Start by marking “The X-Files: Goblins” as Want to Read:
The X-Files: Goblins

The X-Files: Goblins (X-Files #1)

3.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,489 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Opening the X-Files...

Meet Mulder and Scully, FBI. The agency maverick and the female agent assigned to keep him in line.

Their job: investigate the eeriest unsolved mysteries in modern America, from pyro-psychics to death row demonics, from rampaging Sasquatches to alien invasions. The cases the Bureau wants handled quietly, but quickly, before the public finds out what's
Published October 28th 1994 by Harper Collins (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The X-Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The X-Files

American Assassin by Vince FlynnThe Diaries Of Pontius Pilate by Joseph Max LewisTripwire by Lee ChildDamascus Countdown by Joel C. RosenbergThe Tehran Initiative by Joel C. Rosenberg
Most Addictive Books/Authors
79th out of 366 books — 65 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Great Books with BLACK Covers
429th out of 1,295 books — 724 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
May 28, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
There’s a folder on my hard drive— named “Apocrypha,” what else?— that, like maybe anyone who came of age on the internet at the same time, is full of X-Files fan fiction. Stories I’ve saved, stories I’ve written (like an ambitious/incomplete undertaking where I elaborated greatly on the canon of seasons 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, episode by episode), so there’s the understatement for you: that I’ve read and written, and still write and read, my share of X-Files fanfic. I may be able to speak with some ...more
Supratim Bose
Jan 24, 2016 Supratim Bose rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-x-files, sci-fi
This is the second The X-Files novel that i have read and must say that I found this one to be much better.

Brief synopsis: An ex-sergeant and later a corporal is murdered and as usual the testimony provided by the witnesses does not make sense. Mulder and Scully, this time accompanied by another pair of agents are sent to investigate. There you have hints of covert military experiments, a nosy reporter trying to find the killer, a lady who claims to see goblins etc. - enough elements to create
Andrew
May 04, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
Ok Its sunday and time for some retro reading - I will put my hand up (rather sheepishly) that at the time of its airing I loved the x-files. They were something new and interesting and had a sense of fun - even if they became harder and harder to believe - I remember the tag line on the first episode (or was it the pilot) where they said it was based on a true story, hmm how closely based I wonder. Anyway this book follows the same formula as the show - although it does not quote a specific tim ...more
Angus McKeogh
Feb 17, 2016 Angus McKeogh rated it liked it
Love the TV series. Love the reunion episodes that have recently been aired. And knowing that's it's near impossible to translate TV characters to book form without completely missing I was pleasantly surprised by this first X-Files novel. I thought Grant captured the characters fairly well. The beginning was slow and the writing was at times scattershot and skeletal. But I ultimately enjoyed another newly discovered "episode" of Mulder and Scully.
Greg
Having been a fan of the television series since it started back in the mid-1990s, it's strange that I never got to read a novel based on The X-Files until now - nearly 20 years later! This book is also the first Charles Grant novel I've ever read, which again seems strange that I've not read one before. I suppose there's a first time for everything and it doesn't really matter when it happens!

As for the story itself, it wasn't bad but it wasn't exceptional either. It's written on the basis that
Randolph Carter
Jan 18, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, fiction
I'm not sure why Grant picked up this and another piece of X-Files hack work Whirlwind. Maybe he needed to pay the mortgage or he just really liked the show. Hopefully he made a decent deal and did pay the mortgage since this particular copy I have is in the 22nd printing! Anyway, in my quest to read all things Grant, I dove into this one because I had it and it was the only thing around when I needed something to read.

I don't believe this is a novelization of an episode per se but a novel inten
Monse
Jan 17, 2015 Monse rated it it was ok
La historia es digna de ser uno de los capítulos más aburridos de la serie, si la hubieran adaptado.
Lo más flojo del relato es que tiene demasiados personajes secundarios. ¿Para qué una pareja doble de agentes? Con Mulder y Scully bastaba, pero parece que Grant quizo inventar dos personajes muy mal desarrollados y super estereotipados: Webber (como el incompetente newbie del FBI) y Andrews (como la agente callada, (view spoiler)
Daphne
Feb 16, 2016 Daphne rated it did not like it
Shelves: own-audio, quest
By the Nines, this book was bad. I should have known better than to even try, but two things drew me to giving it a go.

