Start by marking “The Barrens and Others” as Want to Read:
The Barrens and Others

The Barrens and Others (The Secret History of the World)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"The Barrens and Others "is the first new collection of fiction in years by bestselling author F. Paul Wilson. From "The Keep," nearly twenty years ago, to this year's Legacies, Wilson has been one of the most dependable names for fine storytelling in whatever genre he chooses.
In "The Barren and Others," Wilson lets his fertile imagination run wild, traveling from the Old
Published December 1st 2000 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Barrens and Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barrens and Others

David
Dec 05, 2013 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Overall, not as good of a short story collection as this author's "Aftershock and Others". The strongest stories are the Monroe Triptych, which includes Faces, Feelings and Pelts, all scary and suspenseful stories around Monroe, NJ, which is essentially Wilson's equivalent to Stephen King's Derry, Maine. While not great, still a good read.
Penny
F. Paul Wilson is an excellent short story writer. I can't think of a story I disliked, and I like so many so well, it would be silly to mention them all.

"Bob Dylan, Trey Jonson, and the Speed Queen" is zippy. Yes, I said that.

He writes in all sorts of genres. It deserves 5. Will I give it that? Let me think a minute.

Amazing.
Tim Healy
This is pretty good stuff, overall. It's a collection of short stories that, for the most part, were written to be included in other anthologies. There is a Repairman Jack story in here that's worth reading. And several of the stories tie in to "The Secret History of the World". I'm trying, more or less, to follow through Wilson's chronology for whatever that might be worth. At this point, that called for "Faces", which is kind of a creepy little story of death and destruction. The best story in ...more
Коста  Сивов
За първи път се сблъсках с Ф. Пол Уилсън именно чрез този сборник с разкази. За мен беше невероятен начинът, по който авторът си служеше с темите, с героите, с декорите, с абсолютно всичко. Всяка една история от тази колекция е уникална по своята същност. Авторът си е позволил да твори и в няколко "споделени вселени" като тази на "Ктхулу митологията" на Хауърд Лъвкрафт с шедьовъра "Боровата пустош", чието име носи и заглавието на сборника, както и "Десетият пръст" от света на Док Холидей и Уайът ...more
Andrew Reeder
The book is very good (the author is best known for his Repairman Jack series and The Keep), but for me highpoint of the collection is the often reprinted novella, The Barrens, one of the best written horror stories of the last 25 years. The story first appeared in Weinberg & Greenberg’s Lovecraft’s Legacy (Nov 1990, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Robert E. Weinberg, published by Tor Books, 0-312-85091-3, $18.95, 334pp, hardcover, anthology) with cover art by Duncan Eagleson. However, I did not di ...more
Isabel
The plot of this novella is driven by Jonathan Creighton, a man who has never been satisfied with the course his life has taken and has begun to investigate things better left undisturbed. His ex-girlfriend Kathleen was born and brought up in the Pine Barrens, a huge almost deserted area existing on the heavily populated East coast of America, and he asks her to take him into the Pine Barrens, introduce him to the locals and persuade them to open up to him, claiming that he is researching a book ...more
Jesse
Oct 30, 2008 Jesse rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of horror, mystery, paranormal thrillers
Recommended to Jesse by: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn group
This is a fantastic book. Its a great jumping off point for someone like me who has never read F. Paul Wilson before. I got to see the mans range, and he does have quite a bit of that. We go from voodoo revenge story to Post-Lovecraft to a story about the Joker, while covering all points between and beyond. Weird West, tables being twisted on a grieving father, a man who can't stop eating, mutant serial-killers, even gnomes (or some kind of little fay folk) with strong feelings about home securi ...more
Alanis Garcia
Great collection of short stories.
The second that Wilson has published.
Along with the stories is a semi biography of each year of his life while these stories were written. Quite like a few of Asimov's personal collections the early Asimov, vol 1-3.
Mandy
Again, I didn't read every short story in the book so I didn't give it a rating. The stories I read were good and if you're a Batman fan, there's a story about the Joker that was interesting. The author wrote it for a Joker anthology. I felt that made this book stand out.

