Start by marking “Black Ice” as Want to Read:
Black Ice

Black Ice

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  5,511 ratings  ·  1,126 reviews
Danger is hard to resist in this sexy thriller from Becca Fitzpatrick, the New York Times bestselling author of the Hush, Hush saga.

Brit Pheiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to
Published October 7th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Black Ice, please sign up.

Jenny Jo It is, but I hope Becca decides to continue their story and makes it into a series. There's always hoping :-)
Jenny Jo I hope so! I can already imagine it. I would love if they do make a movie out of this book!
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
47th out of 2,592 books — 15,724 voters
YA Novels of 2014
39th out of 1,436 books — 7,373 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
...for a minute there, I’d thought I was going to have to save myself. Instead, I’d wandered into the protective care of a sexy older man.
It is easy to criticize the Orson Scott Cards of the world for their misogyny and hatred of women within novels, but the fact remains that the Bella Swans, the Luce Prices, the Bethany Churches of this world are written by female authors. It is a tragic, depressing fact, made more so that it feels like a betrayal of one's gender.

This is a fairytale, because i
Emily May
Allow me to summarize this book: Two extremely irritating and stupid teenage girls do stupid things to put themselves in danger and then the MC spends the rest of the novel somewhere between lusting after one of her captors and hoping to be saved by her ex who cheated on her. THE END.

So maybe I was asking for it because I hated Hush, Hush, but I was genuinely curious to see if/how Fitzpatrick's writing had improved and changed over the last few years. I believe in second chances... god help me.
Ariel
*exhales slowly*

This is officially the worst book I've read this year. I was skeptical going in, I haven't heard great things about this author's popular series, but I went in with an open mind ... Which quickly closed again because from page one this book was a nightmare.

Why I hated it?
- The plot is ridiculous. It has a bunch of twists and turns, sure, but they're of the headdesk variety. They don't feel clever, they just feel frustrating.
- The characters are so dumb. Oh my god. They were cons
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read

Don't you hate it that people haven't even read this book and are already judging it. Saying it's going to be bad. It's like seriously if your going to go in with a negative point of view why bother reading it at all? I hate reading reviews where people don't even want to give the book a chance they just want to bash it. Yeah I get it not all books are great and deserve praise but at least give it a chance before you bash it.

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
OH MY HECK.

That was one entertaining ride!

Things the I loved:
- I liked the overall atmosphere/setting of this book. I know that the LAST place I would want to be stranded and taken hostage would be in the mountains when it's snowing. THAT WOULD BE THE ABSOLUTE WORST.
- Even though I thought the plot was a bit predictable at times, I still had several moments where I was SCREAMING at my book "WHO DO I TRUST? WHO'S THE BAD GUY? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE? WHO'S GOING TO DIE?".
- The ending was satisfy
Kat O'Keeffe
Pros - I really liked the setting and there was some good tension. The mystery was interesting and engaging (although a bit predictable). Even though it was frustrating at times, for the most part I still had fun and enjoyed the reading experience.

Cons - the characters made some really dumb decisions and I just didn't care enough about them to be completely invested. Some aspects of the story were pretty far-fetched and a few plot threads were just left dangling.

Overall - It wasn't amazing, but
Wendy Darling
This showed up on my doorstep unexpectedly, and I gave it a chance because I'd seen some surprisingly positive reactions among friends. I say "surprising" because I absolutely loathed Hush, Hush--suffice to say that years after reading it, I still don't know if there's a YA couple that I dislike more.

It's true that Black Ice is entertaining and kept my interest, more than most YA thrillers, though I'm admittedly hard on the genre in this age category. It's not unlike adult romantic thrillers yo
Christine Riccio
Entertaining at parts -- but to bogged down by long stretches of actionlessness and frustrating characters for me to enjoy it. Here's my booktalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNDWr...
Lola

Hmm, this is a hard one to review. While I would change a few—many—things about the characters, I still enjoyed it and found it suspenseful and unpredictable.

I did see some things happening but then there were always those details and new information that made me doubt. It was pretty well done. The author did a good job stepping from paranormal (Hush, Hush) to thriller. I was surprised by the course of events in the plot.

The way this story begins, you will think that maybe it’s going to be one
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
THAT COVER.
THAT BLURB.
AND WRITTEN BY BECCA FITZPATRICK?

I am sold. You better live up to my expectations.
Can't wait!
Annerooo
Jul 27, 2013 Annerooo marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-release
"Like Hush, Hush, the inspiration behind Black Ice comes from my own experiences during my teen years."

This sounds somewhat suspicious.
I'm going to warn you in advance that this isn't going to be a proper review - it's going to be a rant about all the reasons why I think this is the worst book I've attempted to read this year. This will include swearing and it'll probably include spoilers but since I only managed to force myself to read the first 91 pages I can't see that I'll be able to give away anything major. Either way you continue reading this at your own risk!

