Start by marking “An Ocean Apart” as Want to Read:
An Ocean Apart

Robin Pilcher

An Ocean Apart

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,705 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
For six dreadful months, David Corstorphine has tried to come to terms with his young wife's death, while caring for his three motherless children. Try as he may, David is unable to return to work, and his only form of solace comes from working in the garden of his parents' estate in the Scottish countryside.
Dispatched unexpectedly to New York, David's family hopes that t
Published November 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about An Ocean Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ocean Apart

Donna Mcnab
Jan 25, 2017 Donna Mcnab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes us from the business world in Scotland to Long Island in New York, as David attempts to recover from the loss of his beloved wife and mother of his three children. Perhaps I was just ready for a feel-good book, but I thoroughly enjoyed Robin Pilcher's An Ocean Apart. He is following in the foot steps of his mother, Rosamunde, who was one of my favourite authors.
Rrshively
Jun 13, 2012 Rrshively rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Rosamunde Pilcher, so when I saw this book by her son in the used book store, I bought it. He seems to be as talented an author as his mother, but has a more masculine and modern style. This book is as much about overcoming grief as anything else. Also, being a gardener in another country incognito is also an interesting slant. The interactions between the characters give the book depth. There is also another theme of an attempted takeover of a small community company by a larg ...more
Francene
Jan 10, 2009 Francene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had such a tough time getting into this book. It just doesn't start with a bang but just as a story. Nothing spectacular to get you pulled into the story. Just a story.

As I kept reading I wanted to know what was going to happen to this family. Especially David! Poor man had so much going for him to have the anchor in his life ripped away.

I loved the fact that it had no sex, no violence, no swearing (well a little but nothing eye popping), just a story. I can actually tell people without an ap
Deborah
I really enjoy read Robin Pilcher's work. It is refreshing to read the point of view of a man about his everyday problems, their love, losses, and finding a new path.

David Corstorphine cannot seem to come to terms of the death of his treasured wife. He finds it difficult to function in his family business in Scottland and with his three small children. The only comfort David seems to be able to find is working in the family garden.Sent on business to New york, David suffers a complete brake dow
JayeL
Mar 12, 2008 JayeL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I read this while traveling and found it to be well written and enjoyable. It is a good story and reminiscent of Rosamunde Pilcher's September. One thing that I really liked about this book was the relative timelessness. I kept wondering why they didn't just send an email or call on their mobile phones. When one of the characters pulled out a floppy disk, I had to look at the copyright date. I didn't realize it was written in 1999 until I actually looked at the copyright date.