1. I've had decent luck with the Torchwood/Dr.Who books and audio dramas. Some have even been superb. This was on the complete other end of the 'book-tie-in' spectrum. The absolute other end.

2. New X-Files. 'nuff said.
Rebecca McNutt
The X-Files is one of those things that works way better as a television show than a book series. With limited vocabulary, a childish premise and confusing dialogue, Goblins is more like a bad TV novel than anything else, very common for the Nineties.
Oceana2602
More official fanfic that I read before I ever discovered "real" fanfic. Gods, how I ever survived my childhood (do teenage years qualify as childhood? Because I think they do) without the internet I don't know. Also, gods, how I ever survived my twenties WITH the internet I don't know.
Other things I don't know: what this book was about, if it featured Krycek and if he and Mulder got to make out while waiting for a UFO to lan in an alleyway. Though I'm guessing that none of this happened. Still
Shayla Morgansen
Jun 21, 2016 Shayla Morgansen rated it it was ok
Never thought I'd give anything with Mulder and Scully in it a 2-star rating, but as I struggle to justify such a thing to myself, I am comfortable that my reasons are apt. Firstly, I need to complain about the writing. It's pitchy, overlong in places and brief to the point of unclear in others. There are whole dull pages of description of a room or lab, and then in an action scene there's a shooting and it's all over in five lines, and I found myself stopping to reread, to check whether I'd mis ...more
Gavin Felgate
Dec 21, 2015 Gavin Felgate rated it really liked it
For some reason I thought I hadn't enjoyed the first official X-Files novelisation, written around the time of the show's second season. True, Charles Grant's novels weren't quite as enjoyable as the later ones by Kevin J. Anderson, and this one did take a while to get going, but eventually I realised that this is an enjoyable enough adventure. I think my only problems were the fact that Mulder and Scully got lumbered with two other agents who I didn't find engaging at all, and the fact that at ...more
Adriana Fogaça
Jul 23, 2015 Adriana Fogaça rated it it was amazing
Título: Duendes
Autor: Charles Grant
Tradução: Georges Ribeiro
Série: Arquivo X
Editora: Mercuryo (Unicórnio Azul)
Ano: 1995

Uma das séries de maior sucesso da década de 90. Arquivo X abril as portas para inovação das séries de ficção científica, transformando hoje as séries deste gênero em ultramodernas.

Na série, nos livros e como nos filmes. Os agentes do FBI Fox Mulder e Dana Scully são investigadores de Arquivo X: casos não solucionados envolvendo fenômenos paranormais (Mutantes, Alienígenas e O
Dillon
Dec 25, 2012 Dillon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
The X Files: Goblins, was a book that was easy and fun to read. Without being difficult and mind boggling, it's a great book to just kick back and relax without thinking to much. While this is a plus, I would've enjoyed a little more mystery instead of being so blunt and obvious. Other than that, I quite enjoyed this book.
4/5
Josh Dormammu
Feb 20, 2015 Josh Dormammu rated it did not like it
A book so bad I felt compelled to burn it before finishing the last ten pages, thereby ensuring that no one else will ever suffer through at least this one copy of Goblins. I want to believe it is still smuldering in my backyard. Haha.
Stephen Osborne
Jan 24, 2014 Stephen Osborne rated it liked it
Not bad. Grant has the characters down, but the whole thing has a rushed feeling about it. Some scenes could have been clearer, some characters more fully explored. FBI agent Andrews, in particular, made me go "huh?"
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it liked it
I love the television show The X-Files. I have watched it since the first season and will continue to watch it until it ends. But as with all things that I love to watch, sometime one hour a week just isn’t enough.

