Start by marking “Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)” as Want to Read:
Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)

Reliquary (Pendergast #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  21,451 ratings  ·  685 reviews
"The Chicago Tribune" calls "this follow-up (to "The Relic" is) every bit as good and in some ways better. Preston and Child carry off this sequel with great energy and panache . . . their portrait of the underground dwellers lifts this thriller into a category all its own". "This should do for the New York Subway system what "Jaws" did for Long Island beaches". says "Book ...more
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Reliquary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reliquary

Stephen
Oh the humanity…the expectation-murdering ugh of the dreadful sequel to the quality original. Unfortunately they happen. Some are a menace to the phantoms of our youthful memories:
Photobucket

…others make us long for murderous Revenge on the studio that spawned it from their retched, greed-dripping Jaws.
Photobucket

Some sequels have plot/acting/directing so loaded with mockery- needed fail that we are transformed into staunch proponents of the virtues of franchise euthanasia:
Photobucket

…and some sequels are just big, bloated,
Dirk Grobbelaar
Eighteen months before, she had stared into the face of Mbwun, seen her reflection in its feral red eyes.

First of all: the cover of Reliquary is misleading. I have a vague suspicion that the critter depicted is a rather innocuous and extraordinarily baboon-like depiction of Mbwun, because it certainly isn’t a Wrinkler. It was important for me to get that off my chest, because Reliquary is the first Pendergast novel that I read out of sequence. Why? Well, the closing chapters of Relic and the cov
Lisa
Enjoyable sequel to Relic - it has the same fab characters and the same spooky story but this time set in the underground tunnels of New York. Love all the 'science' bits as before and just think it's a fun creepy story.
To add to the hilarity I listened to this one on audio and the man talking in a girl's voice made me laugh so much and then when they were denoting a thought rather than something said aloud they used an 'echo' effect - heehee! (I am so childish sometimes!)
Colleen
I love these books so much. I'm trying to reread the whole series (for what is probably the fourth or fifth time) before the latest book comes out in May. Funny reading this again, I couldn't help but notice how little Pendergast is in this one. All of the later ones focus on him much more, but in the earlier ones, the strength of the book is much more in the cast of characters and not one individual.

I like how fleshed out the world is. And I give major points to both authors for giving me so m
Oscar
Siempre me han llamado la atención los libros escritos a cuatro manos. No tengo claro cómo se coordinan a la hora de llevar a cabo el trabajo. ¿Un capítulo cada uno? ¿Uno tiene las ideas y otro redacta? Me parece que debe tener más ventajas que inconvenientes, ya que si uno de los dos se atasca en algún punto de la trama, siempre es más fácil salir del apuro consultando al otro. Lo que sí tengo claro es que el dúo Preston-Child realiza su trabajo de maravilla. Saben escribir, bien, muy bien.

‘El
Mike (the Paladin)
I didn't care for this one quite as much as I did the first (Relic). Pendergast is still a good character but the story wanders a little farther into the suspension of disbelief area.

There is one point in this book that disappointed me particularly, but to go into what would require a notable spoiler. So, the book is still readable and enjoyable, Pendergast is still a good character (aside from the "Gary Stu" aspects. He is somewhat of a superhero.)...but I still didn't care for it quite as much
Kribu
I can't really remember exactly which problems (other than slow start and somewhat lacking characterisation) I had with Relic, but whatever they were, I didn't have them with this one, which is more or less a direct sequel to the first book, taking place eighteen months later.

Frankly, by some other scale - some vague scale of "literary goodness" or whatever, this wouldn't be a four star book, but I did really like it, so...

Slowish start again, but this time it didn't really bother me. I even enj
John
Here's a sequel I didn't expect much from, having read the original "Relic" twelve or so years ago. Not that the original story wasn't excellent, because it was; it's just that the awful movie version stuck with me and drained away any excitement toward revisiting those characters. Surprisingly, despite having had none of the fanfare of "Relic," Reliquary was a solid, down-and-dirty action thriller. Sure, it's much too long, but, like many a Stephen King novel, it's all written so well that you ...more
Irena
A year and a half after the events that brought Pendergast, Vincent D'Agosta, Margo Green, William Smithback together, police divers stumble into two headless skeletons. One of them is completely deformed. The details of the case are enough for D'Agosta asks for Margo's help. This story is built upon the previous so even if it could be read as a standalone, it's better to read Relic first. I was beginning to think that Pendergast won't appear at all since he enters a quarter into the story.

