Long Lost

Long Lost

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Gone Once For years, Brad Denning wondered whether his younger brother was dead or alive. He wondered who took him, or if Petey had simply run away. Now, on a Denver street, Brad is jolted by a man calling out his name. A man claiming to be his long lost brother. Twice Burned But the reunion is short-lived. Suddenly, Petey is gone again. And so is Brad's family. This time,...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Long Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Lost

Piglet
This book was very easy to read and I read it very fast, as I wanted to know what happened. I wouldn't say that it was exceptionally good, but it was still the kind of book that you keep on reading because you want to know how it ends. The chapters were short too, which helps to make you read on and on as you think "just one more chapter".

The main character is a man called Brad Dennings, who is a successful architect with a lovely wife and a wonderful son. In short, his life is great, except for...more
Cynthia Rodrigues Manchekar
For Full and Detailed review, drop everything and run to http://cynthology.blogspot.com/2014/0...

I must confess that I couldn’t bring myself to read Long Lost by David Morrell for a very long time. Being a mother of two very young children and an aunt to two young boys, the thought of a child disappearing like that never to show up again in the parent’s lifetime was enough to give me the creeps. It was only recently that I made the supreme effort of rejecting my fears as mere superstition and be...more
Dale
I "read" it as an audiobook and I was very impressed

This is one of the best audiobooks that I have ever heard. Neil Patrick Harris does an absolutely wonderful job of conveying the emotions of Brad Denning, the main character. Harris makes you feel the loss of Denning, the joy of re-discovering his long-lost brother, the horror of having his family kidnapped...Well done!

The plot of the book is compelling. Brad Denning is a successful architect with a happy wife and son. One day, a scruffy stran...more
Bob
When Brad Dennnig was a kid he sent his younger brother Petey home because his friends thought he was a pest. Petey never made it home. Years later Brad is a successful architect in Denver with wife and young son. One day while out for a lunch he hears his mane called and turns and is approached by a young man in worn clothes. Now Brad had been on nationwide TV for an interview and had mentioned the loss of his brother prompting a rash of callers claiming to be Petey and thought this was going t...more
David
Michelle
The only reason I picked up 'Long Lost' to read was because I noticed that David Morrell was the one who created 'First Blood' which if anyone doesn't know is the first story in the Rambo series. Now, being blinded by the fact that I just luuuurve Rambo I thought that maybe another story by this author may be just as good. Well, it was and it wasn't......

The story this book is based around is your typical family member that goes missing story and suddenly out of the blue they turn up years later...more
Sandie
From the man who gave us Rambo comes this story of Brad Denning, thirty-something, happily married family man and architect who remains guilt ridden over the disappearance of his younger brother Petey some twenty years before.

When Brad is approached by a man claiming to be Petey he is at first skeptical, but based upon the strangers in depth knowledge of their shared childhood experiences, becomes convinced that this man is indeed his long lost brother, and brings him home to meet his wife and...more
Darrel
I read this book a few years back. I had gone to the library to read through some periodicals - but my usual selections were all in use. Needing to kill time I wandered over to the mystery paperback shelf, saw this, sounded reasonably interesting so I made the decision to spend the few minutes reading this while waiting for one of the magazines to be returned to the rack. If I liked the book at all I figured I could always pick it up again off the shelf during a return trip and begin reading whe...more
Lote L.
Viens no daudzajiem detektīviem tēta grāmatu plauktā - atceros, pirmo reizi lasīju, kad man bija kādi divpadsmit. Aizraujoši, ātri var izraut cauri - kā jau labs krimiķis.

Tomēr, lasot otro reizi, pamanīju tēlu plakanumu - lai arī galvenais ļaundaris (vai viņa stāsts) bija labi (interesanti) izstrādāts, pārējie tēli bija ļoti sausi, bet visas sievietes, cik nu tādas tur bija, vispār kalpoja tikai kā objekti stāsta virzīšanai uz priekšu.

