Start by marking “The Blue Fairy Book (Dover Children's Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Blue Fairy Book (Dover Children's Classics)
Read Book* *Different edition

The Blue Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  6,174 ratings  ·  195 reviews

Andrew Lang may not be a household name to you, but rest assured that his collections of stories are.

This collection of 37 stories includes such classic favorites as:

Published December 26th 2004 by Old LandMark Publishing (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Fairy Book

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I always loved fairytales when I was a little kid––and no, not the silly watered-down ones. I liked the real, hardcore shit. The fairytales where everyone dies. Those are the good ones. Those Disney princess movies always bored me. (Except I loved Beauty and the Beast, because Belle isn't a dumbass and she reads a lot––like meeee!)

Anyway, if I recall correctly, I had at least one of Andrew Lang's fairytale collections when I was a kid … maybe a couple of them. Then, this past month, I had an ass
What I did while reading this book was I wrote short little notes for each story, so that in the future I could look back and see which stories were worth reading again, or recommending. I gave each story a mini-rating of 1-3 asterisks (*), with 1 being the "horrible" and 3 being "just okay". Overall though, I was severally disappointed in this book of fairy tales.

The Bronze Ring: *This story was slightly shocking. The way they dealt with the evil man in the end was a violent. I did not like the
"She lives in a castle which lies east of the sun and west of the moon..."

Of all the fairy book spectrum, I'm glad I started with blue. More than a few old favourites in here, in particular the stories East of the Sun, West of the Moon, and Beauty and the Beast. It's lovely regardless, I think, to fall every now and then into a world where, even before first sight, people can fall so deeply in love that they can't eat or drink (view spoiler)
Lang wrote some of the stories, but he largely edited this collection. Like the Grimms, but far more honest, Lang used translations provided by his wife and other women (he thanks the women in his introduction, gives credit to original sources at the end of the tales).

It makes this collection, the first, rather interesting. By and large, the stories are mostly from the Grimms and French Salons. They include well known favorites like "Cinderella" but also lesser known ones such as "The Yellow Dwa
Hp Tan
Nov 20, 2011 Hp Tan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: really, really bored people
Shelves: my-ebooks
From the famed The Blue Fairy Book, I learned that:

1. If you are a girl, and you are "beautiful", so amazingly pretty that sometimes, there are just no words to describe you, you might just survive whatever is coming at you next, because

2. The villains can never defeat the good, because someway or other, there will always, out of the blue, and completely deus ex machina-like, pop out these magical items that might just save the beautiful girl's ass(oops, I mean, her cute behind).

3. You just hav
Mary Catelli
This is the one I personally owned as a child. As the very first, it is chock-full of the standard issue, top-20 pop charts tales -- among others. Heavily from Norwegian, French, and German sources.

Though even with the popular ones, he may include things you don't know. He follows Perrault in Sleeping Beauty in the Woods, and so the story does not end when she wakes up. Beauty and the Beast has significant dreams for Beauty.

And some ones not too familar. "Why the Sea Is Salt." "Snow White and Ro
I'm excited to be re-reading these!

I appear to have bookmarked (on my e-reader) the story of Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess, perhaps because the female Fairy has a large role. In fact, I had sort of forgotten what a significant percentage of traditional fairy tales - even western ones - have active women using agency. Hint: They're mostly not the ones that people today are aware of, because they're not the ones retold in the media.

Anyway, more of my bookmarks: I really liked The Ta
The book assembled a wide range of tales, with seven from the Brothers Grimm, five from Madame d'Aulnoy, three from the Arabian Nights, and four Norse stories, among other sources.

"The Bronze Ring" - According to Lang's preface, this version of this fairy tale from the Middle East or Central Asia was translated and adapted from Traditions Populaires de l'Asie Mineure by Carnoy et Nicolaides. (Paris:Maison-neuve, 1889.)

"Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess" - a French fairy tale from Le P
Matthew Hunter
My main takeaway from Lang's "Blue Fairy Book"? "Happily ever after" is far from the norm! These tales include grizzly murders, playing on insecurities, forced marriages, abductions, and maniacal little people. Take "Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess" as an example.
If you had a complex about your de Bergerac-like nose, how'd you like to have a prattling fairy and dinner host say: "My dear Prince, might I beg you to move a little more that way, for your nose casts such a shadow that I
Lindsay Stares
The stories in this collection have an amazing range, and Lang is good enough to cite his source for almost all of his tales. There are 37 stories total, including six selections from Grimm, five from Perrault, a couple Scots tales (in dialect, sort of), a few British traditionals, three from the Arabian Nights, the part of Gulliver's Travels about Lilliput, and a full retelling of the Perseus myth with different names. It's almost overwhelming.

A few of them are really unique ones.

“The History o
If you're like me, you probably grew up on fairy tales. We live in a Disney society of Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc. But have you ever taken the time to read the actual fairy tales? The Brothers Grimm? Hans Christian Andersen? There are some similarities between Disney and Grimm, but the differences is where the beauty is. In this reprint of a classic, Andrew Lang gathered fairy tales from around the world, edited, and compiled them into different fairy books.

For those who have
Terri Lynn
I reread this book that I read many years ago. There is a selection of some of the best known fairytales as well as more rare ones, all in their ORIGINAL versions which is NOT the same as the saccharine sweet clean-up Disney-ized versions. If you want to read the real deal, try out this book of the original stories the way they were meant to be read.
Hmmm. I loved this book and fairy tales in general when I was a kid bur retracing them only makes me a little sad at the realization that they are pretty much tales of horrible family betrayal and that the real moral of many of them is that as long as you are the most beautiful princess and the youngest then it will probably turn out ok.
Denisse Garza
Aug 03, 2015 Denisse Garza is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es una antología de 37 cuentos de hadas. Al parecer, estos están en su versión original, por lo que espero encontrar situaciones perturbadoras como se dice que estas historias, aparentemente de niños, tienen.

Debido a que son muchas las historias, iré resumiendo mi impresión de cada una conforme las vaya leyendo, enfocándome en lo perturbador que encuentre en cada una de ellas.

1. The Bronze Ring (1 estrella): aburrida y nada fuera de lo normal sucede. No es un cuento de hadas conocido
Nov 16, 2012 Blake marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The book " The blue fairy " is wrote for a wide spread of audience. It has many stories in it. There is no specific location of the stories. Some are in kingdoms and some are in modern times.

The book begins with a story about a gardeners son who falls in love with the kings daughter and she with him. Throughout the story the boy comes to different challenges to over come to win the princesses hand in marriage. These include wining a race with the kings closest friends son, who also wishes to m
Elinor  Loredan
Favorites: Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess, The Yellow Dwarf, The Master Maid, Why the Sea is Salt, The White Cat, the Water-Lily. The Gold-Spinners, The Story of Pretty Goldilocks, The Wonderful Sheep, Prince Darling, The Princess on the Glass Hill. Most of the stories have some magical element or character I like, but is overly violent, or I have trouble relating to a character's actions or motives. The hero of the Bronze Ring, for example, strikes me as very selfish; didn't Littl ...more

I was leaning towards a four star, but couldn't make up my mind. I enjoyed the collection of fairy tales. There were many fairy tales that were introduced to me and ones I heard throughout my childhood. I understood the time that these were written, but I did find the repetitiveness of "being pretty" and "pretty princess" was tedious. I want girls with wit and character and adventure, not idly standing for their princes to come and save them. It was a great review of yesterday's fairy tales tho
Mar 31, 2015 Skjam! rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, parents, fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Skjam! by: Goodreads
Once upon a time, (1889 to be specific), British children did not have access to collections of fairy tales. Educators of the time thought fairy tales were too unrealistic and harmful to children, and beneath adults. Mr. Lang felt differently; he had delighted in such tales when young, and the Grimm Brothers had done quite well with their books. He selected stories from many countries, and his wife and other translators brought the foreign ones into English for the first time.

