Start by marking “The Edge” as Want to Read:
The Edge

The Edge

¿We¿ve got to go. Now.¿ It¿s early morning and Danny¿s mother is at his bedside, urging him to get up. They¿re on the run ¿ from Chris, his mother¿s boyfriend, a violent man who beats them both up, and won¿t let them go.
Chris pursues Danny and his mother from London to the north, where they take refuge with Danny¿s grandparents. But even there, nothing is safe. Danny is c
Published July 1st 2002 by Orion Children's (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell
Description:
Danny is a boy on the edge. A boy teetering on the brink of no return, living in fear.
Cathy is his mother. She’s been broken by fear.
Chris Kane is fear- and they belong to him
But one day they escape. They’re looking for freedom, for a promised land where they can start really living. Instead they find prejudice, and danger of another kind.
^^
Blurb of the book

Characters:
Danny: He feels powerless and he is always scared of what Chris could do, and when he gets given the chance to escape
Aansh Raiyani
Sep 08, 2015 Aansh Raiyani rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-right
Danny is a boy who has lived his whole life in fear, he is always teetering on the brink of no return. Cathy, his mother, has been mangled and broken by fear. Chris Kane is fear, and they belong to him. It all began one night when the two decide to break free from their fear to a promise land, a new life. Instead of freedom they find both prejudice and a danger of a different kind. Danny is a traumatised, ‘insecure' and an `abused' teenager; Cathy is low in self-esteem, damaged but independent a ...more
David Yim
Jan 10, 2015 David Yim rated it really liked it
This is a Young-adult fiction book written by Alan Gibbons. This is a book that talks a lot about racism. The setting of this book is London. This book is about a boy named Danny, and his mother, Cathy, living on the edge (Where Cathy used to live when she was a child), in fear, because of a man named Chris Kane, who thinks that he is Danny's father and think that Cathy and Danny belonged to him. One day, Cathy and Danny escaped from Chris Kane with his money to Danny's grandparents home, Cork T ...more
Julia Langnes
Feb 04, 2016 Julia Langnes rated it really liked it
I have to say, this book really surprised me. Lately I've been trying to get through these shorts novels that have just been accumulating over the years, between my more lengthy reads, and I have not been very happy. There have been several now that have just been bad, but no not this one. I mean you look at the cover, read the first page and just think ugh, a YA novel author thats trying to make a breakout. I expected cheesy writing and a half assed plot, but boy this one shocked me. It really ...more
Nicholas
Aug 26, 2011 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, reviewed
Like several of Gibbons' other books, The Edge is officially billed as a children's book, but deals with themes that are equally relevant and interesting to adults. Also like some of his other work, it is a story with an agenda to communicate, and that can often be detrimental to the story itself as the author tries to ram his of her point home. Such is not the case with this book, however, as Gibbons offers an excellent and very believable plot with few 'Deus Ex Machina' moments and lots of eve ...more
Charlotte
Dec 18, 2014 Charlotte rated it did not like it
I really, really, really did not like this book at all.
I thought the plot was very boring and tedious and I found the story dragged on impossibly long. I didn't find myself caring very much about the characters either - I mean, the only one I actually did like was the racist grandfather who redeemed himself by not being racist. Other than that, I really didn't like the characters at all: Danny was big-headed, Cathy was naive, Joan and Des were silly, pointless side characters and Chris wasn't i
Sarah Goodwin
May 23, 2013 Sarah Goodwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when it came out, and I was a teenager at the time. I recently found a copy of it on a 'take a book, leave a book' shelf and couldn't resist reading it again.

It's a good story, very readable, and the multiple perspectives are great. Definitely deserves its award and should be at the top of every young adults list.

The writing is stippled with cliches and dialogue that made me wince at how unbelievable it was, but, as it's a book aimed at a younger audience, I'm inclined not to m
Kazuya Kai-olowu
Sep 20, 2013 Kazuya Kai-olowu rated it really liked it
Synopsis: It's about a boy and his mom trying to escape from 'The Monster' who is Chris Kane and go through many things to get to the promise land.

Evaluation/Recommendation: I enjoyed this book because I got connected to Danny, the main character, who goes through struggles to get away from the monster and stand up for him self. I recommend this book to everyone above the age of 11 because if you any younger, you will not understand the problems in the book.

