Start by marking “The Intellectual Devotional: daily dose of american history” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Intellectual Devot...

David S. Kidder

The Intellectual Devotional: daily dose of american history

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  591 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
learn history
Published 2007

To ask other readers questions about The Intellectual Devotional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intellectual Devotional

Liza Gilbert
Nov 06, 2010 Liza Gilbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous book. I have never loved history more. I did not spend the 365 days recommended to read this book - one entry per day. I plowed through it. I was constantly fascinated by what topics and issues the authors chose to highlight in American history (but I'm very glad I've finished with the many, many entries on the Civil War).

Let me send out a heart-felt apology to the people who work and live along side me who had to hear, day after day, "Did you know...?"

I'm still massively creepe
David  Schroeder
Dec 28, 2015 David Schroeder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Among students in the United States, American History is often the worst tested subject because it is taught in typically a dry way forcing people to remember facts and dates without storytelling.

People remember history and its lessons by consistent reading and understanding. I had never read such a well-written daily book on American History until now. It is a fantastic gift and perfect for starting out your year the right way.

David
Jun 20, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who needs history class, this audio book is US History Tour De Force. It covers it all, from the discovery of the new world to the TV show "The Simpson's."

Mexican - American War: Abraham Lincoln and John Quincy Adams were the only 2 people to vote against the war. Robert E. Lee and Ulysses Grant fought in this war. The US originally offered Mexico $30 million for just Texas (I think or maybe it was California), but Mexico said "no." So the war happen, and US ended up with California, Nevada, Uta
KDNH
Sep 04, 2010 KDNH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun (and random) selection for me, I checked this book out at the library to learn some trivia about American history. Many of the topics were familiar to me, but there were fun facts and interesting tidbits compiled in this book. This is designed like a daily devotional, with 365 entries so you have one to read every day of the year. The book even comes with that glossy ribbon place holder (a.k.a. bookmark) that you’ll also find in Bibles.

The Intellectual Devotionals are available in differen
Jason
Nov 05, 2013 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stretching across seven different categories, Kidder & Oppenheim have provided a day-by-day journey through our country’s history that sometimes comments on the profound moments of our nation, sometimes the sublime, and sometimes the surreal. More than a day calendar, but less than a full treatise on each topic, this ‘Intellectual Devotional’ has been well worth the yearlong trip. Often, these pieces are written in a scholarly nature, but are most enjoyable when the authors choose to flex a ...more
Travis Hi.
Dec 15, 2007 Travis Hi. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conversationalists, bullshitters
365 one-page entries on important American figures, events, and works of art. On the plus side, it covers a wide variety of subject matter. On the negative side, it covers a wide variety of subject matter--no one but the most omnivorously curious will be interested in everything covered (I skipped a few pages). And the entries covering things I already had an interest in failed to teach me anything new. Also, the editorial bent was strictly "conventional wisdom," which was kind of boring at time ...more
Christie
Jan 07, 2013 Christie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-history
This is a perfect way to learn more about American History in small, easy to read and digest portions. Everyday is a new snippet of information that is great for the novice just starting to learn more about the history of the United States, or for the history buff that enjoys a quick snapshot review of topics. The subject matter is divided into seven fields of knowledge:
Politics & Leadership, War & Peace, Rights & Reform, Business, Building America, Literature and Arts. Each day is a
Don
Oct 10, 2013 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In high school I, like most people, did the minimum amount necessary to pass my history and government classes. Since I've grown older i have learned to love history and find it fascinating to learn about the history of our country. This audio book takes you completely through all of American history from Columbus to now in short three minute topics, one daily for a year.

