Start by marking “My Brother, My Sister, and I” as Want to Read:
My Brother, My Sister, and I

My Brother, My Sister, and I (So Far from the Bamboo Grove #2)

Sequel to So Far From the Bamboo Grove. Thirteen-year-old Yoko and her older brother and sister live in abject poverty in Japan at the end of World War II. When the clog factory warehouse they call home is destroyed by fire, their lives become even more desperate, particularly when Yoko's sister, Ko, is injured and must be hospitalized and her brother, Hideyo, is accused ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Simon Pulse (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother, My Sister, and I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother, My Sister, and I

Jackie
Mar 07, 2013 Jackie rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time when I was in 5th grade. Every couple years I read it again, and it gets better every time, definitely worth the read.
Masao Koda
Oct 28, 2015 Masao Koda rated it it was amazing
1. SIMON PULSE no level
2. 10/24=60min, 10/25=180min, 10/28=90min
3. river, move, sister, operation, father, happy, marriage
4. (a)The young man was quick to answer. " I want you to know, I did not start the war. Nor did you. We were unfortunately involved! Think about it." He turned around sharply and took off. All the way homw, I thought of his words.
(b)The young mas was the American soldier who was in a militaly base in Japan. I completely agree with his thought. No one want to start war but th
Alec Kapps
Jan 04, 2016 Alec Kapps rated it it was amazing
Summary:

This book is about a Japanese family who lived in Korea during World War 2. After the war ended, Yoko, her mother, and Ko her sister, moved to Kyoto, Japan. The mother died on a train station platform, so the sisters were forced to fend for themselves in the poverty plagued city. The sisters lived in an abandoned warehouse, once the sisters are settled into the warehouse their brother shows up briefly. Shortly after his arrival, the warehouse burns down in which Ko is severely injured. T
Sarah Crawford
Jan 28, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This true story opens in the last days of WWII, with Yoko being the main character, who is 13. Her family has to flee Northern Korea where they live, and after they arrive back at Kyoto their mother dies, leaving Yoko, Hideo (21), her brother, and Ko, an older sister.

They have no idea where their father is, as he was in the army in Manchuria.They are extremely poor with little food. While they are staying in a warehouse, it is set on fire and Ko is injured.

Hideyo and Yoko go to care for Ko at th
Heidi
This continuation of So far from the Bamboo Grove … took a while to impress. While I don't at all doubt the historicity of what Kawashima Watkins experienced, it sometimes all seemed too much. Mostly the attitudes of the Sagano girls, and that's despite having experience of bullying. But once I settled into it, (and was reminded that they were living in Kyoto, which apparently was not bombed during the war (which was why Mrs Kawashima left her daughters there while she journeyed north to her hom ...more
Magdalen Dobson
May 01, 2011 Magdalen Dobson rated it it was amazing
Marilyn
Jun 26, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent YA nonfiction book (autobiography) about a 13-year-old living in post-W.W. II Japan. She was a refugee because she lived in Korea as the conflict broke out there, even though she was a native of Japan. It was heart-wrenching to read about the plight of a young refugee as she was treated so cruelly by others who thought they had a higher status, and yet heart-warming to read of the kindness of others toward her as she worked hard to make her situation better. I was inspired ...more
Elaine Bearden
Apr 19, 2013 Elaine Bearden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gr. 5 and up?
This is a sequel to "So Far From the Bamboo Grove." It has been a while since I've read this, but wanted to log the title. I read it the spring I was recovering from surgery, so somehow the survival theme really connected. I since had a discussion with a Korean-American author who indicated there was a lot of controversy about these books, as they didn't contextualize the story enough. Probably true. Significant as a survival story, though, and the cost of war on individual lives. I
Vicki Andrada
Jun 10, 2015 Vicki Andrada rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read it 2 times. It was the second book, the one after so far from the bamboo grove, and it told all the things I had been curious about,like what happened to Yoko, her sister Ko, and there brother. What happened to there father who at the ending of the first book was in prisoned by the Russians. I learned some things about how life was for the Japanese after the war. It was very good! This series of 2 books, so far from the bamboo grove, and my brother sister and I are 2 of ...more
penelopewanders
This was a direct continuation of the previous book, So Far from the Bamboo Grove. At some point Yoko laments that only bad things seem to happen to them, and it does seem that woes are heaped on their heads and frail shoulders. Between the bullying at school - at all levels - and other incidents (I don't want to create a spoiler), it is quite impressive how well these children fared. Yoko does point out that she has been rewarded for her endurance and perseverance by the support of her brother ...more
Leah Good
With her mother dead and her father missing, thirteen year old Yoko, older sister Ko, and her older brother Hideyo struggle to survive. When Ko is seriously injured in a fire, Hideyo searches for more work to pay hospital bills and Yoko takes on the responsibility of caring for Ko. When Ko is accused of murdering their landlords, Yoko is determined to prove her sister’s innocence.

This is a great story about a Japanese girl in the aftermath of World War II. It is based on a true story. I recommen
Anthony Herrera27812
I really liked this book. I talks about a true story of what happened to the author during World War II. The writing is very detailed, but sad. The reason I say it is sad is because in the book, The main character is homeless with her brother and sister, and she is constantly picked on by the other girls at her school. However, the story ends with her father returning from World War II. This is probably one of the best book that I've read. I really would recommend this book to others.
Ying
Jun 08, 2012 Ying rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourite books as a kid. A reminder that during a war all sides suffer, the cruelty of kindness we are capable of is not a matter of nationality.

