Start by marking “Temples: Sacred Symbolism, Eternal Blessings” as Want to Read:
Temples: Sacred Symbolism, Eternal Blessings

Temples: Sacred Symbolism, Eternal Blessings

Modern temples aren't just pretty white buildings—they are Heavenly Father's classrooms. When we enter His holy house, the Lord teaches us through symbols so we can understand and retain more of the sacred instruction provided there. In this book, David J. Ridges not only helps us find these symbols within temple walls, but he brings to light profound symbolism as found in ...more
Published October 13th 2014 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media (first published October 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Temples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temples

Cindi
Dec 31, 2015 Cindi rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that breaks down the temple and some of the symbols found in the temple. I really enjoyed this book!
Samuel
Oct 28, 2016 Samuel rated it liked it
I was hoping for something a little more meaty, but the outline and collection of thoughts were still worthwhile to consider and ponder. I read this book out loud with my wife, and we decided it would probably work better as an individual reference book for teaching temple prep with all the parenthetical asides explaining the symbolism/interpretation of scripture passages. The author, an employee of the Church Education System (CES) for 35 years, has here collected and organized his thoughts on ...more
Maria
Sep 27, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
I learned so much about temple covenants and the Old Testament! I wish I had read this a lot sooner.
Penelope
Such a fantastic book! It is written more for those who have not yet been through the temple, but I think those who have, but want to learn more about symbolism, would also enjoy reading it. I love the respectful insight the author gives into the symbolism of the temple. He does it by studying the temple practices found in the Old Testament. He also touches on other things that have to do with preparing to enter the temple or keeping oneself worthy to continue to go to the temple.

I absolutely l
April Fear
Jul 23, 2015 April Fear rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few months ago and wasn't really impressed. I decided to read it again, and this time I really liked it and found some insights I'd missed the first time. It's a lot like learning something new each time you attend the temple, if you are in the spirit. One of those lines that didn't sink in the first time is "...covenants apply only to entrance into the celestial kingdom..." No covenants or ordinances are required to attain the other kingdoms. I hadn't thought of that before. ...more
Pat Tucker
Apr 05, 2016 Pat Tucker rated it really liked it
This is a short and interesting book about LDS temples. A review says this about the book. "Modern temples are designed to reveal sacred truths through symbolic teaching...

Travel back to ancient Israel's tabernacles and discover how temples have helped all God’s children draw nearer to Him. Then fast-forward to latter days and find out why we build temples the way we do."
Lori
Apr 10, 2016 Lori rated it liked it
3.5 to 4 stars. If you are new to symbolism, this is the book for you. Brother Ridges gives examples from scripture, describing what to look for, then goes through it again with notes, explicitly pointing out the symbolism. He has a sure testimony of the temple and of the power of covenants and ordinances.
Cami
May 16, 2015 Cami rated it liked it
Shelves: church-book
I read this in about an hour. As a temple preparation class instructor, this is a great source for those about to enter the temple or who haven't studied it or learned much about scriptural symbols. I enjoyed the list of symbols with their meanings as well as the list of blessings of temple attendance.
Jamille Parks
Jan 14, 2015 Jamille Parks rated it really liked it
Very enlightening and beautifully written. I enjoyed learning more about these sacred temples as I've prepared to enter. I would recommend this to anyone who is preparing to take out their endowment or just wants to know more about the temple and why we worship there.
Brett Folkman
Jul 12, 2015 Brett Folkman rated it did not like it
I was expecting a real book - this was more of a pamphlet in a small hard cover quoting well worn LDS church published material only - don't waste your time. Spent 1/3 of the book on parables not even related to the temple - pretty misleading title, very superficial and not well written at all.
Tenille
This is a short read, and I learned some things.. but i thought it would be more about temples and the symbolism there.
Kristen Robison
Kristen Robison rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
William D Osborne
William D Osborne rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Gaelynn
Gaelynn rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Kathy Tanner
Kathy Tanner rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Derbajo
Derbajo rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
McKell
McKell rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Violet O
Violet O rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Lisa Pettegrew
Lisa Pettegrew rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Lynne
Lynne rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Richard Downey
Richard Downey rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Cindy Leavitt
Cindy Leavitt rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Lois
Lois rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015