I found their reporting fairly objective and extremely enlightening. The amount I learned about this country in such a short
Aaron
Feb 27, 2013 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history fans, high school students, knowledge seekers
Recommended to Aaron by: Mark Dickson
This was a very interesting read, specifically because of its approach. The "one-a-day" approach to learning doesn't pile everything on you and force memorization. It simply allows you the time to engage one particular person or event and dwell on it throughout that 24 hours. That said...I read this one a little quicker as I was unable to stop at one page a day, but I'm looking forward to more in this set of intellectual devotionals. Only 4 stars because it seemed as though some of the entries w ...more
AuthorsOnTourLive!
Along with David S. Kidder, Noah Oppenheim is the acclaimed author of The Intellectual Devotional series of books. Oppenheim and Kidder's new edition The Intellectual Devotional: American History: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently about Our Nation's Past, is a collection of 365 American history lessons that will inspire and invigorate the reader every day of the year.

We met Noah Oppenheim when he visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver. You can listen to
Dale Muckerman
Jun 15, 2014 Dale Muckerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many interesting facts about American history. Things we should probably all know a little about. Fun and easy to read.
Joe
Dec 27, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
I really liked it. I wasn't able to really read one page each day. I would usually catch up and read a lot of entries in one sitting on the bus.

As for the book itself, I really enjoyed it. You can really learn a lot. I like how they split up American history into seven different categories (politics, war & peace, literature, business, etc) to give a broad overview of what has shaped America. The author was very objective and tried to keep to the facts.

If you're looking for meat, this isn't t
Michael
Aug 19, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, nonfiction
Finally! It took me almost nine months to read this freaking book! You are supposed to read just one page per day, but I found I could read three or four at a sitting. Essentially, each page is about an aspect of American history, divided up in to seven categories: war and peace, arts and entertainment, economics, presidents, etc. The book was very well written and interesting; I learned a lot that I didn't know, and refreshed my memory about much I had forgotten. If you like history, this is a ...more
Vanessa
I read this book to prepare for the Rhode Island teaching exams since the questions on American history can be very random. It works great if you need to refresh your memory.

Its also a great tool in the classroom. Students have an easy reference since it contains better facts then the textbooks. I have also had students make thier own version of the book on other topics, such as geography, political theories, etc. I will copy sections and have students read them until they understand how to wri
Mary Radmacher
Jan 11, 2010 Mary Radmacher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read one entry a day - just like a traditional devotional. The writing is informed, snappy and fascinating. Significant foot notes are often part of an entry. This daily effort is upgrading my conversational banter substantially. It was so much fun in the midst of angst-ridden conversation about the market instability and "today's economy" to insert a recently learned fact: wall street trading actually occurred outside the building until 1836. an enjoyable way to add to your knowledge base on ...more
Tom Shoemaker
Sep 02, 2015 Tom Shoemaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Did not treat it as a daily devotional. Too many interesting details to read that slowly. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Christina
Mar 08, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't remember anything from high school
Great book! I didn't use it as a devotional, I just read it all the through. It was very easy to read, I actually had trouble putting it down. Many of the topics covered were familiar, but it was a good review and I was able to research areas I wanted to know more about - great for filling in "gaps" in your education (or memory). I would recommend this to anyone who is not confident in their knowledge of history - not for history buffs because the topics are pretty basic.
Tricia
May 10, 2012 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For about 4 years I have had this book in my nightstand drawer. From time to time I pick it up and read a page. It's so great because in one page I learn (or most of the time re-learn from highschool) about a major event/person in American history. My attention span for history lessons is that of a mouse so these one page synopsis lessons are perfect for me. I recommend this book for anyone looking for quick "cocktail party" knowledge.
Wendall Paul Sexton
Another compendium of daily readings of historical moments to Americana. If one is a devotee of history - and especially American history, as am I - this is a can't miss. Short little stories provide interesting facts about an array of different subjects that made this country great. Love learning things like this. I will have to purchase my own copy and read it through again.
Greg
May 23, 2009 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, the greatest strength of this book is that it can wet your appetite for knowledge. If you find a topic that you find interesting it can be used as a spring board into more research about the person, place or event. It covers so many topics that I would find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a number of things that would interest every reader.
Marcia Berg Haskell
This book was interesting when reading one page per day. In my case it was actually read by my husband and I each evening after supper. The subjects covered were Politics & Leadership, War & Peace, Rights & Reform, Business, Building America, Literature and Arts.

