What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Tom Sykes always liked to drink. When he was a teenager, alcohol offered a respite from the drudge of his uptight British boarding school, Eton College, and an exciting escape from the hurt of his rapidly disintegrating family.
And drinking was a lot of fun.
Whether knocking back pints with convicted killers after a day toiling in the fields of a strawberry farm or going g...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Rodale Books (first published September 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about What Did I Do Last Night?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Did I Do Last Night?

Jim
Maybe it's because I can identify with some of the alcohol-fueled endeavors mentioned in the book. Maybe it's because I can also identify with the author being a writer and therefore a frequently drunk writer like myself. Maybe it's because I can identify with the parental abandonment issues he has that may or may not have been what caused his alcoholism in the first place. Whatever the reason, I definitely enjoyed this book much more than the previous memoir that was recommended to me. Sykes wr...more
Tamara Doherty
This book was only "unputdownable" because I was desperately trying to find something likeable about this town-terrorizing drunk/drug-addict. Sykes and his antics were deplorable, and I was horrified by how someone's humanity could be so thoroughly replaced by a chemically-induced persona. The writing is brilliant for depicting the shocking emptiness and darkness of addiction, but it was a bit disturbing for my taste.

As far as accounts of falling into your own "addiction abyss," I liked "Dry" by...more
Gretchen Carey
This is a highly entertaing book about self destruction. It's a good guide to night life in London and New York as well. I want to go to some of these places he describes one day! It's sad that he almost looses everything because of his problems, but I feel like he is a good character to relate to. His problems could easily happen to any normal human being. His first few chapters about Eaton are interesting too and only further promote my idea that if you put too much restriction on kids they're...more
Joy
Jul 24, 2007 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drunks
sent to me for early review by the author, who is deliciously british and one of ny's socially prominent sykes clan. book really struck a cord with me, as i'm a weekly bar reviewer like sykes, though hardly of the page six caliber. he did a good job of humanizing the whole columnist lifestyle and was spot-on about how easy it is for the whole thing to spiral out of control--and into alcoholism.
John
Jan 28, 2008 John rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those seeking a light read
This book started out alright with some funny stories about one person's excessive drinking. But soon, after hearing the same story night after night, it got old and I ended up disliking the storyteller wondering why he couldn't just get his life together. By the end he got it together but it could not make up for the rest of the book.
Justin
I would actually give this 3.5 stars. The book was written rather well and certainly kept my attention throughout. I guess I was hoping for more of a redemption-type story. If that's not really why you would read a book like this, then you would probably really enjoy this book.
Lauren
A good story of how one becomes an alcoholic and how one can realize they're an alcoholic. I liked the scenes of NY described especially being from a former NY Post page 6 editor. If you had bad experiences with alcoholic family members, you should skip this.
Tobey
probably one of the most interesting "drunkbooks" I've read so far. Plum Sykes' brother, a former Etonian and NY Post writer, drinks too much and tries to figure out why and what he did last night. Features some Ozzy Osbourne in the mix
Gillian
A real eye opener. So open and truthful. Its amazing given the quantities of drugs and alcohol that he could remember enough to write this. Highly recommended.
Hanna
So much more believable than James Frey. Sykes writes with brutal honesty that doesn't come off boastful like Frey. I'm never moving to New York. I would not survive.
Stella
funny drunken tales that made me feel better about my own college alcoholism, yet sad that this guy manages to keep a significant other.
Maureen
A little wierd, but insightful look into the party life in England. Maybe college life in general.
Becky
Good tales of excess. The rehab bit seemed a bit easy though...

Danielle Mathieson
"A hangover is the physical expression of despair."
Toby Bulloff
Jul 11, 2007 Toby Bulloff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beach readers
occasionally funny comments about party life in NYC
Rebecca
Crazy life!!! Very interesting and entertaining.
Isabel
Funny, sad and very readable.
Emily
Amusing, light read.
Ioanna
Ioanna added it
Aug 23, 2014
Sarah Loesby
Sarah Loesby marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Cathi
Cathi marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Becky Rivers
Becky Rivers marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Linus Vieira
Linus Vieira marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sini Sana: Travels in Malaysia The Hitchers of Oz The Hitchers of Oz: An Anthology of Hitchhiking Stories and Observations from Australasia and Beyond (Easyread Large Edition) Blow by Blow: The Story of Isabella Blow Blow by Blow: The Story of Isabella Blow