Start by marking “An Alien Affair” as Want to Read:
An Alien Affair

An Alien Affair (Mission Earth #4)

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  1,582 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A monumental work -- acclaimed as agenuine masterpiece -- L. Ron Hubbard's 1.2-million-word-ten-volume MISSION EARTH dekalogy brilliantly blends science fiction and action/adventure on a vast interstellar scale with stinging satire -- in the literary tradition of Voltaire, Swift and Orwell -- on the world's foibles and fancies.A true publishing phenomenon -- precedent-sett ...more
Published May 1st 1989 by Bridge Publications (CA) (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about An Alien Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Alien Affair

Myk
Feb 10, 2009 Myk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The biggest problems with this series is that the bad guy is just to bad, there are no redeeming quatlities to his character. The good guy is to good, he doesn't seem to have any character flaws. I really consider this to be high school or middle school reading level. I will finish this series, but I will probably regret it.
David Sarkies
Mar 31, 2012 David Sarkies rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody - It is rubbish
Recommended to David by: Nobody, I saw it on a bookshelf and thought it might be interesting
Shelves: sci-fi
A book for flagellants everywhere
31 March 2012

This is where this series starts to become really painful and irritating and I really do not know why I continued through this series to the seventh book. Maybe because I am a sucker for punishment, though it is not as if any punishment was being doled out to me but rather because I was exposing myself to it. These books aren't good science-fiction and don't have any literary merit. One wonders how it is that they became international best sellers d
Seth
Aug 14, 2008 Seth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This could be the worst book I've ever read. At some point even a train wreck gets so bad that you want to turn your head and stop looking. The book starts out boring, gets hilariously bad, offensively bad, then probably another kind of bad that I haven't even imagined (I'm still reading it). I teach English to Vietnamese kids. This book is making me question whether or not they should bother learning the language at all. It's the kind of thing you can really only read on a dare. Thanks a lot, J ...more
Denis
Mar 29, 2012 Denis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover
Take all ten of these books and boil 'em down all night... no, leave it on the burner for a whole week. Reduce it too a thick dense sticky sauce. And still, this will have very little flavour.

There was the seed of a decent parody in there within the first two books then the joke was over. The joke became, "...let's make it ten books, just so to call it a "dekalogy".
Bill Davis
May 24, 2012 Bill Davis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trash
Helen Driver
Jul 10, 2013 Helen Driver rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After having a great time with Fordlandia, I decided to ruin this streak of beautiful weather and great literature by reading an actual novel by L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology and all-round total weirdo. My brother bought this for me from Australia several year ago, and I’d never had the urge to read it until a few weeks ago, when I thought “Hey, I’ll play a little joke on myself and put myself in a really bad mood by reading this book with a stupid title written by a stupid man”.

Oh my
Craig
May 04, 2015 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mission Earth series is a big, bloated, fun and funny dekalogy* of pulp and satire and non-stop action. It's not a serious work, nor was it intended to be; I believe Hubbard wrote it simply out of fondness for the field, the way it was when he was beginning his career. He surely didn't need the money. It lampoons everything from economics to law enforcement to crime to space opera to science and all stops in between. It's not a particularly well-written work of literature, but is engaging an ...more
Nonethousand Oberrhein
Our saviour comes from Voltar
Splitted in ten volumes for editorial (and practical) reasons, the Mission Earth series can be seen as a continuous narrative whose chapters are identified by the different books. This “space opera-ish” saga (not a lot of space travels, but alien technological gizmos are everywhere!) will follow the comically clumsy actions of corrupted voltarian agent Soltan Gris as he narrates his attempts to sabotage and destroy the brave Jettero Heller, another native from planet
Tracy
Dec 02, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this series several years ago with a friend. It was a daunting task at 10 books but we were determined. It's not the usual sort of series I read but I had heard a lot about it and had some highschool friends who loved it.

It's tough to review just one book in the series because the full story is told in all 10 books. You have to read all 10 to find out what happens.

Certainly some of the books were better than others, more exciting and adventurous, but its rare that a 10 book series doesn
Reading
Absolute drivel.

