Start by marking “The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Fans of Richard Lederer's Anguished English series will cherish this newest installment of the author's latest chronicle of the gifts and gaffes of our oddball language. From headlines to menus, student papers to politicians' speeches, every embarrassing example is true-and wonderfully funny.
Published July 23rd 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride of Anguished English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride of Anguished English

Moms are Nuts by Amy VansantWeird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen CampbellDogshit Saved My Life by Karl WigginsF in Exams by Richard BensonCake Wrecks by Jen Yates
Best Humorous Non-Fiction
41st out of 131 books — 116 voters
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian FlemingMoo by Jane SmileyChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. SeussMr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss
Onomatopoeic Titles
67th out of 68 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Jet
Aug 31, 2007 Jet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers. Really. *grin*
Shelves: fluffybooks
It started out funny - but I reckon, too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. I did have a few laughs at some of the most random examples Lederer quoted. I have a few friends who are teachers and will definitely love this book, if only to lift examples and entertain their English classes.

Still, if you read it, read it in small doses.
Beverly
A worthy successor to the first 2 books in the series, with much of the humor resulting from malapropisms, misplaced modifiers, misspellings, or dangling participles and dangling clauses.
Tina
I never thought I would read something that would make me laugh so hard that I not only cried but worried my husband as well! The chapter on the headlines in particular is where I lost it.
Aimee
It was funny, some parts more so than others. This is an excellent "bathroom book." You know, the kind that's easy to stop and start so you can read it in the bathroom.
Sheila Coldiron
I laughed until I cried and then laughed some more until my side ached. If you don't get your daily quota of laughs, this book will fulfill the requirement.
Melody
Funny stuff!
Terri
Terri added it
Nov 16, 2014
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Suvi Ahonen
Suvi Ahonen marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
alba
alba marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Si Mei
Si Mei marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Cathy Mortell-miller
Cathy Mortell-miller marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Brandon Byrd
Brandon Byrd is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Donna Wilson
Donna Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jutta
Jutta added it
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
  • Dave Barry's Money Secrets: Like: Why Is There a Giant Eyeball on the Dollar?
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
  • Disorder in the Court: Great Fractured Moments in Courtroom History
  • Welcome to Jasorassic Park: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • Word Nerd: More Than 17,000 Fascinating Facts about Words
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • English as She Is Spoke: Being a Comprehensive Phrasebook of the English Language, Written by Men to Whom English was Entirely Unknown
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • An Exaltation of Larks: The Ultimate Edition
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
Richard Lederer is the author of more than 35 books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his current book, The Gift of Age. He has been profiled in magazines as diverse as The New Yorker, People, and the National Enquirer and frequently appears on radio as a commentator on language. He has been named International Punster of the Year and Toast ...more
More about Richard Lederer...
Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language Crazy English More Anguished English: an Expose of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English The Miracle of Language Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language