Start by marking “Keane: The Autobiography: First Edition” as Want to Read:
Keane:  The Autobiography: First Edition

Keane: The Autobiography: First Edition

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,273 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
A publishing phenomenon in hardcover, Roy Keane's autobiography was the biggest selling sports book of the year. Now in paperback it includes a new chapter covering Keane's vindication by the FAI report, and the punishment meted out by the FA and Mick McCarthy's resignation. Brilliantly reviewed, Roy Keane's riveting, brutally honest autobiography has the potential to be o ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Penguin Global (first published August 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Keane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keane

George Bradford
Feb 15, 2009 George Bradford rated it really liked it
Shelves: heroes, ireland
I thoroughly enjoyed this enthralling, frank and hilarious book. Readers not familiar with British colloquialisms and English football culture may find this story difficult to follow. But readers interested in what constitutes the heart of a champion will find Keane The Autobiography both rewarding and indispensable.

Here is the story of a poor Irish footballer from Cork who was too small, too slow and so utterly lacking in fundamental skills that by age 18 he was relegated to a ‘has been’ in org
Caleb Cherrie
Mar 04, 2013 Caleb Cherrie rated it really liked it
Why did I decide to read this book?
I decided to read this book because on the bingo board I needed to read a dairy, autobiography or biography because of this I wanted to read this book because Roy played soccer and I really enjoy this sport. Aswell as he played for Manchester United which is the team I support in the English Premier Leauge.

Which category on the bingo board this book completes?
The category that this book completes is dairy, autobiography or biography. I found this book interesti
Pete daPixie
Another book that came at me from a car boot sale. For me, it promised lots of inside info into the world of modern professional football. The enigmatic Mr Clough at Nottingham. The Ferguson regime at Old Trafford along with some juicy details of the famous dressing room hairdryer. Also
that World Cup upset between R.K. and Mick McCarthy.
Sure enough, this autobiography recounts Keane's career through the 1990's and published in 2002
tells of his World Cup walkout from the Republic of Ireland squad
Paul Wally
Apr 25, 2013 Paul Wally rated it it was ok
Its not bad, but the arrogance is over the top, its what you take away from the book and why its 2 star not 3... Yep, he has a right to be arrogant, one of the best footballers of all time... but the remarks about Sheringham, Schmeichel and even Cantona feels like petulant whining. As with many modern footballers books, it lacks event, you feel they don't really have a life outside football to live!!! Want to read a footballers book? Try Paul McGrath - Back from the Brink... Great read.
Daniel
Jan 20, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
I found this is an above average book. It is a very motivational book because of the type of person Keane is. The book is also very good because it tells events honestly even if it makes the author look bad. However, you do have to enjoy the game of soccer considering the book is about a former soccer player and the events of his life as a soccer player. I would rate the book four out of five because it is very inspirational, honest, but it is written for a special audience.
Paolo
A very good read - we're given alot of information about the young life of Roy Keane that established him as the footballing superstar he became. Roy is a no-nonsense type of guy on and off the pitch. He stands up for what he believes and has the ability to tell it like it is, so for me this book was refreshing. We get some great insights behind the scenes at Man United and International duty, including Roy's side of the 2002 Saipan fiasco.

