Start by marking “Collected Stories, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Collected Stories, Vol. 1

Collected Stories, Vol. 1

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  25 reviews
RICHARD MATHESON: COLLECTED STORIES, VOLUME ONE is an expanded tradepaperback version of the 1989 Dream/Press hardcover limited edition. We will be publishing it in 3 volumes, the first in 2003 and one each year following.

RICHARD MATHESON: COLLECTED STORIES is the gathering together of 86 Richard Matheson short stories, beginning with Born of Man and Woman from 1950 and en
Published December 5th 2003 by Gauntlet Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Stories, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Stories, Vol. 1

So, where to start with Mr. Richard Matheson? Have to say something before I get to the actual book... in the late 70s, in my tween years, I was a devoted fan of THE TWILIGHT ZONE thanks to repeats on WPIX, Channel 11 out of New York City ("Odd Couple/Honeymooners/Twilight Zone"). I was also a kid that payed close attention, so I realized that, after Rod Serling and Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson was the man (remember the gremlin on the plane? Matheson. The little girl who falls out of bed i ...more
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I have not read all the stories in this collection (YET), so this review is for the stories listed below. I will update periodically as I get through the whole book. So far, all of them have been very high quality stories.

BORN OF MAN AND WOMAN (6.0 stars): Nothing like starting with your best foot forward. This is Matheson's first published work and still considered one of his best. At only five pages long, this story is a masterpiece of concise, elegant prose. This story was
Si te gusta la ciencia ficción, el terror y la paranoia, es una lectura imprescindible: cerca de 600 páginas con 42 relatos de puro disfrute, entre ellos algunos de los guiones de la serie "La Dimensión Desconocida".

A destacar los pequeños apuntes del propio Matheson en cada uno de los relatos, contándonos en qué se inspiró, de dónde surgió la idea, si le parece un relato flojo o bueno, o si en la versión guionizada para televisión le cambiaron el final.

Lectura obligatoria te guste la literatu
This first volume includes all the stories Matheson published from 1951-1953. Most are pulpy with a science fiction bent, but many have elements of horror, too. I liked that there was author commentary with each, mentioning where the story was originally published and whether or not it was adapted elsewhere. Some were adapted for Twilight Zone episodes, for example.

He also admitted when the stories were not so great or when he tacked on an ending he thought would make it sell better, which was
Laura Leilani
What a fun read. Here are a few highlights:

*What would you do if you came across a dead body...and it was you!
*If you are looking at the personal ads ( online dating of the past) and see someone looking for love but claiming they live on another planet, would you write to them?
*Should you worry if there are strange machines in the basement of your apartment?
*Ever date one of those super clingy people? What if they were telepathic?!
*How much should you worry if your sons ambition is to grow up to
Obra "fons de biblioteca bàsic". Retorn a "La Dimensió desconeguda". Tot i que els relats més quotidians, per mi són els més inquietants. Un quants contes sobre els escriptors, el procés creatiu i les seves pors haurien de ser lectura obligatòria a les aules d'escriptura. Imprescindible.
3.5 stars:
A guy I recently worked with recommended several books, and the first author I picked up was Richard Matheson. Never heard of him? Me neither, but he wrote the scripts for many episodes of the original Twilight Zone series. If you enjoyed that show, you'll enjoy Richard Matheson. I know I did.

Several of the stories from this volume were transformed into the screenplays for the series, and you can totally see it. Admittedly, the TZ series was all just a setup for a big "Gotcha!" at the
Jacint Casademont
Buena recopilación de los primeros relatos del autor. Aunque la calidad es siempre alta algunos cuentos son realmente brillantes y otros te dejan, simplemente, indiferente. Al final de cada título aparece una pequeña explicación del autor, contando detalles de su creación o adaptación audiovisual.
Will this book ever end? I keep reading and reading, and his stories just keep coming...they're good...some very good. But they won't stop....please make them stop...(Please note that I was reading this from my iPhone & it didn't show the page numbers..I had no way of seeing how much more I had to go.)

These stories are great. They always felt sleek & fit..not padded with excess stuffing, so to speak. Guess thats why he's such a good short story writer. I love reading S.King...but as any
Nacido de hombre y mujer y otros relatos espeluznantes es un compendio de cuarenta y dos relatos de terror, misterio y paranoia, escritos para impactar a lectores de diversa índole. Tras la lectura íntegra, pensamos que su presentación en orden cronológico de sus relatos es más que acertada, pues resulta un dato muy curioso para ser partícipes del desarrollo de la carrera del autor, al que es inevitable cogerle cierto cariño.

