Start by marking “Thunderhead” as Want to Read:
Thunderhead

Thunderhead (Flicka #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,767 ratings  ·  40 reviews
A follow-up to the childhood classic My Friend Flicka. "That rare achievement, a sequel to a great and richly deserved success that in no way falls short of its distinguished predecessor . . . a fine and singing story."--New York Times
Published January 1st 1967 by Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Thunderhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunderhead

Sandra Visser
An enjoyable and readable adventure that deals more with the interpersonal relationships on the farm than one would have expected from a YA book about horses. The book was initially aimed at an adult market and this can be seen in the sometimes overwrought descriptions of the emotions experienced by parents Nell and Rob. Some descriptions of the landscape, although evocative, are a bit drawn out and halt the pace of the story, which is already thinly spread over almost 400 pages. The cruelty of ...more
Fleur
My favourite childhood book. I read the trilogy it belongs to dozens of times. Actually, although I was horse mad, the angst and effort of the boy Ken is as engaging as that of the eponymous equine hero. The three books - My Friend Flicka is the first, this the second and The Green Grass of Wyoming is the third - totally entranced me, and left me with a lifelong wish to see Wyoming. Ot at least the Wyoming of the book. I still mentally quote from it!
Harini Srinivasan
If you love animals and the outdoors, this is sure to be one of your favourites! A sequel to My Friend Flicka, this book about Flicka's son completely outshines both the previous book and the one that follows, Green Grass of Wyoming. A real tour de force!
Denise
This is the middle book of a trilogy. I happened to pick up this book and I'm sure it would add to your reading pleasure if you had read the 1st volume (My Friend Flicka) but "Thunderhead" can be read as a stand-alone without any loss of understanding the story. There is also a volume following "Thunderhead" called "Green Grass of Wyoming".

This is supposed to be a kid's book but by no means is it juvenile. In fact, it covers some aspects of life that usually aren't found in children's books such
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Finished Mary O'Hara book "Thunderhead". I have read this book a number of times as a kid and still love it as an adult.

Great "horsey" story. Very quick read with glimpses of a slower paced life on a horse ranch.

Would I recommend this book to others: Yes. Would I read it again: Yes,
Kari
This one was as odd, in odd ways, as My Friend Flicka. I liked it better in some ways and not as much in others. Neither is my favorite book, but when I first heard Flicka as a kid I couldn't appreciate the west at all. Having lived in northern Colorado for a decade now, I can read both books much better.
Christina
I did not like this as much as I liked My Friend Flicka, but I'm still glad to have finally read it. Certainly, there are places where the story drags and my attention waned. When it's about Ken, and Thunderhead, horse racing and stallions fighting and exploring the mountains, those parts are wonderful and exciting. The time spent in Nell's head is less fun. A little was all right, but it takes up a huge portion of the book without contributing a lot to the horse story.
Wendy
This book was, in my opinion, pointless and horrible. The whole plot with Thunderhead ended up meaning nothing, and the Rob/Nell subplot was pointless torture. There was no reason for it at all, and I just hated Rob and wished Nell would leave him. I came close to throwing this book out the window, I was so spitting mad. I kept going, though, hoping the resolution would make it all worth while, but it didn't.
Mary S.
This series is a CLASSIC!! I love them so very much, mostly because of everything! The personalizing of the horses, the breathtaking descriptions and even the people are perfect! (Not unbearably perfect. Just DECENT. No modern slang!) And if you're worrying about being too young to read this, I read it at 7! So read this if you love good writing, horses and old books!
Tracey
I read Flicka years ago, had never read Thunderhead until now. A good part of the story focuses on Rob & Nell's relationship and the hardship of life on the ranch rather than the life and times of Thunderhead. Still an interesting story even if it was slow going some of the time, an insight into ideas about horsemanship in the 40s.
Rob
I know these books are always thought of as youth books, but I think that stops at Thunderhead. Very adult story that happens to be, in part, anyway, about a teen-aged boy. Or, perhaps, a better way to think about it is a very serious story for teenaged readers.

