Start by marking “Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture” as Want to Read:
Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture

Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"Get a life" William Shatner told Star Trek fans. Yet, as Textual Poachers argues, fans already have a "life," a complex subculture which draws its resources from commercial culture while also reworking them to serve alternative interests. Rejecting stereotypes of fans as cultural dupes, social misfits, and mindless consumers, Jenkins represents media fans as active produc ...more
Published July 21st 1992 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Textual Poachers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Textual Poachers

Jun 09, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: acafans, cultural/media studies folk, slashers, people who really like de Certeau
Shelves: media
I loved this book and am currently fangirling Henry Jenkins. Which is something I would like to discuss with him, because a) he wouldn't mock me and b) we could have an interesting conversation that engaged cultural studies without making me stabby. Also, I would like the Jenkinses to invite me over to watch Blakes7.

But, in all seriousness, Jenkins does an excellent job sussing out an ethnography of fan culture in a way that is both respectful and critical, that recognizes that it is playful, pl
Lightreads
A review of fan culture, including writers, vidders, and filkers. This is great just as sociological snapshots and a repository of many of the classically understood theories of fandom and how it operates. It's rather uncomfortably outdated, though, appearing before the internet became a fannish locus. I'm also pretty unhappy with the ways Jenkins fails to push this "poaching" model -- he's a media studies guy, and he never once questions the models
of commercial ownership and audience disenfranc
I should have read this book 20ish years ago, back when I was slightly defensive (based on the mockery and cultural condemnation) about being a science fiction fan. Back in the day, it would have been revelatory and affirming. A professor, taking fandom seriously! Taking fans seriously! Who went to cons and listened to filk and read fan fiction! And talks about fandom in terms of Bakhtin, Barthes, and Benjamin!

There’s still a lot of good in the text. Great exploration of how different fan commu
Taylor Ellwood
This book is a must read for anyone interested in pop culture studies or anyone who is a fan and wants to understand the history of fan movements. The author does an excellent job of showing how different fandoms found empowerment in their communities and in their own fan creations based off the pop culture they liked. While this book was originally written in 1992, it's still relevant to contemporary pop culture studies and if anything provides a fascinating historical perspective that allows t ...more
Elisabeth
I first read this book several years ago, and picked it up again because of the 20th anniversary re-release. It remains a spectacular piece of reading, a groundbreaking exploration of fans, fandom, and the relationship between media and audiences, from the perspective of a fan who is also firmly established in media studies. Eye-opening for fans and non-fans alike; sympathetic, intelligent, and readable; backed by hours of research and interviews; this book is a must-read for anyone interested i ...more
Mjhancock
I think it's fairly to safe to say, some twenty years later, that Jenkins' book has become a landmark in fan culture studies. Essentially, he argues that, contrary to popular media theory at the time, television fans are not mindless consumers, but people quite willing to appropriate and be critical of the shows they view, as well as imbue them with their own cultural meanings. Throughout the course of the book, Jenkins looks at the basic state of fan study and community; characteristics of fand ...more
Sarah Sammis
In the middle of my Patron 2.0 research I came across Fans, Bloggers, and Games: Media Consumers in a Digital Age by Henry Jenkins (review coming). Knowing his books from my previous life as a film theory student, I added the book to my research pile. As that book is in some regards a sequel to Textual Poachers, I also checked it out to compare texts.

Textual Poachers is an examination of fandom, or the fen as they sometimes call themselves. As this one was written in the days before blogs, it lo
Andrew Miller
Jenkins creates a strong case for the scholarship that can be given to fandom communities. He looks at how fans write and recreate their own texts and how these consumers also become producers. Fans are textual poachers as they go on the “land” of the writer and “poach” or take only what they want, not necessarily what the writer may have intended. These fans then get to keep their “poached” material, although this material has little economic value, it contains its own expressive culture. The b ...more
Clare
This short review is also posted on my blog at http://inputs.wordpress.com/2008/12/2...

This is the seminal foundational text in terms of academic studies of fandom. Even if it was published in 1992 before the explosion of internet fandom and a more mainstream (even if still grudging) recognition of fan practices, it is still chock full of useful and current ideas.