There were also more stories relating to Wilson's Secret History of the World which is why I picked it up. Pelts ended up being far more interesting and creepy than I thought it would.
Mark Levandoski
Good collection of short stories from the odd side.
Chris
Another great collection of F Paul Wilson short fiction, including a Repairman Jack story. The majority of the stories are really good, although the Dick Tracy story (Rockabilly) was the weakest of the bunch in my opinion. Favorites include The Barrens (a wonderful homage to HP Lovecraft), Definitive Therapy and A Day In The Life. I also particularly enjoy the autobiographical and story origin tidbits between stories.
Brian Steele
Hmmm... perhaps I grabbed the wrong collection to start out on with Wilson. There are some remarkable tales here, while others are somewhat boring. His horror is "quiet" but atmosperic, something difficult to do, but I suppose I'm just not a fan of that style. While I have no real desire to check out his Repairman Jack novels, I will definitely check out more by Wilson.
Chelsea Jennings
Very good collection of short stories. I liked just about all of them. Even those that weren't my favorites were still entertaining. Wilson has a great talent at story telling. All of the stories draw one in, and are spun in such a way that one is compelled to find out what is going to happen. I will seek out and read more F. Paul Wilson in the future.
Evans Light
Mar 29, 2013 Evans Light marked it as to-read
Shelves: have-it
An anthology of short stories by F. Paul Wilson. I've never read his novels, but his short stories have never disappointed.

Going to update review as I go through it:

FEELINGS - *** Three Stars

Fun short story, if a bit silly, about a curse placed on a lawyer to teach him empathy. Well-written, but could've taken the concept a bit further.
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 H3yd00 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006
I don't usually read short story and novella collections, but, well, it's F. Paul Wilson. And there is a Repairman Jack story in here. =] Seriously, there isn't a stinker in the bunch, I really enjoyed reading these short stories. And it was perfect to read the week of Christmas, since I didn't have time to read more than a few pages a day.
Jamie
A great collection of tales and two plays by F. Paul Wilson. My favorites are highlighted. It includes:
Feelings
Rockabilly
Bob Dylan, Troy Johnson, and the Speed Queen
Pelts
Pelts (the stage play)
Glim Glim (the stage play)
Lisa Look
A very good book of short stories but I expected nothing less from this author. And the stories varies from one genre to the next, one is a horror, next a Dick Tracey. I love the variety something for everyone. Great book probably will read it again!
David
This is really an excellent short story collection that genre hops in quite a dizzying way...the title story is an excellent addition to the secret history of the world
Karin
Good introduction to this author.The stories in this collection are diverse so they give samples of Mr.Wilson's creativity.Now for a full length novel...
Tom O'Connor
First collection of short fiction that I've read by Wilson(I've read almost all the novels) and I really enjoyed it
Jared
Not a bad story among them. If you like Matheson or King's short fiction, you will love F. Paul Wilson.
Melody
Mar 15, 2008 Melody rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melody by: Craig
Some of the stories are good - most are just OK. They are full of the supernatural and visions of horror.
Colleen
Good stories. I especially like the Repairman Jack as well as the story with Doc Holliday.
Brian Sammons
I wish F. Paul Wilson wrote more short stories. This amazing book is why.
Rob
Dec 15, 2007 Rob marked it as to-read
NOTE TO SELF:
* I seem to have added this to my book on accident...
Stephanie
Just the Repairman Jack story.
Rt
  • Fantastic Orgy
  • Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • The Devil's Day (After Such Knowledge, #2-3)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • Bullets and Fire
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D., #4-5,12)
  • Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala
  • Fears Unnamed
  • The Wicked
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • Horror Stories
  • Draculas
  • I Travel by Night
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...
The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1) Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2) Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3) All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)