Start by marking “Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2

Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,801 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
An immortal story of love, adventure, chivalry, treachery and death. Edited and first published by William Caxton in 1485, Le Morte D'Arthur is Sir Thomas Malory's unique and splendid version of the Arthurian legend. Mordred's treason, the knightly exploits of Tristan, Lancelot's fatally divided loyalties and his love for Guenever, the quest for the Holy Grail; all the ele ...more
Published January 30th 1970 by Penguin Classics (first published 1485)

To ask other readers questions about Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Best Arthurian Fiction
85th out of 380 books — 1,291 voters
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo by UnknownLe Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 1 by Thomas MaloryArthurian Romances by Chrétien de TroyesThe History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of MonmouthLe Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2 by Thomas Malory
Medieval Arthurian romance
5th out of 139 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott
Jul 11, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myth-legend
I'm reminded of the self-referential quote from William Goldman's masterpiece The Princess Bride:

"Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman may as well have been writing about Le Morte d'Arthur, which includes pretty much everything on this list.

I'm glad Pe
Marie
Aug 23, 2010 Marie rated it it was ok
What can I say about Le Morte d'Arthur that I didn't say in my review of part 1?

I had to sort of force my way through it, as an essential part of my Arthurian reading. Still, I find that it wasn't worthwhile, really. I had thought it would give me insight into modern Arthurian stuff, which seemed to have little to nothing to do with most of the lays I had read. Someone said that most things are based on Le Morte, so I thought I'd check it out.

I think most things are based on things based on Le M
Jesse
Mar 02, 2011 Jesse rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I found, when I started reading it, that this volume was more difficult than the first. I awarded it to the fact that the first third of the book is a continuation of a the story about Tristram. I didn't really know much about this knight before reading "Le Morte", but I still don't find his story all that intriguing. I feel like it was, perhaps, just another rendition of the love triangle between Lancealot, Artur and Gwen. Only this time we have zero qualms about rooting for the adulterer.

Once
russell barnes
Jun 12, 2013 russell barnes rated it it was ok
This is the way that Arthur ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

Two volumes, almost 700 pages of relentless jousts, avoiding horses, mighty buffets (that's knights groaning under sword strokes rather than tables groaning under the weight of scotch eggs and pork pies), ladies dying for love, dwarves, more tournaments, spears breaking, the quest for the Holy Grail, page upon page of listing Knight's names, further tournaments and knightly adventures featuring jousts, Arthur and Mordred meet in pos
Stephen
Oct 13, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
A few short words cannot express how much this book meant to me and how much the teacher who I had to read it for meant. This book holds the secrets of the universe, of our society, of our pursuit of lonliness and comradery at the same time. If you want to find the cyclic nature of our society check here, if you want to find your character flaws, check here. If you want to see the world in a whole new way, read...esp this one. Thank you Professor Lynch...RIP!
Robert
Feb 26, 2013 Robert rated it it was amazing
I lived in an apartment building in 1989 that had a book swap on every floor. I was traveled each floor mining for literary gold-- and found it with this book. I love this book, it goes into detail on King Arthur and the knights of his court. It tells the major and minor story lines. I go back to it often.
Francisco
Feb 19, 2007 Francisco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clasicos, novela, ingleses
Imprescindible para los obsesionados con los ciclos artúricos, la mejor novela escrita acerca de Arturo. Compleja, enrevesada, monumental... La acción se describe morosamente, a veces no avanza... Sin embargo, es atrayente y sugestiva.
John Keats
Feb 20, 2014 John Keats rated it it was amazing
Just as good as Volume 1. The Quest for the Grail takes up a little more space than I'd like, although it's necessary to reduce Launcelot--relative to his son, Galahad--or at least to define him better as a hero of this world. Redefining is what's going on here, in this second volume. Camelot was established as the best union on earth--but everything in the world, even everything that fights against the Waste Land, is flawed, sinful, lustful, hungry. To me, that's what makes Malory so rich: the ...more
Marie Carls
Mar 11, 2016 Marie Carls rated it really liked it
Shelves: arthurian, own
I first read volume one a few years back. I love fantasy and old books so I thought that I would enjoy it. I didn’t. Random knights seemed to spend all of their time seeking “worship” based on an incomprehensible set of values, women were treated horribly and most just went along with it, Merlin seems to cause death and destruction wherever he prophesied, and we really got to know any of the characters. I rated it three stars and moved on with my life.

