Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)

Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,343 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Homicide detective Ollie Chandler has seen it all. But when he’s called to investigate the murder of a Portland State University professor, he finds himself going places he’s never gone before.

Ollie Chandler is a brilliant and quick-witted homicide detective with exceptional deductive skills and street smarts. He's a police department legend for his off-beat methods that s...more
Published (first published 2006)

Eric
Awesome book, 5 stars easily. I haven't read a book in a long time where I laughed every 5 minutes. This is unusual, given that the genre is a suspense/detective story. This book builds on the previous two in the same genre by Mr. Alcorn, which includes Deadline and Dominion, told from a first person vantage of two of the characters that are also in Deception. Both book 1 and 2 are good, but Deception is the best in the series and could be read independently. There are references to previous cha...more
Emily
10 star book! LOVED it! Randy Alcorn did an amazing job! :D This is exactly what I would like to see in a novel. Humor, action, suspense and a wee little bit of romance. Not many books can make me laugh out loud, but this one did that countess times! I fell in love with the main character, Ollie Chandler. I loved how this book was from Ollies point of view! And the ending was awesome.

Words cannot express how much I love this book! You need to read this book. Soon. I promise, you won't be disappo...more
Hannah
It was 9p.m. on a Saturday night. I was exhausted and wondering how early I needed to get up in order to be ready for church on time in the morning.
Daddy handed me a book and asked, "How about this for the church library?"
I glanced at the title, knew all my family loves these books, and commented, "You know, I haven't read it yet."

It was 3:30a.m. on a Sunday morning. I turned the last page, closed the book, and staggered my room.

I've read (and not really liked) Alcorn's Lord Foulgrin's Letters a...more
Auntie
Such a good read! I love mysteries, and this comes from a good strong storyteller, Randy Alcorn.

The premise of the book is that the main character is having trouble with his private life, i.e. he's becoming and alcoholic and suffers from blackouts on occasion. He's also a fine detective who has been called to work a homicide investigation that has way too many pieces of evidence, too many suspects and evidence that points to his presence at the murder scene.

It's a great read, in that all along t...more
Elaine
(novel, audiobook)
a. “Deception” is the 3rd in this series, the first being “Deadline” and then “Dominion.” I’ve read all three. All are brilliantly done and all three star Detective Ollie Chandler.
b. Ollie is ordered to include Clarence Abernathy, a newspaper reporter and acquaintance of Ollie and mutual friend Jake in this investigation. This one focuses around a murdered professor. Ollie has seen this professor before. How did he really die? Did Ollie murder him in a drunken stupor? After al...more
Lee Nye
Susan
Wow! I just got blown away by another Randy Alcorn novel. Every one I've read has kept me up at night and prevented me from doing any housework. This is the third in the series featuring Jake, Clarence, and Ollie. Ollie, a police detective, is in the spotlight here with a murder that appears to have been committed by one of the detectives themselves. Besides the suspense story, there is a Christian back story as Jake and Clarence try to get agnostic/atheist Ollie to investigate the claims of Jes...more
Sean
This book was a little different than the others in the series and I think it changed for the better. Instead of the more narrative view of the first two, this one was more like a diary entry of the main character. This sounds boring, but this character is so funny, and the writing is written in his way of thinking (the jokes and similes and analogies are all corny in the way of him). It was very clever and another can't-put-down!
Becky
The funniest of the trilogy, this book was my favorite out of the three. Alcorn paints an outstanding picture of both heaven and hell in these three books, and really gets you thinking not only of how things are in both heaven and hell, but also how the people on earth are affected. His characters and situations are very realistic and enjoyable. I highly suggest the trilogy.
You know a author is good when you find yourself caring about the characters as you would a real person.That being said this book can be safely said is one of them.I found myself always hoping for Ollie Chandler's safety when I wasn't reading.This book was totally endearing and I will and have recommend it to all of my friends.
Eva
Alcorn is a great fiction writer. This is a book that made me laugh out loud and made me tear up, too. It has suspense and truth and hope. I'm recommending it to many. While reading I discovered it's book 3 of a trilogy - yet the books all stand alone. I will read the first two.
Phillip Gralik
My wife and I both thought this book was amazing and hope the author will continue with writing about Ollie Chandler. Humor plus twist and turns in the plot kept us entertained. The book was also clean so I feel free to recommend it to anyone.
Tuuli Platner
Not nearly as good as the first one. Needs a bit more character development - Ollie and Clarance were getting on just fine in Dominion, and suddenly they hate each other's guts? Confusing. Still, an entertaining read.
Ona Mae
this is another good book by Randy Alcorn. I think I can't find one of his books that I wouldn't want to share with everyone. Just try one of his books and see if they don't move you.
Kathleen
This is a Christian book, also a mystery. Just when you think you know who the killer is, the plot twists, and you have to think again.
And again, and again.
Very good.
Kristina
More twists and turns than the other two in the series, I think, maybe... but Ollie Chandler's mental processes crack me up, and I love the Sherlock Holmes quotes.
Debbie
Edge of your seat suspense! Read it with the lights on! This is a great suspense story that will leave you reeling from the results. I'll read more of this author!
Laura Holland
Another great read by Randy Alcorn. I liked Deadline better, but it was fun getting reacquainted with the characters from Deadline.
Brenda
I am so excited about this book! It fit me to a T! Mystery/religion/humor.....I can't wait to read more from this author!
Rena
I have really liked all the books I have read by Randy Alcorn.
Amy
Excellent book! I had a hard time putting it down.
Mary Ann
I think the best of all three books
David
Terrific! Humourous, yet intriguing.
Brian K.
Another knock out by Alcomrn!
Rishi Saikia
Review

