Start by marking “Sometimes God Has a Kid's Face” as Want to Read:
Sometimes God Has a Kid's Face

Sometimes God Has a Kid's Face

True stories of street kids and the author's experiences with them.
Mass Market Paperback, 111 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Covenant House

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes God Has a Kid's Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes God Has a Kid's Face

Daniella Camacho
Dec 04, 2013 Daniella Camacho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes God Has A Kid's Sace was a really good book! My catechism teacher recommended that we should read it and it would change our perspective on the way we view less fortunate kids who live out on the streets. This book also revealed to the reader different ways in which we can help children living out on the streets. Sister Mary Rose McGeady really made an impact on the lives of many children who once found it hard to cope living on the streets. She fed them, clothed them, and gave them a ...more
Nina Test
Very insightful read but I wish it was more in depth with some stories and I wish there was more to the book. There was only about 100 pages. Quick easy and thought provoking book
Eric
Aug 04, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read about the promise the Covenant House gives to street kids. Also lists helpful hints to tell if your hurting themselves or ready to runaway and how to prevent it. Send through the mail to influence helping with a donation this book was a real creative way to making the world aware of what's happening with the children of America.
Brittany
Aug 23, 2016 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although short, this was a tremendously heartbreaking to read about the abuse these children suffered at the hands of their own families and then the struggle of survival on the streets. I'm glad there are places like the Covenant House to help these children. There is also a great help section in the back of this book.
Christian Singer
Mar 18, 2013 Christian Singer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sister Mary Rose McGeady's heart-warming sharing of the love street kids receive at Covenant House is a must-read for people who care about the needs of others. With love and hope and direction, kids from terrible circumstances can thrive. Thank God for those from Covenant House and other organizations who reach out to hurting kids!
Natalia
Sep 06, 2016 Natalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Touching short stories about real life homeless kids. I remember getting a similar book from Covenant House, "God Isn't Done With Me Yet". Loved that one.
Renee
Oct 24, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read. Wonderful ministry at work at the Covenant House. The stories lead you a bit deeper into what is going on with kids on the street. Encourages compassion and a call to action.
Jack Hansen
A pleasant surprise that breaks one's heart once the homeless children accounts are read in Sister Mary Rose McGready's book, Sometimes God Has A Kid's Face. The author includes the writings of the Covenant House's temporary residents, wayward children and teenagers in America, who find themselves abused at home and then in the streets. This small book is an educational tool for those who are unaware of the tragedy growing in cities in Latin and North America, homelessness of a most vulnerable p ...more
Jan
Dec 25, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnacl
Very short, appeal for people to care for the homeless faceless teens who have been abused mostly by stepfathers and then after they run away by street people using them as prostitutes. I had read an early addition. If you read it you won't look a teens in the big city the same way.
Covenant house is a ministry to rescue and heal teens, and treat them as persons. Not a book to keep but pass on and leave copies around. A real prayer appeal to care.......

There are more then 1,000,000 of these books
Terry Koressel
Sometimes God Has a Kid's Face had an impact on me. It is one of those books that brings one back to the rugged, tough, hard-times reality so many others face. I work hard at my job and I make a comfortable living. Often times I fail to see the brutally difficult lives others live. Sister Mary McGeady is a true saint....a person I wish I was. That is the real value of the book....creating a desire on the part of the reader to contribute to the world in a more humanitarian way. While Sister ...more
Dawn
Absolutely heartbreaking. Sister Mary Rose and Covenant House take in children who have been thrown away by society--many by their own families. It's horrible to think that their home lives are that horrific (and they are), that these poor souls feel like living on the streets becomes the lesser of two evils. Or in one case, a 16 year old girl is pushed out of her own home because her mother cannot afford her anymore, forcing her into the streets. Another young boy, desperate to help his sick ...more
Ken Braley
The majority of the book is very short stories of homeless children who have come to The Covenant House for help. Taken together, the stories give some insight into the many reasons kids end up on the streets, and the many ways The Covenant House helps them. It concludes with a call for support of The Covenant House, and some tips and resources for building or re-building stronger families.

