Start by marking “Long Lost” as Want to Read:
Long Lost

Long Lost

Gone Once For years, Brad Denning wondered whether his younger brother was dead or alive. He wondered who took him, or if Petey had simply run away. Now, on a Denver street, Brad is jolted by a man calling out his name. A man claiming to be his long lost brother. Twice Burned But the reunion is short-lived. Suddenly, Petey is gone again. And so is Brad's family. This time, ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Long Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Lost

Cheryl
Mar 09, 2015 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced action novel. Had me quickly turning the pages until the very end. Entertaining and exciting.
David
May 31, 2010 David rated it it was ok
itchy
Aug 16, 2016 itchy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
this is the last of my hard morrells;
i'm not sure if i can acquire more this year;
this seems more of a short novel than a fast-paced one as most readers find;

i wonder why the authorities vehemently condemn vigilantism
Piglet
Mar 01, 2012 Piglet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very easy to read and I read it very fast, as I wanted to know what happened. I wouldn't say that it was exceptionally good, but it was still the kind of book that you keep on reading because you want to know how it ends. The chapters were short too, which helps to make you read on and on as you think "just one more chapter".

The main character is a man called Brad Dennings, who is a successful architect with a lovely wife and a wonderful son. In short, his life is great, except for
Jodi
Sep 25, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at a distant ALA when I was still enthralled with Morrell's Brotherhood of the Rose series. He explained to me why he couldn't continue the series. It was a excellent reason but I was so disappointed I never wanted to read this. More fool I. The story is non-stop action from the very first. Brad's younger brother went missing when he was nine. Brad has always blamed himself because he had shooed his little brother away and then he was never seen again. Brad is successful ad ...more
Zoë
Aug 07, 2011 Zoë rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
Either I've read too much David Morrell or this book was predictable. I'm guessing a little bit of both.
Mike
Dec 04, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Continuing my year of Re-Reading I can honestly say that my memory of first reading LONG LOST is in itself long lost. This had to be well over a decade ago and then I believe I'd filed this as a Top 5 favorite. That will be modified now:

While this is certainly not a terrible novel it's definitely not up to the tension we are used to from Morrell. The first 80% of the story is perfectly cadenced and takes the reader through every emotion of the narrative. Generally in these novels we're along for
Cynthia Rodrigues Manchekar
For Full and Detailed review, drop everything and run to http://cynthology.blogspot.com/2014/0...

I must confess that I couldn’t bring myself to read Long Lost by David Morrell for a very long time. Being a mother of two very young children and an aunt to two young boys, the thought of a child disappearing like that never to show up again in the parent’s lifetime was enough to give me the creeps. It was only recently that I made the supreme effort of rejecting my fears as mere superstition and be
Daniel Rudge
Feb 05, 2015 Daniel Rudge rated it really liked it
Morrell's story highlights the extreme lengths some men will go to recover what is there's. In Long Lost our protagonist Brad Denning, a now famous architect living in Denver who is living with a tortured soul. When he was a young boy, he was playing baseball with his friends when they complained that his younger brother Petey was bothering them and that Brad needed to send Petey home. Reluctantly he agrees and he watches as Petey peddles off on his blue bike...and is never seen or heard from ag ...more
Michelle
Jul 02, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
The only reason I picked up 'Long Lost' to read was because I noticed that David Morrell was the one who created 'First Blood' which if anyone doesn't know is the first story in the Rambo series. Now, being blinded by the fact that I just luuuurve Rambo I thought that maybe another story by this author may be just as good. Well, it was and it wasn't......

The story this book is based around is your typical family member that goes missing story and suddenly out of the blue they turn up years later
Jim C
Oct 30, 2014 Jim C rated it liked it
My actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This novel's main character is Brad Denning and during his childhood his younger brother was kidnapped and never found. Many years later he is reunited with his brother, Peter, and Brad introduces Peter to his family. Things don't proceed as Brad planned it and he is suddenly thrust into a nightmare.

This is an enjoyable quick read. The short chapters reminded me of a James Patterson book and these short chapters kept the pace going as there was never a chance for a
Dale
Jul 17, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I "read" it as an audiobook and I was very impressed

This is one of the best audiobooks that I have ever heard. Neil Patrick Harris does an absolutely wonderful job of conveying the emotions of Brad Denning, the main character. Harris makes you feel the loss of Denning, the joy of re-discovering his long-lost brother, the horror of having his family kidnapped...Well done!

The plot of the book is compelling. Brad Denning is a successful architect with a happy wife and son. One day, a scruffy stran
Bob
Aug 29, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
When Brad Dennnig was a kid he sent his younger brother Petey home because his friends thought he was a pest. Petey never made it home. Years later Brad is a successful architect in Denver with wife and young son. One day while out for a lunch he hears his mane called and turns and is approached by a young man in worn clothes. Now Brad had been on nationwide TV for an interview and had mentioned the loss of his brother prompting a rash of callers claiming to be Petey and thought this was going t ...more
Sandie
Jun 23, 2009 Sandie rated it liked it
From the man who gave us Rambo comes this story of Brad Denning, thirty-something, happily married family man and architect who remains guilt ridden over the disappearance of his younger brother Petey some twenty years before.

When Brad is approached by a man claiming to be Petey he is at first skeptical, but based upon the strangers in depth knowledge of their shared childhood experiences, becomes convinced that this man is indeed his long lost brother, and brings him home to meet his wife and
Lote L.
Viens no daudzajiem detektīviem tēta grāmatu plauktā - atceros, pirmo reizi lasīju, kad man bija kādi divpadsmit. Aizraujoši, ātri var izraut cauri - kā jau labs krimiķis.

