Start by marking “Virgin” as Want to Read:
Virgin

Virgin

F. Paul Wilson, author of the 'Repairman Jack' series of novels, presents an intelligent global thriller with religious themes.
Published May 29th 2007 by Borderlands Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virgin

Alejandro
Feb 12, 2015 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best novels that you probably never heard about it

WHAT HAPPENED WITH THOSE FOUR YEARS?!!!

This is a novel that many people hadn't read or even they know that exist, and it's a shame, since it was one of the novels that I enjoyed the most.

It's not in my "Favorites" virtual shelf, only because the 10 books limit that I chose myself to do there and in the "religion" genre I already have The Secret Magdalene but if it wasn't for that, this book would be there without a doubt.

Still, thi
Alejandro
Jul 01, 2016 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
I read this novel on its original edition when the author used a pseudonym with his wife's maiden name. I knew this thanks to a fellow reader Sean, that he was so kind to comment it about on my original review of the book.

If you wish to check the link of the original edition of the book, you can do it... HERE.

One of the best novels that you probably never heard about it

WHAT HAPPENED WITH THOSE FOUR YEARS?!!!

Danny Tyran
Feb 13, 2014 Danny Tyran rated it really liked it
"Let’s call it a religious thriller. When you were raised Catholic, as I was, you never entirely loose your religion (REM). I don’t believe that Mary was the mother of God, but don’t you go talking her down. I don’t believe in the divinity of Jesus, but damn it, don’t you go peeing on crucifixes."

"The result was Virgin—a thriller about faith, about hope, about love and charity. And yet, for all its seeming orthodoxy, unquestionably subversive. It will offend some and bring joy to others. I hope
Dhen Dhen
Aug 21, 2015 Dhen Dhen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Upon knowing that this book is about the body of the Virgin Mary not rising into heaven and is somewhere hidden on Earth, I knew this one will be hella good.

This is one of my favorite conspiracies towards the beliefs of the Catholic Church (I don't even know why I have a favorite).

I love the idea that Mary not assuming into heaven is possible. Nobody really saw it, right? We only have the Bible to tell us this, but how do we know it's not just a fairy tale?

The book's characters were honest. Ea
Rose
Mar 26, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Ultimate Supernatural Horror Box Set. I bought it because Blake Crouch and Jack Kilborn had books of theirs in this set and I knew I liked their writing, but I hadn't heard of F. Paul Wilson before.

This is a very Catholic/Christian based book but not a preachy one. Like The Da Vinci Code, Wilson uses religious stories as a backdrop for his own. I absolutely loved it...up until the end. I didn't hate the ending but this is where it really got supernatural and preach
Maryann Breedlove
Mar 02, 2014 Maryann Breedlove rated it it was amazing
5 stars for this story. Throughout, your mind races ahead knowing the story must lead to a well worn conclusion. NOT SO.. at many points in this story there are a multiple avenues the author could have branched off into another vein of thought and reach a different ending; produced a different story and that possibility, on its own, keeps the reader riveted.
The author has a wonderful descriptive ability which brings his visions into the theater of my mind. For me this is rare. The author writes
Steven
Oct 31, 2010 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, thriller
F Paul Wilson is one of my favorite writers and this book did not disappoint. This was an excellent thriller, a could not put it down thriller. I loved the denouement and F Paul's message. My only criticism is that there was a point where the action seemed a bit formulaic, and I wish the author had spent even more time developing the character's and their situations, but perhaps that is the mark of a good book and good writer--that I wanted more. The book seemed a bit atypical for Mr. Wilson; it ...more
Morbideus
Jun 22, 2009 Morbideus rated it really liked it
It's easy to throw this onto the pile of "It's like DaVinci Code," but this book goes far beyond. There's real spirituality in them thar pages, yet doesn't preach or try to sell you on any religion. In fact it does a bit of the opposite, while equally respectful (and non) to all of them equally.

