Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery, #8)

Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  625 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Still recovering from breaking up with her boyfriend and alienating half the people in town, Skye Denison has sworn off men—but she hires sexy contractor Beau Hamilton to renovate the old house she inherited. After all, who can ignore his qualifications? Golden hair, bronzed chest, muscular thighs—he’s just too good to be true.

Sure enough, he has a reputation for conning t...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Signet

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
333rd out of 343 books — 64 voters
The Kitchen Boy by Robert AlexanderThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John BoyneThe Boy in the Suitcase by Lene KaaberbølA Suitable Boy by Vikram SethEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. Sobol
Books with the word 'Boy' in the title
50th out of 141 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenn
I'm finally caught up. I've read these all out of order and this is my last one. If possible, Skye was even less intelligent here than she's been in other books. I just...I just wanted to hit her.

"Hi. I know you don't know me, but your lawyer friend says I should fix up your house for you. Go ahead and look around your house with me, all by yourself, with no protection, alone without even confirming with your friend that I'm legit. Ooh! And then let me change your lock for you! I know you've bee...more
Vicky
Oooooohhhh! A "real bad boy" is defined as a male that rides a motorcycle? OK. How can Skye be seen as the murder solving sleuth the town knows her as when she is a person who constantly backs down from any confrontation? The police are trained and skilled in solving crimes but in every book they have "missed the mark" with such blatant in-your-face clues.

Once again, I purchased the Scumble River books as a set and vow to get through them but I have to voice my disgust with the writing attempt...more
Edel
This is book eight in the Scumble River mystery series by Denise Swanson. Scumble River is a fictional town and here lies plenty of adventure and secrets. In this book Skye Denison(school Psychologist) hires hunky bad boy Beau Hamilton to do some construction work on her house but this bad boy has a bit of a reputation and it was not long before Skye had to start looking for another contractor.

Poor Skye is really having a heard time in this book with her love life and there seems to be somethin...more
Joanna
This series is so bland and repetetive, I spent a good chunk of time wondering if I had already read this one. Why do I bother? And yet by the end I am invested in the "mystery of the week" enough to forgive lovely Skye for repeating herself, verbatim, book after book. I want to like her and her friends, I really do. It's just that she explains herself so thoroughly and with such a superior yet sniveling manner that I just want to shake her editor. Plus it's great for when you are zonked on the...more
Sheri
Murder of a Real Bad Boy (Scumble River Mystery, #8)Denise Swanson

Skye is trying to settle into her newly inherited house. She hires a contractor to come and make repairs. Soon he ends up dead. In her investigations she finds he has slighted a lot of people. The suspect list is growing. Skye is on the scene to solve this crime.

Fast paced, light read. I liked hearing more about Bunny, and I am trying to get used to Skye in her new relationship. The same fun characters are back. I look forward to...more
Natasha
It just didn't hold my attention the way the others have.
Georgiann Hennelly
Skye is still recovering from breaking up with her boyfriend and half the town has alienated her. She has sworn off men- but she hires Beau Hamilton a sexy contractor to renovate the old house she has just inherited.He's to good to be true. Sure enough he has a reputation for conning the ladies. But before Skye can fire him, he turns up dead. But even bad boys deserve justice, Skye has more to juggle than a cagey brother with a secret, a possibly haunted house and a passionate police chief, she,...more
Rebecca
Oh. My. God. Wally is SO hot! AH! I've always like Wally better than Simon and to have this be so teasing and hot at the same time.

Hahaha. Half the time I was just as frustrated as Skye when she didn't get into Wally's pants.

A very good conclusion to that stupid Sheriff storyline, and Loretta is making a permanent impression, sweet.

Vince, as adorable and hot as ever.

How can Skye breath with all that testosterone?

Loved it!
Debbie
Oct 21, 2008 Debbie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scumble Creek mystery fans
Recommended to Debbie by: friend at work
Shelves: mystery
Another murder in small town America, this time a no-good blackmailing contractor. It's just another day in Scumble Creek and Skye the high school counselor is on the case and up to the same old tricks. This is the second book I have read in this series and it seems like I have read it all before. I don't think I was entertained enough to pick up another book by this author again.
Julie P
I'm still moving along in the series, and while I do appreciate the character development, the mystery part of the story is getting buried by this very aspect. This does not mean that I do not like this book; I do like it, and I will continue to read the series. Swanson has done a lot to soften Skye's strident image since the first book, making her a much more sympathetic protagonist.
Angela Porter
I have to say this is my favorite by Denise! I literally could not put this one down. The whole time thinking one person did it. Then change who you think like two pages later. Feeling the fear the heroine was going through. Her sorrow of her missing cat. Yelling at the book saying "No don't go that way!" or "Watch out he is behind you!" I had my family thinking I had lost it.
Kelly
This is a charming mystery series featuring school counselor Skye Denison. Add together an assortment of colorful characters and the remote location of Scumble River and you have a picture perfect backdrop for murder. Why? Because looks, whether physical or geographic, can be extremely deceiving.
Shannon
I have issues with this one...I do not want Skye and Wally together. Wally moved in WAY too fast. Also, I am tired of hearing about Skye being "fat" I am sorry but more than a size 12???? FAT???? Seriously. Not too sure if I want to keep reading but I have 3 books to go so who knows.
Linda
This is the best Scumble River book in a while. I'm not sure if I just liked the new direction that Skye's personal life was taking or what. The murder aspect was only so-so and I did figure out who did it a few steps ahead of Skye but overall I really enjoyed this book.
Alice
not interesting enough to continue with the series. Especially since this is beginning one for local library. Writing okay but pull between two lovers and interfering parents doesn't appeal.

Nancy Anderson
Vince & Loretta r an item. Mae & Bunny lock trick Skye & Simon into a final talk. S & Wally
begin to date. Dulce & crew finish the house
Renovations.
Renée Mee

Cute series but very , very light reading. Great for rainy days when you just want to curl up with brainless entertaining fun whodunit.
Michele
I love this series...it gets better and better without going too far! (hasn't jumped the shark yet!)
Kimberly
these are growing on me a little more, still not crazy about the lead character Skye, though
Dawn
I loved this whole series. Small town school physiologist solves murders. Very funny quick read
Jerry
Apr 18, 2012 Jerry added it
The first Scumble River mystery I read. I liked it well enough to read the others.
Sarah Pickrel
The earliest books in this series are certainly better, but still a "good read."
Jen
Ok book, although I felt like I was missing something.
JJ
Feeling a little Nancy Drew like. At least it was short.
Christa
I really enjoy the entire Scumble River series.
Vickie
Love the title and the book was pretty good too.
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Shot Through Velvet (Crime of Fashion, #7)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #2)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Decaffeinated Corpse (Coffeehouse Mystery #5)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Drop-Dead Blonde
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Photo Finished (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #2)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery #3)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery #6)
Denise Swanson lives in Illinois with her husband, classical composer David Stybr and their cool black cat Boomerang.
More about Denise Swanson...
Murder of a Small-Town Honey (A Scumble River Mystery, #1) Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2) Murder of a Sleeping Beauty (A Scumble River Mystery, #3) Murder of a Barbie and Ken (A Scumble River Mystery, #5) Murder Of A Snake In The Grass (A Scumble River Mystery, #4)