Like Roy, I'm the type of person who suffers with a shor
Michael Madden
Apr 27, 2012 Michael Madden rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
I must admit that Roy Keane is a hero of mine so I was really looking forward to reading this book. I wasn't disappointed as Roy took me on a "warts and all" journey through his childhood, his personal life and his controversial footballing career. Not at all sycophantic as many of these sports bios can be, instead this is just like Keano was on the field. What you see is what you get.
janghir Chowdhury
Oct 11, 2011 janghir Chowdhury rated it it was ok
Like the story of the plane journeys with Irish FA being in first class and the rest of the players in economy. Its like a modern day George Orwell saga, and also the bit where dear Roy tried to operate on Alf Inge Harlaand's knees during a match at old Trafford with his studs and without anaesthetic.
Graham
Jun 27, 2012 Graham rated it really liked it
A far more simplistic writing style than Sir Alex Ferguson's book, but a good, well written book nonetheless. Keane's honesty gets to the point of almost being uncomfortable at times, but that's what makes it so good. He's not afraid to tell his story the way it is and not afraid of portraying himself in a bad light, which takes guts.
Katie Walker
Nov 25, 2007 Katie Walker rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Football Fans
A really well written book which honestly recounts Kean's life in football. I am not a fan of either Manchester United or Roy Kean, however have a strong respect for him having read the book. I'm sure there was a ghost writer involved, however you do feel that it is Roy's story in his own words. I especially liked the fact that whilst he explained he never tried to excuse, refreshingly honest!
Jonny Dolan
Jan 18, 2012 Jonny Dolan rated it really liked it
A very good read into the mind of a complicated but brilliant footballer. Being a perfectionist often got in the way of his personal relationships but it made him one of the greatest ever Manchester United players.
Margaret
Jun 04, 2011 Margaret rated it liked it
Interesting & well worth 99p at the charity shop!
Mostly it's interesting how much he was drinking and eating kebabs well into the 90s. I had assumed the Wenger revolution of special diets and no alcohol had come into play much earlier than it clearly did.
Joe
Apr 16, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: football
A great player & always interesting as to what he has to say for himself, particularly after the world cup saipan fiasco. Pulls no punches when criticising players, mangers or media pundits.. Good read & another must read for all soccer lovers.
Kyle Lewis
May 28, 2012 Kyle Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hate Manchester Unites & hate parts of Keane's personality, and things he did in his career, but he is a footballing great, in my opinion a genius; reading his autobiography was a pleasure and I was gripped!
Alex de G
Dec 29, 2011 Alex de G rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable read - interesting to see many of these popular events from Roy's perspectives. Nice, easy reading. This is how sporting autobiographies should be written!
Matthew
Apr 18, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Brutal honesty from keano and recognising his own faults (temper) make this book an interesting and riveting read much enjoyed!
heidipj
Apr 16, 2007 heidipj rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
I read this book on recommendation from football head Gary in Brisbane before I even knew who Roy was. It got me interested in football. Got me really interested in Roy! He rocks!
Paul Apps
Oct 30, 2013 Paul Apps rated it liked it
Awesome player !!!
Chris Harrison
Jul 25, 2011 Chris Harrison rated it it was amazing
really really good...was gutted when I got to the end, no holds barred from Keano
Daniel
Jul 25, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
I would like to harken back to my happy childhood but all I seem to remember is that winter was colder and lasted forever.
Moominboy
Aug 30, 2009 Moominboy rated it really liked it
90% football talk, 10% personal stuff. Not a ground-breaking literary achievement, but it is just the thing I expected and wanted from a football biography.
John
Oct 31, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely readable. No small talk here.
Peggy Dyer
Jan 27, 2013 Peggy Dyer rated it it was amazing
Honest, funny, interesting read.
Ian
Aug 01, 2011 Ian added it
As a Man Utd fan, this was a good read.
Dan Weatherer
Jun 28, 2013 Dan Weatherer rated it it was ok
Well, he spends a lot of the book repeating himself and getting ever angrier...
Mithun Kalaga
Nov 17, 2012 Mithun Kalaga rated it it was amazing
An amazingly honest piece by a player renowned for his straight-forward manner on and off the pitch...
Jono
Jul 27, 2011 Jono rated it it was amazing
Great book. Reveals why he is the way he is and also that he is prepared to stand by his beliefs in the face of anything and anyone. A legend.
Soumit Mishra
Jun 19, 2012 Soumit Mishra rated it it was amazing
Honest and Candid
TheDenizen
Oct 11, 2011 TheDenizen rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
It's pretty funny hearing Keane describe the shambles of Ireland's World Cup adventure, and trying to justify hobbling Alfie Haaland, but a whole bunch of this book was very drab stuff indeed.
Kulveer
Feb 05, 2008 Kulveer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in one night. I look up to Keane; he has a focus to win that is rare.
  • Managing My Life: My Autobiography
  • Scholes: My Story
  • Blessed: The Autobiography
  • Sir Bobby Charlton: The Autobiography: My Manchester United Years
  • Football - Bloody Hell!: The Biography of Alex Ferguson
  • Manchester United: The Biography: The Complete Story of the World's Greatest Football Club
  • Morbo: The story of spanish football
  • Giggs: The Autobiography
  • Gazza : My Story
  • Gerrard: My Autobiography
  • Cantona: The Rebel Who Would Be King: The Turbulent Life of Eric Cantona
  • Full Time: The Secret Life Of Tony Cascarino
  • Only a Game?: The Diary of a Professional Footballer
  • Behind the Curtain
Roy Maurice Keane (born 10 August 1971 in Mayfield, Cork) is a retired Irish footballer and the manager of English Championship club Ipswich Town.

In a highly successful 18-year career, he played for Cobh Ramblers in the League of Ireland, Nottingham Forest and, most notably, Manchester United (both in England), before ending his career with a brief spell at Celtic in Scotland.

A dominating central-