Start by marking “The Monster at the End of this Book” as Want to Read:
The Monster at the End of this Book

The Monster at the End of this Book (A Little Golden Book)

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  103,107 Ratings  ·  2,470 Reviews
Lovable, furry old Grover is distressed to learn that there's a monster at the end of this book! He begs readers not to turn the pages, but of course kids feel they just have to see this monster for themselves. But there is a surprise at the end of the book. This fun and funny book will delight readers of all ages.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published January 6th 2015 by Golden Books (first published 1971)

Jeremy
Jun 06, 2007 Jeremy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I had a very love/hate relationship with The Muppets in my early youth. I really, really liked watching "The Muppet Show" and "Sesame Street". They were two of my favorite shows, and I still hold both in high regard. However, every now and then and completely out of nowhere, a Muppet would do something that genuinely terrified me. For example, I really hated that old "Sesame" sketch when a couple of mild-mannered puppets would calmly take turns whispering words that rhymed to a gently jazzy beat ...more
Diane
Nov 01, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was one of my all-time favorite books when I was a kid. In the story, Grover begs the reader to stop turning pages because each page brings us closer to a monster at the end of the book, and Grover is afraid of monsters. He tries to nail the pages shut, he tries to tie the pages down, he even builds a brick wall. But somehow the reader always turns the page.

My mother used to read this book to me, and she was great at doing funny voices. I remember laughing so hard as she acted out Grover b
s.penkevich
This book was a childhood favorite of mine, and I suspect that my love of metafiction stems from this book. However, as an adult I find this book to be slightly sadistic. Grover BEGS you to not turn the page in order to keep from reaching the monster that will be found on the final page ((view spoiler)), building brick walls and such to thwart your progress. However, the fun is laughing at Grover as you ignore his ple ...more
Raizel
Jul 06, 2007 Raizel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting.
Gave me goose bumps.

A true page turner till the end.
Kim
Mar 11, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, holy-shit

‘Oh great,’ you’re thinking, ‘another witty endeavor where a Goodreader reflects back on a childhood favorite. Oh joy.'

Well, suck it up and deal.

A-hem… While rifling through the book section at my local Goodwill; I came across this little gem. Copyright 1980, Little Golden Books® edition complete with all our favorite characters outlining the back cover… The Tawny Scrawny Lion, Tootle, The Poky Little Puppy… that famous gold-foil binding (seriously, it says so… right on the back!) A little girl
Kirk
"I . . . am the monster"
Grover Monster

This is probably one of the most profound statements in literary history to date. Today, there are hundreds of books, films and television shows which address man's incapacity to negotiate his own darkness. In many variations of the tale, we see the darkness within projected outward, cast onto another real or imagined character. Stephen King's Secret Window, even the latest season of Dexter reacquaints us with this age-old phenomenon, but never have they
Lisa
Feb 08, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A favorite in my household! :)
Steven Stark
Jan 17, 2009 Steven Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out great! I love Grover.

The problem is that Grover asks you to not turn any more pages, because of his belief that there is a monster at the end of the book. I decided to honor Grover's wish.

Oh, I turned a few pages. But when Grover took the time to tie all the pages together to discourage me from turning any more, well, I just didn't have the heart to go on. The little guy was really scared.

But I can't help but think.....are all monsters necessarily bad? You know it's funny -
Alex
May 05, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: postmodern dissertation writers; toddlers
Shelves: children
Top 8 Most Shocking Twists In Literature

8. Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
7. We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley jackson
6. The Castle by Kafka (Twist ending: the guy dies! No, not that guy. Kafka.)
5. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
4. Money: A Suicide Note by Martin Amis
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Reader, you what? Why?)
2. Borges, especially most of The Aleph
1. This right here, which dials up the meta to post-Borgesian levels. Mind-blowing!

Warning: do not read GR descrip
Courtney
Oct 09, 2007 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: postmodern scholars
We are the monster we fear.

We are also the monster that induces fear in others, sometimes by an act as simple as turning a page.

The reader is the author of meaning.

Simply existing and acting causes ripples in the realities of others which we are incapable of comprehending.

When you pick up a stone, the earth is lighter.

When you turn the page, you are one moment closer to your own death.

Not turning the page will not make the monster at the end of this book dissapear either, he will never go away
Brad
I do an ass kicking impersonation of Grover. Just ask my kids.

Actually, I can do any of the Muppets voiced by Frank Oz -- Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Sam the Eagle, Cookie Monster, Bert, even Yoda (which is my son's fave), but Grover is my best.

So when I was looking for a book for my little Scoutie a couple of months ago, something that I could hide away and save for just her and me, and I stumbled upon a little board book version of this Little Golden Book classic, I had to have it.

I'd forgotten all
Amanda
(4/23/09) I saw a quote from this book on my friend Misha's profile last night and a flood of good feelings came rushing over me. While I don't remember the specifics of the story (other than the surprise ending!), I do remember reading it a hundred thousand times. I remember the golden spine, a different texture than the rest of the hard cover. I remember, that maybe, years later, the dog chewed the corner. And I remember loving this book a lot.

Funny, as I think about it now, I wonder why I've
Rand
Jan 27, 2013 Rand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You haven't really read this until you've read it over thirty times in three days to a six year old with severely violent tendencies due to autism.
Marie Antoinette
What can i say? Classics never die! It's time to be a kid again.

The first time i read this book i was 8 years old, it was a birthday present from my parents, i was so happy because i loved Sesame Street, Who doesn't love S.S when they are kids right?