As a staunch critic of religion in general, I had no difficulty whatsoever in granting the small amount of suspended disbelief Mr. Wilson asks of us. In addition to a gripping story with interesting char
Paul Baack
A very fun – and intelligent! – religious/supernatural thriller that tells its story of global consequences with a relatively small cast of characters. Like all of Wilson's novels, it's written with a headlong-rushing narrative drive reminiscent of the best pulp fiction, but also with a clear and lucid prose that doesn't insult the reader's intelligence. If you're a fan of the author's 'Repairman Jack' series, or his 'Adversary' cycle, you'll enjoy this standalone adventure (in that authorial st ...more
Roy
Oct 11, 2015 Roy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, religion, action
I loved the F. Paul Wilson Repairman Jack series but found some of his darker, closer to horror fiction not to my taste.
This is a straightforward story of a supernatural religious find in the a desert of Israel. The story unwinds to a satisfactory religious ending. It does not follow the teachings of any religious group and perhaps that makes it all more satisfying. In contrast to other works, this seems more light than dark.
Wilson is a very entertaining writer who knows how to tell a story, dev
Amanda
Apr 23, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok
There are a lot of positive reviews on GR for this novel, which were the main reason I read it, even though it wasn't particularly in my usual fields of interest. Simply, it just wasn't for me. I am sure that F Paul Wilson is a very adept author judging by his novels, and I dare say I will read others at a later date. But this book really wasn't for me, neither the subject matter nor the Dan Brown-esq plot. Sorry, just not my bag!
Steve Lee
Jul 02, 2015 Steve Lee rated it it was ok
For reason I am unsure of, I decided to get the Ultimate Supernatural Horror Box Set. This was one of the books included.

The writing was good and the characters were interesting enough, but the ending let it down somewhat and not enough happened to encourage me to read his other books or to have this one stay in my memory for very long.

Tepintzin
Jul 23, 2014 Tepintzin rated it liked it
Shelves: catholicism, fantasy
The summary given here is all I'd be willing to disclose about this book. It was a strange read, and there were things I liked about it and things I didn't. It did impress upon me that I need to try out the Repairman Jack series. I've only read "The Keep" out of all his work, and that one bears re-reading.
Angel
Mar 08, 2014 Angel rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
When I started reading this, I thought it was going to be a spooky ghost story because it was in a supernatural horror boxed set. So imagine my surprise when I realized it was about The Virgin Mary. I gave it two stars because this just isn't my thing, but the story itself was well-written.
Nicholas
Oct 22, 2015 Nicholas rated it it was ok
Decent premise, but it reads almost like a writing assignment. You can count each beat as the author hits it. The climax felt *very* rushed, and really should have had Keenan Ivory Wayans popping up, shouting "Message!"
J.F. Penn
Apr 20, 2014 J.F. Penn rated it really liked it
Interesting take on Virgin Mary myths and miracles. I read as part of horror boxSet and it's definitely NOT horror, more a Christian thriller. Enjoyable quick read
Angie Lisle
Apr 10, 2014 Angie Lisle rated it liked it
Not my favorite of Wilson's work simply because the supernatural-religious aspects made it hard for me to suspend my disbelief. However, I did enjoy the story's message but no spoilers.
Lorraine Barton
Aug 12, 2016 Lorraine Barton rated it really liked it
it was an odd book, intresting though. alot going on, several characters....it goes back and forth. Carrie and Dan have quite an adventure.
joepr
Jul 23, 2014 joepr rated it really liked it
i didnt care too much for the preaching in the end of the novel but the story is very entertaining.
Thea
Jul 04, 2014 Thea rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I think. I need to hang out with this one a little bit.

In the end, I just couldn't buy the big finish. Too much, too monster movie.

It didn't help that the characters felt cartoons, allegorical, but clumsily so. Their struggles didn't connect with me, their choices and actions sometimes seeming too pat, neatly connecting the plot lines to this Godzilla-level confrontation.

Good brain candy, fast read.
Alana
May 28, 2015 Alana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too preachy for a horror/thriller book.
Mike
Jul 22, 2014 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Not one of Mr. Wilson's better novels. Somewhat predictable at times and the ending was basically the equivalent of "Be Excellent to Each Other" from Bill and Ted ' s Excellent Adventure.
Elaine
Oct 10, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read. Very F. Paul Wilson. Nice blend of supernatural and fiction. Not too heavy and completely fantastic.
Craig Bolton
F. Paul Wilson's Virgin by F. Paul Wilson (2007)
Ruth E. R.
Ruth E. R. marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Sheila Reid
Sheila Reid marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Beruthiel
Beruthiel rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
If you don't already know, this is the same book and the actual author 1 3 Jun 06, 2013 12:39AM
  • All Smoke Rises: Milk-Blood Redux
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • Lucifer's Lottery
  • Learning to Kill
  • Adrift
  • The First Bird: Episode 3 (The First Bird, #3)
  • God Save the Mark
  • A Study in Red (The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • The Sandler Inquiry
  • Avatar Book One of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Cockfighter
  • Last Reveille
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
  • Timeline
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...