Start by marking “Looking for Mo” as Want to Read:
Looking for Mo

Looking for Mo

A "fresh, funny first novel" "(San Francisco Chronicle)," "Looking For Mo" has garnered rave reviews from critics and readers alike, echoing the success of Daniel Duane's previous book, "Caught Inside." This time Duane combines the thrill of adventure writing "a la" Jon Krakauer with a sly satire of pop culture comparable to Douglas Coupland's "Generation X," and folds the ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Washington Square Press (first published June 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Mo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Mo

Benjamin
Nov 09, 2014 Benjamin rated it liked it
Shelves: male-friendship
Ray Connelly failed in his attempt on El Capitan, Yosemite's forbidding sheer rock face, letting down his friend Mo. He is in even more trouble with his friend having "borrowed" the many stories Mo has told him, written a book of them and their climbing adventures together and tried to get it published. Mo is not happy.

Can he repair the rift in their friendship, what hopes of his future as a writer if he must abandon his cherished book, and has he finally found love in the form of Fiona, and how
Richard Kravitz
Jul 29, 2016 Richard Kravitz rated it liked it
I remember this story being kind of weird, like about stealing someone else's stories.
Charlie
Jun 13, 2014 Charlie rated it really liked it
Great book for those that have hiked or climbed the sierras.
Heather
Nov 13, 2008 Heather rated it it was ok
Soooo 1998, and reflecting the emotional maturity of an early twenty-something. Squirmily uncomfortable like listening to an overly-earnest person who is searching for their purpose in life and is not yet able to see the fun/contradictions/amusements in the search itself. Seriously, is it actually possible to read about someone else's trip at a Dead concert without gagging?

The climb part itself was the least contrived, if you can make it to that part of the book. Makes me want to go back to Yos
Jamie
May 19, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it
Feeling a little let down, now that I finished it. Was waiting for something epic to happen, but was only left to keep waiting. It did had a few good life lessons and lines towards the end, but felt like there could have been more. Maybe it's just me...and something about having "Most of all, I envied the water on the priest's pale, bony fingers" as the last sentence in the book bewilders me.
Nevertheless, makes me want to find my calling in life and strive towards happiness, not in Mo's shadow.
TK421
Jun 17, 2012 TK421 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
Notes:

Mountain metaphor...perhaps every book is about conquering a mountain

Mo
Ray

Makes the reader think about love of self and others and physical objects and all the meandering thoughts in each of our cavernous minds.

Pseudo philosophy and religion...drags the story...story recovers
Chrissie
Jul 07, 2011 Chrissie rated it liked it
I love a good climbing novel. This one was pretty good. A quick read. I read most of it while doing laundry.

It started out really well, but then bogged down in cliched kinda zen philosophy and quasi-Kerouac-ish-ness (totally a word) towards the end.
Dobber
May 15, 2011 Dobber rated it liked it
I positively loved Duane's Caught Inside, about surfing. This was a good read but not a great one. I prefer his nonfiction accounts of surfing and mountain climbing; he has a marvelous narrative style.
Philippe Bishop
Sep 19, 2007 Philippe Bishop rated it really liked it
great story, but not quite as good as Caught Inside.
Andrea Young
Feb 22, 2010 Andrea Young rated it it was amazing
I admire Dan's writing immensely.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
sylvia
sylvia rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Michael Sandahl
Michael Sandahl marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Iratxe Unzueta
Iratxe Unzueta marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Clayton
Clayton rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Julie Lapolito
Julie Lapolito marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Randall Pink Floyd
Randall Pink Floyd rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
David Brown
David Brown rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
J Demedeiros
J Demedeiros rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Josef Thelesklaf
Josef Thelesklaf rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014