Start by marking “Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America” as Want to Read:
Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America

Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America

Sisters is the first major history of the pivotal role played by nuns in the building of American society. Nuns were the first feminists, argues Fialka. They became the nation's first cadre of independent, professional women. Some nursed, some taught, and many created and managed new charitable organizations, including large hospitals and colleges.

In the 1800s nuns moved
Published January 24th 2003 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters

I enjoyed the book until it got to the tumultuous time following the Council. It basically exhibits the history of religious women (particularly the Sisters of Mercy) in the United States from the founding of the nation to the present day. The first two-thirds, to me at least, is a great chronicle of the contributions of women religious to the Church and the nation but then ... it happens.

What happens? The sisters "modernize" aka pick up the mind and heart of the world and ditch that which made
Aug 25, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
My education was under the direction of The Religious Sisters of Mercy in Pittsburgh, PA. What a rich history these ladies enjoy. They are incredible with their level of sacrifice and dedication. There was only one I had issues with, all the rest were lovely to me and held my interests to heart. Their story of spreading educational and medical support to those who needed them is a revelation. Why there isn't a huge memorial constructed to their honor is beyond me.

Well written with many insights
Very educational

I enjoyed reading about the Churche's history and what happened to the Sisters I will always be grateful to. There needs to be a way to bring back this wonderful institution that we need so badly in our schools and hospitals.
Sep 06, 2008 Janice rated it really liked it
I saw this at my library and grabbed it knowing nothing about it. It was a fascinating read and introduced me the amazing sacrifice this woman do. Great read.
Alicia Snyder
Aug 16, 2008 Alicia Snyder is currently reading it
i love this kind of stuff. i really need to finish this book.
Lisa of Hopewell
Mar 15, 2010 Lisa of Hopewell rated it really liked it
Very interesting
Maria Jo
Mar 30, 2016 Maria Jo rated it liked it
This book was not what I expected it to be. The author has a very liberal stance and the book is definitely from a secular perspective. Approximately half the book discusses the upheavals that occurred in many religious orders after Vatican II. The author discusses how those women who are members of un-habited orders are dying out, and cannot seem to make the connection between the orders who are habited flourishing.
Dec 04, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, interesting, important read.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Deb H
Deb H added it
Jun 05, 2016
Norm Conley
Norm Conley rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Cecily marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Elspeth marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Michele Fitzpatrick
Michele Fitzpatrick rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Marcy Heinrich
Marcy Heinrich rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Fides rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2015
Matt Goggin
Matt Goggin rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Tatum rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Kate Fox
Kate Fox is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2015
Michelleprikhodko rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Lily S
Lily S rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Vaughan Frederick
Vaughan Frederick rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
Madalene rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Mandy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015