Start by marking “Big Big Sky” as Want to Read:
Big Big Sky

Big Big Sky

2009 Rainbow List Nominee
On Resource Link's "Best of 2008" List
"Sometimes it's harder to kill than pod might think.
I crouch in the dark, stare into the manimal's shining eyes.
It blinks right at me. It shakes in fear. Its thrumping furred chest quickens my own pulse. The thing wave-sends a sonic roll of pure emo: terror, disbelief, and a wee glimmer of hope..."

Rustle is
Published March 1st 2008 by Red Deer Press (first published February 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Big Big Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Big Sky

CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
This book was wonderfully weird. I would be pretty select about who I might recommend this too, but I really liked it. The characters, despite being brain-washed assassins, were really compelling and complex. The dystopian world-building was super interesting...especially the use of this futuristic slang, which took me quite a while to get used to. Unlike other YA SF/F I've read lately, the stakes are pretty high in this book: you are actually worried about characters dying. Also, this book is s ...more
Tina
Apr 04, 2011 Tina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi readers
Recommended to Tina by: My friend Sam
I quickly became addicted to this book - the characters are very compelling despite being brainwashed assassins, and their emotions and actions seemed realistic. I loved the setting and the concept as it was such a cool take on the alien/post-apocalyptic genre. The great thing about the novel is that it raises so many unanswered questions: what year it it? Why are the assassins only female? What country are they in? Where did the ScanMans come from? It's actually more intriguing that these quest ...more
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Big Big Sky is a techno-futuristic, rage against the system, army girl sorority meets punk story, coloured in shades of neon against a grey world. The science fiction genre is Kristyn Dunnion’s playground as she paints a wired canvas that is a discourse for girl power (and sexuality) and the nature of unlearning the reality you’ve been fed; the reality that keeps you in check but, concurrently, denies you true freedom. The first-person narrative alternates between Rustle, Loo and Roku – three of ...more
Deltay
Aug 16, 2009 Deltay rated it it was ok
One Pod. The chilling mantra of Kristyn Dunnion’s futuristic science fiction book Big Big Sky draws parallels with the present world, exposes widely avoided truths, and forces readers to rethink the current situation of the world.

ScanMans, an alien world, have taken over the ravaged remains of the earth, dominating the lives of every Pod, controlling every aspect of their more or less meaningless existence. These Pods are fighting machines, trained to do this and nothing less. But as they reach
Vincentvanstop
Mar 10, 2013 Vincentvanstop rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buyable
This book balances humor and agony with a twist of transmutation and cloning. What a fun and sad romp. The language everyone mentions seems vital and absurd enough to have a possible real exhistence. This book made me laugh and get teary-eyed.

I loved the amphibious experience of the dopey awakenings. It made me think of Ovid's 'The Metamorphoses':
"Taken by leaping madness or by fear
the men jumped into the sea. First Medon's body
changed color to darkest blue and hunched its back;
Lycabas turned to
Atomicgirl
Aug 06, 2008 Atomicgirl rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of women warrior fiction
Five genetically engineered female warriors have to fight for their existence.

I wanted to like this but the diction just got in the way. While not as dense as other science fiction literature, I felt dyslexic scrambling over the words to get to the meat of the adventure. Not a bad story, but you have to work at it.
Cece
Jul 23, 2013 Cece rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone that enjoys sci-fy, genetic mutation, and fiction.
Recommended to Cece by: Also, Amazon.
Another of my favorites by Kristyn Dunnion, Big BIg Sky takes an incredible left turn away from the reality of Mosh Pit into a world entirely different.
I never saw the ending coming, although the dialect used by the main characters is a little difficult to follow upon first reading.
Rae
Sep 27, 2012 Rae rated it really liked it
A great love, sci-fi,erotic, coming of age story. A unique blend that takes it's protagonists into unique, and at times heartbreaking situations.
A lesbian take on The Chrysalides is probably the closest thing I can relate this to haha
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Toby Wiggins
Toby Wiggins rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2011
Elisabeth Dislikesyou
Elisabeth Dislikesyou rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Nick Merlini
Nick Merlini rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2014
Joel A.
Joel A. rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2010
Shea
Shea rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2011
PaksGeneral
PaksGeneral rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
GB Jones
GB Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Kasey Keeley
Kasey Keeley rated it it was ok
May 20, 2016
Victor Uthayaraj Fernando
Victor Uthayaraj Fernando rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Kathy Gray
Kathy Gray rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Claire Maclennan
Claire Maclennan rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Anthony R
Anthony R rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2008
Meaghen
Meaghen rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2010
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2016
Inanna
Inanna rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Kiki
Kiki rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2014
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2016
Alice Amaris
Alice Amaris rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2013
Hungry Changeling
Hungry Changeling rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
  • The Necessary Hunger
  • Till Death Do Us Part
  • What Night Brings
  • Secret Lies
Kristyn Dunnion's academic pedigree is matched only by her punk credentials. She studied English and Theatre at McGill and holds a Masters in English. She's also the bass player for a dykemetal band called Heavy Filth and is known to host burlesque parties and drag king shows.

She currently lives in Toronto.
More about Kristyn Dunnion...