I've read a few books like this lately, of various religious perspectives on doing good in the world. The b
Diane Carrozzo
May 25, 2015 Diane Carrozzo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because one of my students was reading it for one of my assignments. His foster father recommended it to him, and I hope it spoke to this boy on some level. I think it might have because of the various real-life stories told about homeless/run-away children and Covenant House's mission to help them. I really liked the book, but I do have a favorite chapter. It's the one where Sister Mary Rose McGeady (author of this book and founder of Covenant House) refers to Jesus and the ...more
Ariana
Sep 10, 2013 Ariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really changed my point of view, about what kids had to deal with. At first the cover of the book made me repeat the title, God has a kids face. At first I read the book to find out what the title really meant, but as I kept reading I realized what kids had to go through. This book really touched my heart and reading soul. This is a really good book, and also gave me more information about the world back then. Which makes you wonder if children/teens were struggling back then, what ...more
Rachhays
Aug 09, 2015 Rachhays rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took me only an hour to read and was totally worth it. I was given this book by a relative and didn't think much of it but so glad I decided to read it! All a true story! If you have an interest in inner city life it's great for you but is also incredibly heartbreaking at some points. The author is so humble about the work she has done and she is always thanking the people around her. One of the most thought provoking books I have read in a really long time.
Rem
Mar 12, 2016 Rem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
'No stranger I, to death
He lives with me each day.
He tempts me with my grave,
And hides the price I'll pay.'
Pg. 74m

"Lent...is a time to reflect on how we use the goods of the world, and how we deal with our relationships. It's a time to think back if we're really trying to live a life of love, a time to look under the hood of our souls to make sure everything's running all right and see where our defects are." pg. 48
Dolores Ann
Mar 01, 2015 Dolores Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book written by one whom these lost children reached out to and trusted. Please read and pass on to others who may be able to reach these children far better than you or I are able to. Love and care for thy neighbor has never been as important before as it is now in the turbulent World today!!
Heather
Aug 26, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but I'm glad I picked it up. It was an eye-opening experience to read the real-life stories of someone who had worked with children affected by homelessness.
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
I believe everyone should read this book. Most people don't know what living on the streets and being homeless is like, and this story takes you right there up front to it where no one else has gone before. Highly recommended!
Rachel
Too bad the book wasn't longer and able to truly describe these kids and their struggles. Some of the conversations seemed very cut-and-pasted, but overall the book was very good. More people need to read this.
Jeri
Feb 21, 2015 Jeri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that was meant to inform as well as request aid for Covenant House. All the stories were heartbreaking, but hopeful. It wa sprit ten to make people aware. With a copyright date of 2010, one can only imagine how things are now.
Michele Brown
Jan 23, 2015 Michele Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Incredible book. Great stories that make you really pay attention to the plight of runaways. A great read for any parent and teens alike. There is someone out there to help you if you need it
Tobreth Hansen
It is a request for money for a charity and so it just has little excerpts from various kids' stories. It was fine for it's purpose.
Marguerita Johnson
Very small book, very hard stories to read due to the fact that it is about children and things they should never have to suffer
Michelle
Feb 24, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really touching. Kids do not deserve to be mistreated. It's good that they are loved and cared for, and that they realize they are meant to be loved.
Christy
Apr 06, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very intrigued. It kept my attention from the very beginning. I read it from the time I woke up until I went to bed.
Marissa
Marissa rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Meriam Traya
Meriam Traya rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Doris Schumacher
Doris Schumacher rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sister Mary Rose McGeady, DC.

In 1946, she became a sister of the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul (DC).

She received a bachelor's degree in sociology from Emmanuel College in 1955 and a master’s degree in clinical psychology from Fordham University in 1961.

She served as executive director of the Nazareth Child Care Centre for Homeless Children in Boston, executive director of the Asto
More about Mary Rose McGeady...