Start by marking “Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics, Volume 2

Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics, Volume 2 (Courtney Crumrin #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,753 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Courtney Crumrin is back in a new adventure that pits her against the town's most powerful warlocks and witches, the Coven of Mystics! When the night things of Courtney's community start causing trouble, it's up to the girl to find out why. The coven blames the hobgoblin initially but quickly turns its ire to Skarrow, a night thing in service to the town's most reclusive w ...more
Hardcover
Published September 10th 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics, Volume 2

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This second volume in the Courtney Crumrin series is superior to its predecessor. It's atmospheric and creepy, and a bit sad underneath it all. Courtney is not remotely a sweet little girl. She's cranky and isolated from her peers. She has a devious nature. However, she's also decent and kind when she wants to be. She's so well drawn, her personality coming through loud and clear.

At first, I didn't like that the whole book is drawn/inked in black and white. I prefer color, but it suits the story
Daniel
Sep 04, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Prica postaje nekako dublja, likovi su prikazani vise ljudski (citaj pokvareni) i naravno saznajemo jos vise stvari o ovom magicnom svetu.

Jedino sto mi jos uvek nekako smeta je kako klinka postaje tako mocna i pametno nekako nerealno brzo.

Plus ujak A je pravi bad-ass.
Seth T.
Sep 04, 2007 Seth T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who really wanted the first book to be good but was obviously disappointed...
Shelves: comics
Everything that the first book lacked, its sequel, Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics provides in spades. Honestly, I had pretty small expectations after reading the first book, so one might attribute my enthusiasm here to the fact that even a mediocre book could possibly excite me. Still, I don't think that is the case here.

The Coven of Mystics was a joy to read. I smiled and laughed and, well... felt all the way through. This solves the greatest difficulty of the first book by weaving i
Chris
Disclaimer: I received an ARC via Netgalley.
School is difficult at the best of times. For Courtney Crumrin, it’s even worse. Her teacher has got her number in more ways than one. And then, there’s something lurking in the forest, and it’s not just Butterworm and his brother Butterbug. It’s got bigger teeth.
Courtney Crumrin is at once both a girl’s answer to Harry Potter and Anakin Skywalker. The problem with Harry Potter is that even when he acted like a spoiled brat, you knew he was going to
Rose
I certainly loved "Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics", the second installation in the Courtney Crumrin series. In this volume, Courtney's still adjusting to school life as well as studying under the wing of her uncle, but several strange occurances in the forest near her home prompt Courtney to investigate, and find another realm on her own, as well as an interesting companion. Yet things take a dark turn that involve Courtney's uncle, and it isn't without its share of heartache.

As per u
Tays
Feb 02, 2015 Tays rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well this was a bit more alleviating than the first volume. This volume seems to have what the first one was missing. A good footing on it's plot. I liked the storytelling more with this one and the characters have had enough growth and development just after a few issues. To Ted Naifeh's brilliance, he put all that into good use with the premise that he served in this one. It's wildly entertaining. Next volume it is then.
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
In which Courtney learns that the darkness which they might fight comes not from the Night Things so much as from humanity, and that while Uncle A is the badassesiest of all badasses, he is, alas, not indomitable against said darkness.

Courtney grows a bit - perhaps a bit more cynical, if that's possible, but also a bit wiser - and there's a fair bit of pathos involved.

And it's nice, though a bit sad, to see Aloysius' more fragile side.

The parents are mostly absent in this installment, which is a
Maija
A whole lot darker than Volume 1, Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics brings the series to a whole new level. The first book suffered a little from being a collection of short stories, when this second one is a lot stronger as a continuing story.

