Start by marking “The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits” as Want to Read:
The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits

The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This volume provides chart information on all songs and artists to make up the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart from 1955 to the end of the 20th century. Every artist entry begins with brief biographical information, followed by the date each single first reached the Top 40, the single's highest position in the chart, the number of weeks it remained in the cha ...more
Published March 23rd 2000 by Watson-Guptill Publications (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits

John Krafty
Jun 16, 2008 John Krafty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great, all-encompassing book of all hits to the the Billboard pop top 40 charts since 1955.
Marco
Jul 03, 2010 Marco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my 2nd Bible to go to.
Jeannie
Jul 13, 2014 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this book, I've learned so much about music from paging through it. It tells you essential info about an artist and the dates are really significant to the evolution (if you want to call it that) of music. I'll be going to this book for years to come.
Jun 25, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You might think the Internet can tell you everything about your music but this book is a much more concise way to get the information. It contains detail and statistics on every top 40 hit.
Stven
Oct 22, 2008 Stven rated it it was amazing
Indispensable reference book.
Alyce Rocco
Jun 09, 2012 Alyce Rocco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, I owned was a much earlier edition ~ 1955 - 1984.

I can not say I read every word in this reference book, but I bet I came close to doing exactly that. I used this book so often, I had to tape the cover back on (not hardcover). I wrote in the book, adding hits by favorite artists as the years passed. I also made notes, such as every artist I located with the same birth day as my own.

After a man loaned me one of his books, I felt obligated when he asked if he c
Chuck
Apr 07, 2012 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pop music lovers
This book is gospel for the pop music industry. I picked it up in the late eighties and since have read it cover to cover along with it's subsequent updated editions. I have tens of thousands of the recordings summarized in this book along with many of my own compilations of the music. The book covers the period starting January 1, 1955 and gives information on every pop song that entered the Billboard top40 along with information on how long and high high they charted. A monumental statiscal ef ...more
Blaine DeSantis
May 15, 2014 Blaine DeSantis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding reference book. Use it extensively for Music Trivia
Joe Pfeiler
Apr 22, 2013 Joe Pfeiler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read whatever version of this was available in 1985, and purchased the new versions as they came out. Great argument settler, too, for who recorded a song or when it came out.
Michael Todd
Mar 02, 2008 Michael Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I've had all of the editions since the mid-80s. The bible of all radio talent and anyone who enjoys music.
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Steve Moore
Steve Moore rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Larry Krotzer
Larry Krotzer marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Edward Ripple
Edward Ripple rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Hercules Repka
Hercules Repka rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
JFA
JFA added it
Apr 16, 2016
JFA
JFA marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Jay Kenyon
Jay Kenyon rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Bob M.
Bob M. rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Jena
Jena marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
David Tpc
David Tpc marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Nicole Moreau
Nicole Moreau rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Cindy Wylie
Cindy Wylie rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Susan Cramer
Susan Cramer rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Shawn Gallagher
Shawn Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015