“I have just finished reading Randy Alcorn’s new novel. Deception is the same high quality as Randy’s related novels Deadline and Dominion. All three are page-turners…Randy is a gifted writer. I strongly recommend that you read his books.”
- Chuck Norris, six-time World Karate champion, international film and television star

“_Deception_ was as engaging to me as books by Chricton or Clancy…I’m sure glad Randy can’t paint, or I’d be in big trouble!”
- Ron DiCianni, award-winning artist, aut

Colleen Vincent
Ollie Justice Chandler is a cop who believes in justice but not a loving God much to the dismay of his Christian co-workers and friends. His law enforcement heroes are Sherlock Holmes and Jack Bauer from the television series 24. When a professor is murdered and Ollie is assigned to the case the clues will lead him to suspect one of the boys in blue. Sure that he has found the correct suspect in the end we find out that appearances can be deceiving and at the very end the case is finally solved....more
Grampy
Third and final volume in a series of three by Randy Alcorn, "Dominion" and "Deadline" being the other two, I highly recommend reading all three. Randy is a writer of Christian literature, but for those of you who may be turned off by the label "Christian literature", this series of three books will entertain you as suspenseful thrillers on their own merit. The Christian aspect is present, but subtle, and will not interfere with your enjoyment of three good thrillers. Randy does not write his fi...more
Samantha

This book follows Randy's other books, "Deadline" and "Dominion"

Homicide detective, Ollie Chandler, has seen it all.
But when he's called to investigate the murder of a Portland State University professor, he finds himself going places that he's never gone before.

All the evidence is undeniable.
And it points right back to his own department.
Did one of his co-workers or buddies murder the professor?
Or did Ollie himself do the deed?
He has no recollection of where he was that fateful night...

Joined b...more
Ashley Lissenberg
Deception
This novel written by Randy Alcorn is a fantastic, chilling thriller told through the eyes of an intelligent homicide detective by the name of Ollie Chandler. Detective Chandler is called to investigate the murder of a professor from the Portland State University, and hits many twisted plots throughout his investigation. Anything he had ever believed before is being questioned after each and every piece of information. The reoccurring theme throughout the book is that things are not alw...more
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR AUTHOR*

Although billed as a sequel, this felt more like a spin-off novel – the main characters from Alcorn’s previous novels featured heavily in the plot, the main focus here is on Detective Ollie Chandler (who appeared in the previous novels) and it works so well as a stand-alone novel that, if you haven’t already read them, will quite probably make the reader want to go back and read the others too as it’s so very good!

This harks back to the style of the old detective novels feat...more
  • Life Support (Alexi Lindale, #1)
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • First the Dead
  • False Witness
  • The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)
  • When Heaven Weeps (Martyr's Song, #2)
  • Riven
  • Double Minds
  • Presumed Guilty
  • The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • The Veritas Conflict
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim...more
More about Randy Alcorn...
Courageous Safely Home Heaven Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1) Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)