Your Disgusting Head: The Darkest, Most Offensive-and Moist-Secrets of Your Mouth, Nose and Ears (The Haggis-on-Whey World of Unbelievable Brilliance)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  31 reviews
For many years the scientific and educational community has wondered and worried about the possibility that semi-sane scholar-pretenders would find the means to put out a series of reference books, filled with ludicrous misinformation and aimed at children. Well, now there is Your Disgusting Head by Dr. and Mr. Doris Haggis-on-Whey. A world-renowned and much feared expert
Published May 28th 2008 by McSweeney's (first published January 1st 2001)

Michelle
More disreputable but hilarious misinformation from Dr. Doris Haggis-on-Whey.
Eric
A good gag gift, if you can find it. This includes some tidbits about gross stuff you can find in your nose, mouth, ears. But for the most part this book is designed to be a conversation piece sitting on your coffee table. Large portions of it are totally invented or off topic or both.

It includes a word search puzzle that is something like this (not copied exactly):

Something like this:

Circle all the words you hear in a dentist's office:

O O O A A A
O A O A O A
O O O A O A
A A H A O H
A A O O A O
Barry
What world changing feat did Fernando de la Mancini-Goldfarb perform in 1911?

What is the truth about the Birdman of Ames, Iowa?

Do you have your mother's, father's or Chester A. Arthur's mouth?

I found the (undoubtedly true) answers to these and countless other questions in Volume 2 No. 241 of 307 of the Haggis-On-Whey World of Unbelievable Brilliance YOUR DISGUSTING HEAD.

There is so much about my head I never knew before, so much my public school education failed to prepare me for.
Kristeeeee
Dec 01, 2007 Kristeeeee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tim and Eric's Awesome Show fans
Mess with your kids while they're still in the womb, and read them this masterpiece. Forget improving their math skills with Mozart, teach them about harelips, quadruple nostrils, dirty faced kids at the fair, and much more in this groundbreaking novel. Fully equipped with lots of pictures for grabby grubby baby hands, too!

Did you know that there is a specific organ in your brain responsible for memorizing Creed lyrics?
alex
Sep 07, 2007 alex rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: appreciaters of asburdity
I learned about the moistness of my head, and how that makes me a better person.
I learned about why my ears are so ugly.
I learned why my pets seem to ingore me.
I memorized all the presidents who did not have ears.
etc. etc.

Brilliant, somewhat snarky, and oddly obsessed with Matthew Broderick and Terre Haute. Works for me.

Thanks, Rebecca!
Jamie Felton
I would compare this to Monty Python maybe. A mocklopedia of information about the human body. McSweeneys does everything with great attention to detail and aesthetic value, and this is no different. It is completely ridiculous and beautifully done.
Nar
Very informative! If you don't understand discordian, absurdist humor, you will think this book is horrible. You'd be wrong, but if you don't understand discordian/absurdist humor, the rest of us think you're horrible.
April
Jan 09, 2008 April rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the more random you are, the better
Recommended to April by: Rachel McCarty, because I recommended Giraffes? Giraffes! to her
Dunno why, but I liked "Giraffes? Giraffes!" better. By the way, neither of these books should be read alone. They should be read cozied up to a good friend and preferably under the influence.
Jim
Extreme silliness in a Python vein. Unfortunately it came into my possession a bit too late as I had already replaced my tongue with a cashmere pullover...
Stefanie
Amazing as usual. The diagrams and tables on pages 13, 21, 48, and the biography of Doris and Benny are what truly solidified my love of this HOW books.
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
Apr 10, 2008 The Cute Little Brown-haired girl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who have kids that are addicted to picking their boogers
Anything about boogers and whatever might live in the dark little holes in my head, well, it just sounds too good to be true that there is a book about it!
cory
Feb 07, 2008 cory rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
one bonus star for the nice printing, one bonus star for the poster and stuff. content is otherwise the same old crap you'd expect from books like this.
Logophile
In this book of unbelievable brilliance you will learn what your tongue color means and other insightful tidbits.
All the good stuff they skipped in A & P.
Leslie
Apr 14, 2008 Leslie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Phoebe isn't old enough for this one,yet, but we have it on the shelf along with giraffes, giraffes by Eggers and his younger brother
Jamie
More silliness from the "Haggis-On-Whey World of Unbelievable Brillance" series. Learn which presidents did not have ears!
Heather
Jul 08, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stupid people who no longer want to be stupid
do you want to learn the political affiliations of various body parts? of course you do. everyone does. so read this book.
Melindita
Sep 11, 2007 Melindita added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Denice!
This book cracks me up. I can't wait to read it aloud with my family! Denice will laugh so hard she won't be able to breathe.
Incoronata
Nov 16, 2007 Incoronata rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every person in the whole wide world
You have to love a book that ask the age old question "where does snot come from?" and answer's it for you Detroit!
Tpiac
Sequel to 'Giraffes? Giraffes!' Definately check out the authors note (or is it the foreward?) in this one.
Dfunky1
A hilarious send-up of science primers, this book leaves you laughing while you learn.
Kate
It must be so fun to make the H.O.W. books. They sure are fun to read.
Nihil
read any of the HOW books, but especially Your Disgusting Head.
Annie
I now feel the confidence to pursue plastic surgery. Thank you.
Scott
I learned many things about my own head.
Christa
I liked Giraffes Giraffes better.
Andy
Another McSweeney's humor book.
James Cradock
Absurd. Well done. Recommended.
Tortla
This sounds like EOTWITNS.
Patrick
Pretty funny.
  • Mountain Man Dance Moves: The McSweeney's Book of Lists
  • The Future Dictionary of America
  • This Book Will Change Your Life
  • McSweeney's #19
  • How to Dress for Every Occasion by the Pope
  • The Clouds Above
  • American Sideshow: An Encyclopedia of History's Most Wondrous and Curiously Strange Performers
  • Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide
  • The Woman Who Swallowed a Toothbrush: And Other Weird Medical Case Histories
  • Cha-Cha Chimps
  • In Me Own Words: The Autobiography of Bigfoot
  • Friends to the End: The True Value of Friendship
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases
Dr. and Mr. Doris Haggis-on-Whey are a joint pseudonym of Dave Eggers and his brother Christopher.
More about Doris Haggis-on-Whey...
Giraffes? Giraffes! (With 5 Giraffe Information Cards) Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid Cold Fusion Children and the Tundra