana Palmer’s insipid romances. Once again, we have a naïve, virginal heroine, Amanda Carson (age 23) and her verbally abusive cowboy love Jace Whitehall (age 33). A reversal of fortunes has hit them both: Amanda’s wealthy family is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy due to her father’s mishandling of the family finances and his wife Bea’s impulse shopping. Jace’s family started off poor and, thanks to his ranching and breed ...more
Amanda Sheila
I have high expectation to this one--mostly because heroine's name, but well..

Amanda's been in love with Jace since forever. But apparently Jace hold out something from her. Some secrets that made him both love and hate her at the same time. But nasty remarks from him hurt her badly and accident happen to her..

Well, very Diana Palmer-y and if you're fan of her books, this one is not much different.

I don't really fond of Jace. Even though some Hero from Diana Palmer books are exactly the same,
Petra Grayson
This book was originally published in 1982. I just picked up a reprint at the used bookstore. I like almost all of Diane Palmer's Harlequin-length novels and this one was no different. Sometimes you just need a good 80's soap opera and Diane Palmer is perfect for that. All of anger and passion ping-ponging back and forth throughout the book. I love it. A lot of Diane Palmer heros are very hard, but Jace Whitehall was actually a nice guy and a lot of his dialogue was very sweet. The virgin/whore ...more
Robin
Aug 16, 2009 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any diana palmer fan
It took me this afternoon to read it so if you are looking for any depth you won't find it with this book. If you are a Diana Palmer fan you will not be disappointed. I compare it to Heart of Stone.

Diana Palmer has not moved from her formula that has proven to work. Setting is Texas, woman is early 20s, inexperienced in relationships and love, and is as sweet and innocent as they come. The man is in his early 30s who is experienced, angry, (sometimes a woman hater) and has some chip on his shou
Dianita S.
my all time favorite. the first book i read by diana palmer and it got me hooked to her books.
Adriana Fogaça
Coração de Caubói
Diana Palmer

Este livro não faz parte da série Homens do Texas, apesar da Harlequin Books, colocar essa informação na contra capa, mas infelizmente eles erraram feio, pois não faz parte da série, Ok?

Amanda Carson é loucamente apaixonada, desde seus 16 anos, por Jace Whitehall. Mas, para várias, ele a rejeitou no passado. Sete anos depois, ele a quer, mas segredos antigos, terão que ser revelados para que o casal possa ficar juntinhos.

Obs.: ...bem, quem gosta da autora Diana Palme
Teresa
~ 2.5 Stars ~ Originally published in 1982, so it had a very dated outlook. I didn't realize it wasn't a new book when I got it. I would not have gotten it, had I known.
T's Book
First read when I was 15, time and perspective ya'll. 4 nostalgic stars :)
I need to find this in paperback just so it can sit on my self.
Gmc
Laurie Gommermann
misogynist and ingenue, reversal of fortune, attraction against all odds,
great writing, kept me interested, both the hero and heroine were caring people but life forced them to stifle themselves and work hard for a living, great example of going after what you most desire.
Jo
Jason Whitehall/Amanda Carson-he was a rancher she was in adverting his younger brother Duncan got her to the ranch by telling her that they needed to update they information thur adverting they cattle to sell but the real reason was to get them togther. It worked !!!

Jason Whithall was the son of Cole and Lacy in "Lacy".
Judith Wright
Really the only thing that irked me about this one was how mean the male character was to the female. He was pretty harsh, but given when it was written (early 80s), I was a little lenient with my rating. The storyline idea was good though.
Avigail
One of her best books! This is exactly the reason why I LOVE Diana Palmer. The cliche of 'the more you hate, the more you love' apply on this book. Just love it!
Julie Raust
Loved this Diana Palmer book. I've re-read it a dozen times, a must read if you like the older alpha male hero type!!
Season
It was a cute story. An easy read. Entertaining, an predictable ending, but still making me laugh a bit.
Yahumara Aguirre
One on my all time favorite books of her. I read it all the time so maybe more than 2 times.
  • At Home In Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #6)
  • To Kiss a King (Kings of California, #11)
  • Texas Tender (The Cowboys, #12)
  • The Oilman's Baby Bargain (Texas Cattleman’s Club: Maverick County Millionaires #4)
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • The Loner (Bitter Creek, #3)
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • Passionate Scandal
  • Her Montana Man
  • Forever, Victoria
  • Reluctant Mistress, Blackmailed Wife
  • Blue Skies

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's liberation movement many years before it became fashionab
More about Diana Palmer...
Lawless Heartless (Long, Tall Texans, #36) Lawman (STP - Mira) Fearless (Long, Tall Texans, #35) Dangerous (Long, Tall Texans, #37)