The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Fans of Lederer's beloved Anguished English series will cherish this newest installment of the gifts and gaffes of oddball language. Chock-full of intelligence, humor, and down-to-earth advice, The Bride of Anguished English will delight readers again and again. Illustrations.
Published July 1st 2002 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published 2000)

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen CampbellF in Exams by Richard BensonCake Wrecks by Jen YatesWhy Do Men Have Nipples? by Mark LeynerThe Customer Is Not Always Right by A.J.  Adams
Best Humorous Non-Fiction
37th out of 117 books — 78 voters
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian FlemingMoo by Jane SmileyMr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. SeussChattering Courtesans and Other Sardonic Sketches by LucianChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Onomatopoeic Titles
66th out of 67 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Jet
Aug 31, 2007 Jet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers. Really. *grin*
Shelves: fluffybooks
It started out funny - but I reckon, too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. I did have a few laughs at some of the most random examples Lederer quoted. I have a few friends who are teachers and will definitely love this book, if only to lift examples and entertain their English classes.

Still, if you read it, read it in small doses.
Beverly
A worthy successor to the first 2 books in the series, with much of the humor resulting from malapropisms, misplaced modifiers, misspellings, or dangling participles and dangling clauses.
Tina
I never thought I would read something that would make me laugh so hard that I not only cried but worried my husband as well! The chapter on the headlines in particular is where I lost it.
Aimee
It was funny, some parts more so than others. This is an excellent "bathroom book." You know, the kind that's easy to stop and start so you can read it in the bathroom.
Sheila Coldiron
I laughed until I cried and then laughed some more until my side ached. If you don't get your daily quota of laughs, this book will fulfill the requirement.
Melody
Funny stuff!
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Donna Wilson
Donna Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jutta
Jutta added it
Jul 16, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Courtlyn
Courtlyn marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Amy Salitsky
Amy Salitsky marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Carola
Carola marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Vasan
Vasan added it
Mar 22, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Mary Reindorp
Mary Reindorp marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Richard Lederer is the author of more than 35 books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his current book, The Gift of Age. He has been profiled in magazines as diverse as The New Yorker, People, and the National Enquirer and frequently appears on radio as a commentator on language. He has been named International Punster of the Year and Toast...more
More about Richard Lederer...
Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language Crazy English More Anguished English: an Expose of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language The Miracle of Language