Start by marking “Cinderlily: A Floral Fairytale” as Want to Read:
Cinderlily: A Floral Fairytale

Cinderlily: A Floral Fairytale

Where have all the flowers gone? They’re dancing up a storm in this whimsical, wondrous rendition of a well-known fairy tale, created by the one and only David Ellwand.

For hours beneath the velvet sky they dance without a care,
Until the clock chimes midnight . . . then she’s no longer there!
Just a single lily petal and her fragrance in the air.

One magic night, a poor cin
Published October 13th 2003 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Cinderlily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderlily

(NS) Panagiota Angelos
Oct 11, 2009 (NS) Panagiota Angelos rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional-lit
David Ellwand uses digital photography to re-create the story of Cinderella in a unique and witty manner. This version called Cinderlily uses flowers as characters. The book is written in three acts as a series of clever rhymes. The story begins with a formal invitation (printed on a leaf of course) to all the flowers: “Please gather at the Palace for the Royal Autumn Ball. Tonight the Sultan will choose his bride – the loveliest bloom of all.” Cinderlily’s evil sisters do not allow her to atten ...more
Sarah Murray
Sep 06, 2011 Sarah Murray rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a very nice spin to the old fairy tale Cinderella. There are so many variations of the story Cinderella, but this one has got to be the most clever in my book. All of the characters have the appearance of some sort of flower. Cinderlily is actually a dried up lily. The pictures of the story are actual flowers that were photographed and made to fit in the story. I couldn't stop staring at the different flowers used and seeing how exactly this story was different than the o ...more
 (NS) Maria
Oct 14, 2009 (NS) Maria rated it really liked it
Wow! I love the beautiful photographs of flowers and the unique characters in the fairy tale. The main idea of the story is about Cinderlily and her sisters going to the castle to try to marry the sultan. The sultan would need to dance with every girl to see if their is a connection. Once the sultan meets Cinderlily his hearts beats so fast and he is in love. They get married and live happily ever after. Also, I liked the characters as flowers and the dancing. I felt it had a lot of "theaterical ...more
Madison
Feb 08, 2017 Madison rated it liked it
A very good adaptation of Cinderella although it's always hard for me to compare variations to the original.
Valerie
Oct 11, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Summary/A Thoughtful Review:
In this "garden" rendition of the original Cinderella tale, Cinderlily, a withered Lily flower, desires to go to the Sultan's Autumn Ball, but instead, is forced to clean the house and help her floral family prepare for the ball. With the unexpected arrival of her Fairy Godlily, Cinderlily is transformed into a blooming flower to be taken to the ball in a pumpkin coach pulled by six fluttering butterflies. The Sultan and Cinderlily dance the night away until midnight
Christopher Clark
Jun 30, 2011 Christopher Clark rated it really liked it
An ugly, wilting flower with two beautifully bloomed and mean stepsisters, Cinderlily is forced to stay home from the Sultan’s Ball. However, when her fairy godmother appears and makes her beautiful again, she finally has her chance to be noticed by the Sultan, but loses one of her petals when she flees at midnight.

This story is a wonderful interpretation of the classic story of Cinderella. Instead of people, they are flowers, and “Cinderlily” loses her petal instead of a slipper. However, this
Angela
Apr 18, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Cinderella. This is a twist on the classic Cinderella, only with flowers as the characters. The book provides wonderful illustrations of flowers to portray the characters. It has the same ending as original but still a classic.

I could use this book to teach how we can take a story or a fairytale and apply it to any object. Maybe I could have the students re-write their favorite fairytale with different objects.
Mary
Feb 27, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok
A little too artsy for my taste as well as most kids' tastes. A twist on the traditional Cinderella story told with flowers as characters that are the same shape as the brooms that come to life in the Mickey Sorcerer's Apprentice cartoon. Not suited for group sharing or beginning reading. An individual child looking at the pictures could appreciate some of them, but not all children will.
Sydneia
I liked the new twist on Cinderella in this story in which flowers were used in place of people. I do wonder if children would appreciate the different concept. The story is written with a poetic style which is also nice. I think the story would be suitable for readers 6-8.
Jen
Jul 13, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Whoever thought that the age old story of Cinderella could ever be told so eloquently using floral characters?! Not I! This is a new twist on an old tale and the floral photography in this book is magnificent!
Elizabeth S
Dec 29, 2010 Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture
This concept worked surprisingly well. I thought my preschooler would be confused with using flowers for people, but she figured it out and enjoyed the story.
Miri
Pretty interesting version of the Cinderella story, with a floral cast of characters photographed (and photoshopped) by David Ellwand.
Karen E. Garcia
Jan 11, 2017 Karen E. Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Cinderella with everyone being a type of flower instead of people. Using photography instead of painting, the images matched the style of the book. The story was well written and quite charming.
Rachelccameron
I liked this version!
The poetry wasn't awesome but the illustrations were great and having the characters as flowers was interesting.
Drew Pape
Apr 18, 2013 Drew Pape rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: My friends and Phyllis smith(MOM)
Recommended to Drew by: Ms.Nugent
Really funny & unique fairytale

B Denton
B Denton rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2011
YoSafBridg
YoSafBridg rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2009
Jessica O'hanlon
Jessica O'hanlon rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Danica Midlil
Danica Midlil rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Briney Ferry
Briney Ferry rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2007
Ginger
Ginger rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
De
De rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2013
Linda Hennen
Linda Hennen rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
TR
TR rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Peggy Tallon
Peggy Tallon rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2013