Start by marking “Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited” as Want to Read:
Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited

Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited

Arthur Schwartz knows how Jewish food warms the heart and delights the soul, whether it's talking about it, shopping for it, cooking it, or, above all, eating it. JEWISH HOME COOKING presents authentic yet contemporary versions of traditional Ashkenazi foods-rugulach, matzoh brei, challah, brisket, and even challenging classics like kreplach (dumplings) and gefilte ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Aug 07, 2013 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodie, read2013
It was interesting to thumb through this cookbook on the heels of 97 Orchard : An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement, because much of the information in the chapter on Jewish Immigrants was mirrored in the textual parts of this cookbook. Schmaltz is praised and utilized like crazy; that just made me think I needed to pay more attention when I eat Jewish food (I don't eat chicken!)

The recipes come from the Ashkenazi tradition more or less, but it feels like Polish
Judy
Jun 24, 2008 Judy rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is as much a cultural/gastronomic history of Jewish people in the U.S. (mostly the New York area) as it is a cookbook. It tells the origins of certain recipes, and gives variations on how to make them. There is a chapter devoted to "Dairy Main Courses" that looks like a great source for our vegetarian meals. It has the standards I grew up eating - borscht, kugel, latkes, pickles, stuffed cabbage, etc. - as well as dishes I haven't heard of before.

AS I think about my experien
Anina
Mar 15, 2010 Anina rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cooking
This is Ashkenazi Jewish Cusine. Which is the type you are familiar with. You know...tongue (yum). Borscht. Cabbage and noodles. Lots of beige startchy things such as potatoes, farfel (look it up), pasta, matzo meal dumplings, and of course cottage cheese.

So yeah, being banished into caves in Russia, this is what we came up with. The history aspect of it is interesting. A grown man describing his love for cottage cheese is somewhat unsettling, but takes cajones. The part where I make chopped li
Davida "Davi"
Sep 14, 2009 Davida "Davi" rated it it was ok
I am not really a fan of this book, though I like Arthur Schwartz, and other things I've read by him.. This book is his memoir and his ode to his friends and family and the way he grew up Jewish and among Jews in New York City in the middle of the 20th century. I am a Midwestern/Southern Jew who grew up in the last quarter of the 20th century, and came to cooking later. These recipes are literally schmaltzy - most call for chicken fat, and the notes and context are particular to Mr. Schwartz's ...more
Johanna Haas
Jan 31, 2015 Johanna Haas rated it really liked it
The stories behind the food, both historical and personal, are the best part of the book. Centered around the immigrant communities of New York, the writing brings forth life in the neighborhoods just at the point before rapid Americanization. The recipes are harder - simple but hard-to-find ingredients and complex cooking procedures. It makes me want to travel to where someone else can prepare these foods for me.
Kathryn Lindsay
Jul 25, 2012 Kathryn Lindsay rated it really liked it
I reshelved this book at a library I have been volunteering at and thought it looked good, so I borrowed it myself. It has lots of interesting information about the recipes, and even though I don't have time to try out many of the recipes I have enjoyed learning more about Yiddish cuisine and looking at the beautiful photos. I wish I owned this book!
Amy
Apr 15, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
This book is just makes me drool. I haven't *actually* tackled anything from it yet. My top choices are: latkes, challah, matzo balls, or good chicken soup. I feel like if I don't get good at making these things, I'm disrespecting my mom and my nana. The traditions need to be carried on, I firmly believe it...
Michele
Jul 23, 2008 Michele rated it it was amazing
This cookbook almost reads as a memoir of the author's experiences with Jewish cuisine. While I'm unlikely to make any of the recipes, I just loved all the stories and connections to old New York. Plus, I finally learned what "cholent" is.
Gypsy Bailey
Mar 10, 2013 Gypsy Bailey rated it it was amazing
I wanted to learn something about Jewish cooking b/c a close friend is Jewish and from Brooklyn, and is a phenomenal cook. I can't tell you this book made me a better Jewish cook, but I learned so much about the culture and cooking. It is much more than a cookbook and is a delightful read, truly.
Sue
Jun 12, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Wish I owned it. Schwartz' revisits all those recipes you grew up with, well, er, if you grew up in a Jewish household. Great photos.
Marilynn Shea
Feb 24, 2013 Marilynn Shea rated it it was amazing
Arthur Schwartz has outdone himself with this cookbook..!! Plus the bonus of a little Yiddish..Love it!
M Kat
Feb 26, 2010 M Kat rated it liked it
A very New York, personal point of view and not too knowledgeable religiously but lots of interesting stories and good, easy to follow recipes.
Gale
Gale rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Richardmw2
Richardmw2 rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Fran Wilkins
Fran Wilkins rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2010
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Deb Oestreicher
Deb Oestreicher rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Vick
Vick rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Catherine Nathanson
Catherine Nathanson rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Kugel
Kugel rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2009
A.L. Stumo
A.L. Stumo rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Ms. S...........
Aug 01, 2009 Ms. S........... rated it liked it
Good reference for food and culture.
Allen Wheatley
Allen Wheatley rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Sharon Rottman
Sharon Rottman rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
The Enthusiastic Gourmet
The Enthusiastic Gourmet rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Lynda
Lynda rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2009
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011