Start by marking “Invisible” as Want to Read:
Invisible

Invisible

13 essays on the importance of representation in science fiction and fantasy, with an introduction by author Alex Dally MacFarlane. Proceeds from the sale of this collection go to support the Carl Brandon Society.

Full table of contents:

Introduction by Alex Dally MacFarlane.
“Parched” by Mark Oshiro.
“Boys’ Books” by Katharine Kerr.
“Clicking” by Susan Jane Bigelow.
“The Prince
ebook
Published April 11th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Invisible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible

Cissa
Oct 12, 2015 Cissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neither lengthy nor academic, these are well-written, very personal essays on the effects of NOT being represented in the kind of fiction one most enjoys- and/or being represented badly and inaccurately.

Obviously, some reflected my own experiences more closely than others, but the others were in many ways more rewarding perspectives. It's all too easy for any of us to be very aware of our own issues, but oblivious to those faced by other people, and I welcomed the heartfelt accounts that opened
K.M. Herkes
Jun 25, 2014 K.M. Herkes rated it it was amazing
I feel comfortable rating this at five stars while it's still on my "I want to read" shelf because I read the essays in their original form on Jim C. Hines' blog. I've purchased my need-to-own copy, and I'm looking forward to revisiting these powerful, personal stories soon.

Go buy this book now. Prepare to feel uncomfortable in the best possible way. Prepare for some feels, and brace yourself for the possibility that you'll want to do some serious introspection.

These are words that needed saying
Melissa
Aug 18, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
"I saw all the mirrors on earth and none of them reflected me..." (Jorge Luis Borges). This book is a collection of essays representation in SF/F. Individually the essays explore the lack of characters of color, various genders, queerness, nonNeuroTypical minds, and representation without understanding (disability, always-the-villain, not-seeing-color). I read this for my 2016 Reading Challenge "read a book of essays" (Bustle Reads).
Paul
Apr 29, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k, 2014
A thought provoking collection of essays on the the importance of diversity in sci/fi and fantasy. I could easily relate to a few of the essays and gave some heavy thought to the others and after reading this I will think twice about what I choose to read next.
Alis
May 28, 2015 Alis rated it it was amazing
Read a lot of these when they were published on Hines' site, then immediately bought the ebook when it went on sale.

Important voices for an important project, and a must-read for anyone with even a tiny ounce of interest in representation in genre fiction.
Glinda Harrison
May 13, 2014 Glinda Harrison rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing series of essays on representation in SF/F.
Rivqa
Nov 18, 2016 Rivqa rated it it was amazing
An easily digested series of short essays on representation in speculative fiction. The essays are personal, rather than academic, and as such some resonated more strongly with me than others... which is kind of the point.
Chris
These are beautiful essays about why there is a need for more than whole, white, male figures in books. It is about the importance of representation, and quite frankly should be required reading.
Sarah Schanze
A great collection of essays on why diverse representation is so important in books and other media. Inspires me to read and write at the same time.
Dark Matter
Jun 21, 2014 Dark Matter rated it really liked it
Evie Kendal reviewed this book; for more reviews by Evie, see Evie Kendal on Dark Matter Zine. To see all reviews on Dark Matter Zine, go to Dark Matter Zine's reviews.

Invisible is an anthology collection of short pieces focused on giving a voice to marginalised groups and individuals in fiction. This quote comes from the Introduction and summarises the project well:

“Art without a default, without dominant voices–imagine it! The writers in Invisible want to. Art without a default is art where
Julie
Sep 18, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
This is an anthology of personal essays from fans and creators of sf/f, about finding or not finding representation for parts of their identity in sf/f.

This is the first volume, and I recommend continuing with Invisible 2 for even more personal stories.

