Start by marking “Murder Of A Snake In The Grass (A Scumble River Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Murder Of A Snake In The Grass (A Scumble River Mystery, #4)

Murder Of A Snake In The Grass (A Scumble River Mystery #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  775 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Skye Denison and the rest of Scumble River is celebrating it's bicentennial in style-with reenactments, a bingo tent, and a coal-tossing contest. Best of all, the guest of honor is the town founder's great-great-grandnephew, Gabriel Scumble. But his visit turns out to be short-lived when he is found dead. The murder weapon: a pickax.

Meanwhile, Skye's ex-fiancee is back i
Published April 1st 2003 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Murder Of A Snake In The Grass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Of A Snake In The Grass

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
381st out of 1,009 books — 1,163 voters
The Reptile Room by Lemony SnicketHoles by Louis SacharThe Tortoise and the Hare by Janet StevensCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersTurtle Wish by Murielle Cyr
Calling All Reptiles!
145th out of 167 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheri
Murder of a Snake in the Grass (Denise Swanson)
Book 4 in the Scumble River Mystery. This time a pair of teenagers stumble across a dead body. It appears to be Gabriel Scumble, a descendant of the founder of Scumble river.

Skye is finally getting used to being back in her hometown. She still seems to have some commitment issues and is not sure where her love life is going. Then her ex fiance, the man who left her in New Orleans, with no money and no where to go but home. This is not helping her r
Emily Crow
I am trying to be as fair as possible in my assessment, because the book isn't badly written and many readers would probably find it cute and enjoyable. After all, it's a cozy, and exacting realism isn't why people like to read this genre. So if you are a huge fan of cozies, my opinion might be completely off-base for you.

Now that I've been fair...this has to be one of the silliest plots I've ever suffered through. Not just wacky or improbable, but downright stupid. Fifty percent of the story wa
Georgiann Hennelly
Scumble River is celebrating its Bicentennial -with historical reenactments, bingo, a coal tossing tournament, and a crazy craft race. The guest of honor is none other than the town founders great great grand nephew, Gabriel Scumble. But when Skyes students Frannie and Justin find him dead with a pick ax protruding from his chest. And Skyes deceitful ex fiance, Luc St , Armant appears out of the blue throwing her love life into turmoil. Which is the real danger that Luc will chase away the men i ...more
Lindsey
I... can't.... stop....

On the plus side, I finally figured out what got Skye fired from her last job (seemed a little far-fetched, but what in this series doesn't).

On every other side, Skye feels so self-important that it's hard to read the book and not want to slap her in the face. I STILL don't think she's a very good school psychologist. And all the characters are one-dimensional.

And yet, I just bought the next book for my kindle.

If you want to read a good murder-mystery with a strong femal
Anastasia
Murder of a Snake in the Grass by Denise Swanson is the 4th book in A Scumble River mystery series. During bicentennial celebrations, a guest and ancestor was found murdered. Skye is also tied up with school delinquents and the return of her ex fiance.A complicated story with the murder almost taking a back seat to the other goings on.I have come to love this series and the town and enjoy finding out more of the characters and history. An enjoyable read and I am glad that Skyes romantic liasons ...more
Vicky
I will admit that this installment of Scumble River is the best so far. But really Skye needs to mature. Is it the authors' fantasy to be a plus size in demand woman? Come on! It tortures Skye to allow a kiss on the cheek and she is 31 years old! Not a true to reality type of woman. Catholic or not! But I will again say that this book as a whole is better written than the previous three...so far.

Is she serious?!?!???? Skye is years behind her age - very unprofessional.

Page 215 was a waste of sp
Adrienne Testa
Ms. Swanson has written a series that is light hearted, quirky and fun to read. the fourth in the series... another dead visitor found. Skye Denison having her hands full with her ex fiance, the police chief and the funeral director. He ex fiance out to scam her again, by wining and dining her for her signature on a deed. The blue blue snobby ex fiance fallen on hard times and owes money to the New Orleans mob. The police chief getting over the fact his wife divorced him and left town. While the ...more
Jenn
Maybe it's good that I've read these out of order? Or maybe I've read so many that Skye's finally REALLY annoying me? How old is she supposed to be? Late 20s? Because some of the things she says and does makes it seem like she's in her 50s, at the least. This book was written in 2003 and we finally get the first character getting a mobile phone. I'm sorry to spoil you when I say that Skye FINALLY gets one in a later book. I don't care how rural you are, get with the times!

The ex was smarmy and
Dina
The only thing that drives me crazy about this series is how wishy washy Skye seems to be about the men in her life. I want a mystery, not a romance. I will continue on with the series, but I want the focus to be on a mystery, not her boyfriends. Maybe I feel so strongly in this book because I couldn't stand her ex, Luc. Anyway, rant/review over. :)
Diana Gotsch
Nice cozy. Nothing deep but solid mystery with a few plot twists. The characters are fairly well developed and interesting. best one in this series that I've read so far which has me looking forward to the next ones in the series.
Barbara
Cant make up my mind whether i liked it or not. I will read another one in the series. The setting in this one is not well developed and the character seems a tad too immature. The townspeople are actually more fascinating.
Trish
Cute mystery and cozy for sure, but not a compelling read where I was anxious to get back to the book and read and find out "whodunit". Denise Swanson may be just a little to light and cozy for my taste.
Lesley
want more mystery and less romance otherwise to be expected if those cozy mysteries. will probably read more as they are fast.. my mom sent me this one. shs met the author in illinios!
Michele
I liked this book, and enjoy the series, but this one was probably my least favorite so far (figures, the library didn't have it so I had to buy it) but I will continue with the series.
Shannon
It is about time...this book FINALLY has explained a ton from the other books!!! I am going to keep reading because I think I just need to know what happens...
Rebecca
Oh man, is Luc annoying!!!

Lying loser that he is. Liked the end w/Simon and Skye, even though he's a little stiff.

Overall, interesting read.
Jen
I liked this one. Interesting story and explained a lot about Skye and her relationship to money and men.
Maurean
Nov 21, 2008 Maurean rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maurean by: bookring
This was a fun read. I haven't read a good, cozy mystery in awhile, so this was a good change of pace
Pat Trezza
This is a new author for me and I enjoyed this book very much, I will be reading the rest of the series.
Amy
These Scumble River mysteries are light reading, but always entertaining.
Sue
Jul 02, 2008 Sue rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Very boring, could only get about halve read.
Kelly
Loved it. I'll review later.
Holly
Jerry
Apr 18, 2012 Jerry added it
Good.
Anne Dilworth
Anne Dilworth marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Mary Mccusker
Mary Mccusker marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Drop-Dead Blonde
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (A Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
Denise Swanson lives in Illinois with her husband, classical composer David Stybr and their cool black cat Boomerang.
More about Denise Swanson...

A Scumble River Mystery (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Murder of a Small-Town Honey (A Scumble River Mystery, #1)
  • Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2)
  • ...And the Dying is Easy
  • Not a Monster of a Chance (A Scumble River Mystery, #2.5)
  • Murder of a Sleeping Beauty (A Scumble River Mystery, #3)
  • Murder of a Barbie and Ken (A Scumble River Mystery, #5)
  • Murder of a Pink Elephant (A Scumble River Mystery, #6)
  • Drop-Dead Blonde
  • Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery, #7)
  • Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery, #8)
Murder of a Small-Town Honey (A Scumble River Mystery, #1) Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2) Murder of a Sleeping Beauty (A Scumble River Mystery, #3) Murder of a Barbie and Ken (A Scumble River Mystery, #5) Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery, #7)