Start by marking “The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Fans of Richard Lederer's Anguished English series will cherish this newest installment of the author's latest chronicle of the gifts and gaffes of our oddball language. From headlines to menus, student papers to politicians' speeches, every embarrassing example is true-and wonderfully funny.
Published July 23rd 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride of Anguished English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride of Anguished English

Moms are Nuts by Amy VansantWeird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen CampbellDogshit Saved My Life by Karl WigginsCalico Jack in your Garden by Karl WigginsF in Exams by Richard Benson
Best Humorous Non-Fiction
93rd out of 237 books — 160 voters
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian FlemingMoo by Jane SmileyChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. SeussMr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss
Onomatopoeic Titles
67th out of 68 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 31, 2007 Jet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers. Really. *grin*
Shelves: fluffybooks
It started out funny - but I reckon, too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. I did have a few laughs at some of the most random examples Lederer quoted. I have a few friends who are teachers and will definitely love this book, if only to lift examples and entertain their English classes.

Still, if you read it, read it in small doses.
A worthy successor to the first 2 books in the series, with much of the humor resulting from malapropisms, misplaced modifiers, misspellings, or dangling participles and dangling clauses.
I never thought I would read something that would make me laugh so hard that I not only cried but worried my husband as well! The chapter on the headlines in particular is where I lost it.
It was funny, some parts more so than others. This is an excellent "bathroom book." You know, the kind that's easy to stop and start so you can read it in the bathroom.
Sheila Coldiron
I laughed until I cried and then laughed some more until my side ached. If you don't get your daily quota of laughs, this book will fulfill the requirement.
Brandon Byrd
Funny like the previous books. Some content is repeated from previous books, though most is fresh.
Funny stuff!
Jenny marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Amandarose marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Theresa Cummings
Theresa Cummings marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
David Weiss
David Weiss marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Veeral marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Aaron Rath
Aaron Rath marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
ACOM marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
  • The Taming of the Screw
  • Signspotting 2 : More Absurd and Amazing Signs from Around the World
  • Sniglets (Snig'lit): Any Word That Doesn't Appear in the Dictionary, But Should
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Word Nerd: More Than 17,000 Fascinating Facts about Words
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Teh Itteh Bitteh Book of Kittehs
  • Disorder in the Court: Great Fractured Moments in Courtroom History
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word for It
Richard Lederer is the author of more than 35 books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his current book, The Gift of Age. He has been profiled in magazines as diverse as The New Yorker, People, and the National Enquirer and frequently appears on radio as a commentator on language. He has been named International Punster of the Year and Toast ...more
More about Richard Lederer...
Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language Crazy English More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language The Miracle of Language