I did enjoy reading this story. Like the series, this book keeps you guessing as to what is really going on. I love it when I can’t figure out the entire puzzle, but can solve most of it. This story has a good twist at the end that I didn’t even see coming. Even if the characters are
Jose Luis Meza Garcia
Jul 24, 2016 Jose Luis Meza Garcia rated it did not like it
Well, this wasn’t the kind of story I had in mind I would read when I decided to read X-Files: Goblins. After all, I had read many years ago different x-files novels that I liked. Most of all while I read them I immediately recognized Mulder and Scully. That didn’t happen here, they use words they have never said and behave not like the real Mulder and Scully should. The author should have understood better how the two characters behave in different situations.

As for the case, it was good. An in
Tracey
Jun 08, 2016 Tracey rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book and I just didn't which is why it took me so long to get through. I thought the novel made caricatures of Mulder and Scully.
Octavia Cade
Jan 05, 2016 Octavia Cade rated it it was ok
Better than Grant's other X-Files novel, the absolutely execrable "Whirlwind", but not by much. Grant only wrote the two novels for this fandom before Kevin J. Anderson (thankfully) took over, I believe, and in "Goblins" (like the follow-up) I'm never sure I'm reading about the same characters that are on the tv show. Mulder and Scully don't feel in-character to me - Scully in particular is under-used and seems to exist primarily as some sort of maternal babysitter for her partner.

And this is u
Jessie Radford
I am a big fan of the t.v series. So I quickly took to searching for the books to read as well. Well a few I have read were good this one was just ok. I have to admit the actual culprit caught me by surprise. The book seem a bit slow to start. After a few chapters I found myself pushing myself to get it finished. Towards the end when the action kicked in things flowed much easier, but I found the quick switches between the character POV slightly confusing. It left me having to pause and recall e ...more
Harry Barshney
Dec 09, 2014 Harry Barshney rated it really liked it
I'm a huge xphile and I definitely loved a dive into the past with Mulder and Scully. The plot was x files approved and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I would just like to point out 2 things.

1. Mulder and Scully's dialogue was a bit off. They used certain phrasing and tones that were a touch un xfile like, but it didnt detract from the story or ruin the book.

2. I am unsure why the author chose to have Scully carrying her sidearm in her purse in certain parts of the story. In one chapter it was p
Alejandro Jovandro
Dec 30, 2015 Alejandro Jovandro rated it liked it
I'm being generous with the three star rating because this book isn't really well-written. I mean, Grant describes the town (I forgot the name) as pretty much a ghost town where everything is shutting down and people are selling their properties and such, just to continue to the next paragraph (not even chapter) where he states that "economically, things are OK in that town".

Nevertheless, I was able to forget these examples of bad writing because of the overall atmosphere of the X Files series.
ScarlettMi
Apr 17, 2015 ScarlettMi rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Ah, official fan fiction. I found an old box of books when I was moving that was full to the brim with these kinds of books. "The X-Files," "Earth2", "Star Trek" (of every sort), etc. If there was a scifi-ish tv show for it in the 90s, I probably had a cheap little novel or two with its stars on the cover.

From what I recall they were perfectly servicable little one-off stories that helped fuel the obsession as I waited for the next new episode to air. (Of course no one ever made out in them, lik
George
Mar 14, 2015 George rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Πέρυσι διάβασα δυο X-Files βιβλία, το ένα ήταν ουσιαστικά novelization του πιλοτικού επεισοδίου της σειράς και το άλλο novelization της ταινίας του 1998. Αυτό που μόλις τελείωσα είναι βασισμένο στους χαρακτήρες της σειράς και ακολουθεί το ίδιο μοτίβο, όμως έχει μια δική του ιστορία να πει.