This well written and highly readable book has done a great service in single handedly promoting the possibility of academic fan studi
Angie
I had to read an excerpt of this book for class, but found myself picking up a copy for some light reading. Unlike most communication theory books, this was easy to read and breeze through. Jenkins' writing is simple and playful, yet critical of the subject without being, for lack of a better word, douchey.

Though it is a little out of date, many of Jenkins' theories still ring true today. I found myself completely engrossed in his concepts, evolution, and hierarchies of fandom, and would love t
Noel
An important book for cultural studies and fan culture, Textual Poachers provides an excellent primer and introduction to looking at fandom and its general practices.[return][return]While the book is now rather dated in both its examples (shows mentioned are all from the 1980s and very early 90s) and some of its subjects (filk music), the book is highly engaging and accessible, even for non-media scholars are just interested in the subject, or want to learn more about their hobby.
David
This is some literary theory book that goes way too in depth of fan fiction, actually taking it seriously. Who gives a crap about some lonely douche who writes Star Trek fiction in which Spock and Cpt. Kirk express their gay feelings for one another? Shit like that should just be ignored. Which it is for the most part if it weren't for stupid literary theory courses.
Liz Dehoff
This was fascinating 10 years ago. I would love to see Jenkins update it now that fanfic has grown so exponentially and has even spread to film, where it sometimes receives official accolades from the copyright holders themselves (see Lucasfilm's "Star Wars" fan film competitions). Dr. Jenkins, I'm waiting...
Pansity Collins
The best of the studies of fandom which started coming out in the early 90s. Although this is Jenkins' doctoral thesis, he doesn't make the error of writing from the POV of disdain for the foreign culture he's examining -- he makes no apologies for the fact that he's a fan as well as an academic.
Miriam
This was written when internet fan culture was just a nascent thing, so unlike when I first read it in the nineties, a lot the text it seems almost quaint. Still a fascinating read, though, and pretty much mandatory for anyone serious about their media fandom.
Shawn
Nov 10, 2010 Shawn marked it as to-read
Mys sister Susan M. Garrett is quoted a number of times throughout this book. Nice to know she helped contribute to the understanding of something she loved so much.
Rhonda
It is very much appreciated by those of us who "walk the walk and talk the talk" each day as fans...while the book is extremely academic, I also appreciate much of the ideas and theories being conveyed.
Michael Underwood
Old-er school fan studies, this book set the bar for a way of interacting with and understanding fan fiction/transformative works. Dated by now, due to being pre-internet boom, but foundational.
Clare
For fans, a glorious exploration of fandom through an academic lens. For non-fans, a well-written and warm introduction to fandom and fannish practices. May we forever be renegade readers.
Paul Mclaughlan
Incredible. Read this as a part of... my 1st or 2nd degree? Dunno! But it made me look at my fan friends rather differently.
Kristin
Henry Jenkins basically has the career I want -- an academic scholar on media and fan culture studies. What's not to love?
Ryan
Very good book. Insightful, a tad utopian but helps you understand the more...'fanatical' fan culture.
Donald Gadberry
Hands down the coolest scholarly book I've read.
Sharat
Sharat marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Elena Victoria
Elena Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Sofie Dhaen
Sofie Dhaen is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Pamzee
Pamzee marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction
  • Preliminary Materials for a Theory of the Young-Girl
  • The Battle of the Sexes in Science Fiction
  • Existential Joss Whedon: Evil And Human Freedom in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly And Serenity
  • To Write Like a Woman: Essays in Feminism and Science Fiction
  • The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies--and What They Have Done to Us
  • Sex and Temperament in Three Primitive Societies
  • The Way Hollywood Tells It: Story and Style in Modern Movies
  • Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: A Reader
  • What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy
Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide Fans, Bloggers, and Gamers: Media Consumers in a Digital Age Spreadable Media: Creating Value and Meaning in a Networked Culture Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century Hop on Pop: The Politics and Pleasures of Popular Culture