The essays are very readable and most people will probably relate personally to at least one or two of them. More importantly, for the ones you don't personally relate to, you can begin to understand how others are viewing the stories and characte
Janet Martin
Feb 19, 2015 Janet Martin rated it really liked it
While I think that folks who fall out of the norm deserve to have their voices heard, most of these essays sounded pretty whiny to me. No one feels normal all of the time. I was an introverted white girl reading boys' books and no one ever talked down to me about them. I was overweight--and on the cruelty scale, that was something to overcome, I can say. I have an autistic grandson--we treat him like a "real" person--with the same kindness and expectations we have for all of the children in our ...more
A.J.
Feb 20, 2015 A.J. rated it really liked it
I have to admit, I found the quality of the essays in this book sort of all over the place. The first few were just...sort of there. They were short and didn't seem to have much point. As the book went on, though, the essays got better.

All of the authors of these essays are different from the general populous for one reason or another. Some of the essays were lamenting the lack of characters like the author in stories. Some were talking about how characters like them were not portrayed accuratel
Riah
This book of essays, most of which are available to read on Jim Hines' blog, represent an important reminder of the reasons that diversity and representation are important, and broader than just race and (binary) gender, although those are important and included too. I particularly appreciated the focus on disability, non-neurotypical people and non-binary gender identity. That said, the essays themselves were uneven in quality, and I liked the idea better in theory than execution. Invisible 2: ...more
Amy Hoodock
Jul 18, 2014 Amy Hoodock rated it it was amazing
I picked this up to read when it was released in April because Jim Hines is the editor and I like that he's been a strong proponent of equality. I've been following the debates in the SciFi community fairly closely over the last year regards racism and sexism and other isms and I know I don't know as much as I should so I decided to give this a try.

Honestly, I expected to saddened and angered by the essays but I also expected the reading to be a bit difficult and sometimes for it to get ranty s
M.E. Garber
Apr 15, 2014 M.E. Garber rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a great set of essays on inclusion/exclusion--in writing and other entertainment media--from the point of view of so many "groups" of people that it almost felt overwhelming. Placing the final essay in that place, though, was a masterful stroke. It toned down the "oh, look at all this stuff I have to think about!" feeling that started creeping over me, and replaced it with a sense of encouragement, of anticipation of my and others' attempts at including people of groups often overlo ...more
Emily
Oct 27, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Resource

The essays in this collection certainly make the case for diversity and representation in science fiction and fantasy. A good resource for authors looking to add depth to their characters.
Sheila
Apr 15, 2014 Sheila marked it as to-read
This began as a series of guest posts on Jim's blog about representation in SFF and is now an expanded e-book, with the proceeds going to Con or Bust. The original essays did a great job of going beyond just gender and racial/ethnic diversity (although those are there and they're great). I'm very excited to read more.
Matthew Thyer
Feb 26, 2015 Matthew Thyer rated it really liked it
Some eye opening ideas in here. Unless you're convinced that SFF should only maintain the status quo, endlessly repeating memes from the 20th century, you're going to want to challenge your understanding of the fiction. This is a good starting point written by a collection of thoughtful people.
Victoria Sandbrook
Aug 11, 2016 Victoria Sandbrook rated it it was amazing
I'll be shelving this one somewhere close by so I can look back at it for reading recommendations and especially for reminders for my own work.
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Lore Graham
Lore Graham rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Besha
Mar 11, 2015 Besha rated it liked it
Important conversations, inconsistent quality and relevance.
Jerusha
Jerusha rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Allicia Wick
Allicia Wick rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Shadowspawn
Shadowspawn rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Maria Lima
Maria Lima rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Blueviolin
Blueviolin rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Popco
Popco rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Jim C. Hines' latest book is REVISIONARY, the fourth in his modern-day fantasy series about a magic-wielding librarian, a dryad, a secret society founded by Johannes Gutenberg, a flaming spider, and an enchanted convertible. He's also the author of the PRINCESS series of fairy tale retellings, the humorous GOBLIN QUEST trilogy, and the Fable Legends tie-in BLOOD OF HEROES. His short fiction has ...more
More about Jim C. Hines...