Let's start with the main characters. When I pick up a book to
Kassidy
*3.5*

This book entertained me and kept me guessing. I really enjoyed the mystery elements and how I could not trust anyone, but the book does have some flaws.

With this book, everything good that I like about it, there is something that I don't like so much.
I was very intrigued by the characters and their motives. I couldn't wait to find out the truth. However, the main character is a little vanilla. She did not have any qualities that made me really like her, she was just there. She also says/do
2 ∞ & ➳ { taruni } ~ once, in a lifetime, you were mine~
aw, if Hush, Hush isn't enough, Becca went ahead and started a new series.

Becca, I'm still paralyzed with the fangirling and admiration for Patch. AND NOW I HAVE ANOTHER BOOK TO TAKE AWAY ANY TRACES OF MY NORMALCY THAT HUSH, HUSH MISSED TO TAKE AWAY?

I will not stand for this. I call for justice. It's wrong to hypnotize people with your writing.

Eh, oh well, it's not like I have a social life, anyways. I'm just gonna...you know...pop some popcorn, saddle into my bed, and turn pages of your new b
Giselle
There is a lot I could complain about with this book, but I was still strangely entertained by it all. I also think the fact that it was an audiobook made me enjoy it more than if I had read a paper copy - the narrator was great and really brought the MC to life. As if she was telling me her story.

But man, the romance. *pokes out eyeballs*. First, I'm sorry but that was totally Stockholm Syndrome. Or at least it started that way, which creeped me out more than it made me swoon. This dude is forc
Laz
Nov 02, 2014 Laz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
This was a really intense book. I loved it. It's one of the best books to come out this year.

Britt Pfeiffer is a 17-year-old girl who goes on a trip with her best friend, chaperoned by her best friend's brother and ex-boyfriend of hers. The two friends set out on a car but the weather gets out of hand and they are stranded alone in their vehicle with no connection to the outside world. They decide to seek out a cabin and stay warm otherwise they'll freeze to death. They find a cabin and they kno
Sarah (saz101)
You know, I run hot and cold with Becca's books. I love/hate the Hush, Hush books. But it's not really a question, is it? Of COURSE I'm going to read this.

And if I wasn't convinced, this is what seals it: "BLACK ICE is gritty and frightening, twisty and sexy. There's a touch of paranormal. The stakes are high and there is a definite case of it's-not-what-it-seems going on..."

What I loved most about Hush, Hush (and missed in Crescendo), was the WTFery. The creepiness, the never quite knowing if N
Jen
Excellent book! I loved every minute of it!
Review To Come!!!
Nereyda Gonzalez
Black Ice was one my most anticipated books of 2014. I love the cover, I love the premise, I wanted to get my hands on it! When I finally did, I was so nervous to read it. I was hoping that this wouldn’t be a let down and I put this off. I’m very glad to say that this wasn’t a disappointment. I didn’t love it like I was hoping, but I really enjoyed it. I did have some issues with it, some characters drove me crazy, some parts bored me, some parts were predictable, but I was still entertained mos ...more
Shreya (CCReviews)
Dec 25, 2012 Shreya (CCReviews) marked it as to-read
HOLY!!!!!!! I WAS NOT AWARE SHE WAS WRITING MORE BOOKS!! AHHHHH!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Alyssa
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Publication Date: October 7, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Sometimes danger is hard to see... until it’s too late.

The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger
Review Originally Posted At: : The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger

Thrilling, mysterious and completely captivating! Although most of my experience with YA standalone novels has been with contemporary romances, Black Ice opened my eyes to a side of YA I had never had much interest in exploring before. Okay, so yes this book does have some romance in it, but what really makes Black Ice so great is the core focus on murder, secrets and shady pasts.

Basic summary of the storyline? Two best-friends named Britt
Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book)
Black Ice is one of the most intense and suspenseful books that I have read so far this year. This book is just absolutely phenomenal. This is one of those books that is the DEFINITION of page turner!!!! I mean...just WOW... Black Ice is in a league of its own in the YA industry. It has it all...I mean there just aren't enough words to describe how incredible this book is! and that cover!!??? Seriously? It just portrays the image of danger and suspense.....

Britt Pfeiffer is one of those characte
Cass -  Words on Paper
Oct 01, 2012 Cass - Words on Paper marked it as top-wishlist
Shelves: 2013-release
1) "...takes place against the treacherous backdrop of the mountains of Wyoming"

2) Part psychological thriller, part survival with a touch of the paranormal.

3) Standalone novel

They ask: Do you want?
I say: Heckyeah!

So I haven't read Hush, Hush but this one has all the right flavours...
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Black Ice is a surprisingly exciting YA contemporary thriller, full of twists and heart-stopping moments. Thrillers finally seem to be finding their place in the YA market and I couldn’t be happier about it. This being my first encounter with Becca Fitzpatrick’s work, I didn’t quite know what to expect, but I needn’t have feared. Her control over the story is absolute, her sense of pacing is quite good, and her characters are flawlessly created, three-dimensional and very much alive.