In this graphic novel, Courtney gets to know the magical community of Hillsborough, and she is not impressed. While the adults engage in their power struggles, the lives of innocents are at risk. This books deals with the fact that even adults are
Cale
Aug 18, 2015 Cale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's rare that I can read a novel or graphic novel and think throughout it 'my daughter would enjoy this book almost as much as I do,' But that was top of mind for this volume of Courtney Crumrin's adventures. The color work done to the original stories is beautiful, doing wonders with a very understated range of color. But it's the story that is fabulous, with Crumrin facing a variety of troubles, both mundane (a new teacher who sees through her tricks) and magical (including a wonderful episod ...more
Scott
May 19, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Courtney and her warlock Uncle seem to be having some issues with the Coven of Mystics which leads to some great adventures for Courtney. Probably the best graphic novel I've read this year and would definitely get a 5 star rating EXCEPT (and this is going to sound petty) he needs to learn how to draw hands...every single panel that has a hand in it is diminished because the first thing my attention is drawn to is are the messed up hands that everyone has...fingers do not come to a point! Finger ...more
Tiamatty
Sep 14, 2014 Tiamatty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, indie-comics
The second volume of Courtney Crumrin might be even better than the first. The series remains a fantastic dark kids' story. The first story features a genuinely scary, menacing monster, and the story is frightening. The second story is less creepy, and is full of cats, including Courtney herself being transformed into a cat. It's adorable. So adorable. The rest of the volume deals with Mystic politics, and it's great stuff. It's interesting, and it's fun, and it's poignant. The art is still a gr ...more
Susannah
Jan 13, 2015 Susannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this macabre wee series, where no happy endings are guaranteed, and people (and other beings) actually die. Some new characters come into it, including a teacher Courtney does not like. There is also the awesome chapter with the secret cat council - my favourite part! Plus there is the mystery of the who is behind the mysterious attacks. My criticisms are the motives for who is behind it all are not revealed until just before they themselves are, so there is no real way to work it ...more
Due to my poor interpretation of my local library's records, I accidentally wound up with this volume instead of the first in the series, and didn't realize my mistake until I was midway through the story. Thankfully, Coven of Mystics is completely accessible as an entry point into Courtney's world, and though Naifeh doesn't offer any start-of-book recaps as introductory material, within a few pages Courtney tells you all you need to know: she's a bite-sized curmudgeon who dabbles in magic. Hone ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Lots and lots of action in this volume with many story arcs and mini plots within the overall main plot of the series. It's been a year now and Courtney is quite the witch under her warlock Uncle Aloysius's tutelage. Courtney meets another grown witch, is invited to a cat meeting, confronts the most horrible hobgoblin then learns of a political plot within the warlock and witches' Coven. Courtney befriends a night thing whose life is in danger, Uncle Aloysius thinks he can handle things but it's ...more
Karissa
Mar 18, 2012 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Courney Crumrin series. I absolutely love this series. In this book Courtney has to face a darker foe than ever before and it was a fun and exciting read.

Courtney Crumrin is settling in to both her new house and new school. She is learning how to deal with the Night Things better, but when a new and more horrible Night Thing threatens their community the local Coven of Mystics blame it on a Night Thing named Skarrow. Both Courtney and her uncles suspect that Skarr
Rachel
Courtney's daily life continues to be full of rotten experiences, she feels estranged from most everyone, and feels little is to be learned from that world. She feels her time is better spent learning about the magical one. A good deal of time is also spent following the activities of her uncle Aloysius, providing us with a better view of this world, as well as the politics behind the witches council. It is the politics that drives the conflict which Courtney faces, as she tries to save one of t ...more
Stephanie Griffin
Aug 18, 2012 Stephanie Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courtney Crumrin: The Coven of Mystics, Special Edition Hardcover (Courtney Crumrin #2), by Ted Naifeh and Warren Wucinich (Illustrator), is a nice continuation of the children’s series. Young Courtney has magical powers but only uses them when she deems it absolutely necessary, like when she doesn’t want to do her school homework and puts a spell on a classmate to turn in assignments under Courtney’s name!

If you liked the first book, Courtney Crumrin and The Night Things (and who didn’t?!) this
Jeremy
Jan 12, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need the next volume!

With the story established, Naifeh starts to play around with Courtney and her place in this wild fae world. Two things came to mind as I was reading this. Sword in the Stone, where Merlin tests Arthur by turning him into various animals, and The Graveyard Book, where various parental figures take turns teaching a child the ways of a new and strange world.

The art just seems to keep getting better and better as well.

I love this series so much.
Diana
Excellent! Love the story and artwork. Will continue reading this series.

I love how Courtney is not always a happy person and that she develops as a character as the story progresses. This sequel delves more into the world and it is somewhat more creepy as a result.

This is not just another story about monsters and magic - it's got its on unique spin and character to the genre. One that I find is very enjoyable to just sit back and read,
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Background: Courtney Crumrin Volume Two the Coven of Mystics, Special Edition follows Courtney though more of the strange life of her anti-social uncle A. Trouble arises and uncle A is always called upon by the coven to go the dirty work, but when something criminal happens they do not listen to anything he has to say. It is up to Courtney and her band of underworld friends to make it all right.