I can only review one story from this collection - Disappearing Act.

If you are in a Twilight Zone kind of mood...this'll do. You know, makes you chuckle and then kinda creeps you out. Nice.
Philip Fracassi
His earlier and therefore weaker stories, some silly, some not so good. But interesting concepts that are just waiting for the writer to blossom behind them...ergo Vol 2 and Vol 3!
Contains 3 classics: "Man and Woman," "Through Channels" (which I read the first time in sixth grade) and "Disappearing Act." The rest uneven--and he's pretty schlocky and pulpy, using too many adjectives. A lot of Twilight Zones--and unnecessary tributes from other writers. His own comments/footnotes are pretty much disposable. Probably the lamest of the batch was the overlong and inconsistent "Mad House" (which didn't bear much of a resemblance to its TV counterpart). Oh yeah, and "Shipshape H ...more
Sarah Pierce
The man is a genius. I love the very human aspects of his sci-fi stories, and I especially love that he wrote little postscripts to all of the stories, detailing what he was thinking about at the time, how he felt about certain stages of life (marriage is a big one). He basically psychoanalyzes his own stories, and he’s quick to point out when an ending is tacked on, or when a story isn’t his strongest. Brilliant.
wow. these were amazing stories. written in the early 50's and while there were dated references (buying lunch for 40 cents...) the stories never actually felt dated. one left me terrified in my own home in the middle of the day, one left me struggling not to cry - not sure from sadness or happiness, and all of them entertained me. very cool.
Nov 26, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: short story writers and sci-fi readers as well as Matheson fans
Recommended to Jessica by: the book "On Writing Horror"
If you know me, you know I don't favor alien-based or space-travel science fiction, which alot of these stories were. However, I read every single one of them because Matheson is my favorite and just a genius.

I read with an open eye for things I could incorporate into my own writing. If you're writing short horror stories, read him.
Oh real good yah.
Solid collection of short stories from a superb writer. Some of the references to "Martians" and "ray guns" seem a bit quaint over 50 years later, but that's okay. It was also refreshing to read science fiction that focused more on the fiction and less on the science.
Jul 19, 2011 Debra marked it as to-read
Stephen King tribute to Matheson included in collection of 3 books.

Author discussed in chapter 9 of Danse Macabre, published in 1981.
Casey West
I think Matheson was strongest as a short story writer, much like Bradbury. If you like his stuff, this has nearly everything worth reading. Mainly scary stuff, light, entertaining.
Matheson himself acknowledges that he had to tack on cheesy sci-fi endings to get any of these published. My only reason for deducting a star. Absolutely classic.
Can only give this the full five-star rating. Perfectly constructed short stories of sci-fi/horror with that human touch that puts Matheson above the rest.
Justin Wandel
The editing was absolutely terrible and disappointing but the stories themselves are worth reading over and over!
Muy irregular, relatos impresionantes junto con otros muy mediocres
Matheson is still delightful, but less so than I'd remembered.
Guillermo Schwegler
Guillermo Schwegler marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Jday marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
  • Cuentos, 1
  • Burn, Witch, Burn! (Burn Witch Burn #1)
  • The Complete Stories, Vol. 1: Final Reckonings
  • The Complete Short Stories
  • Zothique
  • The Book of All Flesh
  • Dangerous Visions 1
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • The Howling Man
  • The Mammoth Book of Monsters
  • The White People and Other Weird Stories
  • Book of the Dead 2: Still Dead
Born in Allendale, New Jersey to Norwegian immigrant parents, Matheson was raised in Brooklyn and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School in 1943. He then entered the military and spent World War II as an infantry soldier. In 1949 he earned his bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri and moved to California in 1951. He married in 1952 and has four children, three of w ...more
More about Richard Matheson...

“We've forgotten much. How to struggle, how to rise to dizzy heights and sink to unparalleled depths. We no longer aspire to anything. Even the finer shades of despair are lost to us. We've ceased to be runners. We plod from structure to conveyance to employment and back again. We live within the boundaries that science has determined for us. The measuring stick is short and sweet. The full gamut of life is a brief, shadowy continuum that runs from gray to more gray. The rainbow is bleached. We hardly know how to doubt anymore. (“The Thing”)” 68 likes
“Quiet is here and all in me. ("Dress of White Silk")” 16 likes