Recently I read the The Idylls of the Queen
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 23, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Significant Books
This is the second volume of Le Morte d'Arthur and shouldn't be seen as the second book of a trilogy, just a continuation, and not meant to be read alone. I agree with the reviewer who said this is not for the faint of heart, and few general readers are going to find this a great read. If you're looking for an absorbing, entertaining read with characters you can relate to and root for, you're absolutely, positively in the wrong place. Read instead Arthurian novels such as T.H. White's The Once a ...more
Brian
Jan 05, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok
9/14/09 - 5/10
After reading some about King Arthur in the Fionavar Tapestry series, I decided to explore more. Malory's version of the Arthurian legends and the matter of Britain are one of the earliest English compilations. The books are interesting as history of the Arthurian legends, but the languange is rather stilted and the story is a bit repetitive and not too interesting. It's not a tough read, but becomes a bit boring as it devolves into a knight did this and then smote this and then di
Ke Huang
Jun 21, 2011 Ke Huang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admire Malory for completing this tome, but again, I don't think I'm his ideal reader. To be honest, all that smotting bored me, but maybe some readers like the action-packed tales.

I wasn't sure of the tone of the story, because I thought that the sentence

"Wherefore Sir Mordred made a parliament, and called the lords together, and there he made them to choose him king; and so was he crowned at Canterbury, and held a feast there fifteen days; and afterward he drew him unto Winchester, and there
Dominicqe P
9th grade; 2nd semester; English Honors: Mr. Dickson
Marty
Sep 19, 2012 Marty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read both the first and second volumes in a free Kindle edition. There weren't links to the glossary, but still able to understand most of it. Now wish I had bought an annotated edition. May do that and reread but then again...I have spent a very long time on this already. The books become closer to a modern idea of a story as you move through the 21 books. Thank goodness.
Brian
Nov 15, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
I liked this Arthur series. It could get a bit repetitive at times, but it was really fun to read the classic Arthurian stories. I was surprised that Disney's Sword in the Stone was as close to this version of the story as it was and that Sir Lancelot could be such a jerk :-) it was a fun read overall.
Joshua Dykas
Feb 14, 2016 Joshua Dykas rated it liked it
Can't say I would have rather read this than say The Great Gatsby, but it's one of the books that feels great to have under your belt. It's a classic, and I feel it is referenced enough that it warranted reading all the way through in order to understand some of those references better.
Jacqueline Hjorth
Aug 29, 2014 Jacqueline Hjorth rated it liked it
Interesting but with a very repetitive language. Needs to be written out loud in order to appreciate fully. I can definitely recommend downloading the audiobook on Librivox or something like it to get the rhythm of the language incorporated in your experience of the book.
Martin
Feb 07, 2015 Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very handy and well done edition of the classic Arthurian legends. This book is not for the feint at heart as it is written in old english, but once you get through that roadblock there is a power to the tales that starts to shine through.
Suzannah

Notes to Volume II
Glossary of Proper Nouns
Glossary
James Violand
Dec 04, 2015 James Violand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
Here is the original English version of King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table. Very entertaining. I was taken back to the age of chivalry.
Ashleigh Marks
Mar 25, 2011 Ashleigh Marks rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt the best Arthurian literature is Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur. The penguin edition split into two volumes makes it much easier to read.
Andrew Plasom-scott
Sep 08, 2012 Andrew Plasom-scott rated it really liked it
Better than volume one: the pace picks up increasingly towards the end, with fewer repetitions of derring-do...
Jeffrey Osthoff
Dec 06, 2012 Jeffrey Osthoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the view of chivalry presented in vols I & II is revealing. Perhaps the best telling of the Arthur tales.
V.A. Hezaran
Apr 10, 2013 V.A. Hezaran rated it really liked it
Tough but rewarding read for people who want to get close to the source of Arthurian legend.
sologdin
Mar 31, 2016 sologdin rated it really liked it
the tristan narrative is really first rate. go with the vinaver edition, though.
Tome Addiction
May 09, 2016 Tome Addiction rated it really liked it
Shelves: arthurian
If you took the time to read volume 1 you will take the time to read volume 2.
2bnallegory
Been a long time since I've read this. Time to refresh my memory.
Sharon
Jun 25, 2012 Sharon added it
At last! I'm finished! And it only took me ten years.
B
Aug 19, 2010 B rated it it was amazing
One of the very best book on the legend of King Arthur!
  • The Quest of the Holy Grail
  • The Arthurian Encyclopedia
  • The Journey Through Wales & The Description of Wales
  • Piers Plowman
  • King Arthur
  • Eirik the Red and Other Icelandic Sagas (World's Classics)
  • The Travels of Sir John Mandeville
  • Chronicles of the Crusades
  • The Lais of Marie De France: With Two Further Lais in the Original Old French
  • Troilus and Criseyde
  • The Romance of the Rose
Sir Thomas Malory was a knight in the fifteenth century, who, while imprisoned, compiled the collection of tales we know as Le Morte D'Arthur, translating the legend of King Arthur from original French tales such as the Vulgate Cycle.
More about Thomas Malory...