I am wondering if I can be bothered to go write this on all the books of the series that I actually managed to slog through, and I might. Been reading sci-fi since I remember myself and almost never have I dropped a book halfway through. I really tried with this "epic" series, really did. On book 4 now and have decided that there is no way I am devoting another precious minute of my life to this.

The story has something in it, but there are so many unnecessary twists and turns, t
J. Pedersen
Very relaxing reading.
The book suggests an interesting point of view on the power structure on Earth.
Moreover, it gives a look into the future, as I do not like to see it, but have seen it go into that direction in my 66 years, with human values being devaluated by ruthless media people, paid by those in power.
As science fiction, it draws a fantastic, but not at all unrealistic picture of what may come.
Kept simple, the plot is easy to follow, after a few chapters maybe a little predictable, but
Timothy Boyd
While not as totally horrible as the Battlefield Earth book these aren't that great. There are some good plots themes and a sorta pulpish feel to the characters, but overall it seems to fall short of what it could be. The story seems to ramble and could have been cut by 1/3 and still got the point across. The random sex and sadistic events just seem to be placed in there not for storyline but for shock value. Not recommended
Attila Benő
I bought this series of books because I wanted to read something longer, not just a single book. The sci-fi genre, and the book description got my attention, so there I was, taking all the books in the series home, and...... quite frankly not liking it too much. It was okay, but this was one of the rare purchases that I regretted.
Jason Sta. Maria
This book was a little bit better compared to the previous books. It has a lot of hilarious scenarios. The ending was always still the best (just like the previous books) because The Countess Krak was finally arrived on our planet and she'll surely help her boyfriend Jettero Heller to complete his mission.
Michelle
Nov 30, 2016 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this entire series when I was ~12. Even then I knew it was sexist and uncomfortably white. I was going to give it the benefit of a doubt and reread it as a 44 year old adult; however, I just finished trying to read Battlefield Earth, and I think I'm just going to trust my original judgement.
Tala Kabakubji
lo
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas
I read these in high school and found them compelling, but as I reflect on them, I recall them being rather stupid, oversexed, and pointless.
Lew
This was a wasted book in the decology. Practically the whole story is a satire on PR. Not very exciting or interesting as far as a science fiction story.
Peter
May 09, 2012 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Read this one too - sigh
Ricardo
Jul 19, 2009 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Series of Science Fiction novels.
curtis chittenden
Best book yet

this is the best book I've read in this series yet with plenty of action and good satirical references. Best one since book 1.

Bradley
Definitely addicting. Not quite as wonderful as the previous three titles though, or my judgement is skewed because I have a bad cold. =)
Brian
Jan 15, 2012 Brian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A guy is kidnapped and tortured by a couple of lesbians, then breaks free and rapes them, thus 'curing' them. And this was not the only instance of 'rape as therapy' in this series.
Marionela
Marionela rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Stephen Wenzel
Stephen Wenzel rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Sheena Hocking
Sheena Hocking rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Coreycw
Coreycw rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
Terribrown
Terribrown rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2009
Sean Sward
Sean Sward rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Andrew Ward
Andrew Ward rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2015
  • The Final Nexus
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • The Last Man on Earth
  • Four Frontiers
  • Three Minute Universe
  • Voices
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • The Joy Machine
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • New Frontier (Star Trek New Frontier: #1-4)
  • Inferno (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Millenium, #3)
  • The Overman Culture
  • The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name
  • Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #4)
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
With 19 New York Times bestsellers and more than 350 million copies of his works in circulation, L. Ron Hubbard is among the most acclaimed and widely read authors of our time. As a leading light of American Pulp Fiction through the 1930s and ’40s, he is further among the most influential authors of the modern age. Indeed, from Ray Bradbury to Stephen King, there is scarcely a master of imaginativ ...more
More about L. Ron Hubbard...

Mission Earth (10 books)
  • The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, #1)
  • Black Genesis (Mission Earth, #2)
  • The Enemy Within (Mission Earth, #3)
  • Fortune of Fear (Mission Earth, #5)
  • Death Quest (Mission Earth, #6)
  • Voyage of Vengeance (Mission Earth, #7)
  • Disaster (Mission Earth, #8)
  • Villainy Victorious (Mission Earth, #9)
  • The Doomed Planet (Mission Earth, #10)