Memorable Quote: "At least this doesn'
Ana
Dec 02, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it
The plot I found very gripping even though at first I felt extremely uncomfortable reading this subject. The writing style was not an issue although it was very original it was sort of like you were inside the person's head but it was told in third person which was a bit odd. I also loved how every character had their own font style. although the reason I couldn't quite give this book the full five stars was that the characters weren't very well developed although better than I have read before.
Laura Simpson
Jun 21, 2015 Laura Simpson rated it really liked it
Written really well, at first I wasn't sure about this one, but it's gripping and intriguing and it was great to read from so many of the different characters to understand their mind sets. It tackles two very difficult topics, domestic abuse and racism and I think it was interesting to see both sides of them and to see some of the characters develop over the story. Particularly the grandad.
Kristina  UK
This was a fabulously written book, and a great attempt to get into the minds of those involved in domestic abuse, both perpetrator and victim. Disturbing thought patterns bring a chill to you as you read the obsessive comments of Chris Kane as he hunts down and pursues Cathy Mangam across the country.
Yelim
Apr 01, 2011 Yelim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is about a boy (Danny) being born to a 16 year old girl Cathy. Chris is Cathy's husband and does not accept Danny as their child so they have a big runaway type chase. The book is filled with mysterious stories and is perfect for the ones who enjoy suspense and mystery.
ThatGirlB
Feb 21, 2013 ThatGirlB rated it it was amazing
Till today I still wish we had finished reading this book in school. it was such an amazingly captivating book and very well written too. it's definitely one of the books I'll read again this time from start to finish.
Sally
Sep 14, 2012 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book...! Really had me on edge throughout the whole book, and towards the end i was trying to shout at the characters THROUGH THE BOOK what was happening that they didn't know about! As you can probably tell, I found this book rather gripping... :)
Sally
Jun 01, 2008 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: charity-buys
I dont really read books like this.
It was fasted paced. A very easy novel about running from a boyfriend who is nasty to your mum and setting up a life in a place that you grew up in.
It was sentimental and makes you think a lot.
Fern
Aug 02, 2012 Fern rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me, I thought it would be a feeble childrens' book, but it centered around violence and racism. Told from a teenagers point of view, it lends an emotional and innocent view on what it is like to deal with such isues growing up in a difficult environment.
Abi
Jun 06, 2015 Abi rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
*2.5*
Marita
Jan 05, 2015 Marita rated it really liked it
A solid and pacy ya thriller about family violence and the search for a place to belong. The sense of fear and responsibility for his mother is strong in the main character, a teen boy.
Naveen
Jul 02, 2008 Naveen rated it liked it
This is a really good book with lots of suspense and contains mainly family violence.Danny and his mum run away from his mother's boyfriend who violates the whole family.
Hannah
Nov 17, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
loved it !!!!!!!Scared to Death
Aaron
Dec 05, 2013 Aaron added it
It hits all the emotions. Fantastic book
Khairah Boukhatem
Feb 04, 2015 Khairah Boukhatem rated it it was amazing
An amazing depiction of racism, abuse, family and home! Thanks to my English teacher making us read it, good job I read ahead to
Sim
Feb 27, 2013 Sim marked it as to-read
this book is very good
Tee
Jan 08, 2010 Tee rated it it was ok
Harrys a Prick.
ruby-mae
Feb 23, 2013 ruby-mae rated it did not like it
ugh gone off loads of books idk
HACKED
Nov 06, 2012 HACKED rated it liked it
Read this in school for English, it was very suspenseful and I quite enjoyed the end. All in all, better than many of the other books I've read in English.
Raghad Hamed
Raghad Hamed rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it did not like it
Oct 24, 2014
Thamanna
Thamanna rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
  • Finding A Voice: Friendship is a Two-Way Street
  • The Fire-Eaters
  • Jake's Tower
  • At the Firefly Gate
  • Stone Cold
  • The Amazing Life of Birds: The Twenty-Day Puberty Journal of Duane Homer Leech
  • Being Magdalene (I Am Not Esther, #3)
  • Up on Cloud Nine
  • Zombie Dawn (Changeling, #5)
  • If I Could Fly
  • Coram Boy
  • A Gypsy Song (The Eye of the Crystal Ball - The Wolfboy Chronicles)
  • Lord of the Nutcracker Men
  • I Loved You First
  • The Autumn Palace (Ondine #2)
  • Truth or Dare
  • Not the End of the World
  • The Boy in the Burning House
Alan Gibbons is an author of children's books and a Blue Peter Book Award. He currently lives in Liverpool, England, where he used to teach in a primary school. His father was a farm laborer, but was hurt in an accident when Alan was eight years old. The family had to move to Crewe, Cheshire where Alan experienced bullying for the first time. He began to write for his pupils as a teacher, but neve ...more
More about Alan Gibbons...

“Sometimes, when I was looking out for my own happiness, I almost forgot you existed.” 0 likes