Start by marking “StarGate: A Novel” as Want to Read:
StarGate: A Novel

StarGate: A Novel (Stargate 0.5)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  821 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A brilliant archeologist and a fearless military man lead a team through the ancient StarGate and discover a planet where the humans are enslaved by the Egyptian god Ra.
Published January 1st 1994 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about StarGate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about StarGate

Daniella
Dec 19, 2010 Daniella rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Stargate franchise.
The thing about books based on screenplays is that, just like screenplays based on books, they're just never quite as good. Sad but true. I'd like to be able to say that the book is always better than the movie, because I'm a book snob and believe in the inherent supremacy of literature, but because I am a book snob, I'm forced to admit that this isn't always the case. In fact, with book adaptations of screenplays, the case seems to be that these are works of middling to no effort intended solel ...more
Brian
Feb 28, 2014 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of books that have been turned into movies. And a few books that have been adapted from movies. Some good, some bad. This one goes into the bad column. Being a fan of the Stargate movie and the subsequent TV series, I was looking forward to reading the book based on the film. Unfortunately, the book is so loosely based on the film that I was mad at the changes. The marines ran the stargate?? It was the Air Force! Some scenes were so shortened as to be barely a mention in the bo ...more
Victor Orozco
May 06, 2014 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it
Nice novelization. This is one of my father's favorite Sci-Fi films and usually leaves it at that and just watching or reading this one story alone is sufficient. I have seen only one episode of SG-1 and all things consider I don't have to see all of the show to enjoy this one book.

The details of the book are really good. I found it interesting that the mindset of the boy possessed by the creature was somewhat superior and arrogant, giving one the impression that the boy was a good choice for a
Jana Babáčková
Dec 23, 2012 Jana Babáčková rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Stargate, there is nothing more to write :o) Great story, great series and SG Atlantis is my favourite team. So, this book is soo thin, the story could be wider, sophisticated, lasts only for an hour of reading :o)
Alexander Wesley
Jul 04, 2013 Alexander Wesley rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
As a kid, my dad used to watch the show Stargate SG-1 all the time. I was totally infatuated, to the point where the theme song actually brings me to near tears from nostalgia and other such poignant emotions.

That being said, it was only recently that I learned that there was a film that inspired the show. And that an actor I really enjoy - James Spader - played my favorite character, Daniel.

I enjoyed the movie but not nearly as much as the television show. That being said, I still decided to re
Stephanie Macdonald
You have got to love anything that takes you outside of the box and really let's you use your imagination on the what if and could be's - there is a lot we as humans don''t know - we don't know our own past, our own origination - so many mysteries and secrets - and this is the kind of story that will leave you with that great sense of wonder. recommended to all!
Simon Ford
Feb 01, 2015 Simon Ford rated it really liked it
"AWESOME".

Loved the film, just a great idea, the Pyramids as alien landing pads, real Chariot of the Gods stuff but better!

When I heard about the TV series I thought "Here we go again" and that it would be crap, boy was I so wrong?

As you can tell I'm a big fan but have never read the book until now, my loss. This goes into so much more detail and backstory, it's not exactly as shown on screen, it's better.

"BRILL"
Steve Hazell
I really wasn't impressed with this at all. I like the story itself which was introduced to me by the movie. The concept is great hut I found the writing to be kind of dull. I certainly may be biased by my Kurt Russell portrait of O'Neil or something but it just didn't work for me.
Judith
Aug 29, 2012 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is well-written by authors Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich. It flows very well and it's a pretty easy read. The characters are likable; one of the most important elements of a book. It's sometimes disappointing when you read novelizations from your favorite movies to find that your favorite characters are not likable when you read about them. The action and suspense is strong; definitely a page-turner at some points in the plot, making the book hard to put down. But most of all, some pa ...more
K
Apr 19, 2014 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stargate
Not too bad, just as good as the movie. A few things stood out to me as different at least from the TV show, nothing huge, but a few things here and there (spelling of O'Neill, name of the mountain, etc.) Still is a great story.
Barry
Aug 17, 2015 Barry rated it liked it
Good plot, not great writing. More like young teen then adult fiction. A bit fantastic in places, in one part, most of the characters miraculously keep from getting shot. Overall, a good read, not great
Leelan
Jul 30, 2008 Leelan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, especially Stargate fans.
Shelves: scifi
Don't know why it took me so long to get around to this book. I enjoyed the movie and love all the spin offs!
This book is very well written --- above average for a movie novelization. If there were no movie at all I would probably have enjoyed the book just as much. It stands well on its own.
There are differences from the final filmed version of course. Books don't translated exactly to film or vice versa. But what sets the novel a bit above the movie is the chance to hear the character's inne
Anthony McDowell
Feb 13, 2015 Anthony McDowell rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed this book. A huge Spader fan since Boston Legal, reading about Daniel Jackson and mentally seeing Spader's mannerisms and sarcasms was such a delightful treat
Narlyn
Jul 13, 2014 Narlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There is no frigate like a book, to take us lands away" — Emily Dickinson
Gautama Siddartha
Nov 18, 2015 Gautama Siddartha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the stargate series and the book was not to bad as well.
Ana
Sep 06, 2014 Ana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No interest what so ever
Oceana2602
It's the book to the movie. I love the movie. Enough said.