The Colour Fairy Bo
Mary Christy
I read the Beauty and the Beast story from this novel - as per the recommendation of my English instructor, and I must say, I quite liked this version of the classic tale. There was more background on Belle and her family, which was quite large in this version. I think the addition of brothers and sisters helped to show more of Beauty's disposition. While all of her sisters asked their father for dresses and jewels and riches while he was away, Beauty simply wished for her father's safe return. ...more
The first book in the collection. There's so many great stories in here. The stories in here are mostly the famous ones - Perrault, the Brothers Grimm, and my personal favorite, Madame d'Aulnoy. So many of the classics are here.

My favorite stories:
- The Bronze Ring
- The Yellow Dwarf (probably my favorite fairy tale with a sad ending)
- The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood (based on Perrault's version and includes the second half of the story with the prince's ogress mom)
- Cinderella (this was my favor
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Finished this along side Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version and it served as a great comparison. Although not all of the stories were the same, it showed now the English language has progressed.

Side note: I listened to this at night before bed to help me fall asleep. I really like what has done.
Fairy tales have always been my favorite kind of story - anything from Cinderella to Rapunzel. There's a 12 books to this series, they're all anthologies of fairy tales/folk lore from all over the world compiled by Andrew Lang. This blue book features 29 short stories.

Be aware that the tales here are not the Disney version of fairy tales, it's the gruesome and somewhat true version of the tales. I'm happy to say a few of my favorite tales are featured in this blue book - Beauty and the Beast, C
I am not done with the book yet, but I am enjoying it. The reviewers seem to have overlooked the fact that this text was written over 100 years ago by a man compiling folk and fairy tales he had found. He was translating and trying to have them make sense; in a different language at times. So many people are harsh on older texts because they are old fashioned. Obviously. Read a more up to date version if you have a problem. There are plenty of those out there.
Elizabeth Means
So finally I'm done with this book,it took me from 6/1/15-6/18/15 to finish it because of 2 things.1st it kind put me in a little reading slump si I had to stop reading it and pick something else up,which worked and 2nd from6/11/15-6/13/15 I had a really bad migraine headache,so because of after the the 6-14/15 I would read at least 2 of the stories ,st to I finally finished it.
Zach Sparks
This is a review of the edition (big thanks to all the volunteers who make it possible). It was interestting to listen to such a broad range of fairytales read by so many different people. There are a few that I was familiar with before The Blue Fairy Book; namely Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood (different ending; must have been Grimm), Sleeping Beauty (no dragons in this pre-Disney tale), The Tale of a Youth who Set Out to Learn What Fear Was (a variation of the one I know), Rum ...more
These are lovely old stories that have not been sanitized for the protection of children. Reading them as an adult will bring back memories of these stories from your own childhood, or perhaps introduce you to stories you've heard of, but have never actually read or heard told. One before bedtime every night.
John Petts
It was very interesting reading a hundred year old version of Sleeping Beauty, Ali Baba and Little Red Riding Hood. There were plenty of other stories I had never heard of, including a couple in Scottish - which I had to read with a Sean Connery accent to make any sense of. Fun book!
I was addicted to these as a child and had all the colors. I still remember them wistfully, even though the books are long gone from my house. (Mom didn't believe in keeping books once you'd grown out of them, she made us donate our books to the church rummage sales.)
Got to admit--some of these are definitely in the "folk, not children's" story genre. Or maybe kids were more comfortable dealing with the world of terrible people doing terrible things. My own nephew? Thinks Disney is too intense.
This is a pretty good collection of fairy tales. While I didn't realize that this is the first in the series when I bought it, I'm glad I started here, because it's interesting to see what Lang thought was important enough to include in his debut volume. There are some of my favorites here, including Rapunzel and The Goose Girl (I like Cinderella, but this has the Perrault version rather than my preferred Grimm's one). There were also a bunch of stories that were new to me, with highlights inclu ...more
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Black Swan, White Raven
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • Pocahontas
  • The Dark of the Woods
  • Russian Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • The King of the Golden River
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • American Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang...

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Red Fairy Book
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • The Olive Fairy Book
The Red Fairy Book The Green Fairy Book The Yellow Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book The Violet Fairy Book

“So labour at your Alphabet,
For by that learning shall you get
To lands where Fairies may be met.”
“Go, my dear, and see how thy grandmamma does, for I hear she has been very ill; carry her a custard, and this little pot of butter.” 2 likes