Throughout
Kirsty (overflowing library)
This book is truly awful. I wish I had something nice I could say about it but I really can't.

To start with I hated every single character with a passion. The main character Britt was a complete brat. She was self entitled and had this big thing about being independent and tough. However she was stupid and naive. She walked into stupid situations without thinking. I hated her best friend (kadie? Kodie? Whatever ...) she was even dimmer than her friend and a complete bitch to the girl who was su
Alexis Salcido
Nope. Cannot stand the MC. Let me just leave you with a few quotes from Britt. "I padded barefoot through the aisles looking for Twizzlers and Cheez-Its, thinking that if Willie didn't like pumping my gas he should really get another job."

"I craned my neck to look at him and put on my best little girl pout. "I need money for gas, Daddy."

"My cell phone blared Rod Steward crooning, "If you want my body," and I held off answering for a moment so I could belt out the "and you think I'm sexy" part al
Sue (YAHollywood)
Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

This book is not for everyone. There are handful of moments that would make some readers uncomfortable, squirm on their seats and rage. I guess I read it with the right mindset.

In a nutshell Black Ice seems like another shoddy attempt at a mystery – thriller book, but I kid you not…this is actually a stellar standalone novel. Not everyone is going to love Black Ice while others will absolutely devour it. That’s a fact and a logic that works for every b
ke-sha
UpDate 12/24/2014:
So Here is link to my Non-Spoiler Review:

I have a Spoiler Review In the works but its taking some time since I basically have to reread the book *Eye Roll*
Thanks to Alyssa (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6...) who volunteered to go over this review (and The Future Spoiler Review) and it
was Bad haha and she made it more coherent because before it was just some ranty mess which even I barely understand at times.

Update 10/29/2014:
I'm wo
Natalie Monroe
May 21, 2014 Natalie Monroe marked it as morbidly-curious
Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.

In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she
SCPL Teens: Black Ice: Thrilling? Chilling? 1 3 Dec 18, 2014 07:43AM
Goodreads YA—Ask Becca Fitzpatrick a question! 18 77 Dec 08, 2014 05:26PM
Crazy for Young A...: ✔Pair 6: Ramneek and Agnès (December 2014) 47 110 Dec 04, 2014 12:03AM
WHO LOVES THIS?! 16 55 Nov 29, 2014 06:51PM
Crazy for Young A...: Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick→ Start Date: November 16th 2014 26 49 Nov 19, 2014 10:45PM
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Black Ice 1 3 Nov 12, 2014 10:55AM
  • Talon (Talon, #1)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Blackbird (Blackbird, #1)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • The Glass Arrow
  • Beware the Wild
  • The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark, #1)
  • Let the Storm Break (Let the Sky Fall, #2)
  • Get Even (Don't Get Mad, #1)
  • Wings (Black City, #3)
  • Unmarked (The Legion, #2)
  • The Fearless
  • Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
Becca Fitzpatrick grew up reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden with a flashlight under the covers. She graduated college with a degree in health, which she promptly abandoned for storytelling. When not writing, she's most likely prowling sale racks for reject shoes, running, or watching crime dramas on TV. She is the author of the bestselling HUSH, HUSH Saga. Her new book BLACK ICE arrives in book ...more
More about Becca Fitzpatrick...
Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) Silence (Hush, Hush, #3) Finale (Hush, Hush, #4) Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush: The Graphic Novel, #1)

“They say that when you're about to die, your life flashes before your eyes. They never tell you that when you watch someone you once loved dying, hovering between this life and the next, it's twice as painful, because you're reliving two lives that traveled one road together.” 37 likes
“When was the last time you were kissed?" he went on easily.
"And I'm not talking about the dry, noncommittal, meaningless kiss you forget about as soon as it's over." I scrambled out of my stupor long enough to quip, "Like last night's kiss?"
He cocked an eyebrow.
"That so? I wonder, then, why you moaned my name after you drifted to sleep."
"I did not!"
"If only I'd had a video recorder. When was the last time you were really kissed?" he repeated."You seriously think I'm going to tell you?" "Your ex?" he guessed. "And if he was?"
"Was it your ex who taught you to be ashamed and uncomfortable with intimacy? He took from you what he wanted, but never seemed to be around when you wanted something back, isn't that right? What do you want, Britt?" he asked me point-blank.
"Do you really want to pretend like last night never happened?"
"Whatever happened between me and Calvin isn't your business,” I fired back.
"For your information, he was a really great boyfriend. I-I wish I was with him right now!" I exclaimed untruthfully.
My careless comment made him flinch, but he recovered quickly.
"Does he love you?"
"What?" I said, flustered.
"If you know him so well, it shouldn't be a hard question. Is he in love with you? Was he ever in love with you?"
I tossed my head back haughtily. "I know what you're doing. You're trying to cut him down because you're-you're jealous of him!"
"You're damn right I'm jealous,” he growled. "When I kiss a girl, I like to know she's thinking about me, not the fool who gave her up.”
19 likes