I did not find myself as interested in this volume as the first one, but it was worth pursuing.
Nelson Rosario
Apr 14, 2015 Nelson Rosario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-history
This book is a daily devotional of American History. The reader is meant to read the book over the course of a year. Did I spend a year reading this? No, I'm too antsy, so I would read multiples entries a day as I saw fit. That said, this is a very good, no great synopsis of USA history. If you are looking for a nice history devotional, look no further.
Marlene
Feb 23, 2013 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book I found at a second hand store. It has 365 pages of history facts about the United States. You're supposed to read one every day. I learned a lot and even remembered some of it to add in conversations with friends. Each history fact is no more than a page long so it's a good book to read whenever you have a minute or two.
Charles
Some interesting facts in this book. I did note several times when the contributors or editors biases intruded somewhat into the entries, most frustratingly on the second to last entry about The Simpsons actually. "Eight-year-old Lisa Simpson, the irritating, self-righteous middle child in the family, became a vegetation in a 1995 episode..."
Jason
Aug 22, 2009 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gift from Melissa, this was a great book! Very enjoyable. It did take me a while to read it. It does not lend itself to long sittings of reading as each story is only one page long. However, this may also be the best part about the book. No matter how much time I had to read I could always finish at least one story. Great topics!
Missmath144
365 snippets of history (the history of art, building, politics, etc. - a different category for each day of the week). I listened to the CDs while falling asleep, which was great because each one can be taken alone, so I don't have to worry if I miss one or two at the end of a CD as I drift off to dreamland.
TJ Jackson
Nov 20, 2008 TJ Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Did you know that John Adams, our 2nd president, was the defense attorney for the commander of the British troops after the Boston Massacre? I didn't either ... until now!!! Whew. A daily one-pager on US history so you can stomp your friends in whatever-the-hell-color-US-history-is-in-Trivial-Pursuit ...
Eric Eickhoff
Jan 09, 2008 Eric Eickhoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Basically the book is a daily reading on one aspect of American history. There are 7 topics that are discussed, including business, politics, and wars/battles, et al. It is a great way to learn more about American history and brush up on all those things you once learned about in high school and college.
Jeff
Apr 27, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good overview of our nation's history. I know it's a "daily devotional," but I found myself too curious to wait! It might tick off some conservatives & liberals (perhaps moderates would be the most content with it), but it tries to avoid being too much on any one side of the aisle.
Megan
Aug 28, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty good idea - an entry for every day about American History. Some of it is pretty basic stuff that you would know from any history class, but there are plenty of interesting bits.

I've put this book on hold for a while, considering I read it for about two weeks and then forgot about it
  • Lee The Last Years
  • The Purpose of the Past: Reflections on the Uses of History
  • The State of Jones
  • If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times
  • The Knowledge Book: Everything You Need to Know to Get By in the 21st Century
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned
  • Rediscovering God in America: Reflections on the Role of Faith in Our Nation's History and Future
  • The Triangle Fire
  • The Bedside Baccalaureate: A Handy Daily Cerebral Primer to Fill in the Gaps, Refresh Your Knowledge & Impress Yourself & Other Intellectuals
  • The Lazy Intellectual: Maximum Knowledge, Minimal Effort
  • An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn't
  • A Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • One-Night Stands with American History: Odd, Amusing, and Little-Known Incidents
  • Why Pandas Do Handstands: And Other Curious Truths about Animals
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • Founding Myths: Stories That Hide Our Patriotic Past
Born in Upstate New York, David S. Kidder is a serial entrepreneur with a wide range of operational, technology, and marketing expertise focused on online product development and Internet advertising and marketing. He is currently co-Founder and serves as CEO of Clickable, an online advertising web service. Prior to Clickable, Kidder co-founded SmartRay Network, a mobile advertising delivery pione ...more
More about David S. Kidder...

“Whosoever would be a man, must be a nonconformist.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson Massachusetts” 0 likes