Review: I love this series, the first issue was intriguing but lacked character development, this one
Bookstorequeer
Even better than the first volume. There are so many neat creatures that Naifeh is working with that this world is rich and wonderful. I love Courtney's snark and the angularlity of the art makes for some very interesting creatures.

I'd definitely recommend this one. Find this one, flip through a few pages, be terribly intrigued. Go back and read the first one and then be happy to read this one, too! I can't wait to read the third.
Caity
Apr 27, 2015 Caity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually did not read the first Courtney Crumrin but i think this book works well as a stand alone book. Each chapter works well as both a short story and as part of the larger narrative which makes it a good book for reading a chapter a night. This and the graphic novel format make it a great book for reluctant readers. I would highly recommend this book for tween readers though there is a little bit of bad language.
Garrett
Oct 30, 2014 Garrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If anything, the more this develops, the more interesting it gets. Courtney is a character who embodies a number of flaws, but they tend to be flaws with which many will be able to identify. The art is essentially unchanged from the first volume, but the storyline, and the storytelling, have gotten deeper and more detailed, and are improved because of it.

More fun, too.
Jessica at Book Sake
ARC reviewed by Chris for Book Sake.

The first volume of Crumrin was more a collection of short stories about Courtney. The second installment was a single story. The book does a really swell job of keeping things shrouded in mystery, but still building the lore of the magical world Courtney lives in.

Courtney herself is a bit of a hard read. Harsh exterior with a kind heart? Possibly. She walks the fine line between lovable rapscallion and obnoxious brat, with only slight and brief stumbles. Thos
Hannah Givens
Several shorter stories. The first is scary, but Uncle Aloysius is awesome. Then the obligatory cat story, but done well. Then a changeling story/murder mystery. All excellent, and each takes the ongoing story in a new direction, but they mostly return to the status quo and don't tamper with the things I love about the series.
Sophia
The main character is a total brat and I find it very hard to feel anything towards her outside of. "Wow, are you a bit self-righteous?" Though all the stories are intersting as well as the character designs and the plot is engaging so I really enjoyed it. Also Warriors cats put in a fey setting. (And I laugh so hard.)
Erika
Feb 12, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disillusionment is a terrible thing to happen, especially to someone so young. Believing in others can be the scariest and at times the most foolish thing you could possibly do. What do you do when they fail? That is what marks your character and begins your true inner struggle as a human.
Orrin Grey
Apr 09, 2009 Orrin Grey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, favorites
This second volume is where the Courtney Crumrin series really goes from being good to being great, as far as I'm concerned. Everything from the pacing to the artwork to the storytelling all really comes together perfectly. This volume is full of great touches and great moments, and it really underscores all the best parts of the series so far. There are several moments in Courtney Crumrin & the Coven of Mystics that rank among my favorite moments in all my years of reading comics (or anythi ...more
Erik
Oct 07, 2008 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second outing of the young Courtney Crumrin – our plucky young heroine who is a chip off her ole great-grand-uncle’s block – sets several sub-plots in motion that appeared benignly in the first collection. With many a mystical guide – in the shape of Uncle Alyosius’s cat, as well as one of her teachers at school – Courtney starts getting in over her head, and – much to her uncle’s chagrin – into the deepest of magical danger.

Although a delightfully-told modern gothic fantasy with smart ani
Meghan Wilson
Jun 22, 2014 Meghan Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I think I liked this even better than the first one. Underneath the stylish gothness it deals with real issues and although the protagonist doesnt always do the right thing and nothing is tied up in a neat bow, important lessons are learned, appropriate consequences are experienced and observed.
  • GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1)
  • Kind (The Good Neighbors, #3)
  • Blue Monday Volume 2: Absolute Beginners
  • Death, Jr.
  • Lenore:  Cooties
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 4 (Flight, #4)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
Ted Naifeh is an American comic book writer and artist who gained notoriety for his illustrations in the goth romance comic Gloomcookie. Naifeh has since become most known as the creator of the Eisner-Award-nominated series Courtney Crumrin, published by Oni Press.
More about Ted Naifeh...

Courtney Crumrin (7 books)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin, #1)
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • Courtney Crumrin: The Witch Next Door (Courtney Crumrin #5)
  • Courtney Crumrin: The Final Spell (Courtney Crumrin, #6)
  • Courtney Crumrin: Tales of a Warlock (Courtney Crumrin, #7)