Tomēr, lasot otro reizi, pamanīju tēlu plakanumu - lai arī galvenais ļaundaris (vai viņa stāsts) bija labi (interesanti) izstrādāts, pārējie tēli bija ļoti sausi, bet visas sievietes, cik nu tādas tur bija, vispār kalpoja tikai kā objekti stāsta virzīšanai uz priekšu.

Vienīgais tēls, kuru tiešām iepazinu un varbūt pat izpratu, b
Darrel
Jul 28, 2012 Darrel rated it liked it
I read this book a few years back. I had gone to the library to read through some periodicals - but my usual selections were all in use. Needing to kill time I wandered over to the mystery paperback shelf, saw this, sounded reasonably interesting so I made the decision to spend the few minutes reading this while waiting for one of the magazines to be returned to the rack. If I liked the book at all I figured I could always pick it up again off the shelf during a return trip and begin reading whe ...more
Nancy Brady
Dec 03, 2014 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it
A suspenseful thriller that keeps the reader on the edge wondering what is next, wondering what is the truth.
Brad Denning's younger brother Petey disappeared one afternoon. For years, Brad has tortured himself as to whether Petey is alive or dead when one afternoon a man claiming to be him appears.
Is it Petey? He knows things only his brother could know, and Brad welcomes him back, introducing his wife and son to him. Hoping to make things better for him.
Days later, Peter again disappears taking
David
May 25, 2013 David rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Long Lost, though I found the ending a bit weak. But never mind that, because by the time you get to the end, it's over. Having said that, Long Lost is a great novel. More a mystery than thriller, it deals with missing children and survivors guilt. I enjoyed it a lot.

Reviewed by, David Feeney, author; Terror on the high seas
Pammy
Apr 04, 2016 Pammy rated it it was ok
Long Lost was a quick read. The story line moved at a fast pace and you kept rolling with it to find out what happens next. His writing style with the shorter chapters, and short, choppy sentences actually seems to work for Mr Morrell.
The reader anticipates the outcome, but still wants to read as quickly as possible to get all the details from the author.
It didn't hurt as to a quick read that the book I had was in large print.
Deborah G
Oct 30, 2016 Deborah G rated it really liked it
I read this book on a friend's recommendation and was a little hesitant as it's not my typical read. But hey, go out of your box, right? Overall, I was motivated by the plot and intrigued by the actions of the main character. The characters lacked depth and the story was predictable; however, the straight-forward writing style made this an easy, quick read with enough suspense and action to make me want to keep coming back.
Fiona
Jul 26, 2016 Fiona rated it really liked it
Kaustubh Dudhane
Sep 03, 2016 Kaustubh Dudhane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action! Action! Action! David Morrell creates a simple architect into a full fledged detective with the right motivation. Although I had never expected in this book, a couple of scenes brought tears. I could relate well to the protagonist and the dark antagonist as well. The plot was simple but I loved the thought process of the characters in this book. Nice one.
Phil
Apr 02, 2016 Phil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out pretty good, but towards the end became pretty annoying: the main character kept making bad decisions (probably just to make the books more "exciting". But for me, it just made it more annoying. I finally put the book down quite a way before the end. For me - not worth finishing. (Although others may appreciate this type of writing.)
Shaun
Jun 01, 2008 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although very well written and easy to read, nothing about the book stood out as particularly memorable. The characters were sufficiently fleshed out, but they lacked any real zeal, and some of the main characters actions seemed a little far fetched. Overall, worth the read, but the few plot twists could be seen from far away.
Brett Wallach
Oct 31, 2015 Brett Wallach rated it did not like it
After a not bad beginning, this slid quickly into an endless, boring inner monologue, along with an an illogical trek, implausible plot, and and a hackneyed ending, topped off by a puke-inducing last couple of pages. The worst. People who reviewed this as suspenseful have to be stoned, no other explanation.
Salsadancer
By no means literature but it was entertaining and that's what you sometimes want from a novel. A boy whose 9-yr. old brother was kidnapped was guilt-ridden for years and then was confronted by him when they were in their 30's. The long-lost brother then kidnapped his wife and son and things got weird.
SweetSweeede
Feb 14, 2015 SweetSweeede rated it really liked it
This was a solid, unsettling read about human nature and the cruelty within it. I might have wished for more descriptions, dialogue and details in the first part of the book, just to make it a long, epic read to curl up on the couch for days on end with, but after awhile, I got used to the style of storytelling and enjoyed it.
Rick
Sep 05, 2008 Rick rated it it was ok
I really like David Morrell, but this wasn't one of his better efforts and was ultimately very forgettable. It was written in the first person, and unless that's done really well, it usually annoys me. If you're stuck in an airport it'll provide a quick read, but apart from that, there's not much there.
Karolina
Aug 06, 2011 Karolina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the most surprising book I have ever read. In the beginning, I thought it was lame and down right stupid, but David Morrell sure did prove me wrong! It was a really good story! One should be aware that the hardest thing to create in a book is suspense and fear. Morrell really succeeded. Had only the beginning been as good as the middle and the ending, the rating would have been a five.
Normalyn Espejo
Oct 01, 2010 Normalyn Espejo rated it it was amazing
It was a great read! It's has simple plot and it's a very good warning to us all. That no one is exempted from anything bad that can happen so we should always be prepared, expect anything and it never hurts to know a little self defense and to know how to handle guns. Once again, Morrell has impressed me.
  • Scott Free
  • Black Blade
  • Live Fire (Dan Shepherd, #6)
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • The Hadrian Memorandum
  • The Betrayed
  • Patriot Games / The Hunt for Red October
  • Chicago Loop
  • The Color of Night
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • Layover
  • Eureka
  • Hard Landing  (Alex Shanahan #1)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Switch
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...