Start by marking “Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)” as Want to Read:
Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)

Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,018 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Homicide detective Ollie Chandler has seen it all. But when he’s called to investigate the murder of a Portland State University professor, he finds himself going places he’s never gone before.

Ollie Chandler is a brilliant and quick-witted homicide detective with exceptional deductive skills and street smarts. He's a police department legend for his off-beat methods that s
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception

Eric
Jun 18, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, 5 stars easily. I haven't read a book in a long time where I laughed every 5 minutes. This is unusual, given that the genre is a suspense/detective story. This book builds on the previous two in the same genre by Mr. Alcorn, which includes Deadline and Dominion, told from a first person vantage of two of the characters that are also in Deception. Both book 1 and 2 are good, but Deception is the best in the series and could be read independently. There are references to previous cha ...more
Emily
Dec 23, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
10 star book! LOVED it! Randy Alcorn did an amazing job! :D This is exactly what I would like to see in a novel. Humor, action, suspense and a wee little bit of romance. Not many books can make me laugh out loud, but this one did that countess times! I fell in love with the main character, Ollie Chandler. I loved how this book was from Ollies point of view! And the ending was awesome.

Words cannot express how much I love this book! You need to read this book. Soon. I promise, you won't be disappo
Hannah
It was 9p.m. on a Saturday night. I was exhausted and wondering how early I needed to get up in order to be ready for church on time in the morning.
Daddy handed me a book and asked, "How about this for the church library?"
I glanced at the title, knew all my family loves these books, and commented, "You know, I haven't read it yet."

It was 3:30a.m. on a Sunday morning. I turned the last page, closed the book, and staggered my room.

I've read (and not really liked) Alcorn's Lord Foulgrin's Letters a
Auntie
Oct 08, 2007 Auntie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good read! I love mysteries, and this comes from a good strong storyteller, Randy Alcorn.

The premise of the book is that the main character is having trouble with his private life, i.e. he's becoming and alcoholic and suffers from blackouts on occasion. He's also a fine detective who has been called to work a homicide investigation that has way too many pieces of evidence, too many suspects and evidence that points to his presence at the murder scene.

It's a great read, in that all along t
Elaine
Jun 14, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(novel, audiobook)
a. “Deception” is the 3rd in this series, the first being “Deadline” and then “Dominion.” I’ve read all three. All are brilliantly done and all three star Detective Ollie Chandler.
b. Ollie is ordered to include Clarence Abernathy, a newspaper reporter and acquaintance of Ollie and mutual friend Jake in this investigation. This one focuses around a murdered professor. Ollie has seen this professor before. How did he really die? Did Ollie murder him in a drunken stupor? After al
Lee Nye
Feb 12, 2009 Lee Nye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bethany
Dec 28, 2012 Bethany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first two books in this series were spectacular, so maybe my expectations were too high going into this one. Detective Chandler is lovingly bumbling, but so is Randy Alcorn in his writing. Each talk with his friends about Christianity is ridiculously forced, every twist that could happen in a case happens in this one, and Ollie is so stereotypically a detective - loves greasy diner food, loves Oldies, loves his wife, and gets the case solved no matter the consequences - that it's just not ev ...more
Susan
Apr 02, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I just got blown away by another Randy Alcorn novel. Every one I've read has kept me up at night and prevented me from doing any housework. This is the third in the series featuring Jake, Clarence, and Ollie. Ollie, a police detective, is in the spotlight here with a murder that appears to have been committed by one of the detectives themselves. Besides the suspense story, there is a Christian back story as Jake and Clarence try to get agnostic/atheist Ollie to investigate the claims of Jes ...more
Jessie Weaver
Randy Alcorn brings back characters from two other best-selling mysteries - Deadline and Dominion - in Deception, his latest fiction work. Ollie Chandler is a Portland, Oregon-based homicide detective whose latest case has him chasing down the last people on earth he wants to suspect - his own colleagues.

