Start by marking “Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality” as Want to Read:
Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality

Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Today, more and more of us are growing up in abnormal families and hostile environments, and, consequently, we don't understand the basics of friendship or hospitality. Many moderns, even Christians, try to deny the importance of these virtues by sinking deeper into their selfishness, only to complain of greater loneliness. In this book, Steve Wilkins seeks to call us back ...more
Published December 3rd 2005 by Canon Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Face to Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face to Face

Ellen
Feb 04, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
Very good read. I think it was compiled from a series of Wilkins' sermons, so the tone is very conversational/approachable. Beautiful stuff about the human need for friendship, how friendship reflects the nature of God, conflict resolution, the beauty of grace displayed in Christian hospitality, etc.

"No one can find perfect people to befriend---people who never disappoint you or sin against you. A perfect friend would require very little sacrifice; anyone could be a friend to an angel. We are c
M.G. Bianco
Feb 19, 2013 M.G. Bianco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, non-fiction
This was an excellent book. Pastor Wilkins presents exactly what every Christian needs to know about friendship, friendliness, and hospitality. There are two groups that definitely must read this book: churches and parents.

Churches. If you are in a church and want to see your church family grow closer together, you need to be practicing Biblical friendship and hospitality. You need to be pursuing these things. You need this book.

Parents. If you are the parent of any number of children, you need
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 Terri rated it it was ok
Shelves: hospitality
The material is good. First part covers friendship, the second part covers hospitality.

Wilkins says we need friends; they aren't optional but rather a necessity if we are to be full, well-rounded and complete. We often lack real friends and have acquaintances as a poor substitute because real friendship requires lots of time, much sacrifice, and unfailing love.

Hospitality is a chore, that's why most people practice it sparingly. You should be as hospitable as time and circumstance allow. We shou
Mystie Winckler
Sep 19, 2011 Mystie Winckler rated it liked it
Wilkins divides this book into two parts: Part one is about the necessity of friendship, and part two is about the necessity of hospitality.

On friendship, Wilkins maintains that having one or two close friends is vital, not optional, not simply a nice thing if it works out. We are created finite, dependent, and social. Friendship is something to pray about, seek out, and invest in, not only for our children, but for ourselves as well. Friendships do not happen incidentally, they require an inves
Brian
Nov 10, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
I love books that cover all the important stuff very directly, with no fluffy sentimentalism. This is a outstanding book about the important subjects of friendship and hospitality from a biblical perspective.

The book covers the necessity and obligations of friendship, what a true friendship looks like, justice, mercy, love and goodworks in cultivating friendships, and also how we can destroy friendships with slander, gossip, & false flattery. Pastor Wilkins draws from scripture verses and bi
Katherine
Nov 16, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Inspiring! Having recently been welcomed by a group of people who do very well at hospitality, and recognizing that showing our kids how to do this well will be a very important part of their education, I hope to put many of the suggestions in this book into practice in the coming year. It will take conscious effort (particularly because of the difficulties involved in having little children), but that is one of the strongest points in the book: that hospitality should not only be practiced when ...more
Chris Comis
Very helpful. Read through this with our parish group. I think everyone came away the better for it.
Steve Hemmeke
Aug 11, 2011 Steve Hemmeke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Wilkins says many things the modern church needs to hear. Wilkins tends to repeat themes from chapter to chapter, but it’s important enough to go through. In our digital world we lack deep friendships and often even the basic social courtesies of life. We need to recover a life of sacrificial love for our neighbor, as Christ loved us and gave Himself for us. Hospitality is a key ingredient to this love. Recovering a hospitable heart toward others will make us more Christ-like and witness t ...more
Paul Leavitt
Oct 04, 2014 Paul Leavitt rated it it was amazing
A thought provoking detail of the biblical subject of hospitality. Steve Wilkins does a very good on of covering the various aspects that biblical friendship and hospitality entails. I received many good thoughts, and was convicted many a'time as I read through this little gem. If you're running a household, wanting to have more people over, or simply looking to have a more biblical perspective on God glorifying friendships, this is a tremendous resource.
Peter B.
Jul 02, 2014 Peter B. rated it liked it
Shelves: culture, family-life
This book was developed from some of Wilkins' sermons and it certainly reflects his sermon style. It does a good job covering the biblical motivations, nature, duties, and benefits of friendship and hospitality.
Missjgray
Nov 21, 2010 Missjgray rated it liked it
A quick re-read.

Wilkins' scattered style was a little irritating and hard to follow, but he had a lot of interesting things to say.

Particularly interesting was the discussion about a lifestyle or habit of hospitality. It's not just about having some people over for dinner. It's looking out for them, loving them, figuring out how to meet their needs.
Becky Pliego
Read this for second time in January 2014. This time I read it at a slower pace taking lots of notes. Wilkins uses the Word and his words in such a way that he is convicting, challenging, and timely.

Buy two of this: One for you and another to give as a gift. We all need to read this pronto! (Read it first time in September 2013)
Peter N.
Jul 06, 2009 Peter N. rated it it was amazing
I give this book four stars, not because it is a classic, nor because it was perfectly writting, but because it is so necessary in today's culture. We are a lonely culture that does not understand community, friendship and hospitality. Wilkins book is the best I have found for starting to fix this situation. It is a must read.
Megan
Jan 20, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology-ethics
A good read, especially the section on hospitality. I had never considered hospitality being commanded in Scripture, but Wilkins makes a strong case that it is, and he points out many more blessings that hospitality affords to do host, guest, and Church body than I had ever considered.
Don Schellhammer
Mar 07, 2009 Don Schellhammer rated it it was amazing
Edifying comments on friendship while addressing the biblical commands regarding hospitality. Steve Wilkins frames friendship and hospitality in a covental context. Great for use by all members of the church and church officers.
James
Mar 10, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Excellent book - I highly recommend it! I just finished using this book in a christian education class for adults and believe it to be very important subject matter that is well handled...
Abe Goolsby
Jan 31, 2010 Abe Goolsby rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
An exploration of the importance of friendship and hospitality as essential components of the Christian walk. Insightful, convicting and rich in practical advice.
Charlie
Aug 07, 2009 Charlie rated it really liked it
I had never thought of hospitality as a calling/duty of a Christian. It was a good book and one that would be fun to do a book study on.
Steve Hemmeke
Jul 27, 2009 Steve Hemmeke rated it really liked it
Hospitality. Whattabook. A bit light on practical application, after thoroughly demonstrating the need.
Uri Brito
Aug 11, 2009 Uri Brito rated it really liked it
Our congregation has profited greatly from this shorty treatise...the church conquers through service.
Molly Miltenberger
Thank you, Rev. Wilkins, for an excellent and encouraging review of how to create and upkeep a relationship!
James
Aug 17, 2011 James added it
I wish more people would read this and follow the principle set forth in this wonderful work.
Michael
Mar 15, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Well stated arguments and very edifying.
David
Sep 08, 2010 David rated it liked it
All true but just not a really fun book to read.
Douglas Wilson
Really good.
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Zared Martorana
Zared Martorana marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Deon
Deon marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Blessed Are the Hungry: Meditations on the Lord's Supper
  • Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Bed And Board: Plain Talk About Marriage
J. Steven Wilkins has been pastor of Auburn Avenue Presbyterian Church in Monroe, Louisiana since 1989. He and his wife Wendy have six children and six grandchildren.
More about Steve Wilkins...