Start by marking “The Massive, Vol. 4: Sahara” as Want to Read:
The Massive, Vol. 4: Sahara

The Massive, Vol. 4: Sahara (The Massive #4)

Callum Israel and the crew of the Kapital face Arkady, Israel’s former colleague bent on revenge. When the Kapital is bombed, Callum and Mag head into post-Crash Europe to confront Arkady. But what they ultimately discover may lead them to their long-lost ship, The Massive. Meanwhile, Mary appears in the Sahara Desert, guarding a convoy of fresh water, holding a secret ...more
Published January 13th 2015 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Massive, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Massive, Vol. 4

Frédéric
Sep 29, 2015 Frédéric rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Huh-Huh... Vol.4 confirmed what I suspected in Vol.3. This is all gonna end in mystical gobbledygook.
And I hate it when it ends in mystical gobbledygook.
The first part "Bloc" confirmed the discrepancies I had already noticed concerning Mary. Problem was, I wasn't sure if it was Garry Brown scratchy figures that made her look like 25 or if it was part of the script. I mean, Callum should be in his late 40's, maybe early 50's and looks like he is 35 and Mag looks more Carribean than Sri Lankan so
Matthew
Jun 01, 2015 Matthew rated it liked it
Aside from the predictably quick and easy wrap-up of a major arc and the graceless segue into another addressing a major character's background, this volume was stronger than others in that it was easier to follow, compelling to read, and held the promise of answers to some of the many questions we've been left with (namely who is Mary and what is her connection to the Crash?). Another strong point here is the humanity of the second arc: Wood sounds a strong alarm for waking up and changing our ...more
Donovan
Aug 30, 2016 Donovan rated it really liked it

"The Massive, Mary, and the Crash. They're related."

YES. If that quote alone doesn't get you to read this, nothing will. This volume is a fast paced spy thriller and finally some hugely revealing background on the ever mysterious Mary.

Rainey
No spoilers but holy shit!
Seth
Nov 08, 2016 Seth rated it it was amazing
Joshua
Nov 24, 2016 Joshua rated it it was ok
Went off the rails...
Topher
Oct 29, 2016 Topher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book
Of the five volumes, this one is my favorite.
The_Mad_Swede
Oct 29, 2016 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
After the events in Longship , Mary has left Kapital and its sick captain is trying to confront his past, in the shape of an old associate from his mercenary days, Arkady. This is the basic set-up for the first three-issue arc, Bloc, drawn by Garry Brown, in this volume. It also allows further investigation into the shared history of Callum Israel and Mag Nagendra, as the latter confront the former about his illness and recent actions.

In the second three-issue arc, Sahara, drawn by Danijel Zeze
Michael Scott
Nov 21, 2015 Michael Scott rated it liked it
The Massive, Sahara is the fourth in this series about an environmentalist group trying to take action against pollution, social injustice, and other Western concerns. The series is set in a dystopian future, after most of today's powers have collapsed due to natural and social disasters. Overall, the story is not great, but builds on the characters and is even good in the first half.

The graphics are very nice, with a detailed style that fits the action theme. The diversity of backgrounds, in p
Cale
Apr 26, 2016 Cale rated it really liked it
This volume collects two shorter stories. The first, with Callum and Mag resolving their situation with Arkady isn't particularly memorable. It seems anticlimactic, and I've long forgotten the conflict with Arkady in the first place. It does have some ramifications that are good for getting everyone on the same wavelength, but it's not much of a story.
The second half, however, is very powerful. The story of Mary in the Sahara, guarding and guiding other women soldiers in a water convoy, predates
Paul Mirek
This is a wonderful example of why I am so enamored with Wood's writing when he's on top of his game. In the first arc, he and Brown deliver a snappy action-thriller that's also a devastating character study. These three issues bring final resolution to Cal's battle with Arkady and also refocus his relationship with Mag, leading into the final act. However, it's "The Irregulars" that's the true standout here. Sharp geopolitical speculation meets some of Wood's boldest science-fictional writing ...more
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Aug 03, 2014 Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai) rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, dark-horse

With the end of this volume it seems like things will be getting back on track. This trade seems like it was all about getting the house in order. It seems like Cal and his crew now have a more secure focus on what, exactly, their mission is. Mary...well...who can really say what she is all about. Her arc in this volume was pretty cool, and showed us that she is definitely a key in what is going on globally.

I'm stoked to see what that is exactly.

Taruia
Jan 19, 2015 Taruia rated it really liked it
Whilst Cal and Nag have their own adventure in the Baltic States, Mary is in Saudi Arabia (not entirely sure how she got there, though). I didn't find the art as aesthetically pleasing as other volumes, but maybe that is just me. I found the art. It didn't seem as far fetched as some of the other issues which is a good thing.
Andy
Jan 13, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
The first half of this volume focuses on Captain Callum Israel and first mate Mag Nagendra as they pursue answers in what's left of Eastern Europe. (And could a certain song hold the key to finding those answers?) In the second half, we learn more about the mysterious past of Mary. Good stuff. The next volume will, unfortunately, be the last as The Massive just ended with issue #30.
Feb 07, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Veering a little off course this volume, with Cal in Europe pursuing a vendetta off-ship and Mary gone walkabout with a water convoy in Africa. That and revelations about Mary take the tale a bit out of the gritty reality realm.
Kyla
Dec 18, 2015 Kyla rated it really liked it
So glad I decided to stick with the series! I wasn't terribly sure about it after the first and second collection, but I like how the last two collections have started to focus more on Mary's mysterious story. Where will we go next with this protector-warrior?
Paul
May 03, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
I love this series.
Individually, the trade paperbacks get 4 stars, as a whole it deserves 5.
Althoguh I am fairly certain that once it is done, it will all be collected into hardcover format, which you just know I will be buying as well, for now the trades will have to suffice.
Andres
Apr 24, 2015 Andres rated it really liked it
Ahora sí... Los personajes se redefinen, vuelve el misterio y la narrativa parece lógica. Muchísimo mejor que el tomo anterior.
Alex
Feb 01, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Plotting felt a bit shakier on this one, as did some of the art. Still interested in seeing where the overall story is going, though.
Schmeck
Schmeck rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Sardonyx
Sardonyx rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Kevin Long
Kevin Long rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Matt Roemer
Matt Roemer rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Jonas Magnusson
Jonas Magnusson rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
André
André rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
James Targett
James Targett rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
HPL Dan
HPL Dan rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
  • East of West, Volume 5: All These Secrets
  • Rover Red Charlie
  • Crossed + One Hundred (Crossed +100)
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 3
  • Velvet, Volume 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • Southern Bastards, Vol. 2: Gridiron
20493
Multiple Eisner Award-nominee Brian Wood released his first series, Channel Zero, to considerable critical acclaim in 1997 and has gone on to create hard-hitting original series such as DMZ, Northlanders, The Couriers, and The Massive. He’s also written some of the biggest titles in pop culture, with work on Star Wars, Conan The Barbarian, Lord Of The Rings and The X-Men. He lives with his wife ...more
More about Brian Wood...