A widower, Ollie takes solace in food, drink, and his dog Mulch. One night he blacks out at his favorite local bar, to find himself awakened at home in his bed at 3 a.m. to investigate a new mur
Sean
Jan 21, 2009 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little different than the others in the series and I think it changed for the better. Instead of the more narrative view of the first two, this one was more like a diary entry of the main character. This sounds boring, but this character is so funny, and the writing is written in his way of thinking (the jokes and similes and analogies are all corny in the way of him). It was very clever and another can't-put-down!
Becky
Oct 21, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The funniest of the trilogy, this book was my favorite out of the three. Alcorn paints an outstanding picture of both heaven and hell in these three books, and really gets you thinking not only of how things are in both heaven and hell, but also how the people on earth are affected. His characters and situations are very realistic and enjoyable. I highly suggest the trilogy.
Jun 02, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know a author is good when you find yourself caring about the characters as you would a real person.That being said this book can be safely said is one of them.I found myself always hoping for Ollie Chandler's safety when I wasn't reading.This book was totally endearing and I will and have recommend it to all of my friends.
Eva
Jul 07, 2009 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alcorn is a great fiction writer. This is a book that made me laugh out loud and made me tear up, too. It has suspense and truth and hope. I'm recommending it to many. While reading I discovered it's book 3 of a trilogy - yet the books all stand alone. I will read the first two.
Phillip Gralik
Dec 13, 2012 Phillip Gralik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My wife and I both thought this book was amazing and hope the author will continue with writing about Ollie Chandler. Humor plus twist and turns in the plot kept us entertained. The book was also clean so I feel free to recommend it to anyone.
Tuuli Platner
Not nearly as good as the first one. Needs a bit more character development - Ollie and Clarance were getting on just fine in Dominion, and suddenly they hate each other's guts? Confusing. Still, an entertaining read.
Debbie Ward
Aug 07, 2015 Debbie Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my favourite of the three books! The plot was good. Held my attention all the way through. It had great twists and turns and was hard to predict how it was going to end. Randy Alcorn has finally got it right, unlike the first two novels in this series he refrained from pushing theological views on heaven, abortion, racism and homosexuality. The underling message was subtle, but powerful. After finishing book two I really didn't know if I could sit through reading this book. I was plea ...more
Ona Mae
Mar 10, 2013 Ona Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is another good book by Randy Alcorn. I think I can't find one of his books that I wouldn't want to share with everyone. Just try one of his books and see if they don't move you.
Kathleen
Jun 07, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Christian book, also a mystery. Just when you think you know who the killer is, the plot twists, and you have to think again.
And again, and again.
Very good.
Kristina
Aug 30, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More twists and turns than the other two in the series, I think, maybe... but Ollie Chandler's mental processes crack me up, and I love the Sherlock Holmes quotes.
Debbie
Jun 15, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of your seat suspense! Read it with the lights on! This is a great suspense story that will leave you reeling from the results. I'll read more of this author!
Laura Holland
Jul 28, 2011 Laura Holland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by Randy Alcorn. I liked Deadline better, but it was fun getting reacquainted with the characters from Deadline.
Brenda
Jul 28, 2009 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so excited about this book! It fit me to a T! Mystery/religion/humor.....I can't wait to read more from this author!
Amber
Jul 23, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Randy Alcorn novel, so I went in with no expectations whatsoever. When I first started reading "Deception", I had concerns, namely that the main character, Ollie, seemed like a very unlikely hero- but not in the usual sense. He's not just a person who has suffered his share of loss, or that has some type of physical or minor emotional baggage, (although he has both)...this guy has ISSUES, most of which don't make him a very likeable character, at least for me. For one thing, he ...more
Karissa
Aug 02, 2015 Karissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting and exciting enough to keep me hook until the falling action hit the floor before the book finished. It just spiralled down the drain. I also do not the appreciate the "shoving your religion down my throat" part. There are parts that are acceptable, but I think it went out of proportion, overkill, especially those parts where the dead and Carpenter are talking. Serious overkill. Aside from that, the protagonist is not very likable or relatable or at least someone you would roo ...more
Rena
Sep 19, 2011 Rena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have really liked all the books I have read by Randy Alcorn.
Amy
Feb 03, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! I had a hard time putting it down.
Mary Ann
Jul 13, 2009 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the best of all three books
David
May 17, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific! Humourous, yet intriguing.
Brian K.
May 17, 2011 Brian K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another knock out by Alcomrn!
Gloria
Nov 17, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery buffs
This was a real doozy of a detective story (and I don't think I read this one before). Even after reading it, I'm still not sure who did what - except the really bad guy deceived everyone as to who he was, portraying himself as a really good guy.

This book follows Oliver Chandler, Ollie, who was a character in the prior two books. The space of time between publication of the books necessitates that time being reflected in the books, such as Finn, who was about five in the first book, now being a
  • First the Dead
  • Life Support (Santee, #1)
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)
  • Double Minds
  • When Heaven Weeps (Martyr's Song, #2)
  • Self Incrimination
  • The Veritas Conflict
  • Steal Away (Teri Blake-Addison Mystery Series)
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • Presumed Guilty
  • The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...

Ollie Chandler (4 books)
  • Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1)
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Ollie Chandler Collection: Three Novels: Deadline, Dominion, Deception