The most amazing thing about this book is that Grover is trying to stop us from reaching the end of the book, where he knows there is a monster and when we are kids we love to be scared because deep down, we know we are in no real danger.

So we tur
Mike
Jan 30, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with little ones
Shelves: kids
This is my youngest daughter’s “most favoritest book” and to be honest, it is a joy to read it with her… every night… until she finds another favoritest book.
Rebekah Rodda
Dec 29, 2016 Rebekah Rodda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Such fun to read. I loved this as a child and my kids enjoy this too. One you can read over and over.
Damian
Nov 09, 2009 Damian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is perfect for your 2-4 year old. It gives your child permission to disobey important instructions from cute, loveable Grover (who could whoop Elmo in a Sesame street fight).

The book grabs your attention from the very first line, with Grover teasing your child's curiosity about a potential monster at the end of the book, all the while begging your child NOT to turn the page. And yet we encourage the child to do it anyway.

This "cute-for-now" moment will be stored in your child's memor
Scott Rhee
Jul 28, 2013 Scott Rhee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I am impatiently anticipating the exciting moment when I can read this book aloud to my daughter. One of my favorites of the many Golden Books that I cherished as a kid, "The Monster at the End of this Book" by Jon Stone is a perfect, fun little story that taught me the joys of suspense and patience, as my mother used to gleefully take her time turning the pages, while I wiggled with joyous excitement until the last page which, of course (***spoiler alert!***), revealed that the monster was none ...more
Christina
Nov 17, 2007 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is absolutely my favorite book of all time. I really can't remember when I first read it so I just guessed. I have always loved Grover as long as I can remember. It is such a clever and fun book, and while it does kind of play on kids' little rebellious streaks (turning the pages when Grover is trying everything in his power to get the reader not to), it also incites kids to keep reading all the way to the end, to finish what you start, to foster a healthy sense of curiosity, and even to no ...more
Kristie
Jul 23, 2016 Kristie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my children when they were young. It is very funny. The whole book is basically Grover trying to stop you from getting to the end of the book because there is a monster there and he is afraid of monsters. I remember my girls giggling every time they turned a page and ruined his plans to stop them. :)
Avis Black
This was the very first book I ever bought with my own money, me being the age of seven, and I remember the whole event as being almost frighteningly grown-up, to actually buy a book. I also annoyed the crap out of my parents by making them read it to me repeatedly. Loved it at the time.
Anastasia Riebs
Dec 08, 2013 Anastasia Riebs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It feels a little bit goofy to rate a Little Golden Book as five stars, but The Monster at the End of this Book, written by Jon Stone is just that adorable. Grover Monster from Sesame Street is at his endearing best as he does his very best (despite great trepidation on his part) to protect the reader from the scary monster at the end of the book. Pages come alive as Grover hides inside the binding and behind torn pages when things get too scary for poor little Grover to handle by himself. Child ...more
Zachary
Jan 31, 2008 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone human or humanoid in nature
In A Farewell to Arms, Hemingway stated that life seeks to break everyone and those whom it cannot break, it kills. In The Monster at the End of this Book, we find loveable, furry Grover faced with the challenge of a life that is out to break him down at all costs. From the title page on, the reader understands that living is a constant challenge for the friendly blue muppet with the gruff but sensitive voice, and sympathy and respect develop instantly for a character who refuses to capitulate h ...more
midnightfaerie
Oct 15, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
One of my favorite books as a child and now the same for my children. A great idea for a plot with our favorite lovable characters. I do like the first book a little better than the second one, but still worth the read!
Melki
Feb 25, 2012 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both my boys LOVED this book. The youngest one would literally begin vibrating with excitement as that last page drew nearer and nearer.
Nada
Jul 18, 2015 Nada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a children's book, I know, but a very good one actually.
Meg
Jan 26, 2009 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT! Another great kid's book. I can't even BEG my son into putting it down. If you need a hilarious book that will get your 3- to 7-year-old more interested in reading, Grover's got it made-to-order, as usual. You can find this book online for just a few bucks, and it might be the one that opens up the world for your little one. I still maintain that any kid who doesn't love to read just hasn't met the right book yet.

(Man, I miss those skits of Grover as a waiter... They always made MY life
Akemi G
I read this with my friend's daughter. She was 4 or 5 at the time. We enjoyed it very much.

I could philosophize and say, "This story signifies the problems that can arise with a prophecy," but it'd be no fun.
Tim
Jul 12, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A stone classic. Right up there with Guernica and the Beatles White Album.
Kathy
Aug 19, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book to read to my kids. I like this one much better than the sequel Another Monster at the end of This Book.
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
  • We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Little Golden Books)
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • Piggies
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant (A Little Golden Book)
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Bark, George
Stone graduated from Williams College in 1952. He received a master's degree from the Yale University School of Drama in 1955, at which time he joined a CBS training program. Before helping to create Sesame Street, he worked on the popular children's television show Captain Kangaroo for CBS. He also worked on several other Muppet projects before and during his time on Sesame Street, and was the au ...more
More about Jon Stone...

A Little Golden Book (1 - 10 of 94 books)
  • 1 2 3 Juggle With Me!: A Counting Book
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • 101 Dalmations: Rainbow Puppies
  • 101 Dalmatians: Snow Puppies
  • 5 Pennies to Spend
  • ABC Around the House: A Little Golden Activity Book
  • ABC Is For Christmas (Little Golden Book)
  • ABC Rhymes (Little Golden Books)
  • About the Seashore