I certainly liked it better than My Friend Flicka.
Michelle
Another great "slice of American life" but so much more too. The relationships between father and son, husband and wife, brothers... something young readers can handle and yet very mature themes for us adults. Grand. Everything you want in a book, when you're looking for a really good book to read.
Phyllis
I enjoyed it very much. I would not classify it as a children's book as quite a bit of the story concerns problems between the parents of the teenage boys in the story. They live on a huge ranch in Wyoming and the father tries to support his family by raising and selling horses.
H. Gibson
Chronicles of Han Storm Book Club Read

A classical book describing life, relationships and survival in the Australian Bush. Subconsciously, the lessons stuck and helped me through tough times in my own life. A definite read for any child that likes animals.
Wendy Webber
The writing of the wild horses particularly was completely captivating. It takes you into another world of appreciation of the beauty of these fine creatures. It seemed to the me the writing in this sequal was even better than the predecessor. Loved it!
Angela Castro
One of my favorite books ever--I read it in my horse-crazy days back in the early 60s and it was actually my dad's copy from when he was a boy. I still have the book and will treasure it always. This is truly an enduring story as are all of O'Hara's books.
Ady
I remember seeing the movie over and over as a little girl and then my dad deleted it from the VCR tape...that was a disaster!!! Love d the book...made me want to go to Wyoming...I ended up close enough in Colorado ;-)
Heather Denigan
Thunderhead was a bit over my head, like the rest the series, at the time when I picked it up. But I still remember it being compelling and I liked it better than My Friend Flicka. Needs a revisit, I think.
Sharon
Hit this one at the height of my horse mania. I actually kept it when my grandmother's neighbor loaned it to me (along with "My Friend Flicka). Oh well, if that's my worst crime, I'll be doing fine.
Suzanne
I can't believe I didn't read these books when I was a kid. Thought I devoured all the horse stories that were ever written. I'm definitely saving these for my grandchildren!
Anie
The sequel to My Friend Flicka, this is another lovely book about Ken growing up with his horses. It portrays Ken's changing self quite well and, I feel, quite realistically.
Alyssa
I actually liked this sequel better than My Friend Flicka. (or it's just been a long time since I've read it). I liked how you were privy to the horse's consciousness.
Morgan
Cool book =] Got the 1945 hardback version from my granddad, and when I finally bothered to read it I wish I had sooner! Makes you feel like you're really there.
Rayni
I was so excited to find there was a book after My Friend Flicka. I've been thinking of this series of books as I've watched the green grass return this spring.
Cynthia L.
Aug 03, 2008 Cynthia L. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens & horse lovers
As a teen, methinks I liked it a smidge less that My Friend Flicka; however, as a 40-something, it was a delightful escape to a world away from my own.
C
Book 2 of My Friend Flicka trilogy. I loved it. Darker than the first book, but the saying "it's always darkest before the light" applies.
Jack
Jul 31, 2008 Jack rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-teen
Recommended to Jack by: Grandmother
This was the sequel to My Friend Flicka, and I didn't enjoy it as much. I'm not sure why. Possibly because Ken grew up faster than I did.
Jill
I always wanted a horse (and still want one). Thunderhead would have been too much of a handful, but the book was fun.
Gloria
sequel to flicka. good sequel. i liked flicka better, personally, but i still loved this one.
Mary Jackson
One of my favorite childhood books, I probably read this book at least five times.
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • Silver Brumbies of the South
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
Mary O’Hara Alsop, an American author, screenwriter, and composer, was born July 10, 1885, in Cape May, N.J., to Reese Fell Alsop and Mary Lee (Spring). She grew up in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y., where her father was an Episcopal clergyman.

In 1905, Ms. O'hara married Kent Kane Parrot, whom she later divorced. Her second marriage to Helge Sture-Vasa from Sweden in 1922 also ended in divorce in 1947. Ms
More about Mary O'Hara...
My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1) Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3) The Catch Colt Green Grass Of Wyoming 1 Wyoming Summer