Οι πράκτορες του FBI Μόλντερ και Σκάλι καλούνται να ερευνήσουν μια υπόθεση αλλόκοτων δολοφονιών που συμβαίνουν σε μια κωμόπολη και κοντά στην στρατιωτική βάση Ντιξ. Οι μοναδικές πληροφορίες που διαθέτουν βασίζ
Brandon
Nov 04, 2015 Brandon rated it liked it
I surprisingly found this book in the corner of a small town Dollar General store. I am a big X-Files fan and it dawned on me that I never bothered finding out if there were any official novels out there. Needless to say, I bought the book without question. This is the kind of book you can read over the weekend or a long afternoon. It felt like a monster of the week episode and the author did a great job in capturing the quirky essence of Mulder and Scully. However, the story itself was slow to ...more
Bob
Mar 25, 2015 Bob rated it it was ok
Unfortunately this book was very predictable. Mulder and Scully came across as two different characters from their usual selves. The introduction of rookie agents was ill thought out and seemed rather superfluous to the main theme of the story. On the whole, rather disappointing.
oxana
Sep 10, 2011 oxana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of TV show X-Files and those interested in fictional paranormal investigation
Strong 3 or 4 stars.

I know I've probably read this book before in Finnish, years ago. If you've enjoyed the X-Files tv-show, then you're bound to enjoy this book as well; it reads like the show.

Mulder and Scully (and their "babysitters") get to solve a case with strange murders. "Hands coming out of trees and walls" seems like the only clue, although the statements are not entirely credible. This ought to, and does, capture Mulder's attention, and leads him and his fellow agents down yet another
Sarah Musser mcalister
Mar 31, 2016 Sarah Musser mcalister rated it did not like it
I like the X-Files TV show, so I was expecting more from this book. I didn't feel like the characters in the book matched those in the show. I felt like there was way too much swearing. I also felt like the story wasn't very coherent. It was hard for me to get through this book.
Mat Ma
Sep 15, 2011 Mat Ma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book fits into the bingo board "A book with a male protagonist"
Because my mum suggested it to me as it was a very old book both my brothers read as a child
I liked the cases they had to solve, they were interesting
I didn't like the ending, it was quite confusing to understand.
I didn't learn anything from this book
I didn't notice anything unusual from this book
An interesting quote from this book is "I screwed up.' Her hands again. 'Damnit, I screwed up.'
'Nope' [Mulder] said... 'If I was dead,
  • Ruins
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • The X-Files: Fight the Future
  • X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)
  • The Truth Is Out There: The Official Guide to the X Files, Volume One
  • Squeeze (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #4)
  • I Want to Believe: The Official Guide to The X-Files Volume III
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume II
  • The Unofficial X-Files Companion: An X-Phile's Guide to the Mysteries, Conspiracies, and Really Strange Truths Behind the Show
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe
  • Clark's Law
  • The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name
  • Blood Oath
  • Accusations
  • The Long Night of Centauri Prime (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, #1)
Charles Lewis Grant was a novelist and short story writer specializing in what he called "dark fantasy" and "quiet horror." He also wrote under the pseudonyms of Geoffrey Marsh, Lionel Fenn, Simon Lake, Felicia Andrews, and Deborah Lewis.

Grant won a World Fantasy Award for his novella collection Nightmare Seasons, a Nebula Award in 1976 for his short story "A Crowd of Shadows", and another Nebula
More about Charles L. Grant...

X-Files (8 books)
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
  • Ground Zero
  • Ruins
  • Antibodies
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • The X-Files: Fight the Future
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe

“I want us to cool down for a while before we end up on horses' said Scully.

'What?' Hank asked.

'A definition of confusion.' Mulder explained, hands clasped behind his head. 'He jumped up on his horse and rode off in all directions.' He winked. 'Scully likes wise sayings like that. She hoardes fortune cookies you know.”
11 likes
“You're supposed to be sleeping'

Mulder didn't jump, didn't turn his head. 'The day you figure out how to turn off my brain Scully let me know.' He shook his head, but carefully. 'Amazing isn't it?'

'Your brain?' She leaned her forearms on the railing. 'It's okay but I wouldn't call it amazing.”
6 likes