The c
Rade
real rating would be somewhere around 3.5 stars

Let me just say that I did not think the sequel to Relic was necessary. yes there was a somewhat of a cliffhanger after all the other stuff was wrapped around in the first book, but a second book that featured the same characters was not necessary.

I liked this book, I really did. It was not necessarily bad, just different. I thought this one could have had similar creatures to the Relic book with few improvements to them. That would have been inte
Zell
Mbwun strikes back! This time in larger amounts. Maybe these hordes weren't Mbwun at all, but they existed anyway. Pendergast and his faithful company once again must save the World.

The idea for a plot is really poor. Something like: Lets do a sequel with nearly the same evil, but now our heroes are level upped, so we must duplicate the danger... A hundredfold or so. Relic was a horror with a pinch of mystery. Reliquary was a pinch of mystery without horror. Not such a good exchange.

So, what ha
Angie
May 14, 2014 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery and thriller fans
Recommended to Angie by: Steven
This was almost as much fun as the first book Relic. It was back in New York but was more centred on the tunnels beneath than in the museum. It was just as exciting and the characters were all well written. I found the mole people fascinating and I've ordered the nonfiction book that tells more about them. There are more Mbwun creatures living in NY now and the race is on to find and stop them, there were some good surprises included. I can recommend this book, I read it straight after the first ...more
StoryTellerShannon
MINI REVIEW: A nice follow up to book one that doesn't suffer through the typical sophomoric slump. Yes, the beast is back but in a totally different manner so no real spoilers there. Focus upon the mole people of NYC with some interesting tidbits of American History that go back quite a ways. Dialog and story plotting are particularly well done and new characters come to visit. If you enjoyed the first book then you should enjoy this one as well.

WHEN READ: July to September 2010; MY GRADE: B p
Andy
Ah, this brings me back. Relic was one of my favourites as a teenager (re-read last in 2006), spurred by the excellently entertaining albeit different, film version (sure, it's not high art but it is an fun creature feature). I still remember the clamouring excitement to find there was a sequel, and the bafflingly unexpected direction it took. To my teenage self this was a bit of a revelation. I've never re-read it though, until now.

Looking back now, Preston and Child did a pretty good job of ru
Jane Stewart
2 ½ stars. I really enjoyed book #1 (Relic) but this not so much. My mind wandered frequently.

Book 1 was a complete story about a beast who killed humans. Book 2 is about beasts who are related to the beast in book 1. Book 2 has a lot of time in underground tunnels and with the homeless. The story and characters were not as good as book 1. The people, what they did, and their motivations did not interest me.

In an interview the author Preston commented that "RELIQUARY was probably the least succ
Unauthorized Cinnamon McCann
I wanted something pulpy and easy - a book that tells its story in a straightforward fashion and draws the reader on with an interesting plot. To some extent, this satisfied that need. But I found it a little ham-fisted. Characters are generally either all-good or all-bad, and the obnoxious ones we're meant to hate are introduced through physical descriptions that loudly, emphatically shout, "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HATE THIS CHARACTER!"

Meanwhile, the plot developments to come are pretty obvious, es
Neeke
"He wanted to be God - his God, the God of evolution"

What an adrenaline rush... almost impossible to put down. Hate to say it, but I liked this one better than the prequel, as in terms of; story is as kick-ass as the other one, but reads even faster.
In this book they make up for the -at that moment- not that great and messy epilogue, by mingling it into this story.
Have to say that the start wasn't one of it's best points, as well as the Mole people bits in the beginning, but you just simply can
Sue Smith
This book is awesome!!! A fantastic sequel with the familiar characters from Relic, it continues along a similiar vein investigating murders that are, although seemingly different and unrelated, all linked to a horrible mutant past that was supposedly put to rest.

Fast paced, super plot and some awesome twists, this story leads you into the underbelly of New York - quite literally - as the horror has taken root in the forgotten subterranean tunnels under the city. Fighting inept bureaucracy and e
Nicole
I read Relic earlier this week which is the first book in the Pendergast series but Reliquary actually reads like a sequal. We return to the story of the Museum Beast and revisit the characters of Margo Green, Dr. Frock, Smithback, D'Argosta, and (of course) Pendergast. While I was entertained and thought the story was interesting, I had very different reactions to the first and second halves of the book.

