Start by marking “Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America” as Want to Read:
Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America

Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Sisters is the first major history of the pivotal role played by nuns in the building of American society. Nuns were the first feminists, argues Fialka. They became the nation's first cadre of independent, professional women. Some nursed, some taught, and many created and managed new charitable organizations, including large hospitals and colleges.

In the 1800s nuns moved
Published January 24th 2003 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters

Allison
I enjoyed the book until it got to the tumultuous time following the Council. It basically exhibits the history of religious women (particularly the Sisters of Mercy) in the United States from the founding of the nation to the present day. The first two-thirds, to me at least, is a great chronicle of the contributions of women religious to the Church and the nation but then ... it happens.

What happens? The sisters "modernize" aka pick up the mind and heart of the world and ditch that which made
Ruth
My education was under the direction of The Religious Sisters of Mercy in Pittsburgh, PA. What a rich history these ladies enjoy. They are incredible with their level of sacrifice and dedication. There was only one I had issues with, all the rest were lovely to me and held my interests to heart. Their story of spreading educational and medical support to those who needed them is a revelation. Why there isn't a huge memorial constructed to their honor is beyond me.

Well written with many insights
Jim
Very educational

I enjoyed reading about the Churche's history and what happened to the Sisters I will always be grateful to. There needs to be a way to bring back this wonderful institution that we need so badly in our schools and hospitals.
Janice
I saw this at my library and grabbed it knowing nothing about it. It was a fascinating read and introduced me the amazing sacrifice this woman do. Great read.
Alicia Snyder
Aug 16, 2008 Alicia Snyder is currently reading it
i love this kind of stuff. i really need to finish this book.
Lisa Hayes
Very interesting
Mattathias Westwood
Mattathias Westwood marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Coreen Raterman
Coreen Raterman marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 15, 2014
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Maura
Maura added it
Sep 26, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ronald  Peter Juliano Sr
Ronald Peter Juliano Sr marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
She-Rah
She-Rah marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Joyce
Joyce added it
Dec 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
War by Other Means Car Wars: The Rise, the Fall, and the Resurgence of the Electric Car