Vienīgais tēls, kuru tiešām iepazinu un varbūt pat izpratu, b...more
Joe McGuire
A bizarre story to be sure. But the writing seemed pretty pedestrian, particularly the dialogue which seemed to come from the soap opera school of writing.
Xa
This book started out fine, but toward the end got a little wacky. Things worked out a little too well (in one way or another). NPH narrating helped, though.
Marc Pilon
Lots of suspense but it is what it is... a suspense novel.. .not very deep
Amy
Would probably make a pretty good movie.
Kris Burrill
another great one.
David
I really enjoyed Long Lost, though I found the ending a bit weak. But never mind that, because by the time you get to the end, it's over. Having said that, Long Lost is a great novel. More a mystery than thriller, it deals with missing children and survivors guilt. I enjoyed it a lot.

Reviewed by, David Feeney, author; Terror on the high seas
Karolina
Perhaps the most surprising book I have ever read. In the beginning, I thought it was lame and down right stupid, but David Morrell sure did prove me wrong! It was a really good story! One should be aware that the hardest thing to create in a book is suspense and fear. Morrell really succeeded. Had only the beginning been as good as the middle and the ending, the rating would have been a five.
Marc
This story was moderately engaging and disappointingly predictable. I was way ahead of the main character pretty much the entire story. Overall, I have the impression the author only wrote the story so that it would get picked up and made into a movie. Pretty women, beautiful scenes, conflict, sex, explosions, etc. The story was entertaining and I finished it in one sitting.
Shaun
Although very well written and easy to read, nothing about the book stood out as particularly memorable. The characters were sufficiently fleshed out, but they lacked any real zeal, and some of the main characters actions seemed a little far fetched. Overall, worth the read, but the few plot twists could be seen from far away.
Rick
I really like David Morrell, but this wasn't one of his better efforts and was ultimately very forgettable. It was written in the first person, and unless that's done really well, it usually annoys me. If you're stuck in an airport it'll provide a quick read, but apart from that, there's not much there.
Normalyn Espejo
It was a great read! It's has simple plot and it's a very good warning to us all. That no one is exempted from anything bad that can happen so we should always be prepared, expect anything and it never hurts to know a little self defense and to know how to handle guns. Once again, Morrell has impressed me.
Kelli
I really enjoyed this book and found it was page turner as with his other books. However, I did find that the ending was a bit lacking and could have been a bit more exciting. It seemed like he had a page limit and realised too late that he would have to end up.
Gilbert
This is a great book...it's different than the other David Morrell books I've read but still good. When a boy is 12-years old his 9-year old brother gets kidnapped...and then the story gets interesting...this event occurs during the first 10 pages...
George/Bev
George: Unique, original thriller. Quick, straight-forward, easy reading. Few, simply-described characters. David Morrell's style is exact opposite of John Irving's. A great diversion book that is hard to put down, and could be read in one sitting.
Bonnie
I don't think I've read anything by David Morrell before and after reading this one I will probably look for more of his books. The plot is tightly woven and the reader is guessing up until the final chapter. Strong characters.
MissSusie
This was an edge of your seat thriller. Yes I did figure some things out before the main character did but it still made me sit on the edge of my seat waiting for Brad to figure out the mystery.
Brendergrrl
It was a really interesting read and kept me turning the pages. I had a meltdown when my loan expired in part 5. Luckily it was still available and I could pick up where I left off.
Barbara ★
I liked this book but I must say that it was rather predictable at times. The mystery was interesting and back-tracking Petey's origins was real clever of Brad.
Joe O'c
Outstanding; Man's long lost brother shows up out of the blue and seems to fit right in to the family, until he attempts to kill him and steal his family.
Sarah Jowett
Wow, this could have been a typical thriller but it was turned into something extremely engaging with fast paced action, along with introspection.
Valerie
I actually was very surprised that I liked this book. "Rambo" isn't exactly my type of book.... but this one was really good.
  • Black Blade
  • Live Fire (Dan Shepherd, #6)
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • The Betrayed
  • The Outside Man
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • Even Steven
  • The Hadrian Memorandum
  • Patriot Games / The Hunt for Red October
  • Devil's Keep
  • The Last Hostage
  • Eureka
  • Chicago Loop
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...
The Brotherhood of the Rose (Mortalis, #1) First Blood Creepers Murder as a Fine Art The Fraternity Of The Stone