The first half of the book would have been much more interesting if I hadn't read Relic. Aft
Bobby
Starts off with one of the most thrilling and captivating first chapters I've come across in a while. The familiar characters are back- D'Agosta with his cigars, wily Smithback. The information about the underworld is interesting and shocking. I was disappointed with The Wrinklers, I think their apperence could have been more horrific (maybe ritualistic mutilation or macabre tokens?) The old man face was not very scary and I would have loved if their appereance was equal to how dark and terrifyi ...more
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Douglas Preston e Lincoln Child formam uma dupla imbatível no que concerne a construção de um bom thriller, capaz de prender o leitor até às últimas páginas! Este volume constitui a sequela direta de A Relíquia, dezoito meses após os fatídicos acontecimentos numa noite de pesadelo no Museu de História Natural de Nova Iorque. Rapidamente percebemos que a morte de Mbuwn, a terrível criatura mortífera, não restabeleceu a paz na cidade. Pelo co
Maggie
Here's the deal - I liked this book and it was entertaining, but if you read the 1st book, there just aren't too many "thrillers" here. It wasn't that scary. I wanted to be, ya know... Scared. But instead I felt like the story was a bit repetitive - bungling dumb head-cop-in-charge messes everything up but thinks he knows everything, so Pendergast, D'Agosta & Green have to step in, raise some hell and save the day. Horrible circumstances trapping people... pretty much the premise of book 1, ...more
Jennie
I couldn't finish this one. The Beast that Ate the Museum in the previous book wasn't actually a beast but a scientist with a virus. And in the grand tradition of idiotic mad genetic engineers, someone decides to replicate the virus and create an army of Beasts Who Ate the New York Underground (and one heiress). Throw in the usual complement of idiotic, arrogant police superiors who learned nothing from the time the Beast Ate the Museum, add a bunch of scientists doing pages and pages of scienti ...more
Cyn
I read this book AFTER reading all but one currently in the Pendergast series (all but book #12). While this book is good, many of the later books are great. In retrospect, it is interesting to see how well the series develops the characters introduced in these first two books (Relic, Reliquary), namely D'Agosta, Hayward, Smithback, Green, and of course Pendergast. My favorite(s) are #s 10, 11, 12 known as the Helen trilogy ... so keep reading and you won't be disappointed!! Also, for those of y ...more
Richard P. Pheneger
This one is even better than the first, as it follows the same characters from "Relic"...still in the Museum of Natural History with lots of additional twists and turns....one totally unexpected, but when you look back on it...it should have been expected...a lot of facts about the tunnels under New York City (some...thirty stories below Grand Central Terminal) and the 'people' who inhabit them...develops into a battle of those on the surface of the earth and those sub-earth with lots of other s ...more
Althea Ann
The sequel to Relic.
The dangerous substance that caused the killer man-dinosaur in the Natural History Museum has been synthesized and has spead as a drug through underground NYC. The homeless are being killed at a frightening rate, and rumors of freakish mutants in the lowest levels are spreading, but it takes a debutante's death to catch the attention of the media and the police department.
Will Our Heroes figure out the dastardly plot and succeed in the drastic measures they must take to save
Victoria
This sequel to Relic was quite exciting, but a bit more predictable than this duo’s first book. The ending twist was not really a surprise, though it was still exciting to read to see how it all played out. I had a lot of fun reading it, and I am very curious to see where this series goes - I can't imagine that this same plant could cause any more trouble! I like the characters all a lot, too! This was a fast and fun read.
Aaron
Margo Green and her friends are back for another adventure as New York City is ravaged by another series of graphic murders. For a while, the murders are overlooked because the victims are mostly made up of Mole People, poor homeless people who reside in the various tunnels under the city. All of that changes when a daughter of one of the richest families in the city becomes one of the victims.

Lt. D'Agosta finds himself bringing in Margo and Dr. Frock, her former mentor, when this young woman is
Duncan Mandel

Hidden deep beneath Manhattan lies a warren of tunnels, sewers, and galleries, mostly forgotten by those who walk the streets above. There lies the ultimate secret of the Museum Beat. When two grotesquely deformed skeletons are found deep in the mud off the Manhattan shoreline, museum curator Margo Green is called in to aid the investigation. Margo must once again team up with police lieutenant D'Agosta and FBI agent Pendergast, as well as the brilliant Dr. Frock, to try and solve the puzzle. Th

• Terminal Freeze
  • Ice Hunt
  • By the Sword (Repairman Jack, #12)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • South Of Heaven
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
More about Douglas Preston...
Relic (Pendergast, #1) The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1) The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3) Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)

“Occam’s” 0 likes