(This was brought to you by the "Review your books in three sentences. They don't even have to be complete!"-campaign, sponsored by the People Against the Waste of Words in Movie Reviews (PAWWMR). Thank you for your attention.)
Stéphanie
Jul 28, 2011 Stéphanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sfff, owned
Une novellisation plutôt de bonne qualité dont l'intérêt essentiel sont les détails que l'on apprend sur le passé de Râ. Sinon le roman reste globalement très fidèle au film. Le gros bémol c'est surtout la happy end casse-pied franchement plus nian-nian que dans le film.
Kaitlyn Wooley
Feb 06, 2008 Kaitlyn Wooley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The awesome original novel that became the movie! It's a little different, because things were changed in the movie, as with any book-to-movie instance, but it is a wonderfully-written, action-packed novel and a great read for anyone--not just Stargate fans. ;)
Ivan Stoikov - Allan Bard
This is not just a book about archaelogy, space travel, ancient Egypt, artefacts, great discoveries... It's also about the borders we put to our minds, the stupidity of the daily routine... or probably of the origin of gods too.
Denise Link
Looking for the storyline of Stargate the movie? This book , based on the movie, gives you that. Unlike a book on which a movie is based, however, you don't get *more* than that. The writing style is descriptive and bland.
Elizabeth
Nov 05, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who is or was obsessed with the movie/series
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Michelle
It was pretty much exactly like the movie so no surprises at all. I actually remember borrowing this book from a friend and having my capri sun leaking all over it in my backpack. It was pretty intersting reading it after that.
Dianne
Mar 02, 2009 Dianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
of course I loved i because well im just like that if you give me anything related to Stargate i will most likely love it and while i was reading it i felt so much more of a nerd because i had my Stargate sweater on.
Angie
Nov 02, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A l'époque, je l'ai lu avant de voir le film. D'ailleurs cela m'y a encouragée. J'avais trouvé très intéressante et originale l'idée des pyramides servant de rampe d'atterrissage pour les vaisseaux ET.
Edwige
Jul 24, 2011 Edwige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Très bonne adaptation du film où l'on trouve même ci et là des informations supplémentaires, l'atmosphère est admirablement respectée, un must pour les fans du film et des séries qui en ont découlé.
Kelty
Jan 17, 2011 Kelty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noxious
Holy guacamole edit this book. An animal has a spontaneous change of gender. A dead character is resurrected, unnoticed. A bomb countdown counts up. EDIT.
Ria
Mar 03, 2008 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ria by: No one
A really brilliant sci fi that mixes history with contemporary technology and ideas. I couldn't put this down.
Nick
Nov 16, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my favorite. I'm so glad I read the book before I watch the movie.
Lindsey
Sep 18, 2008 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this back in '96 and loved it. My opinion may be different now :-)
Dusty The2ofHarts-com
Tammy forwarded this to me. Loved the movie. The book brought it all back.
This is not the book the movie's based on 2 7 Oct 10, 2014 02:11PM
  • Stargate: Rebellion (Stargate, #1)
  • Sacrifice Moon (Stargate SG-1, #2)
  • The Price You Pay (Stargate SG-1 #2)
  • A Matter of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #3)
  • Relativity (Stargate SG-1, #10)
  • Siren Song (Stargate SG-1, #6)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • Survival of the Fittest
  • Roswell (Stargate SG-1, #9)
  • Alliances
  • The Barque of Heaven
  • Sunrise (Stargate SG-1, #17)

Stargate (7 books)
  • Stargate
  • Stargate: Rebellion (Stargate, #1)
  • Stargate: Retaliation (Stargate, #2)
  • Stargate: Retribution (Stargate, #3)
  • Stargate: Reconnaissance (Stargate, #4)
  • Stargate: Resistance (Stargate, #5)