Start by marking “Rebel Heart (Engines of Liberty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rebel Heart (Engines of Liberty, #1)

Rebel Heart (Engines of Liberty, #1)

The America you never knew, shaped by a Britain that never was...

King Charles the First rules a quarter of the Earth, controlling his colonies with a legion of ruthless mages. Like any ruler drunk on his own power, he abuses his subjects, knowing that they lack the means to retaliate.

In the year 1776, one distant colony mounted a serious attempt at revolution, using nothin
Published 2014 by DreadPennies

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel Heart

Andrew
Aug 19, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of reading a book called "Rebel Heart", written by Graham Bradley. (When searching for the book I highly recommend searching for the author's name. You have been warned!)

The book is based on a simple premise: What if the British Empire had used magic to expand it's borders? Basically, the British empire sent over mages, wielding powerful magic, to suppress and control their colonies. Because of that, the American colonies never successfully one their war of ind
Zach
May 28, 2014 Zach rated it it was amazing
As young adult fiction goes, Rebel Heart is fast-paced, engaging, and multidimensional.

The setting is an alternate America, whose history and name as we know it evolved differently because the British—magic-wielding mages—were able to use their superior power to overwhelm the magicless war hero George Washington.

Because technology threatened to nullify the advantage magic provided, the British outlawed it—a proscription that they zealously and jealously enforced.

The technomancers—an underground
Graham Bradley
May 20, 2014 Graham Bradley added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I suppose it counts as reading if you also wrote it? :-)

As a matter of personal taste, I've opted not to rate my own books. Obviously I'd give it five stars, but that doesn't matter. This is Goodreads, not Goodwrites, so I leave that judgment up to you.

Whatever your opinion of it, I am grateful to you for giving it a shot and reading my book. Thanks for your time!
Aviar Savijon
Mar 11, 2016 Aviar Savijon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebel Heart

A very good battle filled adventure set in a historical setting to make seem even more real. A firth published work by what seems to be a writer that I will be reading s lot more from.
Daron
Apr 13, 2015 Daron rated it really liked it
Harry Potter meets Steampunk meets the Revolutionary War... A really fun YA story that is a well-written page-turner. I could read more of these!
Robyn Echols
Aug 24, 2016 Robyn Echols rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, speculative
With trepidation I agreed to read this book. I normally do not read steampunk or stories that smack of magic or fantasy. However, even the forward pulled me in by revealing the author’s quirky sense of humor that appeals to me.

The first few chapters did not feel comfortable to me. For one thing, those poor Brits. For the past many decades they have been among the strongest allies of the United States, but they are the bad guys in this alternate universe set in 1984. Unfortunately, the alternate
Sep 09, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I liked the predicament of Calvin in a world of mages, yet not born with those abilities. His journey and perseverance kept me, as the reader, in a constant state of 'routing for the underdog'! I also really loved the idea of mimics...and I've put riding one on my imaginative/fantasy bucketlist! I did desired much more interaction/emotional detail when in came to sweet Amelia (fingers crossed, for book 2). And speaking of book 2, the ending was perfect, leaving me excited to jump into ...more
Lily Waterflower
Lily Waterflower rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Walter
Walter rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2016
Mindy
Mindy rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Alistair Ogilvie
Alistair Ogilvie rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Nguyen Quoc Thai
Nguyen Quoc Thai rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Marie Bordelon
Marie Bordelon rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Lord_of The_Books
Lord_of The_Books rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Garrett Alley
Garrett Alley rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2016
Shayla
Shayla marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Julie Daines
Julie Daines marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Ryelor
Ryelor marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jul 16, 2015
Hatta
Hatta marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Ben Wheatley
Ben Wheatley marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Tammy Pooser
Tammy Pooser marked it as to-read
Dr. Cole Marie Mckinnon
Dr. Cole Marie Mckinnon marked it as to-read
Vykki
Vykki marked it as to-read
Tom Townsend ii
Tom Townsend ii marked it as to-read
Barbara Zitsch
Barbara Zitsch marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kimberly Scherer
Kimberly Scherer marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Cheryl Bradley
Cheryl Bradley marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Anum
Anum marked it as to-read
Larry Hall
Larry Hall marked it as to-read
Cindy Hipolito
Cindy Hipolito marked it as to-read
Carolyn Poppell
Carolyn Poppell marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Laurence Austin
Laurence Austin marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Lee Whitney
Lee Whitney marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • Sapphire Flute (The Wolfchild Saga, #1)
  • Summer In Paris
  • Nexus Point
  • The Fourth Nephite (The Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • On Little Wings
  • Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2)
  • Cruel World
  • Water Keep (Farworld, #1)
  • Festival of Shadows
  • The Creaking Tree
  • The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits
  • Skinwalkers (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Green Light for Murder
  • Abraham Lincoln, His Speeches and Writings: His Speeches and Writings
  • Sunny Side Up (Lake Erie Mysteries #1)
  • The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)
  • Murder, Magic and Mayhem
5312011
Graham Bradley is a truck driver by trade, but has been writing since age eight, thanks to the encouragement of a childhood teacher, Mrs. Peplowski.

Likewise, his grandmother made him promise to "do something" with his knack for drawing, so he illustrates as well.

He is fluent in Spanish, and knows the proper method of ironing a dress shirt. Despite spending less than 6 hours of his entire life in I
More about Graham Bradley...