Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone

Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Ethan Ring is a former graphic design student with a dark and powerful secret. As an undergraduate, he and some classmates developed the ultimate in high-concept visual art: computerized images capable of bypassing rational thought and controlling the mind of the perceiver, whether for good or ill. When the reigning intelligence agency gets wind of Ethan's handiwork, he is...more
Published January 1st 1994 by Spectra

Mia
Ethan Ring and his friends stumble upon the discovery of fractals, visual images capable of directly affecting any person's thought and action, a foolproof mind control mechanism. Ethan is compelled to employ this discovery to serve the purposes of the government security agency. Curiosity and human ability can produce wondrous things, but human turpitude just as easily subverts them.

Ethan is wracked by guilt and shame for all he was compelled to do. He begins a pilgrimage, seeking atonement and...more
Brian
Remembering that this is set during a pilgrimage on Shikoku, I decided to reread this during my own pilgrimage there, last week. The language in this book is just captivating. I was experiencing goosebumps several times a day as I enjoyed re-experiencing this story. As enjoyable as the language and accuracy of the setting is, I still feel there are some core logical problems introduced in order to increase the symbolic elements, which I found distracting. Overall, a great read with better accura...more
Raj
Aug 28, 2010 Raj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
As a bright art design student, Ethan Ring helped discover fracters: the synthesis of images that bypass the mind and directly affect the brain, bringing healing, pain, freezing of time sense, death and more. He was later recruited by the European Security Forces as an agent but his troubled soul is now on a journey of self-discovery through Buddhist temples in Japan.

The mcguffin of this book is faintly ridiculous, but I was able to suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy it. I'm a fan of McDonald'...more
Cheryl Anne
This novel is a slim but powerful vision of 21st-century Japan and a guilt-ridden man's journey through it toward redemption. This is a brief but surprisingly satisfying tale, the full range of his versatile talent is on display as he merges Zen philosophy with cyberspace performance art in a high-tech contemplation of good and evil. A rare combination of suspenseful storytelling and thought-provoking ideas.
Zachary Jernigan
OBJECTIVE RATING (my best stab at looking at the book's merits, regardless of whether or not I enjoyed it all that much): 4

PERSONAL RATING (how much the book "worked" for me personally): 5

A concise, nearly flawless short novel of redemption. Ian McDonald's most propulsively readable book -- one which is sadly ignored.
Joshua Zucker
A fascinating premise and a great setting and the backstory of the characters was really engaging, but the actual plot (and the ending) didn't really grab me. I wanted to know more about how the characters got to that point, and what happened afterwards, instead of what actually happened in the story.

Tommy
Jul 06, 2010 Tommy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Quite lyrical - more like a long poem than a book. I think this will be getting a better review if I re-read it. Probably take a few re-reads to get under the skin of it. Worth the effort though as I know there is more there to think about.
Eija
Kun kirjaa olen yrittänyt lukea, ehkei ole ollut sopiva mielentila sillä tarina tuntui sekavalta ja jaksoin lukea vain alkua. Kirja tuntuu vaativan paljon keskittymistä, että jotain tolkkua saa.
Jaime
Mediana novela cyberpunk ubicada en Japon, viene acompañada de otra novela corta de space opera llamada The tear, esa otra obra si es fuera de serie
Jeremy Meyers
Cyberpunky in tone. Short. Pretty good, not amazing. Would have liked an expanded version to set the stakes a little higher.
Katja
I perhaps should have concentrated better to get something out of it.
Mr. Muffin
Mr. Muffin is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Gardy
Gardy is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Nadia Z.
Nadia Z. is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2014
Matthieu Hausig
Matthieu Hausig marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Leonardo
Leonardo marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Mike Franklin
Mike Franklin marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Steve M
Steve M marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Ian Neil McDonald was born in 1960 in Manchester, England, to an Irish mother and a Scottish father. He moved with his family to Northern Ireland in 1965. He used to live in a house built in the back garden of C. S. Lewis’s childhood home but has since moved to central Belfast, where he now lives, exploring interests like cats, contemplative religion, bonsai, bicycles, and comic-book collecting. H...more
More about Ian McDonald...
River of Gods (India 2047, #1) The Dervish House Brasyl Desolation Road (Desolation Road Universe, #1) Cyberabad Days

“Her face had always held too much personality to be merely beautiful.” 3 likes
“Sensitive dependence on initial conditions; one word, one act, can change the world. Well they named it chaos theory.” 1 likes