Start by marking “What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale” as Want to Read:
What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Tom Sykes always liked to drink. When he was a teenager, alcohol offered a respite from the drudge of his uptight British boarding school, Eton College, and an exciting escape from the hurt of his rapidly disintegrating family.
And drinking was a lot of fun.
Whether knocking back pints with convicted killers after a day toiling in the fields of a strawberry farm or going g
Published October 30th 2007 by Modern Times (first published September 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about What Did I Do Last Night?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Did I Do Last Night?

Sep 19, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What confused me about this book is how easily the main character was able to overcome his addiction. For the whole book it portrays him as a completely out of control alcoholic and drug addict, which he was - but it seems that as soon as he starts going to AA, he is able to completely leave behind his old life. That really threw me. I can't help but think that he is sugar-coating his recovery. I thought the book was going to be more about his recovery but most of it was just a chronicle of all ...more
Jim
Jul 05, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Maybe it's because I can identify with some of the alcohol-fueled endeavors mentioned in the book. Maybe it's because I can also identify with the author being a writer and therefore a frequently drunk writer like myself. Maybe it's because I can identify with the parental abandonment issues he has that may or may not have been what caused his alcoholism in the first place. Whatever the reason, I definitely enjoyed this book much more than the previous memoir that was recommended to me. Sykes wr ...more
Tamara Doherty
This book was only "unputdownable" because I was desperately trying to find something likeable about this town-terrorizing drunk/drug-addict. Sykes and his antics were deplorable, and I was horrified by how someone's humanity could be so thoroughly replaced by a chemically-induced persona. The writing is brilliant for depicting the shocking emptiness and darkness of addiction, but it was a bit disturbing for my taste.

As far as accounts of falling into your own "addiction abyss," I liked "Dry" by
Eva Evangelisious
The authors has his own perception of alcohol that makes you actually relate your self with him and sympathize him. It can be witty and funny at the same time, helps you distract from your own problems.
Gretchen Carey
Aug 20, 2009 Gretchen Carey rated it liked it
This is a highly entertaing book about self destruction. It's a good guide to night life in London and New York as well. I want to go to some of these places he describes one day! It's sad that he almost looses everything because of his problems, but I feel like he is a good character to relate to. His problems could easily happen to any normal human being. His first few chapters about Eaton are interesting too and only further promote my idea that if you put too much restriction on kids they're ...more
Tim Corke
An easy read that follows the life of Tom as he boozes it up at university into a alcohol fuelled lifestyle as a reporter and journalist in London and New York. It's an amazing existence and makes you wonder how someone could maintain it for so long. It's written as almost a therapeutic reminisce and in places it's funny, sad, pretentious and incredulous and shocking.

It'll make you think and consequently also allow you to appreciate the occasional bottle of wine!
Joy
Jul 24, 2007 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drunks
sent to me for early review by the author, who is deliciously british and one of ny's socially prominent sykes clan. book really struck a cord with me, as i'm a weekly bar reviewer like sykes, though hardly of the page six caliber. he did a good job of humanizing the whole columnist lifestyle and was spot-on about how easy it is for the whole thing to spiral out of control--and into alcoholism.
John
Jan 28, 2008 John rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Those seeking a light read
This book started out alright with some funny stories about one person's excessive drinking. But soon, after hearing the same story night after night, it got old and I ended up disliking the storyteller wondering why he couldn't just get his life together. By the end he got it together but it could not make up for the rest of the book.
Justin
I would actually give this 3.5 stars. The book was written rather well and certainly kept my attention throughout. I guess I was hoping for more of a redemption-type story. If that's not really why you would read a book like this, then you would probably really enjoy this book.
Lauren
Apr 06, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story of how one becomes an alcoholic and how one can realize they're an alcoholic. I liked the scenes of NY described especially being from a former NY Post page 6 editor. If you had bad experiences with alcoholic family members, you should skip this.
Tobey
Oct 20, 2007 Tobey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drunkbooks
probably one of the most interesting "drunkbooks" I've read so far. Plum Sykes' brother, a former Etonian and NY Post writer, drinks too much and tries to figure out why and what he did last night. Features some Ozzy Osbourne in the mix
Gillian
Feb 04, 2008 Gillian rated it really liked it
A real eye opener. So open and truthful. Its amazing given the quantities of drugs and alcohol that he could remember enough to write this. Highly recommended.
Hanna
Dec 30, 2010 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much more believable than James Frey. Sykes writes with brutal honesty that doesn't come off boastful like Frey. I'm never moving to New York. I would not survive.
Stella
Nov 23, 2009 Stella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny drunken tales that made me feel better about my own college alcoholism, yet sad that this guy manages to keep a significant other.
Maureen
A little wierd, but insightful look into the party life in England. Maybe college life in general.
Becky
Aug 05, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Good tales of excess. The rehab bit seemed a bit easy though...

Danielle Mathieson
"A hangover is the physical expression of despair."
Toby Bulloff
Jul 11, 2007 Toby Bulloff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beach readers
occasionally funny comments about party life in NYC
Rebecca
Oct 23, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crazy life!!! Very interesting and entertaining.
Isabel
Jan 30, 2009 Isabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, sad and very readable.
Emily
Jan 12, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing, light read.
David Burns
David Burns rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Christina M. DiGiacomo
Christina M. DiGiacomo rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Gill Watt
Gill Watt rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Carley
Carley marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Heather Maoury
Heather Maoury marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • East Wind Melts the Ice: A Memoir through the Seasons
  • Love Always, Petra: A Story of Courage and the Discovery of Life's Hidden Gifts
  • The Battersea Park Road to Paradise
  • Krishnamurtis Notebook
  • Meeting Mr Kim: Or How I Went to Korea and Learned to Love Kimchi
  • See Naples and Die
  • Gimme Shelter
  • The Herbal Drugstore: The Best Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter and Prescription Medicines!
  • Butter Tea at Sunrise: A Year in the Bhutan Himalaya
  • Bill Bryson Collector's Edition: Notes from a Small Island / Neither Here Nor There / I'm a Stranger Here Myself
  • Autobiography of Anthony Trollope
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: A True Story of Faking It in Hair Metal L.A.
  • Bones of the Master: A Journey to Secret Mongolia
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • The New Astrology: A Unique Synthesis Of The World's Two Great Astrological Systems: The Chinese & Western
  • Breakfast with Tiffany: An Uncle's Memoir
  • Crisis, Pursued by Disaster, Followed Closely by Catastrophe: A Memoir of Life on the Run