The first book I read as a child that made me cry. Yoko Watkins tells the story of her family's struggle to survive in post-WWII Japan. Despite their hardships, their honour, perseverance and love for each other help then overcome the obstacles against them.
Tia
Dec 04, 2012 Tia rated it really liked it
i think ive read this book about 5 times and i still shed some tears.. it's emotional and a sad story about a young girl loosing her parents and learning about life through poverty and discrimination. The siblings had to go through a lot during the war and they stuck with each other even through their sufferings. It will warm your heart and make u realize and appreciate the blessings u have in your life now..
Michelle
May 13, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
I liked this book SO much better than the first one. I think there may have been a bit more character development, because I was really able to connect with the characters in this book. Also, I felt it was a bit more of a page turner; maybe because I felt more connection with the characters? I still think the two books could have been combined; I think it would have made for a much richer novel in total.
Ann
Jan 31, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing
After reading "So Far From the Bamboo Grove" we wanted to continue reading about the Kawashima family. Memoirs of life,love and the simple kindness given to all through the hardship of war and the years that follow. We also read When My Name was Koeko giving a balanced look at history through two young girl's perspectives.
Erika
Mar 27, 2016 Erika rated it it was amazing
Tears. This is the sequel to So Far From the Bamboo Grove, and both are the true story of a Japanese refugee who fled Korea for her life, during WW2. The two books are about her and her family's fight for survival and then the difficulties of life they persevered through with respect and kindness. Extremely touching books.
Nadia Lund
Apr 02, 2009 Nadia Lund rated it it was amazing
I highly recomend this book to anyone that enjoyed the first one even remotely. Compared to the first this one has alot less violence and less horrific details at times. But it definitaly goes into alot of detail about poverty and tragic situations. But for any of you mystery, action, romance, or biography fans, there is a little bit for everyone.
Mei Guan
Apr 25, 2012 Mei Guan rated it really liked it
This was a great book, I read back in 7th grade. It is a touching story about a girl's struggle after World War II. The most memorable moments were about her school life where she had to search the trash cans for loose leaf line paper to do her homework.
Emma
Feb 06, 2010 Emma rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! (and its prequel as well) They both are such wonderful stories of bravery and family, and I will never tire of reading them over and over again. Anyone who enjoys such stories like this, or stories of historical events, should read this.
Sydney
Jun 30, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this book i could not put down. ever page something new happened. i wish everyone would read this book it is sad at some parts but it really gets you thinking. even the back of the book is so interesting. please read this book NOW
Ariel
May 28, 2010 Ariel rated it really liked it
this wasn't as powerful as the first book, but i still enjoyed it. perhaps it was because i read this about two years after the first one. but i greatly recommend reading the second installment of this chilling tale.
pinkgal
Mar 01, 2007 pinkgal rated it liked it
Shelves: no_fiction_here
Sequel to So Far From the Bamboo Grove. No such thing as happily ever after, eh? Wonderful, though. Postwar Japan for those without much room to maneuver. A good look at the underclass, the Burakumin.
Leslie
Dec 07, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
This book was even better than the prequel. Less of the trauma and more of the strength of the family and how their love for each other was what fueled their ability to endure. The two together are excellent historical reads.
Amy
Mar 18, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
As far as reading level goes, I would recommend this to a middle school or early high school student. I've had the pleasure of meeting Yoko Kawashima Watkins, who is a wonderful and sweet woman, and my students who read her book enjoyed it very much.
Crystal
Sep 25, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
I enjoyed finishing this sequel to 'so far from the bamboo grove' and learning more about this families post ww2 experiences in japan. It was moving and educational and amazing that it's true. I'm always grateful to see good morals win out.
Biscuit247
Feb 13, 2008 Biscuit247 rated it really liked it
This book was as intriguing as the first one (So Far From the Bamboo Grove), but still a good read! Read more here: http://tntyoung.blogspot.com/2007/05/...
Sophie Muller
Oct 20, 2013 Sophie Muller rated it it was amazing
If you've ever wondered what war does to people, you should read this book. It's poignant yet not dramatic. I wish we had more compulsory readings like this!
Christina
Aug 19, 2008 Christina rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book. As a continuation of So Far From the Bamboo Grove, it always amazes me that it's true.
  • To the Edge of the Sky: A Story of Love, Betrayal, Suffering, and the Strength of Human Courage
  • For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy
  • When My Name Was Keoko
  • Little Paradise
  • The Girl with the White Flag: A Spellbinding Account of Love and Courage in Wartime Okinawa
  • Secrets Of The Red Lantern: Stories And Recipes From The Heart
  • Winter Tidings (Prairie River, #3)
  • Jake's Orphan
  • Off to War: Voices of Soldiers' Children
  • Mad Dog (Starlight Animal Rescue, #2)
  • Whispers in the Wind (The Orphan Trains Trilogy, #3)
  • Growing Up Asian in Australia
  • Moon Bridge
  • Shizuko's Daughter
  • Riding the Black Cockatoo
  • Vinegar Boy: Encounter Christ Through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy
  • I Met Lucky People: The Story of the Romani Gypsies
  • The Peace Tree from Hiroshima: The Little Bonsai with a Big Story
Yoko Kawashima Watkins was born in Japan in 1933. Her family lived in Manchuria, a region in northern china where her father was stationed as a Japanese government official. This region of China had been under Japanese control since 1931. The family later moved to Nanam in northern Korea, where her father was overseeing Japanese political interests. Japan had taken control of Korea in 1910. Althou ...more
More about Yoko Kawashima Watkins...

So Far from the Bamboo Grove (2 books)
  • So Far from the Bamboo Grove