Start by marking “Cigar: America's Horse” as Want to Read:
Cigar: America's Horse

Cigar: America's Horse

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The fascinating story of the most talked about Thoroughbred since Secretariat. Chronicled from birth through an illustrious racing career to his subsequent retirement at The Kentucky Horse Park. Winner of publishing's Benjamin Franklin Award!
Published November 25th 1999 by Eclipse Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cigar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cigar

I really enjoyed learning more about Cigar - his personality, his upbringing, the hurdles he overcame. It made his success all the more special. I also enjoyed the writer's style regarding retelling of races - even though I knew the outcome of each race, I still found myself hanging in suspense!

What I did not like about this book was the many, many, many extraneous details. I just wanted to learn about Cigar, not every single horse, person or light bulb that he ever encountered. However, if you
Siena
Oct 22, 2014 Siena marked it as to-read
Haven't read it yet but I have always loved Cigar so sad that he passed away about a month ago. He truly was America's horse. I got the chance to see him 3 times once when I was just a baby once about 4 years ago and another time the day before he passed He was an inspirational gorgeous and incredible horse he always seemed to be happy frolicking in his field Hopefully he is in greener pastures now. Thank you Cigar for being the horse you were and touching so many lives. You are the reason why I ...more
Wendy
Cigar was one of the great racehorses of our time, and I very much enjoyed reading about him. I've had the joy of visiting Cigar at his home at the Kentucky Horse Park twice--once when I was almost too young to remember, and more recently in 2011. He still has all the spunk and verve that made him so successful on the racetrack. Hopefully he'll be with us for many more years.

My only qualm with the book itself was the sometimes confusing writing...Hovdey lost himself in his own eloquence at times
Bellarush
I love Cigar. That is all. haha!
Shyloh
Shyloh marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Timothy Pettine
Timothy Pettine marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Richelle Workman runyon
Richelle Workman runyon marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Gena
Gena marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Stephanie Hammerer
Stephanie Hammerer marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Merri Melde
Merri Melde marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Taylor Cox
Taylor Cox marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Amanda
Amanda added it
Aug 23, 2013
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Inside Horse Racing Long Rein: Tales from the World of Horse Racing Cigar: America's Horse