This is well writte
Els
Feb 06, 2016 Els rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read books by his Mum, Rosamunde Pilcher, and thought that, if nothing else, if he wrote anything like her, this'd be a pleasant read.
Expectations that were more than met; Robin is very much a writer in his own right, and this story--one that could've descended into typical cheesy romantic cliches--doesn't.
Sure, there are misunderstandings, and secrets that could've been dealt with earlier, but in Pilcher's hand they seem less like plot contrivances than they do the natural and simple unfol
Kristen
Jul 03, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Robin Pilcher is a good solid writer in his own right, regardless of who his famous mother is. She has passed her talent down to her son in buckets. I have waited for a long time for his next book, only to learn that, for various reasons, there may not be another one, so everyone please email this author and encourage him to keep writing. I want more! His words are always comfortable and cosy, like an old favourite sweater on a winter evening.
Linda
Apr 28, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed thit book. Robin Pilcher writes in the same style as his Mother and I really enjoyed all of her books that I could get at the library. The characters become friends and very much like your own family. This book was very hard for me to put down, I wanted to just keep on reading. Loved the contrast of atmosphere between Long Island, NY and Scotland. Can't wait to get started on the next book.
Kshydog
A nice light read. Liked that it was a story about love without all the sexual scenes, business ethics without being boring. Amazed at how all around talented David was to the point that it became unbelievable. Enjoyed the housekeeper with her humor as well as compassion. Glad to see his comments to Jennifer to not give up on her marriage immediately.
Franci
Oct 13, 2012 Franci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and once again I didn't want it to end. I have decided that Robin Pilcher and his mother Rosamunde are at the top of my list of favorite authors. I find myself wishing for sequels whenever I finish one of their books because the characters have all become so special to me. I know that Rosamune is no longer writing, but Robin is and I hope he continues for a long time.
Suzi
Jan 29, 2014 Suzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying Robin Pilcher's books. AS an author, his style is not unlike his mother's, and I have enjoyed Rosamunde Pilcher's books for years. So happy to find well-written novels that are not gruesome or over-infused with sex. Just a good story line with well-developed characters and enough local detail to help you to imagine where you are. Highly recommended.
Trina Hollis
Oct 22, 2013 Trina Hollis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A real lovely story about a man coming to terms with his grief for the death of his wife and eventually finding love again. I love Rosamond Pilcher and this is written by her son definitely a chip off the block.
Janne
Mar 22, 2008 Janne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book - a story about dealing with grief and how one man overcomes it. The story was in some ways very predictable, but I still really enjoyed reading it - there was romance, business dishonesty, multiple family dynamics - all in all a nice read.
Lauren
Aug 27, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice summer read. Light but a good story.
Jenn
May 09, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel reminded me somewhat of an Archer epic saga. Now, I only say somewhat because it lacked a lot of the great things that Archer's novels have - one of which was length. Archer's novels can be heavy tomes and this one rang in at only 500 pages. It also lacked the love able characters and cliffhanging chapter endings.

However, An Ocean Apart was an okay novel. It had conspiracy, love affairs and tragicness (yes, I just made up that word). I can't compare Robin Pilcher to his mother's nove
Julie Barrett
Oct 22, 2014 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Ocean Apart by Robin Pilchner
Loved this book after I found out the author has a relative that is also an author.
This one is about a man who has lost his wife and he helps run a whiskey business with his father. He still has 3 kids and his mother looks after them as he wraps his head around his loss.
The kids think it is also a good idea for him to go to the states to get his mind back on track. Business things he finds are not going as planned and he uncovers many inconsistencies.
He has no mi
Linda
Dec 25, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosamunde’s son Robin writes a pretty good novel, too. David Corstorphine is grieving the loss of his wife to cancer. He has lost all interest in his job as an executive with Glendurnich Distilleries and spends most of his time tending the gardens on his parents’ estate in Scotland, forcing his retired father, Lord Inchelvie to come out of retirement and run the business. However, David is asked to travel to New York to attend a business meeting because his father is too elderly to go. David fi ...more
Sandy Flores
Lidiar con una pérdida de un ser amado siempre será una batalla dolora y sobre todo nos pondrá a prueba de que tan conectados con nosotros mismos estamos, que tanto conocemos nuestros límites y cuanto fue lo que dimos en la relación con esa persona.

A pesar de ser el primer libro de Robin Pilcher y creo que como muchos, yo también opino que no tiene nada que ver su obra con la de su madre, pues el da un recorrido por la mente masculina además el tiene un estilo muy pausado. Tampoco podemos espera
Lorraine
Feb 06, 2012 Lorraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, 2012
David Corstorphine is the heir to the Glendurnich Scotch family where he acts as Distribution Director. But his beloved wife Rachel has just died to cancer and David can no longer cope, and spends his days in the family gardens planting roses. After a botched meeting with the US distributors in New York, David is wandering the streets of Leesport on Long Island (he's staying with an old friend from Oxford) when he sees a notice for a temporary gardener and impulsively takes the job. He makes fri ...more
Kataklicik
I know it's unfair to compare Robin Pilcher with his mom, Rosamunde Pilcher; but it's inevitable. He chose to write in the same genre, in the same tone, in the same voice. (Heck, the intro written underneath his photograph in the book specifies he's his mom's son!)

Not that I'm complaining. I absolutely LOVE Rosamunde Pilcher. It's disconcerting though, to read Robin's work and still think that it's Rosamunde whispering to me through the pages. It's just uncanny, that's all.

