Start by marking “Inside the Haveli” as Want to Read:
Inside the Haveli

Inside the Haveli

This Indian novel takes the reader behind the scenes of an ongoing, deeply rooted tradition and into a way of life that for outsiders has long been veiled with mystery.
Published January 1st 1995 by Quartet Books (UK) (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Haveli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Haveli

Priya
Apr 08, 2013 Priya rated it it was amazing
This exotic little book gives you a lot to think about - the lives of the women of the Haveli, their customs, their willing discrimination towards themselves and others and the strong rejection of the changing ideas of the outside world. The language is very Indian, with many colloquializations (this word check tells me that's not a word; isn't it?) and a few words out of the regional language to add flavour. That being said, the style is fluid and the descriptions are vivid and apt. Also, it co ...more
Shubhi
Jun 11, 2012 Shubhi rated it liked it
The author had so much potential to make this book an interesting one but failed. Although its quite an insightful into the lives of women of Rajasthan but it failed to catch my attention. Took me awhile to finish it and it didn't have an ending as such. Readers can read it if they are curious about the ways of living of traditional women but don't expect something great.
Anukriti
Dec 10, 2016 Anukriti rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book taking you inside the haveli both metaphorically and literally . It is a story about the clash between a traditional household and a modern woman; a new emerging society after the abolition of Privy Purse; of women, still maintaining some semblance at the epoch of the formation of new customs.

The biography of the author and the parallels between her life and Geeta's (protagonist) life makes the book more interesting.
Dinesh
Nov 03, 2016 Dinesh rated it liked it
good
penelopewanders
Oct 17, 2014 penelopewanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I think I found this on the swap shelf of our school, but I'm not entirely sure. This is a very well-written recounting of life in the haveli - women in purdah, in India. Unfortunately I'm not sure my copy is not missing some pages - I always feel suspicious when the book ends at the bottom of the last page without any extra pages between it and the cover.This happened once before with a different book and someone kindly photocopied and sent me the pages. That book was far more popular than this ...more
Riya Ghosh
One of the worst book ever written in women's writing in India.
Misguided feminism.
Deeply right wing. Conservative.

She takes slavery and caste hegemony to a whole new level.
I started reading the book in Jan'13 and stopped mid-way (I wish I left it at that) completed it and utterly disgusted.
Sankari Ni Bhriain
Apr 19, 2012 Sankari Ni Bhriain rated it really liked it
really enjoyed the more subtle approach to exploring life in India. Sometimes such books can be very tragic and dramatic nearly all the way through, but this one paced itself delicately and I let it's humans be simply human. Lovely read.
Heather
Feb 21, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great book .. very interesting about 'an independant young woman's struggle to hold onto her identity in a traditional world.'.
Maharudra Koli
Maharudra Koli rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Jyotsana Kashyap
Jyotsana Kashyap rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Sumera
Sumera rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Lanisha
Lanisha rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2009
Rohit
Rohit rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Vinaya
Vinaya rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Aleta
Aleta rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2010
Akhila Nair
Akhila Nair rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Yogesh Ade
Yogesh Ade rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Shreya Zaveri
Shreya Zaveri rated it liked it
May 30, 2014
Kari Atsung
Kari Atsung rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Manjul Kumari
Manjul Kumari rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Vivek Kulkarni
Vivek Kulkarni rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
Anshuli Dey
Anshuli Dey rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2016
Helen  E Burns
Helen E Burns rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Shikha
Shikha rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2008
Surbhi
Surbhi rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Madhubanti Bhattacharyya
Madhubanti Bhattacharyya rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Any notes for students those intrested in this inside the haveli 1 1 Oct 24, 2013 02:54AM
  • Broken Ties
  • Lonely Planet on a Shoestring: Africa
  • Nepal
  • Thailand (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • We Weren't Lovers Like That
  • India (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • The Fall of a Sparrow
  • প্রথম আলো ১
  • A Fine Family
  • India Song
  • Scenes from a Writer's Life
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Techniques for Retraining Your Brain (The Great Courses, #9631)
  • Beastly Tales from Here and There
  • Lettres à un ami allemand
  • The Gypsy Goddess
  • Wrath of the Khans (Hardcore History #43 - #47)
  • I Met Lucky People: The Story of the Romani Gypsies