Start by marking “The Night of the Moonbow” as Want to Read:
The Night of the Moonbow

The Night of the Moonbow

In this spellbinding novel of idyllic childhoods torn apart by the blossoming terror of child pitted against child, Tryon spins a tale of the hidden horrors that lurk behind children's innocence, and an inevitable explosion of evil.
Published March 26th 1991 by Random House Value Publishing (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Night of the Moonbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night of the Moonbow

Horace Derwent
gripping on the bone

chilling to the marrow

i need to read Lord of the Flies again
Quirkyreader
Jun 18, 2016 Quirkyreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed Thomas Tryon's writing and this story does not disappoint.

Possible spoilers... there is a big "Lord of The Flies" element to this story. Also, it takes place on the eve of the United States entering into the Second World War. One of the main characters doesn't exactly fit with the other campers and his protagonist was part of the local Bund.

This book shows how one person's ideals can infect the minds of others.

Four more Tryon's to go and then I will have read all the wor
Belinda
Oct 11, 2016 Belinda rated it really liked it
Thomas Tryon has become one of my favorite fiction authors of all time. He's hard to classify--some of his work (Lady comes to mind) is obviously straight up fiction. Much of his other work is horror or has a horror undertone to it. This book falls somewhere in between. It's horrifying at times, but not in a traditional sense. This book gave me a complicated feeling--I loved it, but it was hard to "enjoy". There is a lot of tough stuff in this--bullying in the extreme, racism, disappointment, ...more
Myles
Aug 29, 2010 Myles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Night of the Moonbow seems to be a struggle between two parts of Tryon's talent. He had proven himself as adept in conjuring up a small community and conveying the mechanics of life within it and in quietly building up an atmosphere of unease.

In The Other, Harvest Home and Lady, Tryon focused on the sinister under-currents that can be present in such small communities that didn't necessarily always have a supernatural origin. The books progressed at different speeds but there was always an elem
Joemodz
Oct 18, 2016 Joemodz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story; not The Other, but great to read.
NK
Sep 21, 2016 NK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never went to a summer camp but this is extreme drama for an eight week period. Boys will be boys - but, if convinced, apparently boys can be monsters as well. Overall it was good and a departure from my usual reads.
Cjeffcoat
Nov 03, 2015 Cjeffcoat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
While this was a story that kept you interested in the fate of the main character, I would not call this horror. Even the review on the front cover, "A chilling nightmare...spine chilling terror..," is totally misleading. This is reminiscent of Lord of the Flies, suspenseful but not terrifying. My favorite Tryon is "Harvest Home" which is a bit more chilling than this one. But overall, he has an extremely elegant way of writing that you don't see often in today's popular writers. It's always ...more
Becca
Apr 20, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it
This story of a boy's Bible camp gone awry was slow-paced, but when those layers began to unfold, I had some difficulty sleeping. Set at the precipice of World War II and including a camp counselor who is also a member of the German American Bund, the story boils until explosion at the end. Boys will be boys, and boys will be cruel when they adore a cruel leader. However, left to their own devices, the boys were not completely heartless, making them feel true to life. All of the camp rituals and ...more
Jarod Silva
If you're looking for a book that scares the living shit out of you, this isn't one of them.
I chose to give it three stars due to the love of the characters. It was a very well written book. But it wasn't a horror novel. A story similar to King's "The Body", but more aimed towards a camp full of bullies. I was disappointed. The ending was good, I can say that. But all in all, I wouldn't recommend this to a horror enthusiast.
Joanne
Feb 14, 2016 Joanne rated it liked it
Actually, this book was reminiscent of 'Lord of the Flies'
I read it because it was a main selection of the Literary Guild
It was well written, well thought out, but I can't say I enjoyed it because it leaves me feeling the weight of cruelty in our world.
I doubt I will read any more books from this author
David Jeffers
Mar 04, 2015 David Jeffers rated it really liked it
Maybe the blurb is a little misleading. And maybe the story takes a little longer to get where I was hoping it would go. But did I like the characters? Yes, yes I did. And sometimes, most of the time, that's enough to carry a story that's a little too long, whose blurb oversold it.
Ann
Apr 04, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
I love this guy - he's got a real old-fashioned style and voice, which is great for setting a particular mood. There are things a person could criticize about it but I don't want to pick it apart and undermine what otherwise strikes me as a classic.
Ktbird
Sep 04, 2016 Ktbird rated it liked it
Not his creepiest book, and maybe it felt a little dated, but it was a good end of summer read.
Floyd
May 14, 2012 Floyd rated it really liked it
I like Thomas Tryon quite a bit. This book was engaging and extremely well written. The characters were well developed, believable and easy to empathize with.
Jaime Contreras
Oct 25, 2016 Jaime Contreras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, thriller
This book hit a chord for me because it takes place at a Bible summer camp where mischief turns to mayhem. A group of boys bully an outcast too far and then watch out. Mr. Tryon knows how to build suspense out of normalcy. This is a first-rate thriller.
Timothy Juhl
Written at the very end of his career, Tryon ventured back into his gothic horror beginnings. It is hard to read the author's works as he ventured through the 1980s and devolved into a reckless life, his novels never really catching on with the reading world.
happydog
Oct 21, 2007 happydog rated it liked it
I read this years ago and don't remember it a whole lot- but it is still on my bookshelf, so I must have enjoyed it enough to keep it!
Jerriann
Apr 05, 2012 Jerriann rated it it was amazing
i read this years ago and enjoyed it a lot, very good book and i recommend it; it is a memorable, impressive tale.
Lew
Jul 06, 2016 Lew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-horror
I enjoyed this book probably more because I went to a camp that seem very similiar to this one except i went to camp in the late 60's not 1938. It was a interesting story.
Kimberly Hart
Mar 18, 2010 Kimberly Hart rated it it was amazing
Loved this! A boy coming of age at a bible camp where everything goes wrong for him- including his past coming back to haunt him.
Calvin Campbell
Mar 26, 2014 Calvin Campbell rated it it was ok
Thomas Tryon is a fine writer, but not much of a storyteller. And this book is not, as promised on the cover, "A CHILLING NIGHTMARE". "TURGID AND OVERWRITTEN SNOOZEFEST" would be more accurate.
J.M.
Mar 05, 2013 J.M. rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Just not holding my interest, which is disappointing, since I enjoyed both "The Other" and "Lady" by the same author.
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2009
Alli
Alli rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2014
Denis
Denis rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Duane
Duane rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2013
Edward
Edward rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2010
  • Midnight Sun
  • Sniper
  • Guinness World Records 2000: Millennium Edition
  • Pin
  • Realms Of The Red Rabbit: (Realms Of The Red Rabbit Series, Book 1)
  • Dead Lines
  • The Haunting
  • The Way To Freedom
  • Along Comes a Stranger
  • Pet Food Politics: The Chihuahua in the Coal Mine
  • Forms of Heaven: Three Plays by Clive Barker
  • Wanderlust: A Book Club Sampler from Simon & Schuster
  • Midnight
  • Flood Tide & Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #14, #8)
  • Ten Storey Love Song
  • The History Of Luminous Motion
  • The Levee (Blackwater, #2)
  • The Legacy
It was Noel Coward’s partner, Gertrude Lawrence, who encouraged Tom to try acting. He made his Broadway debut in 1952 in the chorus of the musical “Wish You Were Here.” He also worked in television at the time, but as a production assistent. In 1955 he moved to California to try his hand at the movies, and the next year made his film debut in “The Scarlet Hour” (1956). Tom was cast in the title ...more
More about Thomas Tryon...