Start by marking “Deep Breath Hold Tight: Stories About the End of Everything” as Want to Read:
Deep Breath Hold Tight: Stories About the End of Everything

Deep Breath Hold Tight: Stories About the End of Everything

Deep Breath Hold Tight is a collection of short stories about... endings. The heroes and antiheroes of these tales find themselves, sometimes unexpectedly, arriving at major turning points in their lives – turning points that are quite often catastrophic, surreal, tragic. These stories are alternately triumphant and terribly sad, but they are always human.

This collection i
Published May 13th 2014 (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Breath Hold Tight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Breath Hold Tight

Philip
May 22, 2014 Philip rated it it was amazing
As a thank you for being a member of his mailing list, Jason Gurley sent me a free copy of his first short story collection - Deep Breath Hold Tight : Stories About the End of the World. I bought a copy anyway - that's how much I enjoyed it.

Deep Breath Hold Tight contains seven stories, all loosely connected by the end of the world theme. These stories were all previously published either as standalone ebooks, in anthologies or as part of a full length novel.

Wolf Skin
Wolf Skin is the story of so
Alexandria
4.5/5 stars.

Beautifully written collection! Many of these stories were quite emotional and dark, which was fitting for the theme.
You could almost call them "quiet" in that they are mostly character-driven instead of event-driven, which for me, suits the short story format very well. After each story I felt as though I'd read an entire novel.
I was particularly fond of the way many of these stories ended.

I took off half a star because I felt that the story "Onyx" was unnecessarily a bit too lon
Nilay Gandhi
Sep 18, 2014 Nilay Gandhi rated it really liked it
If you're a writer, this book will be maddening. Jason Gurley uses an inventive range of apocalyptic (though ultimately pretty tame) settings to often lead us to the most obvious of conclusions, particularly in the opening Wolf Skin, which too often gets lost in its own drama and chooses writerly device over the pureness of its story. But he follows through with a book that reads like a retrospective of an entire career, each story building in technical and emotional depth, peaking with the ...more
Stewart
Oct 26, 2015 Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man. A heartbreaking collection of short sci-fi stories, most of which feature some sort of distressing post-apocalyptic or dystopian theme. However, this isn't really part of the flavor-of-the-month sci-fi/dystopia crowd that's flooding the market lately. With few exceptions these stories are far more centered around the characters and their emotional states in the face of overwhelming changes than in the causes or effects of the changes themselves. The last story, "The Dark Age", is by far ...more
Alisa Kester
This guy writes short stories as if each one was a novel. I'm not usually a big fan of short stories. They are just such a quick glimpse into a life, that I almost always feel a sense of...emptiness when I finish one. Like having a snack, when you're starving for a steak dinner. Gurley's stories are steak dinners, satisfying in every way.
Christine Reyes
Aug 29, 2014 Christine Reyes rated it it was amazing
Jason Gurley is an intense writer. You can tell from the blurb that most of these stories are tragic. I'm usually wary to read things that are too sad, but this collection is worth it. Definitely a book to return to again and again

The Dark Age was my favorite, followed closely by The Winter Lands.
Rob Engel
May 12, 2014 Rob Engel rated it it was amazing
Jason Gurley is truly a master of the short story. I really loved this collection. Each story had it's own darkness, but they were touching as well. I especially enjoyed The Dark Age...it really got me thinking about my own daughter and how I don't want to take anything for granted. This anthology is highly recommended for any and all sci-fi fans!
Janet Furnee
May 13, 2014 Janet Furnee rated it really liked it
Deep Breath Hold Tight shows why Jason Gurley is a master of short stories. The Winter Lands and Onyx truly touched me. With smooth writing and dark unexpected twists ,the author lures you into his imagination. If you like speculative fiction with a heart, you will love this book.
Seamus
May 13, 2014 Seamus rated it it was amazing
One of the best short story compilations that I have read. Jason Gurley has a skill that not many writers can better.

My favs are Onyx & The Caretaker, although all the stories included are very touching in a dark kind of way!

BUY THIS BOOK
Bob
Sep 28, 2014 Bob rated it really liked it
A simply wonderful collection of stories from a very talented writer. If you don't know the name Jason Gurley now....you soon will. Buy this collection. It's very good.
Jonathan
May 12, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
pretty solid collection. a few weak stories, but also several that really resonate emotionally. he's a good writer.
Joyce
Jul 24, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing
My favorite of these stories was The Caretaker, which was simultaneously horrifying and hopeful. The imagery will stay with me for a long time.
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Joshua Lawson
Joshua Lawson rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
Matt Sheehy
Matt Sheehy rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Magnus
Magnus rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Shannon Squire
Shannon Squire rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Idella
Idella rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
Michael Schanbacher
Michael Schanbacher rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Axie Barclay
Axie Barclay rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Saurabh
Saurabh rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Tai
Tai rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Robert Gray
Robert Gray rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Linda Blum
Linda Blum rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
su
su rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Gretta
Gretta rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Erik Waddell
Erik Waddell rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • #NaNoWri War Z, Hugh Howey Must Die
  • Future Primitive: The New Ecotopias
  • Before & Gone (The Chosen: Book #1)
  • The Lady Who Plucked Red Flowers Beneath the Queen's Window
  • The Scattered and the Dead (Book 1): Post Apocalyptic Fiction
  • Tik-Tok
  • Smallworld
  • Synchronic: 13 Tales of Time Travel
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • Lucky Wander Boy
  • True Names... and Other Dangers
  • Future History (Moties 0.5, Falkenberg's Legion, #a-b)
  • The End is Nigh
Jason Gurley is the author of Greatfall, The Man Who Ended the World, and other novels and stories. His bestselling self-published novel Eleanor is forthcoming from Crown Publishing in 2016. His work has appeared in Lightspeed Magazine and numerous anthologies. He lives and writes in Oregon.
More about Jason Gurley...

“Cutting a person’s throat is not as easy as I thought it would be.” 0 likes
“I missed the moonlight, the stars. There were times I forgot that there was an entire universe above the clouds. It was as if a shroud had been pulled around the Earth. Over time, we would forget everything that we had once struggled so hard to observe and learn and prove. We would forget about Jupiter and its churning storms. We would forget about the Big Dipper, about Halley's comet. We would stumble across telescopes in old department stores and never give them a second look, never wonder about the things they once made large.” 0 likes