Start by marking “Calico Bush” as Want to Read:
Calico Bush
Preview

Calico Bush

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,818 ratings  ·  66 reviews
This heartwarming and enthralling classic is the story of a young girl who is left orphaned and alone shortly after her French family arrives in the New World. First published in 1931, this memorable story by a Newbery Award winneroffers a historically signiricant portrait of pioneer life in the eighteenth century. Illustrated.
Published March 31st 1987 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about Calico Bush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calico Bush

Jill
A little scared when I realized this was written by the same woman who wrote Hitty, her first hundred years, which I forced myself to finish. I was pleasantly surprised to be reading an interesting story of pioneer life in Maine. The bonus was that I was vacationing in Maine at the time, and thinking of the things early settlers had to contend with illuminated my understanding of the area.

"It was only by the next afternoon that Marguerite could get her swollen feet into her shoes and limp as far
Jenny
Marguerite has been orphaned and is now a "Bound Out" girl to the Sargent family for the next 6 years. The Sargents are settling in a new area, an area where there has been trouble with the Indians. Neighbors (living on nearby islands) warn the Sargents not to settle there, but they have paid money for the claim and are determined to settle there.

This realistically portrayed the difficulty of life in the mid 1700's. Marguerite suffers from negative stereotyping because of her French background
Torie
YA fiction about a 12-year-old French girl who is indentured to a pioneer family homesteading on the Maine coast. It's no "Little House," obviously, although it's chock full of offensive references to "Injuns." It's also no "Country of the Pointed Firs," though it is similarly evocative of the beauty of the wild Maine coast, just not as artful as Orne-Jewett. Despite its failings, I am a sucker for pioneer-themed YA and Calico Bush didn't disappoint in its descriptions of maple sugaring, log cab ...more
Lily C
The book Calico Bush was about a young girl named Maggie who had to live with another family because she had no family left. The Sargent family, who took her in, was a rather large family. They settled on an island in Maine and had to face Indians. There could be an attack at any time. Maggie was always watching the young children, weaving clothing, or cooking dinner. There was never a moment of rest. Could she be the best addition to the Sargent family? The author, Rachel Field, did a wonderful ...more
Amy
This is really for an older audience -- 6th grade or above. There is a scene where the main character (a girl of about 12 or 13) stumbles upon a place where people have been killed (burned, supposedly by Indians) and she finds a lock of a child's hair attached to a piece of scalp and a buckle from a child's shoe. There is also a scene where a baby dies after her clothes catch fire because she's gotten too close to the hearth. It is a well-written book, though, and true to the time.
Steve Shilstone
In the 1740s, a family pioneers on the coast of Maine. Good middle grade novel with a well-drawn main character, the bonded servant Marguerite.
Melissa
I enjoyed some of this--the quiet, joyous, and brave tone and the moments of danger. Other parts I didn't like, such as superstitious things like thanking a tree so it will continue to grow and the countless prayers, as if said over a rosary (Marguerite's background was French Catholic) The Bible says: "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." (Matthew 6:7)

It could have been much worse overall, like focusing
QNPoohBear
First published in 1931, this book tells the story of Marguerite "Maggie" Ledoux, a 12-year-old French orphan who is bound-out to a Massachusetts family as they head up the coast to settle in Maine. The journey is difficult and though Marguerite is treated kindly, the Sargent family do not understand or like Marguerite's French ways and Marguerite feels like an outsider. when the family reaches the Maine coast, they learn of the hostilities between the Indians and the local settlers. Neighbors e ...more
David
Calico Bush by Rachel Field, illustrated by Allen Lewis is the story of 13 year old Marguerite Ledoux, an orphaned French girl, who travels to colonial Maine with the Sargent family as their bound-girl, where her courage and ability to withstand hardships becomes apparent. Lewis' wood engravings give an authentic feel to this historical novel.

Despite a text with several prejudicial references to "Injuns" and a rude comment about a cross-eyed person, which will offend modern sensibilities, Calico
Dulci
A good story of the happenings and heartbreaks of a family who, in 1743, move from the colony of Massachusetts to the wild Maine coast, told from the viewpoint of a 12yo French girl, Marguerite. Marguerite is orphaned and living with her grandmother and uncle, but when they die soon after coming to the New World, she is left with no other option but to be bound to this family who will provide her with life's necessities in exchange for her labor until she turns eighteen.

All in all, I think this
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2012 Cheryl marked it as skimmed-reference-dnf  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I had to put it down and I may not pick it up. I am so angry right now. The Hunters land at their claim and find the home that was waiting for them burned by Indians. Neighbors come right over to inform them that the savages seem to regard this bit of land as special to their religion somehow. Mr. Hunter says "This here's my claim, an' I mean to stay, Injun or no Injun." Well I guess I could have seen that coming from all the previous talk about Indians, and prejudice against the French, too ...more
Heather
An excellent book that follows Marguerite (Maggie), a "Bound-Out" girl from France, through 2 years with the Sargent's (the family she's serving). The book starts with the family's journey from the settled port of Marblehead to wild lands along the northern coast of Maine. The experiences of Marguerite are described so well it almost seems that you are there. An excellent read for children and adults alike.

Calico BushCalico Bush was a Newbery Honor Book, a Junior Library Guild Selection, and was
Penny Burkeen
I read this book to my girls, ages 9 and 8. I honestly enjoyed this book. My girls said they had a hard time keeping track of the characters and all of their mishaps. They did day that they liked the book and enjoyed the ending. I found Marguerite to be a thoroughly wonderful girl, with a true pioneer spirit.
Joy
1932 Newbery Honor Book

Marguerite is a French girl who becomes a "bound-out" girl to a family of American colonists. Arriving in America, they discover that their house has burned down and there are rumors of Indians in the area. Maggie (as she is called) helps her family survive despite the odds.
Michiel
Aug 29, 2013 Michiel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls who like Laura Ingalls
Recommended to Michiel by: goodreads
I was pre-reading this book to see if it would fit into my son's homeschool curriculum this year. I ended up deciding not: it was a little slow moving and advanced for him. However, I really enjoyed it myself.