Good book, Mr. Pilcher
Denise
Jan 10, 2010 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very difficult read. The first third was brutal, mostly because of the authors scottish grammar. I perservered because I wanted to see how a male author would handle sex scenes.... there were none. The high level plot was about a hostile corporate take over, which in the end was a non-existant threat. The other theme that ran through the book, was the emotional breakdown that the main character had after his wife died of cancer. While the last half of the book was easier reading, it was defini ...more
D. Eric
An enjoyable yet predictable story about finding love again after the death of your "one true love." In this case, the devastated David Corstorphine must pull himself out of the doldrums to help the family's whiskey business from a possible corporate takeover. To do so, David finds himself in the USA and meets an intriguing woman who may just be the one to finally come back to the real world and to begin living his life again.

This is written much in the manner of later Maeve Binchy novels: you e
Sue
Jun 08, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scotland, usa
A recent widower, David Corstorphine is trying to raise his three children in Scotland but is so wrapped up in the grief that he can't seem to move forward. A sudden business trip to New York pushes him to the brink of a breakdown. Being somewhere that no one knows you has it's benefits: he is able to settle in a seaside Long Island town and takes a job as a gardener. As he makes friends in his new setting, he is able to begin the process of healing.
Judy Yarborough
Jun 11, 2016 Judy Yarborough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It describes a Scottish man's (David's) softer emotional side. He is a great dad and son, has professional skills, musical, and sporting ones. His turmoil after losing his wife and not coping with the loss lead him to some time the USA where he sorts out his feelings and starts the healing process.

The ending disappointed me some, but all in all - a worthy story.
Yang Shu-yuan
Sep 27, 2009 Yang Shu-yuan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kurzbeschreibung
Nach dem Tod seiner Frau droht David an dem ungeheuren Schmerz zu zerbrechen und flieht nach Amerika. Unter Geheimhaltung seiner wahren Identität nimmt er dort eine Stelle als Gärtner an. Doch erst die Freundschaft zu dem kleinen Benji und dessen attraktiver Mutter lässt die Hoffnung in ihm aufkeimen, dass selbst ein verletztes Herz wieder heilen kann.
Shemeika Stone
Mar 02, 2015 Shemeika Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read a Robert Pilcher book I feel as if friends have come for a visit. The books are so good that I hate for them to end. The last few pages feel as if the new friends are leaving and it is a little sad. There are very few authors that make me feel this way. Superhero David and his family will be truly missed.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2001
A wonderful debut novel from Rosamunde Pilcher's son. David, who has been grieving, flies to America and becomes ill. Clever plotting as a business thread alternates with David's personal story, and although the ending was slightly contrived, it didn't spoil the overall enjoyment of an excellent and often moving book. Robin has evidently inherited his mother's gift for sympathetic characters!
Heidi
Mar 11, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because my Mom suggested it and reviewed it on here. It peeked my interest. Not my usual style of book, but I found it to be very enjoyable. It wasn't a fast mindless read. It had a lot of depth. I cried for the main character. I was that emotionally involved. I would suggest reading this book.
Sharon
Oct 12, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting how his subject matter was very similar to his mom's. It definitely had more of a male outlook. The only quibble I have was the American characters speaking (and thinking) in British idioms. Is there really not one American person in Britain who can proofread books for these kinds of errors?
Cindy
Aug 06, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the writing style, the Scottish words and style; but the story became long and drawn out. I like the love story in the beginning but the book turns to just a business salvation. Bugger... As the Scott's say.
  • Wild Mountain Thyme
  • A Week in Winter
  • The Parting Glass
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Homecoming
  • The High Flyer
Robin Pilcher was born on 10 August 1950, the eldest son of author Rosamunde Pilcher, née Scott (aka Jane Fraser) and Graham Hope Pilcher, also he had a brother and two sisters. He has been a cameraman, a songwriter, and a farmer, co-managed a mail order business, and has had numerous other jobs. He lives with his wife and children near Dundee, Scotland, and in the Sierra de Aracena mountain area ...more
More about Robin Pilcher...