Start by marking “Strange Angels” as Want to Read:
Strange Angels

Strange Angels

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Grant, an ambitious photographer, is possessed by a young mental patient's strange drawings and becomes the disturbed young artist's confidant and guardian in a relationship that pushes Grant's own sanity to the edge. Reprint. LJ.
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published February 2nd 1995 by Dell (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Angels

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
493rd out of 1,174 books — 3,691 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareyMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyAsh by Malinda LoStalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling
LGBT sci-fi and fantasy
446th out of 573 books — 560 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel Kendall
Kathe Koja does good crazy. She does crazy good. As with the other book I've read - Bad Brains - she has written about genius and insanity and creativity. The way she writes takes some getting used to. When I first started Bad Brains, I stopped after the first few pages because of her relentless stream-of-consciousness purple-tinted fast stop-start style. But after a few days I decided I wasn't ready to give up on her so I started over. It's a little like getting used to the Scottish lingo in Tr ...more
Randolph Carter
Madness and Obsession First this is definitely not a horror novel. If you want to call it dark fiction, fine; not a horror novel. What it is is a novel about obsession and madness, specifically schizophrenia. It is not a very good book. Why? Well you can tell Koja is a good writer, or has the potential to be a good writer; I haven't read anything else by her. The problem is that Koja falls in love with her own stream of consciousness narrative style and her prose. You can tell she is so proud of ...more
Juushika
Through his art therapist girlfriend, Grant meets Robin--a young schizophrenic whose exquisite art sparks an obsession. Strange Angels is written in Koja's distinctive abrupt and visceral style, but fails to exhibit or suit that style as well as some of her other work. There's something not quite strange enough about it: tropes linking madness and art are extremely problematic, but Koja comes just short of idealization; schizophrenia influences Robin's art but doesn't always aid or elevate it. I ...more
S.A.
Wow, how did I not rate this amazing book? Creepy, disturbing and glorious. I still can't wrap my mind around KK writing YA. Or, wait, hold on... hmmm.
Nick
Strange, indeed. Koja's writing style is absorbing and heady, taking you to places you never thought existed.
Cora
Alyssa
I couldn't even finish this book. It's well-written enough but the stupidity and selfishness of the main character (Grant) got me so frustrated and angry that I just couldn't get through it. Who in the hell would ever think that taking in a schizophrenic you don't even know and isolating him from everything and anything therapeutic would not end in tragedy?! I know it's fiction, but come on! Absurd.
Chad Perrin
With prose that affects the reader like poetry, a story that is never predictable, and characters mesmerizing in their strangeness, reading this book was a thoroughly absorbing, mind altering experience. Kathe Koja's ability to turn a phrase, a passage, and a tale is unnervingly masterful, and this novel in particular never failed to keep me from settling into comfortable routine.
Travis Ammons
this book was a major influence on me in my mid to late 20s. I've never found a copy either. i should just order it and reread it. I have "Kink" by Koja as well; it's good but it doesn't even come close to comparison to 'Angels.' Different ballpark, fuck. Different sport.
Mary
The new cover makes this look like a horror novel, but really, I'd call it psychological drama. Too much for me to say about it, so to make it simple, just google it. Ranks among my all-time favorite books.
Amy
Probably my least favorite Koja book, of the ones I've read (5), and she's a writer I admire deeply. Always interesting, but this book is a bit of a mess.
I just found a list of books I read as a teen. I have to admit I don't remember this one, but I rated it very highly at the time.
Michelle
Not this time, although I remember liking it the first time. The borderline stream-of-consciousness writing wasn't for me.
Sandy
Another book I read years ago and still remember it well. Interesting book.
Karen
Really? This woman has more than one book published?
Mikal
This is one I read every couple of years
Keith
a tough novel to read - but quite good.
Lee Schuen
Liked this better than skin.
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
gabriela
gabriela marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
John Miller
John Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Alyce
Alyce marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Daniel Hale
Daniel Hale marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Mlle Ghoul
Mlle Ghoul marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Elise Lueck
Elise Lueck marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • Low Red Moon
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Secret Story
  • The Language of Fear
  • The Secret Books of Paradys I & II (Secret Books of Paradys, #1-2)
  • Devils & Demons: A Treasury of Fiendish Tales Old & New
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
Kathe Koja (born 1960) is an American writer. She was initially known for her intense speculative fiction for adults, but over the past few years has turned to writing young adult novels.

Koja is also a prolific author of short stories, including many in collaboration with Barry N. Malzberg. Most of her short fiction remains uncollected. Koja's novels and short stories frequently concern characters
More about Kathe Koja...