Marguerite is orphaned on her way to America from France. This is early in our country's history. She becomes an indentured servant by necessity, and is bound out to a family who settles in Maine back when it was a wilderness.

The story is divided by the seasons of the year. Maggie, as she i
Luann
This book was a favorite when I was growing up, yet I eventually forgot the title. I always associated it with "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" since the storylines are similar - and I probably first read them around the same time. I tried several times to search for it online, but couldn't remember the author or title. I finally found it a few weeks ago by searching online lists of "If you liked The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and then reading a synopsis of any title I didn't recognize. The title "Ca ...more
Heather Neroy
Third grade homeschool read aloud. My third grader, 4 year old & I all enjoyed it. At times I had to stop reading, I was so choked up.
Kirsten
Early pioneer life in colonial Maine - lots of good details, and very evocative. A tad predictable, perhaps.
Courtney Bell
This is a sweet book that displays humble love and grace from a French bound-out girl toward the family who now owns her. Maggie gives her new "family" beautiful sacrifice and hard work in the midst of sadness over the loss of her uncle, grandmother, and country, even though her owners treat her more like a dirty animal than a human being. The story takes place in the 18th century in Northern Maine over the span of four seasons. Maggie time and again shows grit in difficult situations, opening t ...more
Becky
Read this aloud to my kids. We liked the characters and the suspense but I thought the climax (when the Indians finally make an appearance) was a bit of a let down. Glad we read it.
Valeria
A challenge to read but overall interesting.
Scott Williams
221a2d7e-3ff6-4a4d-a0f7-5a660b5ae8d3
Sam
I wasn't a huge fan of Maggie's story. I found myself getting frustrated at how she was treated and how passive she seemed about the situation. I still don't understand or agree with her final decision, but I guess that makes the story for a lot of people.
I really enjoyed the Christmas scene with the Indian and the way Maggie was willing to make friends with those around her. I loved her relationship with the old neighbor lady, which was what kept me reading. Other than those parts, however, I
Patricia O'Sullivan
For those who are saying Calico Bush is a good follow-up to The Witch of Blackbird Pond, I have to disagree. The Witch of Blackbird Pond is a far superior novel. Calico Bush lacks the tension of TWBP. Other than saving some domesticated animals from drowning, Maggie doesn't do much in the first quarter of the book. In addition, the historical details are too heavily delivered, as if the author is giving a history lesson rather than telling a story.
Marcy Wynhoff
In my path of reading old Newberry silver and golds, Julia gave me this. It was a little slow getting into and had to work with the injun stuff, but it was a wonderful book with historical immigration, prejudices, all weaving through i, and as wekk the history of the calico bush leading to calico prints. Loved it a lot. Got quite attached to the main character and the strength of women during these times.
Theresa
This book is about a young French girl who becomes an orphan during the French Revolutionary War and is sent to Maine to work as an indentured servant. I liked it, but I thought it was a little difficult to read because of the dialect. But it is interesting because it depicts how life may have been like during the early years of the United States. I would recommend this book for late elementary.
Michelle
(Read it several months ago, so sorry for the fairly vague review. . .)
This was excellent. I was surprised by how heartwrenching some of it was. I was rooting so hard for Marguerite, and she didn't disappoint. A good book for showing someone who makes the best they can of a difficult situation. I don't think my boys would really get into it, but maybe someday Rosemary will like it. . . .:)
Kristen
I am amazed that the same person who wrote Hitty, wrote this.

Marguerite emigrates with her uncle and grandma from France in the early 1700's. They immediately die, leaving her alone in the New World. She becomes an indentured servant and moves to Maine where the family she serves builds a cabin and worries about Indian attacks.

The story is really fairly i teresting and well done.
Julie
This is a Newberry Honor book that tells about a girl who came to America before the Revolution and was immediately orphaned. She binds herself to a frontier family as a servant and proves to be a plucky, intelligent survivor. This was a fabulous novel about a period and setting in our countries history about which I knew little. I highly recommend it.
Nicola
I really enjoyed this one. I loved Marguerite as a character, it must have been a strange life being a bound out girl. It was interesting reading about what life was like for people at the time, I can't imagine living so apart from other people. I appreciated that it didn't shy away from hardships, like what happens to Debby (which was really sad :[)

What's The Name o...: Indentured servant girl, sea journey [s] 5 31 Aug 16, 2011 09:15PM
  • Swift Rivers
  • The Avion My Uncle Flew
  • Kildee House
  • Minn of the Mississippi
  • The Silver Pencil
  • Downright Dencey (Young Adult Library)
  • The Corn Grows Ripe
  • The Loner
  • When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw and Other Stories
  • Tree of Freedom
  • Daughter of the Mountains
Rachel Lyman Field was an American novelist, poet, and author of children's fiction. She is best known for her Newbery Medal–winning novel for young adults, Hitty, Her First Hundred Years, published in 1929.

As a child Field contributed to the St. Nicholas Magazine and was educated at Radcliffe College. Her book, Prayer for a Child, was a recipient of the Caldecott Medal for its illustrations by El
More about Rachel Field...
Hitty, Her First Hundred Years Prayer for a Child All This, and Heaven Too And Now Tomorrow Time out of Mind