Start by marking “The Making of Gone with the Wind” as Want to Read:
The Making of Gone with the Wind

The Making of Gone with the Wind

Gone With The Wind is one of the most popular movies of all time. To commemorate its seventy-fifth anniversary in 2014, The Making of Gone With The Wind presents more than 600 items from the archives of David O. Selznick, the film's producer, and his business partner John Hay "Jock" Whitney, which are housed at the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin. ...more
Published September 1st 2014 by University of Texas Press

To ask other readers questions about The Making of Gone with the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of Gone with the Wind

Susan Meissner
Nov 21, 2014 Susan Meissner rated it it was amazing
One of the things I enjoy most about writing historical fiction is the research I simply must do up front. My upcoming 2016 novel is about two studio secretaries who meet in 1939 during the filming of Gone With The Wind, so I've been devouring everything I can about the making of this epic film for about a year.

This beautifully designed book, pretty enough for your coffee table, was well worth the wait. It was just released this autumn in conjunction with a GWTW exhibit at the Harry Ransom Cent
Elaine Neal
Mar 13, 2015 Elaine Neal rated it it was amazing
An excellent portrayal of the production of the very complex and sometimes controversial classic film. Written to coincide with the film exhibition at the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas in Austin, this impressive commemorative volume displays formerly unknown documents and behind the scenes correspondence of the major production team of David O. Selznick.
I was fortunate enough to view the GWTW exhibition itself on the final weekend of its run. The crowds at the exhibition were en
Jess
Nov 18, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-booklist
The pictures in this book were stunning. It was really neat to see the possible choices for Scarlett before Vivien Leigh came around. Some of the things were a little boring, like the memos and other correspondence between the people at the studios, directors and letters from the public. Another thing that was interesting was the order that they shot the film. It was all over the place. On the same day, they filmed Rhett and Scarlett's reactions to watching Bonnie fall to her death and then ...more
Lisa Howard
Dec 29, 2014 Lisa Howard rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book is filled with stunning photos, letters, memos and more! So many details and interesting facts about my favorite movie of all time!
Ada  Library
Lots of interesting stuff for fans of GWTW, includes set photos, stills, notes from David O. Selznick.
Jill Meyer
May 07, 2016 Jill Meyer rated it it was amazing
Margaret Mitchell's classic "Gone With The Wind" is one of my favorite books. I try to reread it every couple of years or so. It is as compelling to me as it was when I first read it in 8th grade. I took my copy to school and would "sneak read" when I was supposed to be listening to some boring ol' lesson. Not much came between me and my Scarlett.

But the movie "Gone With The Wind" frustrated me when I first saw it in 1967 and continues to bother me to this day. I sat in that huge theater in down
Lorry Chwazik
Jan 19, 2015 Lorry Chwazik rated it it was amazing
Both the GWTW amateur devotee and film historian have much to admire, study, and drool over in this lush homage to the 1939 film. Chock-full of production, make-up, and set stills, the volume also includes hundreds of memos and letters addressing pre-production, casting, schedules, and concerns so vehemently expressed by citizens concerned with the movie's accuracy and politics. The topic of racism and David O. Selznick's dilemma between commitment to the novel and history while being sensitive ...more
Christine Sinclair
GREAT book! I'm a huge fan of GWTW, and have read many books about it. This is definitely the best! The photos are superb, the detail is impressive and (yes, it's true) the backstory of the making of GWTW is just as interesting as the novel itself. I read every word, even the appendix, and I learned many new trivia answers. Yakima Canutt, the stunt double for Clark Gable in the burning of Atlanta scenes, also played the man who attacked Scarlett when she was driving through shanty town. And who ...more
Joanne
Feb 02, 2016 Joanne rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty coffee table book about the making of the movie, which gave me some insight into how complicated movie-making is. Sets to do, people to arrange, complications of all kinds arise.

Book is nice for acknowledging the controversy of race and racism from the book and movie. It's difficult in that the text is not always linear. Some person or event will be mentioned as if it's already been introduced, when it hasn't, and then will be explained a few pages later. Seems to be an editing problem.
*Andrejcick*
Jun 04, 2016 *Andrejcick* rated it it was amazing
Very thorough and revealing. I knew movies were overly censored, but this open my eyes to just how many "suggestions" were received by movie makers. Loved the photos and letters back and forth between all the people who contributed to the making of this awesome movie. I'm so glad they held out until they found Vivien Leigh!!
Julie
Jan 06, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
As a big fan of GWTW and having read several books about the movie, I welcomed the chance to read this new one. I didn't learn a lot of new information, but enjoyed the pictures and walk down memory lane.
Jan Polep
Jan 31, 2015 Jan Polep rated it really liked it
This huge coffee table book is a tell-all about how the picture got made, who was cast in the juicy roles and why, who objected to the script/clothes/sets/premieres and more. No one-take-wonder this classic. Amazing to see what didn't get into the movie as well as what did. Superman...seriously.
Amanda
Nov 20, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Pliscou
Lisa Pliscou rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Msbookworm
Msbookworm rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Ivy
Ivy rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Sabrina Reiger
Sabrina Reiger rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Emily Graziano
Emily Graziano rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Melinda Harbin
Melinda Harbin rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
LaFyrne Pratt
LaFyrne Pratt rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Mary Mcelveen
Mary Mcelveen rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Scarlett Letters: The Making of the Film Gone with the Wind
  • The Complete Gone with the Wind Trivia Book: The Movie and More
  • The Chicago World's Fair of 1893: A Photographic Record
  • Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame
  • Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows
  • Memo from David O. Selznick
  • The Huntress: The Adventures, Escapades, and Triumphs of Alicia Patterson: Aviatrix, Sportswoman, Journalist, Publisher
  • Brotherhood of the Revolution: How America's Founders Forged a New Nation
  • Frankly, My Dear: "Gone with the Wind" Revisited
  • The Kissing Sailor: The Mystery Behind the Photo That Ended World War II
  • Rose Wilder Lane: Her story
  • The History of the Book in 100 Books: The Complete Story, from Egypt to E-Book
  • First Ladies
  • Vargic's Miscellany of Curious Maps
  • Eve of a Hundred Midnights: The Star-Crossed Love Story of Two WWII Correspondents and their Epic Escape Across the Pacific
  • The 12-Bottle Bar: A Dozen Bottles. Hundreds of Cocktails. the Only Guide You Need for an Amazing Home Bar
  • The Public Library: A Photographic Essay